http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:27:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I've noticed now that I have a 360 and a PS3.  (Read 3282 times)
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:20:51 AM »

So I got a PS3 last week, and while I have not bought any games yet, I've been a busy bee downloading demos and videos.  After about a week there are certain things that have really come to light for me in comparing what I do and don't like about both consoles.

1. The 360 is loud as hell!  This did not bother me so much before, but after playing games on the PS3 and not hearing anything from the console, to going back to the 360 and hearing it churn, I must say the 360 is 10 times louder than the PS3.  If they make a quieter version down the road, I might have to buy it just for that.

2. The PS3 controller is too light and the 360 controller is the best console controller EVER.  I picked up the PS3 controller for the first time and thought it just felt cheap.  It didn't feel solid at all and the R2 and L2 buttons just felt wrong.  On the filp side, everything about the 360 controller feels right.  It curves perfectly in the palm of your hands while playing, the trigger buttons feel natural, and the indention on the stick buttons give it a great feel.  It also feels a LOT more sturdy.  I think it's because of the rumble technology inside that gives it more weight.  Anyway, I just think the 360 controller is perfect in every way and I pretty much felt that way from the beginning, but playing with the PS3 controller just further confirms it.

3. Xbox Live and the Live store is eons better than what the PS3 is using right now.  Hopefully this changes with the introduction of home, but for right now xbox live has it beat by a wide margin.

4. The PS3 is the first console I will truly use as a media player and not just a game machine.  Even though previous consoles could play dvd's, I never really used them that way.  hell the 360 is loud to even think about using it for anything but gaming.  it would irritate the crap out of me to hear that churning during slow parts of movies.  in games it's fine, it movies, not so much.  I've already gone out and bought some blueray dvd's and I continue to look for deals in order to add to my small collection.  The fact that the PS3 is quiet and future proof for bluray helps make the decision to use it for movies an easy one.

5.  The PS3 is more feature rich than the normal 360.  An embedded network adapter, usb support, expandable hard drive and yes blueray does mean that I'll probably get more bang for my buck out of a PS3, as long as they have some good exclusives because.....

6. I'll still buy multi platform games for my 360.  The 360 still feels like a better overall gaming machine.  While the PS3 is definitely a really good machine for gaming, the controller, xbox live (My friends list), and achievements all give the gaming experience an overall better feel on the 360.  This could change a bit with home, but nothing will change that controller (Did i mention it's the best EVER nod), as it just makes the action feel better on the 360.  in the end though the PS3 will get more use because it's become my defacto dvd/blueray player.

So there you go.  Anything you guys who have both notice between the two?
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:23:33 AM »

you pretty much hit it on the head, except for me I will buy Mulitplatform games on the PS3 for the most part because you never know when you will be without your 360 for 4 weeks because of a RROD.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:35:56 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 25, 2008, 03:23:33 AM

you pretty much hit it on the head, except for me I will buy Mulitplatform games on the PS3 for the most part because you never know when you will be without your 360 for 4 weeks because of a RROD.

Yep.  Agree with the OPs points 99%, but also agree with Tebunker that the PS3 gets my multi platform purchases for the same reason he gives.

gellar
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:41:01 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 25, 2008, 03:35:56 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on February 25, 2008, 03:23:33 AM

Yep.  Agree with the OPs points 99%, but also agree with Tebunker that the PS3 gets my multi platform purchases for the same reason he gives.

gellar
Same here. Especially since I hardly play MP anymore.

Except that I really like the PS3 controller's design (though not the weight) mostly for it's d-pad. Which actually works.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:11 AM »

I never consider the weight of a controller as its quality.  However, that said, the dual shock 3 that I just got from Canuck has more significant weight to it.

I like the PS3 controller style, but I do think it's time for a new controller design.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:53:16 AM »

Quote from: StichJones
1. The 360 is loud as hell!  This did not bother me so much before, but after playing games on the PS3 and not hearing anything from the console, to going back to the 360 and hearing it churn, I must say the 360 is 10 times louder than the PS3.  If they make a quieter version down the road, I might have to buy it just for that.

Yeah, at times, it felt like my 360 was trying to pass kidney stones while my PS3's cool, almost-not-even-there hiss is something I like.

2. The PS3 controller is too light and the 360 controller is the best console controller EVER.  I picked up the PS3 controller for the first time and thought it just felt cheap.  It didn't feel solid at all and the R2 and L2 buttons just felt wrong.  On the filp side, everything about the 360 controller feels right.  It curves perfectly in the palm of your hands while playing, the trigger buttons feel natural, and the indention on the stick buttons give it a great feel.  It also feels a LOT more sturdy.  I think it's because of the rumble technology inside that gives it more weight.  Anyway, I just think the 360 controller is perfect in every way and I pretty much felt that way from the beginning, but playing with the PS3 controller just further confirms it.

The 360 controller is a fantastic controller.  I've always been a fan of the DualShock, and I really love the new L2/R2 "triggers."

The only advice I'd give to you is to get someone to import a DualShock3 for you.  It's heavier because of the rumble, and feels more comfortable in your hand with a little bit of weight.

3. Xbox Live and the Live store is eons better than what the PS3 is using right now.  Hopefully this changes with the introduction of home, but for right now xbox live has it beat by a wide margin.

Xbox Live really is the pinnacle of online gaming.  I have honestly had less lag issues with my PS3 games, but in terms of features and options, it is definitely outclassed.  And to be honest, it gets the job done and I don't have to pay money to do it.  So I'm not complaining.

4. The PS3 is the first console I will truly use as a media player and not just a game machine.  Even though previous consoles could play dvd's, I never really used them that way.  hell the 360 is loud to even think about using it for anything but gaming.  it would irritate the crap out of me to hear that churning during slow parts of movies.  in games it's fine, it movies, not so much.  I've already gone out and bought some blueray dvd's and I continue to look for deals in order to add to my small collection.  The fact that the PS3 is quiet and future proof for bluray helps make the decision to use it for movies an easy one.

Ditto, and I love streaming videos, music and grabbing pics off my laptop.  And it's super, super easy.  All I did was hit the "search for media servers" button and bam, we're up and running.  And Blu-Ray's victory pretty much gives it that long-term appeal that the PS2 offered with playing DVDs.

5.  The PS3 is more feature rich than the normal 360.  An embedded network adapter, usb support, expandable hard drive and yes blueray does mean that I'll probably get more bang for my buck out of a PS3, as long as they have some good exclusives because.....

It is.

6. I'll still buy multi platform games for my 360.  The 360 still feels like a better overall gaming machine.  While the PS3 is definitely a really good machine for gaming, the controller, xbox live (My friends list), and achievements all give the gaming experience an overall better feel on the 360.  This could change a bit with home, but nothing will change that controller (Did i mention it's the best EVER nod), as it just makes the action feel better on the 360.  in the end though the PS3 will get more use because it's become my defacto dvd/blueray player.

And that's your preference, so that's cool.  I gave up the ability to choose between platforms when I sold my 360, and I really don't regret it.  With devs coming out saying they're going to follow the path of Burnout Paradise and develop for PS3 while "porting" to 360 (Lucasarts, most recently), I think the era of seeing gimped ports of PS3 games is coming to an end.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »

In some ways I actually prefer the PS3's controller to the 360's, I like that it is lighter and the analog sticks feel much more firmly gripped by my thumbs. As far as the user interface, I enjoy the sleeker design of the PS3's "dashboard" compared to the 360's, although when it comes to the marketplace and online gaming the 360 blows the PS3 away. The PS Store or whatever its called is crap.

Everyone's main complaints about the 360, the noise level and RROD, are non-issues for me. I have a newer 360 model so I never notice the noise, and assuming MS fixed the over-heating problems I should never see a RROD.

As far as multiplatform release, the 360 still undoubtedly deserves the edge thanks to achievements, better multiplayer, and generally better performing games. CoD4 has framerate issues that the 360 version doesn't have and R6: Vegas looks really blurry on the PS3, not sure if my disc was defective or not but regardless, didn't have the problem with the 360 version.

TML, why did you sell your 360? No offense but it just seems like a pretty drastic fanboy move, IMO.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:32:58 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 05:42:22 AM »

+1 to everything you said Stitch, except I barely notice the 360's noise anymore.  All my multi-platform game purchases will be going to the 360- I like the controller better and since  I won't be buying anything but used games for the PS3 I'll be able to play them on the 360 sooner.

Quote from: Ridah on February 25, 2008, 05:40:08 AM

TML, why did you sell your 360? No offense but it just seems like a pretty drastic fanboy move, IMO.

Bring your own!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:01:27 AM »

I sold mine too.  No use for it anymore seeing as how I was going to buy all multiplatform releases on the PS3 anyway.  For me, at least, I didn't see any exclusive titles coming out that I wanted either.  That and I sold it to help finance my upcoming honeymoon   icon_biggrin

Adam and I have talked about it and decided to sell our 360s because frankly, when we DO play multiplayer, we play PS3 titles.  And we haven't played with anyone (sans Calvin) with our 360s for a looong time.

And frankly, eliminating a console out of your multi-console library REALLY helps your backlog!  Not surprising of course, but it's a nice side-effect   icon_biggrin

The PS3 does almost everything the 360 does.  In some aspects, better (media, no online fee, etc.).  And in some aspects, not as good (online implementation, XBLA, etc.).  Achievements weren't very important to me either (even though PS3 games are now coming with "Accomplishments" or whatever on a game-by-game basis).

They're both great consoles, for sure.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 25, 2008, 05:40:08 AM

Honestly?

It was more driven by the fact that I quit my job in Seattle, moved back home, had a difficult job finding a job for 4 months and needed money to live + support my gaming habit.

I mean, yeah, I herald it as some kind of ultimate showcase of my Sony favoritism, but it was really driven by the fact that I needed money to pay my ever-growing credit card bill and to pay for more games.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »

I love the PS3 controller-of course I've hardly ever used one of Microsoft's versions.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 25, 2008, 04:53:16 AM

The 360 controller is a fantastic controller.  I've always been a fan of the DualShock, and I really love the new L2/R2 "triggers."

Interesting, the new L2/R2 triggers are my biggest complaint about the sixaxis.  They're all right for limited use, but if you have to keep them held down for a long time (any game with a car) the angle it's at when fully depressed is very awkward.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 02:09:36 PM »

I LOVE the PS3 Dualshock 3. It has the perfect weight, I think, but I agree with the OP, the Dualshock 2 was too light.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »

I have never liked the dual shock controller.  I have very large hands so I actually loved the original Xbox gigantic controller.   paranoid

I have just become so used to playing games on the 360. It is automatically the console I buy multiplatform games on.  I never even consider the PS3 version.  Xbox Live, achievements, the controller, and sheer habit all compell me to get the 360 version.  Even though the PS3 is connected to our best TV, it is also in the living room.  While my 360s are down in the basement (also known as the Man Cave.) 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:03 PM »

360 controller is fine, DS3 is fine.  The only thing that makes a difference for me is that I vastly prefer the triggers on the 360.  But I have no qualms about playing anything with a DS3. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »

Hey, I just got a PS3 last week too!  It now joins my 360 for next gen goodness at my place!!

I think you nailed all of the points I thought as well.  Actually, it's kind of weird how similar my feelings are between them both o_0   

Target had that sale where you get a $40 gc with the purchase of a 40GB PS3 and they had Resistance on sale for $40, so I picked both of them up.

(not to derail too much, but some more impressions)

- Uncharted is AMAZING.  Same feelings I got from Gears of War as in, "Wow, this is truly a next-gen game."  I'm totally loving this one.

- Resistance seems bland so far, I've read a lot here about how it takes a bit to pick up.  You can definitely tell it's a launch title.

- I downloaded (bought) Pixel Junk Monsters (which is basically Warcraft 3 Tower Defense) but it was well done and I wanted to support it.

- I also downloaded the demo for Ratchet and Clank and I don't understand what all the praise was for.  The demo seemed pretty blah to me.  Is it a bad representation of the full game?  Also what's up with not being able to invert the aiming.  Hopefully that's demo only.

So yeah, the PS3 is gonna be my multi-media device, while the Xbox 360 will be my platform of choice for multi-platform games.  I'm happy to now be able to enjoy exclusives on both platforms.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 25, 2008, 03:02:43 PM

- I also downloaded the demo for Ratchet and Clank and I don't understand what all the praise was for.  The demo seemed pretty blah to me.  Is it a bad representation of the full game?  Also what's up with not being able to invert the aiming.  Hopefully that's demo only.

You can invert the camera in the full game.  I don't know that I would say Future's demo is a bad representation of the full game but, if you've never played a R&C game before, I think it's impossible for a single demo to encapsulate what's so great about the games since they very much rely on the ever increasing arsenal of wacky and wonderful weapons you obtain as you progress (Resistance is the same way). 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »

stitchjones,pretty much said exactly how i am...the only difference is that my DVD drive is pretty quiet,i have seen a lot of people complain before about it,but it hasnt bothered me..this is still my launch machine as well.....but,take into account that i am hard of hearing,LOL

when it comes to gaming,my PS3 is solely for exclusive PS3 titles..and my Wii is there for back up if the 360 AND the PS3 should both fail at the same time......hopefully it wont come to that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »

Nice summary. I'm getting close to finally pulling the trigger on a PS3 now that my HD-DVD is obsolete after a month biggrin. (hey i'd do it again for $99 and 10 movies and it still upscales nicely)

Question on media use though. Is it easy to get my MP3s to play on the PS3 or do i need to import them directly on the player? I'd like to be able to play them through my stereo. Same question about pictures as well.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Jag on February 25, 2008, 05:25:38 PM

Question on media use though. Is it easy to get my MP3s to play on the PS3 or do i need to import them directly on the player? I'd like to be able to play them through my stereo. Same question about pictures as well.

You can stream them from your PC just like you can on the 360. It's simple.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »

Or you can plug in an external memory device with the music/pictures on it.

gellar
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on February 25, 2008, 05:46:06 PM

Stupid question and i'll probably do more research into it, but do you need something special to stream? I have a PC with Windows Media edition and a DSL/Wireless Router combo. Is that enough?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 10:53:48 PM »

I believe Windows Media Player is all you need... I just don't know all of the instructions to make it work right.

gellar
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 25, 2008, 06:09:55 AM

but it was really driven by the fact that I needed money to pay my ever-growing credit card bill and to pay for more games.

there seems to be something wrong with this statement...
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »

Quote from: Jag on February 25, 2008, 10:51:51 PM

Quote from: Mookee on February 25, 2008, 05:46:06 PM

Stupid question and i'll probably do more research into it, but do you need something special to stream? I have a PC with Windows Media edition and a DSL/Wireless Router combo. Is that enough?

as gellar said, it's easiest to use Windows Media Player...however, it has to be version 11.  it's pretty easy and obvious to set up for the most part, I don't really feel like going through all the exact steps of making it work right now

personally, I ended up copying my entire MP3 collection to the PS3's HD (an upgraded 160gig drive) instead of streaming over the network.  I don't know if this happens to anyone else with a PS3...but whenever I played MP3s by streaming, there is this really annoying 1-2 second delay between hitting the 'X' button and when it actually starts playing.  and when trying to fast-forward or rewind, it would be really slow as well

whereas if you play MP3s that are directly on the HD or a USB drive, everything would be instantaneous as far as response time.  I couldn't deal with that delay when streaming, it annoyed the shit out of me

other than that though, the PS3 is an incredible media device.  the dashboard and UI for manipulating and playing things is way better than the 360
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »

It's good to know others feel the same way I do.  I'm really enjoying my PS3 and feel good about the purchase.  one thing I do think this will do is make me a bit more of a selective buyer.  When I first got my 360 I remember buying every game I thought was halfway decent.  Today games I bought in the first 6 months would only get rented if that.  Now that I have both, I can see myself buying only highly rated games due to the fact that I will be buying the best exclusives on both.  Any games on the fringe will get a rental first.

I can see it already.

MLB 08 in March PS3
GTAIV in April 360
Too Human in May 360
MGS4 in June PS3
Ninja Gaiden 2 in June 360
Soul Caliber IV in July PS3

Then you still have Gears 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Forced Unleashed, Bionic Commando, Killzone 2, Fable2, Fallout 3, and more.  I'll be in gaming nirvana this year. nod
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:22:34 AM by StitchJones » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »

Hey guys, if you leave your theme and color as original, is it supposed to change colors on you at random?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »

Yup, it'll change depending the time of day...lighter in the morning, black at night.

TheMissingLink on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

Ah ok thanks, I was worried that it broke and I couldn't get my black screen back.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 25, 2008, 03:08:15 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 25, 2008, 03:02:43 PM

You can invert the camera in the full game.  I don't know that I would say Future's demo is a bad representation of the full game but, if you've never played a R&C game before, I think it's impossible for a single demo to encapsulate what's so great about the games since they very much rely on the ever increasing arsenal of wacky and wonderful weapons you obtain as you progress (Resistance is the same way). 

I agree with Kevin on this. The demo does a great job of giving you a basic feeling for the gameplay (graphics, controls, humor, etc) but it can't encapsulate all the details of a R&C game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »

Well after a couple weeks of ownership now I absolutely love the PS3.  I'm still playing my 360 also, so keep those SDf badges away. 

Pixel Junk Monsters is so wonderful looking and such a fun game to play.  Simple to start but difficult to master, Blizzard-style.  I also got Super Stardust HD, which is glorious looking and sounding.  As previously mentioned, Uncharted is a godly game.  I also got the full version of R&C and it's great looking as well, and a fun departure from a FPS, but still a shooter, which I like.

The UI is so slick, the whole system just seems slick.  I'm definitely glad to be on board with both systems!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »

I have been given clearance from the Wife to procure a next gen. system.  After doing a ton of reading I still can't decide.  The Xbox 360 has a ton more games but the PS3 is more feature rich, future proof, and possibly reliable (jury still out on the newest version of xbox?).  I think i'm leaning towards the XBOx because of the games.  I went to the store yesterday and only came up with a couple of games I would want right now on the PS3 that were not cross plat titles.  The pull of Bioshock and Mass effect is strong however as my current PC will have no hope of playing them.  Looking into the future doesn't help much as they both have some interesting exclusives on the horizons and I have been reading good things about developers unlocking the PS3's potential.  This is a seriously tough decision now.

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »

If you base your purchase on games soon-to-come out, they could suck. I would base my purchase on what I can play now. If it's about games, then right now it's the 360. The fact that you have 3 years coverage means that at least you know MS reliability is less of an issue. That being said, it's still frustrating if/when your system crashes.

If you're looking at spending 30+ per movie and HD movies is critical, get the PS3. "future-proof" is a misnomer, you never know what you'll actually need/want. Go with tangible. PS3 is not a bad option, but unless you're waiting for the DS3 with rumble, today you're buying a less-than-optimal controller and then bugging Canuck to import one for you. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 07, 2008, 04:40:22 PM

I have been given clearance from the Wife to procure a next gen. system.  After doing a ton of reading I still can't decide.  The Xbox 360 has a ton more games but the PS3 is more feature rich, future proof, and possibly reliable (jury still out on the newest version of xbox?).  I think i'm leaning towards the XBOx because of the games.  I went to the store yesterday and only came up with a couple of games I would want right now on the PS3 that were not cross plat titles.  The pull of Bioshock and Mass effect is strong however as my current PC will have no hope of playing them.  Looking into the future doesn't help much as they both have some interesting exclusives on the horizons and I have been reading good things about developers unlocking the PS3's potential.  This is a seriously tough decision now.

Even though I love this PS3, if I could only get 1 to start with it would definitely be a 360 because of the MP community and the number of games/exclusives that I enjoy.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

I'd go with the system that has more games right now that you want to play.  Future releases are a tricky thing, because at least half of them will wind up being bad, and some will wind up being cross-platform.  It's hard to argue against the 360 on the basis of game library.

Also, if MP matters to you, while Live does cost a nominal monthly fee, it's the much more robust and populous online service.  Sony's service may eventually get to the point where it's competitive, but I wouldn't put a ton of money on that happening soon, or even at all.

And I just noticed that Purge and I said basically the same thing, but since I started my post before reading his, I'm posting anyway.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 07, 2008, 04:40:22 PM

PS3 pros
  • blu-ray movies
  • reliable
  • quiet
  • free online play
360 pros
  • bigger library
  • better online play setup and bigger population (but adds $150-200+ over the console's life)
Compare
  • Exclusives
  • Controllers
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 07, 2008, 04:44:17 PM

If you're looking at spending 30+ per movie and HD movies is critical, get the PS3.

Gotta throw in the Netflix card on this one to be realistic.  For the cost of owning one blu-ray movie you can easily rent more twenty from Netflix with just their standard plan.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 07, 2008, 04:59:38 PM

If you're looking at spending 30+ per movie and HD movies is critical, get the PS3.

Gotta throw in the Netflix card on this one to be realistic.  For the cost of owning one blu-ray movie you can easily rent more twenty from Netflix with just their standard plan.

And you can easily find brand new blu-ray movies on eBay for ~20 or less.  I've bought 300 and Ratatouille for less than $20 on eBay, both brand new and sealed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »

yeah, but it can take forever to get them.   Hopefully they start getting more copies of Blu Ray movies in so it doesn't take as long.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2008, 05:06:29 PM

yeah, but it can take forever to get them.   Hopefully they start getting more copies of Blu Ray movies in so it doesn't take as long.

Maybe I just have a better stocked distribution center (Worcester, MA) but I rarely have much wait for blu-ray titles.  I just did a quick scan of my queue and out of the 65 blu-ray titles I have in the list, 3 are short wait and 5 are long wait.  It's not much worse than the number of '____ wait' titles on the plain DVDs in my queue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: