http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about getting a PSP.  (Read 643 times)
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »

With the new baby in the house, I've been only able to play in short bursts. I have a DS, but lately nothing has been interesting to me. So I'm thinking of getting a PSP. So I would like to hear what games people would recommend. I like all kinds of different games the only thing I don't for are FPS.

So help a new dad get his gaming fix and tell me what are the best games out there for the PSP!

docD
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »

I have a PSP for a similar family reason.  It allows me to play games in the same room while my wife or kids are watching tv.  Load times are a little better with the new PSP, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the older one if finances are a big issue.  Anyway, I highly recommend both a DS and a PSP for that reason.  It just depends on what types of games strike your fancy.

Getting back to your question, the PSp allows you to have an almost PS2-like experience.  In terms of game genres, you are pretty much covered there too:

Sports games - much better than a DS.
Racing game - are good, but Burnout has really long load time, Wipeout is a blast
SRPGs - Jeanne D'Arc and FFT and Disgaea!
FPS and 3PS - control schemes take a little getting used to, but are getting better

Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:23:20 AM »

I guess I'll jump in here and ask about strategy/tactical games for the DS and PSP - I don't have either, but I'm starting to do a little research, and its very tempting to pick one up.  I know DS has the Advance Wars (I believe thats the right name) that people rave about, but is there anything else like that for DS?  And what about the PSP?

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

Quote from: Knightsabre on October 10, 2007, 02:23:20 AM

I guess I'll jump in here and ask about strategy/tactical games for the DS and PSP - I don't have either, but I'm starting to do a little research, and its very tempting to pick one up.  I know DS has the Advance Wars (I believe thats the right name) that people rave about, but is there anything else like that for DS?  And what about the PSP?

Field Commander is an Advanced Wars clone on the PSP. The only tactical kind of game I have on the DS is Luminous Arc (besides Advanced Wars, which I think is a bit over rated), which is good, but not great. Warhammer Squad Commander is a tactics style game that is coming out for both systems and looks great (especially on the PSP). PSP seems to be the better choice right now for that kind of game with the games KC mentioned. Although you can play the old GBA games on the DS, like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, Fire Emblem, and Ogre Tactics.

That said I prefer the DS to the PSP because I like the puzzle style games that come out for it and I like the controls of the DS much better. I have issues controlling action games on the PSP and my hands get sore quick.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 02:43:58 AM »

Quote from: Knightsabre on October 10, 2007, 02:23:20 AM

PSP has Jeanne D'Arc, which is one of the best SRPG's I've ever played.  It's also getting ports of both Final Fantasy Tactics (the original PS version) and Disgaea.  Those 3 titles alone could keep you playing for months.  I'm not into Warhammer, but the Squad Commander game looks like it has a ton of potential.

Outside of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (a GBA game) I haven't really been able to get into many of the other DS/GBA SRPG titles.  Advance Wars does nothing for me, neither does the Fire Emblem series.  Luminous Arc isn't bad, but it's not great either.

Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 04:17:28 AM »

Hmm, sounds like PSP might be better for me, at least.  Have to start peeking at ebay . . . thanks all!

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:22:35 AM »

You can't go wrong with Killzone Liberation for an action shooter, it's a top down shooter with a simple, but effective cover mechanic and some really great AI.  Controls are pretty easy to grasp too.

You've got platformers like Ratchet and Clank, Daxter, even the quirky Loco Roco.

For third person shooters, the recent Syphon Filter game, Logan's Shadow, is getting really good reviews.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: