http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 03:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3] Thief  (Read 11881 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 11, 2009, 02:34:43 PM

it's official.

and apparently it's Thi4f.

ugh...someone kill the name-makeup'er?

A new one
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

To be fair, from an official Eidos guy in the forums:

It's just a working title for now. As you can see, we are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F. So don't worry!

I hold out hope.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Malificent on May 11, 2009, 05:04:50 PM

To be fair, from an official Eidos guy in the forums:
It's just a working title for now. As you can see, we are using www.thief4.com and the name of this forum is Thief 4 not THI4F. So don't worry!
I hold out hope.

Oh thank goodness. And here I thought that Thi4f would be the sequel to Driv3r or something.  Roll Eyes

Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »

Here are my requests:

Don't set it in modern times. The setting of the Thief games was a large chunk of what made them awesome. The fact that Ion Storm was going to do a modern day reboot made me want to vomit.

Make sure Garret is the protagonist. The end of Thief 3 strongly hinted that Garret's journey as a Thief was over. Me no likey that.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »

an interview with the Eidos Montreal GM.  about the logo:

Presently the only asset that we're able to release is the logo, which we're pretty proud of as it's very respectful of the franchise and you can recognise it very rapidly, and once we have other types of assets we'll make them publicly available.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 03:39:09 AM »

can they be any more tight lipped about Thi4f? 

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »

looks like Thi4f has a new audio guy this time around, but it sounds like he'll be faithful in his techno remixes of everything  icon_wink

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »

I'm a huge Thief fan, as is my wife.  I've been watching the (lack of) news on this like a hawk.  I'm hoping they bust the lid on it during E3.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »

I was hoping for some news at E3, but there was none...

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74343/thief-4-may-be-in-trouble

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »

Coming to PS4 and XBox 720 next year

Thief 4 is now a PlayStation 4 and next Xbox game, according to a new report.
It'll launch late next year alongside the expected release of the next-generation of consoles, the Official Xbox Magazine (via CVG) claimed.
Thief 4 is being made by Eidos Montreal, which currently has four teams on the go: one for Deus Ex, one for Thief, a playtest team and a quality assurance team.
It was announced over three years ago, in May 2009. The official Thief 4 website has been dormant since it launched.
In January this year developer CVs suggested the game would feature online capabilities and run on Unreal Engine 3. And, before that, in 2011, a series of purported Thief 4 storyboard images dating back to 2010 hit the web. They're below in the linked article.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 08, 2012, 04:03:35 PM

It'll launch late next year alongside the expected release of the next-generation of consoles, the Official Xbox Magazine (via CVG) claimed.
Thief 4 is being made by Eidos Montreal, which currently has four teams on the go: one for Deus Ex, one for Thief, a playtest team and a quality assurance team.
It was announced over three years ago, in May 2009. The official Thief 4 website has been dormant since it launched.
In January this year developer CVs suggested the game would feature online capabilities and run on Unreal Engine 3. And, before that, in 2011, a series of purported Thief 4 storyboard images dating back to 2010 hit the web. They're below in the linked article.

I'll believe this exists when I hold the game in my hands.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 08, 2012, 04:03:35 PM

While its fine to say it will now be a PS4 or Next Xbox game(Mafia 3 have just done the same),to say its to be released next year is a bit rich...this "expected" release of the new consoles is based on nothing but rumours just now,and i will still be surprised if both PS4 and Next Xbox will be released pretty much together

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »

I'm somewhat surprised this title seems to be having so much difficulty.  They have 3 good blueprints on what made the series so go. While I am slightly bummed that thief 4 might not see the light of day, it's easier as I'm in a cycle where I play things 6 months to a year after they come out anyway. it's just so much cheaper.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:43 AM »

I can't see why this is taking so long to release. Eidos Montreal has 350 employees and they released Deus Ex HR almost a year ago. Unless Squenix decided to change gears and have them focus primarily on another Deus Ex game?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:11:28 AM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 09, 2012, 12:09:43 AM

I can't see why this is taking so long to release. Eidos Montreal has 350 employees and they released Deus Ex HR almost a year ago. Unless Squenix decided to change gears and have them focus primarily on another Deus Ex game?

seems they have a lot on their plate right now,i guess you can take Deus Ex:HR off that list now though...not sure if projects 3,4 and 5 have been announced since that thread was made
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457269

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:48 AM »

Yeah, those are mostly just fake projects to make Squenix believe they're actually busy.  Tongue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »

Thief is set to release in 2014 on PC,PS4 and Next Gen Consoles

yes,it's just called Thief,it IS a reboot

CVG

Eidos Montreal's game sees series hero Garrett return to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City, looking "to steal any and everything that will make him richer."

The story blurb continues: "Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game's levels."

Thief 4 is said to have been in development for four years, having been originally announced to the public in May 2009.
Over a dozen pictures in the CVG link

Game Informer

Eidos Montreal has been working for years to reboot the classic stealth series Thief, and the fruits of its labor will finally be revealed in issue 240 of Game Informer Magazine.

Our April cover story is a world-exclusive look at this next-generation stealth title. Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer. Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game's levels.

Square Enix plans to release Thief for PS4, PC, and other next-gen platforms sometime in 2014.
video in the GameInformer link
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:23:27 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »

Looking forward to this!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

This has two strikes against it out of the gate in my opinion.  Thief 1 & 2 are two of my all-time favorite games and while Thief 3 was a disappointment I didn’t think it was awful.  I think they would have been much better served doing only a “partial” reboot.  Pick the story up after Thief 3 with the new character that was introduced at the end.  This way they could benefit from the same setting but wouldn’t tread on anyone’s memory of the characters.  On top of that, Stephen Russell WAS Garrett.  I can’t imagine anyone else playing the character and if they are going to change the character dramatically then why do a reboot?

My other problem is the look of the character.  They are trying way too hard to make Garrett look cool and edgy.  In the concept art he looks more like an assassin than a thief and the bow they gave him is far too modern.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 05, 2013, 06:00:46 PM

This has two strikes against it out of the gate in my opinion.  Thief 1 & 2 are two of my all-time favorite games and while Thief 3 was a disappointment I didn’t think it was awful.  I think they would have been much better served doing only a “partial” reboot.  Pick the story up after Thief 3 with the new character that was introduced at the end.  This way they could benefit from the same setting but wouldn’t tread on anyone’s memory of the characters.  On top of that, Stephen Russell WAS Garrett.  I can’t imagine anyone else playing the character and if they are going to change the character dramatically then why do a reboot?

My other problem is the look of the character.  They are trying way too hard to make Garrett look cool and edgy.  In the concept art he looks more like an assassin than a thief and the bow they gave him is far too modern.

No Russell would be a bummer, but not a dealbreaker.  I'll reserve judgement on the story until I see what they do with it.  I actually like the new look, and those screens are drool-worthy.

Mostly, I'm just thrilled this is still actually happening.  I was afraid it had been quietly canned after the lack of any news.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 05, 2013, 06:44:19 PM

Mostly, I'm just thrilled this is still actually happening.  I was afraid it had been quietly canned after the lack of any news.

This for me, too.  I'm a little giddy.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »

It's also very nice that this isn't coming out for PS3, 360 or Wii U. That means it won't have to be held back by old technology, which should make it both play and look better. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »

some details

CVG

AI

Garrett isn't a fighter

Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well

Guards and other NPCs are aware of the level design, so they know where a person might try to hide

Guards understand the topography of the level and which areas could be useful for hiding

Different NPCs will look for Garrett in different ways

Gameplay mechanics

Navigation beacon shows players where to go

Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit

Multiple entrances and exists in each room

Multiple options available for stealth approach

"Focus" mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett's vision as he navigates through open levels

Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker

Can upgrade Focus

Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see

Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in

Every drawer is accessible

Can pickpocket

Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others

Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission

Various artifacts are scattered throughout the game's levels

Can use these to decorate Garrett's hideout

Garrett is motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others can't take

Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies

Can select a point (like the chest) to do a quick push that will buy him more time to dash off into the shadows

Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack

Team is trying to find a balance between making combat enjoyable and allowing players to enter combat if they want

Major mechanics are in place

Tools
Blackjack: use when sneaking up behind guards to knock them unconscious

Bow: powerful, can be used outside of combat (ex: fire at a bottle in another room to lure a guard away, trigger a switch to lock the guard inside)

Specialty Arrows: different uses; dry-ice arrow can be used to snuff flames from far away; smoke-starter arrow: cover and a distraction
Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

General
Garrett design made by game director Nicolas Cantin

Garrett's scar represents that his past has left long-lasting effects on his life

Eidos being vague about how faithful the team is remaining to the original Thief lore

Many of the series' magical elements will be toned down

"Eidos-Montreal compares game development to a high-speed train collision between art and technology."

Team was kept small and "stayed within the concept phase of development for a longer period of time."

The staff experimented with featuring a new character, making it a third-person game involving either tactical gameplay or environmental clambering (like Assassin's Creed)

"At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick."

Many experiments during first three years of development

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

I'd still like someone to make a modern thief game. Something where you would rise from being a small-time cat burglar to doing a huge heist. No zombies or anything - just the challenge of breaking in and getting out with the loot.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 05, 2013, 11:52:33 PM

I'd still like someone to make a modern thief game. Something where you would rise from being a small-time cat burglar to doing a huge heist. No zombies or anything - just the challenge of breaking in and getting out with the loot.

I would play that, but don't call it Thief.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »

No zombies or anything

icon_lol

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:14 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 06, 2013, 01:43:42 AM

No zombies or anything

icon_lol

They're creepy! Besides the zombies and the bonehoard and whatnot, what made me finally quit playing Thief was this level where you were going through a cave and the floor was tilted and I was getting motion sick.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:41 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2013, 12:17:12 AM

What he's describing is what I want from Thief, so calling it Thief sounds great. :)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 03:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2013, 12:17:12 AM

Most of what makes Thief work so well (IMHO) is the steampunk setting.  The same gameplay set in modern times doesn't sound all that compelling to me.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:18 AM »

We'll call it "Thieves", OK?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 04:16:45 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 06, 2013, 04:08:18 AM

Among Thieves?????
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 06, 2013, 04:16:45 AM

Among Thieves?????

Burglars?

Catwoman?

The Thief's Tale?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:47 AM »

Hmm... actually looks a lot like Dishonored, which isn't surprising, it's a good art style for this type of game. Definitely different, but with similar aesthetic stylization on a lot of aspects. I wonder if Dishonored's success had an effect on making sure the game was 1st person.

It being next gen, and thus using all the latest graphics tech is a good thing for the stealth genre. First of all, the latest graphics tech, such as the DX11 stuff, excels at lighting effects, especially the subtle things you can do with it, and subtle lighting is great for stealth (and horror) games.

Since they're targeting these new system specs, it means a bigger and more interesting city, and better AI, such as the AI they're describing that will intelligently hunt down Garret.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 06, 2013, 04:16:45 AM

Among Thieves?????

Yes. Starring Nathan "Isaac" Clark as everyone's favorite wisecracking thief who can't break his nasty habit of sawing off security guards' arms and legs during a job.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »

I love multiple exists.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 06, 2013, 12:17:13 PM

I love multiple exists.

saywhat

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 06, 2013, 01:05:29 PM

I love multiple exists.

saywhat

icon_lol

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »

I love multiple exists.

Me too man, me too.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »

I should have been a proof reader!!!

Seriously though, I'm ALWAYS the one to see shit like that. Sore thumb. Me see;).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »

Um, I still don't know what it is you meant to say smile

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: