http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3] Thief  (Read 13176 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »

There's a new trailer out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_HEeHUmzjI&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL_HEeHUmzjI&has_verified=1

Some of it seems decent, but other things make me scoff or laugh. Mostly its the violence approach I guess. One of the things that was unique to thief was the horror of being discovered. If the guards found you, you had to be lucky to escape with your life. Here, you can just kill everyone and be done with it it seems. That takes away a great deal of the tension. Imagine Cradle level where you could just slaugther everything - fun? Not really.

A new one
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 05, 2014, 06:15:25 PM

Imagine Cradle level where you could just slaugther everything - fun? Not really.

Not going to disagree on the overall point but I will say it was possible to kill everything on the cradle level quite easily.  There was a type of potion that would one-shot them.  Was kind of funny to walk around the level with all the creepy noises continuing despite the fact that all the enemies were dead.

Going back to the original Thief games I also remember getting quite good at sword fighting.  Because of how the fighting engine was put into that game it was possible to block and parry attacks.  At my best I could take on three normal guards at once or one Hammerite.  I really hated when they took the dynamic sword fighting out with Thief 3.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_HEeHUmzjI&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL_HEeHUmzjI&has_verified=1

Some of it seems decent, but other things make me scoff or laugh. Mostly its the violence approach I guess. One of the things that was unique to thief was the horror of being discovered. If the guards found you, you had to be lucky to escape with your life. Here, you can just kill everyone and be done with it it seems. That takes away a great deal of the tension. Imagine Cradle level where you could just slaugther everything - fun? Not really.

That's the trailer that Ron posted yesterday.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2014, 04:42:22 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 05, 2014, 08:37:30 PM

Its new to this page of the thread though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 06, 2014, 04:42:22 AM

No, it's not.

Like many, I've been nervous about this new Thief.  At first because it was going to be some futuristic thing, then because it was supposedly more action-oriented and most recently because of reports that it was all small spaces with little choice about where to go or what to do.

I have to say that trailer would only feel more like Thief if someone called Garrett a taffer.  That doesn't mean it'll be good, of course, but I'm certainly more interested.  That said, I do hope they maintain the rich world with its steampunky feel and the various factions (Order of the Hammer and whatnot), even if it's evolved in time slightly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:43:17 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 24, 2014, 10:10:55 PM

I've also never done the Dark Mod... I guess I will fall back on that if Thief ends up sucking....

Apologies for quoting myself.

I didn't wait. I downloaded the Dark Mod this week. It's fantastic. It isn't a Dark engine game, (Thief 1 and 2) but it feels WAY more like one than Thief Deadly Shadows did. They have made some minor changes to the mechanics: Lockpicking is different, reading a scroll/book does NOT pause the game, the use item key/click is not the same as the FROB key/click, etc. but wow does this feel like the first 2 games' engine with a new coat of paint. The game comes with a tutorial mission (good to learn some of the differences) and one fan mission (which was great). There are around 70 missions available to download right now, and it's all done from within the game itself, so it's super easy and convenient. This no longer requires Doom 3 to run.

If you are fretting over the new Thief not being like the old Thief, stop fretting and download this NOW.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2014, 11:48:11 PM »

Watched the preview of this on XB1.

Looks hawt.

If reviews are hawt, I'm in (and hawt).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »

I'll likely get it way down the road when the digital price drops
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2014, 01:27:33 PM

No, it's not.

Like many, I've been nervous about this new Thief.  At first because it was going to be some futuristic thing, then because it was supposedly more action-oriented and most recently because of reports that it was all small spaces with little choice about where to go or what to do.

I have to say that trailer would only feel more like Thief if someone called Garrett a taffer.  That doesn't mean it'll be good, of course, but I'm certainly more interested.  That said, I do hope they maintain the rich world with its steampunky feel and the various factions (Order of the Hammer and whatnot), even if it's evolved in time slightly.

I'm a Thief purist.  I'll be making sure this game is "Thiefy" enough before you have to put down your cash.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 14, 2014, 09:54:26 PM

No, it's not.

Like many, I've been nervous about this new Thief.  At first because it was going to be some futuristic thing, then because it was supposedly more action-oriented and most recently because of reports that it was all small spaces with little choice about where to go or what to do.

I have to say that trailer would only feel more like Thief if someone called Garrett a taffer.  That doesn't mean it'll be good, of course, but I'm certainly more interested.  That said, I do hope they maintain the rich world with its steampunky feel and the various factions (Order of the Hammer and whatnot), even if it's evolved in time slightly.

I'm a Thief purist.  I'll be making sure this game is "Thiefy" enough before you have to put down your cash.  

I wonder how many reviewers will savage this game because it's not "Thief-y enough" as compared to the previous entries in the series?    Even if it's a solid game in its own right (which remains to be seen), I suspect there are lots of folks who will be judging it against the other titles instead of reviewing this game on its own merit.  Can't imagine it'll fare well through that lens.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was praised despite moving away from the original in key areas, so don't be too sure. If the new Thief can interpret the originals well, it'll be able to stand on its own. If it interprets the originals in a shitty way, which is what many things have indicated so far, then it'll be treated the way it deserves by the press.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 14, 2014, 10:13:26 PM

No, it's not.

Like many, I've been nervous about this new Thief.  At first because it was going to be some futuristic thing, then because it was supposedly more action-oriented and most recently because of reports that it was all small spaces with little choice about where to go or what to do.

I have to say that trailer would only feel more like Thief if someone called Garrett a taffer.  That doesn't mean it'll be good, of course, but I'm certainly more interested.  That said, I do hope they maintain the rich world with its steampunky feel and the various factions (Order of the Hammer and whatnot), even if it's evolved in time slightly.

I'm a Thief purist.  I'll be making sure this game is "Thiefy" enough before you have to put down your cash.  

I wonder how many reviewers will savage this game because it's not "Thief-y enough" as compared to the previous entries in the series?    Even if it's a solid game in its own right (which remains to be seen), I suspect there are lots of folks who will be judging it against the other titles instead of reviewing this game on its own merit.  Can't imagine it'll fare well through that lens.
Hmm.

I suspect I'll have to get it sight unseen then so as not to let that impact my play experience.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2014, 01:13:06 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 15, 2014, 12:04:53 AM

I suspect I'll have to get it sight unseen then so as not to let that impact my play experience.

I'm avoiding the trailers and the previews for this reason. I like the old franchise but I'm willing to see this as a new experience. I will wait for the initial GT review however, and of course impressions posted here.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »

I'm a purist, but I'm also one to recognize when a developer has given something a fresh coat of paint for a good reason.  Go back and play those previous games and you'll find plenty to complain about.  Purist, but tolerant.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 14, 2014, 10:13:26 PM

No, it's not.

Did you mean the looking glass? Roll Eyes
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »

walkthrough of the first mission, if you are on the fence.  spoilers obviously, but from what I watched, you can get a good feel for how this will be playing out. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 15, 2014, 10:48:10 PM

walkthrough of the first mission, if you are on the fence.  spoilers obviously, but from what I watched, you can get a good feel for how this will be playing out. 

Looks very cool to me.  I'm sure others will disagree.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »

Was it the whole first mission? I am concerned if missions can be finished in 17 minutes, but don't want to watch it and be spoiled... Hopefully, if it is the whole mission they get longer...

-John

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

Quote from: JCC on February 16, 2014, 12:57:44 AM

Was it the whole first mission? I am concerned if missions can be finished in 17 minutes, but don't want to watch it and be spoiled... Hopefully, if it is the whole mission they get longer...

it's anyone's guess how much of the 1st mission this is.  this could be just the first section, like those zones in Dishonored.   

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »

This was clearly a player who knew the map perfectly already, and if you look at the stats at the very end of the video, you'll see that he barely got any treasures or collectibles, and there was lots of room for improvement.

The video was promising, but what I'm really wondering about is what happens when you get spotted. If you can reliably fight your way out of trouble, much of the tension disappears.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2014, 02:19:55 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 16, 2014, 01:59:09 AM

This was clearly a player who knew the map perfectly already, and if you look at the stats at the very end of the video, you'll see that he barely got any treasures or collectibles, and there was lots of room for improvement.

The video was promising, but what I'm really wondering about is what happens when you get spotted. If you can reliably fight your way out of trouble, much of the tension disappears.

From my hands-on time with it, if you get spotted you are going to get clubbed like a baby seal.  You could probably go toe-to-toe with one peon guard, but get a Sergeant or a pair of them and you're worm food.  I completely agree though - I'm Garrett, not Master Chief.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »

Does anyone know what the save system is in this? Thinking about it, if they don't have a save anywhere/anytime option that may upset me about as much as anything...

-John

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »

Jeremy Conrad from IGN tweeted this:

Thief:
1080p/30 PS4
900p/30 XB1

Why are games still 30 fps? Also, it seems that Xbox One is less powerful, no matter what the magic power of the cloud does? Oh well., its not like its even possible to get one for me yet, and no word on if ever.

The newest 17 minute trailer does look slightly more interesting though!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 18, 2014, 10:32:19 AM

Why are games still 30 fps?

Because for all but the most twitch-heavy games, a stable framerate of 30 frames per second is actually quite pleasant and cinematic. It's typically better to have stable 30 fps than unstable 60 fps, not least because of the way in which modern TVs display pictures on the screen (40 fps means that half of the frames are displayed twice in a row, while the remaining half are displayed once each, leading to judder. Someone correct me if I'm wrong) . Based on the specs above, I'm going to guess that the PS4 version is actually capped pretty severely in order to avoid the worst fluctuations.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »

Well, I have to take your word for that, but I could have sworn one of the things that was touted early in this generations development 60FPS was a big seller.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 18, 2014, 12:00:27 PM

Well, I have to take your word for that, but I could have sworn one of the things that was touted early in this generations development 60FPS was a big seller.

Oh it is, it is. It's just that 60 fps is hard to achieve, even on the PS4, without sacrificing something. It depends on the game type too, of course, but the general idea is that the more open and graphically advanced a game is, the less likely it is to hit 60 fps. Developers have to make a choice between framerate and graphical fidelity, particularly for multiplatform titles, and many will choose the latter.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 18, 2014, 12:12:09 PM

Quote from: Razgon on February 18, 2014, 12:00:27 PM

Oh it is, it is. It's just that 60 fps is hard to achieve, even on the PS4, without sacrificing something. It depends on the game type too, of course, but the general idea is that the more open and graphically advanced a game is, the less likely it is to hit 60 fps. Developers have to make a choice between framerate and graphical fidelity, particularly for multiplatform titles, and many will choose the latter.

For me the 60fps thing doesn't matter in games like this where you tend to move slowly.   Texture tearing happens in racing games where things are flying a bajillion miles an hour past your face in my experience.  (though I've seen it in titles like StarCraft II as well...)

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »

My key from the AMD coupon I bought came today. No preload yet, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2014, 03:00:31 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 18, 2014, 10:32:19 AM

Jeremy Conrad from IGN tweeted this:

Thief:
1080p/30 PS4
900p/30 XB1
Why are games still 30 fps? Also, it seems that Xbox One is less powerful, no matter what the magic power of the cloud does? Oh well., its not like its even possible to get one for me yet, and no word on if ever.

Because the 'magic of the cloud' is a complete pile of bullcrap like I said it was going to be (maybe not here, but I've definitely said it). It is on orders of magnitude slower to do something over the internet than it is to update your screen 30 or 60 times a second.

At best...at BEST you'll see a roundtrip ping of 100ms...which means 10 times a second. And Microsoft seemed to imply that this 'magic cloud' could do things like display graphics? No server farm that they could set up could even begin to handle the requirements that 1/10th of the players could throw their way.

The 'magic cloud' is used for say, Forza. Holding your 'driving stats' and sending it to other players. Or for hosting multiplayer matches. That's it.

Also...I really, really like that walkthrough video posted earlier. I'm so totally on the fence on getting this. And I really should as there's plenty of sales out there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »

I haven't watched the first level video, but the trailer just released looks good.  Curious to see how this reviews.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »

I have this coming on PS4 if anyone's waiting for impressions. 

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »

My GMG code arrived today and I am preloading on Steam as I type. I am both giddy with excitement and filled with trepidation for this. I still haven't decided if I will take a day off to play this...

-John

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:50 AM »

Amazon is giving the original Thief away (amazon is giving it away for free

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IXL5FO/?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=Iny-EJtiEeOStvahFGxSkg0_Wnmy3_IzR_0_0)

and use this promotion code at checkout
DYQZ-RSVAYE-QZ29YC

What was the name of the mod that gave it better graphics?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 04:53:57 AM by naednek » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2014, 02:05:01 AM »

Is this it?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-gold-hd-texture-mod
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »

Quote from: naednek on February 22, 2014, 02:00:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up  thumbsup

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2014, 04:38:03 AM »

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IXL5FO/?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=Iny-EJtiEeOStvahFGxSkg0_Wnmy3_IzR_0_0)

DYQZ-RSVAYE-QZ29YC)

Hmm, I get "This code is not valid."

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2014, 04:53:49 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 22, 2014, 04:38:03 AM

DYQZ-RSVAYE-QZ29YC)

Hmm, I get "This code is not valid."

Weird, works for me.  Did you put it in the promotion spot in the checkout?  I think I see the issue, remove the ")"
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:30 AM »

The promotional code is already applied if you use the link he posted.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2014, 06:19:27 AM »

No, the code is not already applied, the total still says $6.99 and yes I had already removed the excess parenthesis.  Multiple times.

Oh, well, no great loss.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2014, 04:44:47 PM »

So I decided to take the plunge on this for the PC - and the fact that it only cost me $36 (yay for stacking discounts via Green Man Gaming) means I'm not out too much if it completely bombs.

But the last few trailers have shown that this just might be the classic Thief that we're all looking for again.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: