http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:38:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3] Thief  (Read 13543 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

Quote from: naednek on February 22, 2014, 02:05:01 AM

I used this and it makes a HUGE difference in how Thief Gold looks.  It's still butt-ugly (always was), but is at least tolerable with this mod.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2014, 04:44:47 PM

But the last few trailers have shown that this just might be the classic Thief that we're all looking for again.

A gameplay stream from a few days ago shows that it's not. Be prepared for corridor-based level design, shoddy physics and bizarre AI. There might be a good game in there, but it's probably not what we expect.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2014, 09:44:23 PM

Be prepared for...shoddy physics and bizarre AI.

So, exactly like the first three games then?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 22, 2014, 09:54:26 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 22, 2014, 09:44:23 PM

Be prepared for...shoddy physics and bizarre AI.

So, exactly like the first three games then?

Yes, exactly like the first game, which came out 16 years ago.

Seriously, that argument doesn't really hold water here. There's no reason for the AI to be just like it was back in the infancy of modern gaming. Back then it was due to hardware restrictions. There's no excuse for that kind of thing these days.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »

Polygon Review is up

End snippet:
THE ELEMENTS OF A BETTER GAME NEVER COME TOGETHER IN THIEF
There are elements of a better game in Thief ó maybe even a great one. I enjoyed Garrett's adventure when it was about stealing, when it was about getting into a structure creatively and sneaking away, about accumulating and spending loot. But I wanted much more of that breaking and entering than it was willing to give me. Thief never quite pulls it together. Instead, too often, I felt like a mouse in a narrow hallway filled with cats.

6/10
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »

Just coming here to post this..  Other bullet points

*Difficult AI
*Linear Paths in some areas
*Story is disjointed
*Frame rate issues on the PS4/XB1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »

Pretty much all the reviews are up now, since the embargo is over. From the summary thread at NeoGAF: (keeps getting updated, so this is just a snapshot)

Game Informer - 8/10
 Gamereactor Sweden - 8/10
 Joystiq - 8/10 [4/5 stars]

PC Gamer - 7.9/10
 Gamepro Germany - 7.8/10
 4Gamers - 7.7/10
 Destructoid - 7.5/10
 Gametrailers - 7.5/10
 Playstation Universe - 7.5/10
 SlasherJPC video review - 7.5/10
 EDGE - 7/10
 Gamesbeat - 7/10
 OPM UK - 7/10
 Play - 7/10
 Videogamer - 7/10 [trololol]
 XONE Magazine - 7/10

Lazygamer - 6.9/10
 IGN - 6.8/10
 Gamesided - 6.5/10
 NowGamer - 6.5/10
 Eurogamer - 6/10
 Gamespot - 6/10
 GamesTM - 6/10
 Polygon - 6/10
 Rev3games/Sessler video review - 6/10 [3/5 stars]
 Rocket Chainsaw video review - 6/10 [3/5 stars]
 US Gamer - 6/10 [3/5 stars]

Kotaku - NO
 Rockpapershotgun - no score review

My impression of all the reviews and impressions is that this is a pretty flawed game, but that it can be enjoyable.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »

The reviews are about what I expected.  Still looks like a game I'll enjoy though...even moreso because it was free with the new PC I just got. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:24:29 PM by Gratch » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

So a decently enough solid game that I got for $36 at launch. I can't complain too much.

Now to finish preloading so I can play it tomorrow. biggrin

Also, the Rock Paper Shotgun 'review' is quite positive. I have few complaints just looking over what they said.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:31:39 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »

To the Steam wishlist it goes!  Bring on the eventual absurdly good sale prices!
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 24, 2014, 03:28:02 PM

To the Steam wishlist it goes!  Bring on the eventual absurdly good sale prices!

Thanks for reminding me! That's exactly what I need to do. When it hits $10, I'm there.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »

Sad Face.

Was probably going to get this instead of titanfall, but I can't spend the $$ or the time on a mediocre game.

Meh!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »

Our review is on the front page.   smile

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/welcome-back-taffer-we-review-thief/

In short, play it like a Thief game and you'll enjoy it.  Play it like a shooter and a.) you are an idiot and b.) you aren't going to enjoy it.    Almost every negative review I read prefaced their opinion with "I'm more of a first person shooter guy" or "I've played all of the Call of Duty games" (well good for you, junior).   I also get the feeling that some of these guys didn't play past the first two levels. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »

Great review Ron.  I'm pretty excited to get started on this one...it might even break my Bravely Default addiction.

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »

Bought it from GameFly during the sale, pre-loaded and ready to go.  I really don't give a shit what most of these so-called reviewers think.  From what I've read, and admittedly I shouldn't be that surprised, is that it's not exactly like the original so it sucks.  I find it strange that some reviewers are talking like its a bug-ridden mess, while others barely mention having any problems at all.  Methinks it's because those same reviewers really do not like the fact that's it's not a carbon-copy of the original, so they've decided the game sucks and made it their mission to rip it as much as possible.  I've played all the others and, to be honest, I thought they were really good but not this holy grail of gaming that some people make them out to be.  My thought is that MANY people are looking back fifteen plus years through their rose-colored glasses and remembering a far different game than what I played.

Also:  I watched Total Biscuit and a few other streams and I don't see any of the shit others are talking about as far as boken AI, corridor level design, etc.  Honestly looks quite a bit like the original, albeit with a new coat of paint.  Admittedly I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at previews, so I guess I'll reserve judgement until <GASP> I actually play it!  Cool concept, eh?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 24, 2014, 06:03:41 PM

In short, play it like a Thief game and you'll enjoy it.  Play it like a shooter and a.) you are an idiot and b.) you aren't going to enjoy it.    Almost every negative review I read prefaced their opinion with "I'm more of a first person shooter guy" or "I've played all of the Call of Duty games" (well good for you, junior).   I also get the feeling that some of these guys didn't play past the first two levels. 

Nice review - you did forget that there is no jumping anymore though. Also - how big does the levels feel? Are they straight corridors with sides or do they feel more like a whole area?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

Some reviews have talked about a pretty shoddy framerate on both the PS4 and Xbox One version. You mention one such instance, but was it smooth otherwise, in your experience (seeing as you reviewed the PS4 version)?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on February 24, 2014, 07:04:09 PM

Bought it from GameFly during the sale, pre-loaded and ready to go.  I really don't give a shit what most of these so-called reviewers think.  From what I've read, and admittedly I shouldn't be that surprised, is that it's not exactly like the original so it sucks.

Which is funny because they knocked down Batman Origins because it was the same as the last two. 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »

Quote from: naednek on February 24, 2014, 07:14:47 PM

Quote from: Glycerine on February 24, 2014, 07:04:09 PM

Bought it from GameFly during the sale, pre-loaded and ready to go.  I really don't give a shit what most of these so-called reviewers think.  From what I've read, and admittedly I shouldn't be that surprised, is that it's not exactly like the original so it sucks.

Which is funny because they knocked down Batman Origins because it was the same as the last two. 
That’s a bit different though.  Not adding anything new to a sequel is bad.  Taking out features that a previous game in the series had is worse.  I consider the inability to jump or use rope arrows to navigate a level pretty big omissions.  The original Thief games had a lot of emergent gameplay from the way the AI reacted and the freedom of movement that you had.

One of the video reviews I watched (I think Sessler) mentioned that the game seems to have freedom at first but after a while you realize that you are basically railroaded into a set of options.  It may not be a simple straight corridor but it is a set of two corridors that you choose from.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:52:21 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »

Our review is on the front page.   smile

In short, play it like a Thief game and you'll enjoy it.  Play it like a shooter and a.) you are an idiot and b.) you aren't going to enjoy it.    Almost every negative review I read prefaced their opinion with "I'm more of a first person shooter guy" or "I've played all of the Call of Duty games" (well good for you, junior).   I also get the feeling that some of these guys didn't play past the first two levels.  

This is a great point, and I've seen that mentality is some of the other stealth games. I remember one review for Splinter Cell Blacklist said something akin to 'the game is highly improved as a run-and-gun title, but could still use some refinement in those mechanics..." Er.... Spinter Cell isn't meant to be a third person shooter.

I'm  growing tired of amateur Internet reviewers basing their ratings on what they wanted or expected, instead of the the design vision and execution of that vision.  I don't need Call of Duty multiplayer components wedged into Dishonored. It just diverts resources and talent onto something shoehorned into the wrong package.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

Whew...I was getting worried by some of the reviews that I'd made yet another mistake with a pre-order (something I've been trying to swear off of after a few recent disappointments).  But Ron's review makes me feel better about my purchase.  I don't want to play it like a shooter, I want to play it like a Thief game, so I should be good.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 24, 2014, 08:49:50 PM

Taking out features that a previous game in the series had is worse.  I consider the inability to jump or use rope arrows to navigate a level pretty big omissions

I think they show this ability specifically in the trailer....but it may have been at a specific point.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 24, 2014, 10:01:10 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on February 24, 2014, 08:49:50 PM

Taking out features that a previous game in the series had is worse.  I consider the inability to jump or use rope arrows to navigate a level pretty big omissions

I think they show this ability specifically in the trailer....but it may have been at a specific point.
Rope arrows are in the game but limited in use to when the game tells you that you can use them. 

Iím definitely in the not impressed camp but I do support this video:  Stop liking things I don't like - Relativism in games critique
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2014, 03:11:06 AM »

well, either way this falls, my copy is in the mail from amazon.  anyone interested in watching a stream?  I'll throw a link up.  planning on a silent and hud-less run.

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

Great review Ron, much more even-keeled than others I've read.  Played through the prologue on master thief difficulty and really like it so far.  Had to head off to work, otherwise I'd still be playing.  The cut-scenes are a little rough at times, plus the game definitely doesn't perform as well as DX:HR.  Minor complaints though, really looking forward to diving back in tonight after my daughter's swim meet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

Anyone here who gets this game should play it on the highest difficulty level, preferably with a few custom modifiers as well. It's likely that some of the game's biggest detractors played it on Normal or lower, which is quite common among reviewers who have a deadline to reach. The thing is, this game changes quite a bit between difficulty levels, and is supposed to be quite satisfying once you start turning off stuff like Focus and improve the AI levels to their maximum levels. Turn up the difficulty, and you have to play it in the way you did the old games.

I think I'm going to try and stack up difficulty options until I get enough for the 700 points achievement. That should be an interesting (and very Thief-like) challenge. smile
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »

Eh, I don't really have any Thief baggage so I am playing on normal. Focus has a reasonable explanation in the story so I don't mind it. It only seems to highlight things that are in line of sight anyway, unlike Dark Vision in Dishonored.

Jumping has been fine so far, it is not as contextual as I was led to believe. If there is a box you can climb it without a prompt and you can jump across gaps and on to ropes. Things that aren't climbable usually look like they shouldn't be climbed, and places that you should be able to reach without the claw are not reachable unless there's a place to grab on to. Areas are tighter than Dishonored, but that makes a lot more sense in this game since you don't have the Blink power. In the first chapter there were lots of different paths to take around the small area you are given access to.

I've only played the first chapter, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »

According to those I've heard from who've played the game for a bit, Focus makes the game way too easy and is better left off for gaming veterans. The game is supposed to be more enjoyable without it, no matter how it's explained in the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 25, 2014, 08:58:32 PM

According to those I've heard from who've played the game for a bit, Focus makes the game way too easy and is better left off for gaming veterans. The game is supposed to be more enjoyable without it, no matter how it's explained in the game.

There are lots of folks (myself included) who play games to simply be engrossed in a virtual world, and not necessarily because we enjoy a massive challenge. 

I'm planning to play on Normal and leaving Focus on, unless it becomes too terribly distracting.  I'm not great at FPS games to begin with, so I'm sure that'll be about right.  I can always start over if it's way too easy.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »

I'm finding Focus makes the game very enjoyable and not overpowered at all.  It's also limited (with no way to refill it in a level that I've seen so far).  In fact, I overused it at the start and ran out before I was done, which was frustrating.

My only issue so far are with the VOs.  I found the woman to be really irritating, frankly, and Garrett is just bland. 

Also, did they say "friggin'" all the time in the old games?  I can't remember, but I'm finding it distracting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:02:25 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:06 AM »

I'm enjoying it. Playing on Master difficulty for now, since I figure I would play the game as designed before turning things off to make it more like the originals. I am pleasantly surprised. It definitely still feels like Thief. I generally have found Master difficulty too easy, so far, but finally in chapter 2 I am encountering situations that aren't trivial to get past. I think the new guy doing Garret is adequate, but there really was zero reason not to use Stephen Russel. I certainly don't buy the motion capture excuse they gave. I think, so far, the mission design pales in comparison to the earlier games. They are very linear and merely offer multiple paths down the same linear path.

I am THRILLED that the game does actually have true Quicksave/Quickload functionality. I do wish they would let us have multiple save slots, but one true save anywhere slot is better than not having it. I was worried when it wouldn't let me save in the prologue, but once I got past that, I have been able to save whenever I want.

So far, I am finding navigating the city between story missions to be much more engaging than in Thief 3. I like the short little missions you can do in the city. I am also finding it bigger, and more fun that Thief 3 to this point. I hope that it doesn't get tiresome as I trek through it repeatedly which was a big issue with Thief 3.

My biggest regret so far in regards to early purchase decisions is that I didn't buy the wrench right away. Lots, and lots of opportunities to use it so far that I haven't been able to take advantage of.

I am playing this on the PC with a system that's barely above min requirements. The benchmark menu option gave me avg 20 fps, max 30 fps, but generally looked much more choppy than I have found the game to actually play so far. So, I am pleased with that. I generally took all the default graphic options with the exception of bumping the resolution up to 1080p and dumping the shadows down a notch. I think the game looks nice, but nothing mind blowing, but I am sure I am not seeing it in all its glory due to my modest, aging system.

The only real glitch I had today was a constant crash when I tried to perform the first (mandatory ) pick-pocket. Thankfully, updating my video drivers resolved this.

So, generally I feel positive about this so far, even if I don't think it will surpass or reach the glory of  the originals. I'll reserve final judgements until I complete the campaign.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:12 AM »

Played through the first two missions, both took me about an hour.  Playing on the default difficulty and didn't fiddle with any of the settings.  This new iteration took a little getting used to, but I'm really having a blast with it now.  It's not the same Thief that we remember, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun.  Rather than being able to take an "anywhere and everywhere" approach, they've made the game smaller and force you to sneak through some really tough spots.  The tension is absolutely still there, but in a different way.  Tough to describe but it feels closer and more claustrophobic, which ups the excitement considerably IMO.  I don't find that any of the new additions (i.e. Focus powers, the new arrows, etc) detract from the experience in any way.  Throughout the first couple missions, I've only used Focus a couple of times.  The only thing I haven't really figured out yet is the Swoop function.  It worked in the tutorial mission, but I haven't been able to get it to work since.  Pressing a direction then the space bar just makes Garrett run to the new spot, he doesn't Swoop in.  Probably just need some practice.

It looks fantastic, but I have had a couple odd technical glitches.  The lip synching came unsynched during a cutscene, I could hear one snoring guard crystal clear on all three floors of a building, and I had one random CTD.  I was trying to make it through the entire game without killing anyone (although I'm certainly not above a good knockout blow), but when I set down one of the guards I knocked out, he slipped over a ledge and fell to his death.  Oops...

My guess is that there are lots of old guard Thief players who will dismiss this very early on because they can't go exactly where they want.  That would be a shame, as I think there's a really good - although very different - stealth game to be found here.  Granted, I'm only a couple missions in, but from what I've seen, Ron's review was spot on.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2014, 07:12:23 PM

Some reviews have talked about a pretty shoddy framerate on both the PS4 and Xbox One version. You mention one such instance, but was it smooth otherwise, in your experience (seeing as you reviewed the PS4 version)?

OK, this is getting kind of strange. The question I asked has also been asked by plenty other people in other places I've come across, but every time the person capable of answering the question simply disappears from the conversation.  saywhat

Has anyone here actually played the game on the PS4? How is the performance? I've got a monster PC, but would like to play Thief on the PS4 unless the performance is truly problematic. I would really like to know a little bit more about this.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2014, 02:04:52 PM »

Yeah, I have some info on that. Its actually

A new one
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 26, 2014, 02:04:52 PM

Yeah, I have some info on that. Its actually

A secret?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

I thought this infographic covered the framerate situation pretty well:

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »

Thank you for the informative answers everyone! Razgon's extensive answer, as well as wonderpug's useful infographic, cemented the deal. I now know that I'm going to buy the game on
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »

On PC I found that the game is performing quite well, but the prerendered cutscenes do not.

Their benchmark tool scene also takes place during a steady rain which is a lot more resource intensive than most of the game which takes place either indoors or during dry weather.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 26, 2014, 02:55:41 PM

On PC I found that the game is performing quite well, but the prerendered cutscenes do not.

That's been my experience as well.  I didn't have a single framerate hiccup during gameplay, but the cutscenes turned into slideshows at some points.

Quote from: Teggy on February 26, 2014, 02:55:41 PM

Their benchmark tool scene also takes place during a steady rain which is a lot more resource intensive than most of the game which takes place either indoors or during dry weather.

I'm running at 1920 X 1080 with everything set to "High", and am getting 42.8 FPS on the benchmark.  I've got a new mid-range rig, AMD FX 8-core @ 4.40, 8 GB RAM, Radeon R9 270 2GB.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:39:50 PM by Gratch » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

I have it on the PS4 but it showed up late and I got very little play time with it last night. Hopefully more soon.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: