http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about getting a Gamecube...  (Read 1339 times)
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005, 04:19:06 PM »

So, reviews of Resident Evil 4 have finally pushed me to critical mass with regards to purchasing a Gamecube.  There are enough games I want to play on the nintendo system to warrant getting it.

What do I need to know about it?  I have a PS2 and XBox already.  What does the gamecube use for game saves?  If it is cards, are they expensive, do they have enough storage that I won't need to buy lots of them like I have for my PS2?

How about the controller?  I find that the XBox S-controller is the most comfortable console controller I have ever used.  The PS2 controller is a little too small for comfort on long gaming sessions.  Which one is the Gamecube controller comparable to?

Now, as for the games, the ones that have been pushing me towards getting the nintendo are things like Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Paper Mario (I generally don't enjoy mario games, never tried one on the GC though, but the idea of a 2D world with an RPG sounds interesting to me) and the latest Resident Evil game, of course.

I know there are two Paper Marios, is one of them actually a sequel to the other, or is it just an expansion in gameplay?

I think that is all my questions...

I know that is a lot of questions about the cheapest of the consoles, but I have hated the Nintendo Corporation ever since they screwed over Atari back in the 1980's.   Therefore, now that I am thinking of giving them money, I guess I want reassurances that the Gamecube isn't going to destroy my house, or kill my cat, and that it will be just as comfortable to sit there and play for hours with that silly looking controller.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"

How about the controller?  I find that the XBox S-controller is the most comfortable console controller I have ever used.  The PS2 controller is a little too small for comfort on long gaming sessions.  Which one is the Gamecube controller comparable to?

If you find the PS2 controller too small, you'll hate the GC controller, IMO.  It's *tiny* - my large-ish hands cramp much quicker with the GC than any other controller.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 05:09:51 PM »

I own all three consoles and would highly recommend the Gamecube (if anything at least to complete your triad of all three systems biggrin ).  In fact, my GC games (~15) equal the amount of my Xbox games.  What's lagging is my PS2, I only own 3 PS2 games.  It is definitely the 3rd place console in my house.

Like you I grew up on Atari and never owned a Nintendo system.  I also always "hated" the Mario universe.  Boy has that changed!  I love them now.  Among the Mario'ish games I own and recommend:

Mario Power Tennnis
Mario Party 6 (Highly Recommend)
Warioware
Mario Kart
Donkey Konga (w/ bongo's)
Paper Mario 2 (Highly Recommend)
Mario Golf
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Luigi's Mansion (Highly Recommend)

I also own and recommend:

Animal Crossing (Highly, Highly Recommend - comes w/ 57 block memory card)
Legend of Zelda:  The Windwaker (Highly, Highly Recommend)
Custom Robo
Metroid Prime
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 (Highly Recommend)
Resident Evil 4 (Highly, Highly Recommend)

The GC uses memory cards.  If I remember correctly, the 251 block card only costs $19.99 (maybe $14.99).  I have one and it is all I need.  Most game saves are between 2-10 blocks with a few exceptions.  The controllers are light and very comfortable to me and also only cost I believe $19.99 (minus the one the system comes with).  The only thing about the controllers I don't like is that the cords are too short.  I believe extensions are sold though for like $4.  I tried out a Wavebird wireless controller ($29.99) and found it to be fantastic, but I don't own one yet.

I believe, if the deal is still going on, Nintendo is currently offering a platinum-colored GC with two controllers and Mario Kart all for $99!

I am truly surprised at how much I use and enjoy my Gamecube.  I originally picked one up to play Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee, which was at that time a GC exclusive.  It was also at this time I became a "Mario" fan.  I never looked back again.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 05:13:13 PM »

What do I need to know about it?  I have a PS2 and XBox already.  What does the gamecube use for game saves?  If it is cards, are they expensive, do they have enough storage that I won't need to buy lots of them like I have for my PS2?

You'll want to purchase the Nintendo Memory Card 151 (or some number close to that). That one card will be more than enough for all of your saving needs (about $20). I've had my Gamecube since launch, and I still have space left.

I have no qualms about the small controller, but it is the smallest of the three controllers by far. As long as you aren't playing any titles that require both analog sticks at the same time all the time (of which there aren't that many), you'll be fine.

I know that is a lot of questions about the cheapest of the consoles, but I have hated the Nintendo Corporation ever since they screwed over Atari back in the 1980's.   Therefore, now that I am thinking of giving them money, I guess I want reassurances that the Gamecube isn't going to destroy my house, or kill my cat, and that it will be just as comfortable to sit there and play for hours with that silly looking controller.

Last time I checked, Atari caused the great videogame crash back in the 80s because they produced a ton of absolutely worthless games that everybody just had to have, and the industry collapsed upon itself (See: ET). Nintendo themselves brought it back from the grave. But that's not here or now.

I've been a Nintendo supporter ever since the NES, and I'm still here. Odds are the system will last forever and a day as well. But ultimately, it's up to you if you wish to take that kind of risk. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 05:58:03 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Last time I checked, Atari caused the great videogame crash back in the 80s because they produced a ton of absolutely worthless games that everybody just had to have, and the industry collapsed upon itself (See: ET).

While Atari definitely had their role in the crash, it certainly wasn't confined to them... there were *so* many half-rate third part games flooding into stores for all the consoles.  Finding the proverbial needle in the haystack of crap games was too exhausting for both gamers and retailers alike.  (Which made Nintendo's "seal of approval" and licensing such a wise move).  Atari wasn't innocent of this (Pac-Man and E.T. being the prime examples), but they did manage to produce many excellent games and arcade ports - when rushing the game out for Christmas wasn't a concern.

Not to mention the growing dominance of home computers severely cut into the profits of the videogame manufacturers at the same time.  I distinctly remember having no interest in consoles once I got my Commodore 64 - they were simply capable of so much more.

The videogame companies couldn't compete with home computers on their own turf, though they desperately tried - every console manufacturer at one time prototyped a keyboard add-on of some sort, but   most never made it past the planning stages, and Coleco's ADAM bankrupted the company, for example.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 06:38:34 PM »

I just purchased a new gamecube two days ago (after selling it last year). There are a couple of deals I know about that you might want to look into. First, there is a deal at Costco which has the GC, extra controller and a memory card all for $100. Good deal. The other one, and the one I found and purchased, might be a little harder to get ahold of. It is at Gamestop. Its the Mario kart combo. it comes with an extra controller and mario kart. Again a good deal. Its hit and miss with this one though.

As far as memory cards go, Nintendo has 3 kinds. The 1019 (or something like that), which is huge. Its fairly new and you would never need more then one of these. It seems to run about $30. Then there is the 251. Its fourthhe size of the big one and still has more then you will need for a while at least. It runs around $20. The third is the 59. It has very little storage, and you probably will need multiple ones of these. the official Nintendo ones run around 10-15 I want to say, but there are some third party ones where you can get two for $10. Depending on how comfortable you are with having third party memory cards. The numbers represent the number of blocks avaliable.

As far as controllers, I actually like the feel of the GC controller quite a bit. It really seems to cradle your hand, but it is a tad bit smaller then the S type (my favorite controller as well). It is bigger then the playstation 2 controllers as well. If you are considering buying a game cube, my suggestion is to purchase the wavebird. It is a wireless controller. Its really the best wireless controller ever. I would highly recommend it. In fact, I would reccomend 4 if you want to know the truth. They are the best by far.

Great games are for the cube, especially since you havnt ahd one yet.My suggestlions:

Mario Sunshine
Zelda: The wind waker
Resident Evil
Mario Kart
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Worms 3d (I have always loved worms)
Paper Mario: Thousand years door (great game so far)
Resident Evil 4

There are tons more, but these are my favorite so far. Im not a fan of metorid at all, so I cant suggest it, but most people seem to like it.

Have fun!

Edit to add:
Other games which are fun:
Animal Crossing (great for me mostly because it has NES gmaes throughout it).
FF:CC (pretty fun, but it got pretty repetative for me. Great MP though).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »

"I have hated the Nintendo Corporation ever since they screwed over Atari back in the 1980's"
Yikes, way to hold a grudge slywink  Seriously, what did they do?  I know they offered Atari the rights to sell the NES in the US, and Atari turned them down, or something like that, but that's about it.

"I know there are two Paper Marios, is one of them actually a sequel to the other, or is it just an expansion in gameplay? "
There's Paper Mario for the N64 and Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door for the Gamecube.  They share similar gameplay, but I don't think there's any storyline connection between the two.  The Gamecube version is fantastic.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 09:03:39 PM »

I got a cube when they fell to 149.00 with metroid prime. I have a PC,Xbox,DS, etc. And I love it. Animal crossing is good fun. RE4 is absolutly great. Zelda the windwaker is great. Metroid prime, another fun one. You see where this going... :wink: I like the cube quite a bit!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 09:07:48 PM »

The Wavebird (the wireless GCN controller) is my favorite video game controller ever. I think it should be comfortable for an X-Box user, though smaller. (The first time I played an X-Box, I found its controller very comfortable in large part due to the similarity to the cube controller. As opposed to the Sony controllers which I hate...)

Definitely be sure to get Eternal Darkness! Fantastic game! All the others mentioned in the thread are great too!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:28:04 PM »

EddieA, I hold a grudge for a long time.  I mean, a looooong time.  Even for things that have nothing to do with me.  I still hate France for making Germany pay such horrible reparations for World War I, that the country was ripe for the Nazi party to step in and cause another few million deaths in a useless stupid war.

The way I remember how my grudge against Nintendo came about, through the haze of 20 years, is this: Nintendo sold games for the Atari console, which helped give them enough money to launch a console for the american market.  Later, when Atari tried to sell games for the Nintendo system, Nintendo sued their pants off.  Atari didn't really recover.

That is how I remember it, anyway.  I hate that kind of crap.  I liked Atari, because theirs was the first game machine I ever played with.  I can't even guesstimate how many hours I spent with Adventure and Superman.  My brother and I got so good at Adventure that we would take turns setting things up for each other so it would be different from the regular gameplay.

Messing with the company that gave me those memories makes me mad.  What Atari is now (a rotting, walking corpse of its former self), makes me even madder.  

Sure, I know, Atari probably wasn't the most princely company, but they didn't shut Nintendo out...

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:39:59 PM »

The way I remember how my grudge against Nintendo came about, through the haze of 20 years, is this: Nintendo sold games for the Atari console, which helped give them enough money to launch a console for the american market.  Later, when Atari tried to sell games for the Nintendo system, Nintendo sued their pants off.  Atari didn't really recover.

Didn't quite happen that way smile  Nintendo never directly tried to sell games for consoles prior to the NES.  Some of their arcade titles ended up on Atari consoles through various third party publishers, but the only Nintendo game that Atari published directly was Mario Bros. (The original, not Super Mario Bros.)  Coleco had console rights to Donkey Kong and DK Jr., and Parker Brothers had the rights to Popeye, but that was about it.

But the second part of your statement is right - Nintendo threw a fit when Tengen (an Atari brand) tried to market Gauntlet and Tetris for the NES without going through Nintendo's seal of approval process.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 11:42:28 PM »

Where do I begin?

Ok, you definitely want some Wavebirds. Best controller ever. And I would also recommend the GameBoy Player.

Games:

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Brilliance, although a little easy for my tastes.)
Super Mario Sunshine (Didn't love the water pack, but didn't hate it. The oldschool levels are tons of fun)
Metroid Prime (Outstanding game)
Paper Mario (Very fun, and funny)
Ikaruga (Old school goodness. Excellent game)
Luigi's Mansion (Only bad thing about this game is that it is a little short.)
Viewtiful Joe (Wicked oldschool beat 'em up, one of the smoothest action games ever)
Wave Race: Bluestorm (A Favorite racing game of mine, tons of fun.)
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Eternal Darkness
Super Monkey Ball 2

There, that oughta get you started.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 12:11:34 AM »

I finally caved and just bought a GameCube off ebay.  I got the cube, controller, memory card, and 4 games for $110.  The games are Evolution Worlds (which looks bad), Zelda the Wind Waker, Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphonia.  I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal and can't wait for it to arrive!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 01:12:10 AM »

Warning, I'd say you got a freaking great deal, you'll be tied up with  Wind Waker and Tales for many hours and Joe will challege every gaming fiber in your body( I think it's harder and Better than Ninja Gaiden) and then you can move on to the other great games in the library.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 08:05:55 PM »

Done thinking about it.  Went out yesterday afternoon and picked up the Metroid bundle Gamecube, a 256 Mem Card, Resident Evil 4, and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

So far, I liked Metroid okay, but the auto aiming thing is a little wierd after years of using a mouse to play FPS games.  But I like it.  Paper Mario is a little harder to get into initially.  A little too kiddy looking, but I was expecting that, and I think I will be able to play it.

So far though, I am loving RE 4.  A lot.  I remember not having a lot of fun with the other RE games back in the playstation games.  Fixed camera angles will do that to me though.  I always had tons of trouble with the Alone in the Dark games too.  But over the shoulder is just fine.  If they go back and redo the original games with the new engine and game play, I will deffinately have to get them and play them.

So, my long standing grudge against Nintendo seems to be at an end.  I like the damn console, and so far I am enjoing the games I got.  I will have to try and find Eternal Darkness at some point.  I suppose it is probably a difficult game to find.

One thing I am having trouble with is the controller.  The button placement feels wierd after the other console controllers.  But I have only died three times in RE4, after 2 1/2 hours of play, and those were mostly cutscene surprise deaths.  Gotta watch out for them.  Guess I will get used to it eventually.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice guys.  I am happy I went ahead with it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: