http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is no way the Wii can live up to the hype.  (Read 5348 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 07:18:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 07:13:14 PM

I'll be 34 in December and if I ever feel I've outgrown Nintendo, I want all of you guys on this forum to promise me you'll come to my house and kill me.

Castlevania is the only franchise I associate with Nintendo (games I played on the NES back in the day) that still holds my interest. It translates very well to the DS. I don't feel that Zelda, Metroid or Mario have held up the same.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 20, 2006, 07:18:35 PM

I'll be 34 in December and if I ever feel I've outgrown Nintendo, I want all of you guys on this forum to promise me you'll come to my house and kill me.

Castlevania is the only franchise I associate with Nintendo (games I played on the NES back in the day) that still holds my interest. It translates very well to the DS. I don't feel that Zelda, Metroid or Mario have held up the same.
What about Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS (and the Gameboy Zeldas), Metroid Fusion, or New Super Mario Bros for those franchises?  Those all stick to the NES style gameplay pretty well, especially in the case of the GBA Zelda and Metroid.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:51:59 PM

When I was 12, yeah, it was awesome, but at 32 (next week) its well......boring, to play it on a console. The fun just isn't there for me.

I'm sorry you are a bitter old man.  icon_wink

saywhat Who is bitter about anything? In your universe does someone saying they don't have fun playing a certain type of game anymore make them bitter? Thats pretty fucked up logic, excuse my French. Am I bitter because I don't play with Transformers or GI Joe anymore? After all, I don't play with them anymore either, and I did when I was a kid.

Tell ya what, I will make you a deal, you lay off insulting me over what I play, and I won't criticize the things you play. You know, kind of a thing where we recognize there are different strokes for different folks. Sound like a plan?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 07:30:17 PM »

I don't feel that Zelda, Metroid or Mario have held up the same.

I guess you're bitter also.

I still enjoy Mario on the DS, but when I am on my couch playing a game on TV, I just don't enjoy platform type games anymore. Handheld gaming is a much more "casual" environment for me, with the exception of Uno and a couple of the other Live Arcade games.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 07:40:08 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 07:27:37 PM

When I was 12, yeah, it was awesome, but at 32 (next week) its well......boring, to play it on a console. The fun just isn't there for me.

saywhat Who is bitter about anything? In your universe does someone saying they don't have fun playing a certain type of game anymore make them bitter? Thats pretty fucked up logic, excuse my French. Am I bitter because I don't play with Transformers or GI Joe anymore? After all, I don't play with them anymore either, and I did when I was a kid.

Tell ya what, I will make you a deal, you lay off insulting me over what I play, and I won't criticize the things you play. You know, kind of a thing where we recognize there are different strokes for different folks. Sound like a plan?

And once again you over-react to a joke.  I see it in threads you post in all the time.  I actually tried to anticipate it and I figured the wink smiley was blatant enough for you, but I suppose not.  Now, here's a rolling eyes one:  Roll Eyes

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 07:41:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 20, 2006, 07:24:54 PM

What about Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS (and the Gameboy Zeldas), Metroid Fusion, or New Super Mario Bros for those franchises?  Those all stick to the NES style gameplay pretty well, especially in the case of the GBA Zelda and Metroid.

While they are quite true to the NES games, they just don't do it for me like they did then... and I played the NES stuff all while I was in colelge, so I can't even say it was because I was a kid then. I can't even say what about Castelvania makes it still work.

And yes, jblank, I am bitter, but it has little to do with the state of gaming. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 07:40:08 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 07:27:37 PM

And once again you over-react to a joke.  I see it in threads you post in all the time.  I actually tried to anticipate it and I figured the wink smiley was blatant enough for you, but I suppose not.  Now, here's a rolling eyes one:  Roll Eyes

Wow, I can make one of those also. Roll Eyes

I think you were making a jab and covering it up with the icon and thats how I took it. All I did was explain myself back and try to figure out how you arrived at calling me bitter, whether you meant it or not. I wish we could go a day here without someone using the "I see it in your posts all the time" canard. Thats played out and not indicative of who I am, how I act on the board, or how I treat others. I'm a serious person, but I CAN TAKE A JOKE, but in this case, even with the icon, it seemed more like a jab than a joke, and thats why I said you shouldn't judge what I play and in kind I wont judge you for what you play.

EDIT - Ya know what, I am big enough to admit when I made a mistake, and on second thought, I will give ya the benefit of the doubt and take you at your word that it was a joke and not serious. Sorry if I snapped back at ya in a way you took offense to.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:03:25 PM by jblank » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 07:49:54 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 20, 2006, 07:41:55 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 20, 2006, 07:24:54 PM

While they are quite true to the NES games, they just don't do it for me like they did then... and I played the NES stuff all while I was in colelge, so I can't even say it was because I was a kid then. I can't even say what about Castelvania makes it still work.

And yes, jblank, I am bitter, but it has little to do with the state of gaming. slywink

Cool, we're the charter members of the Bitter Gamers Club. ROCK ON! nod Tongue

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 07:53:52 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 20, 2006, 07:18:18 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:59:45 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 04:42:15 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:37:10 PM

Not North America. GLOBALLY.

Nah, with all the Nintendo fanaticism in Japan, and their fascination with "quirky" things, they will be all over the Wii, so I won't take that bet. When I talk gaming here, I am talking about North America. Global numbers are irrelevant to me, otherwise I would be all over Soccer, which people say is the "#1 sport globally".

Well, I don't believe it will be number one in NA...but globally I do.

But what do you mean by #1? Most total systems sold? Or most sold the month the bet ends? The latter is a possibility, but there's no way the former will be true.

Anotha Doubta!  Put it in tha book.  ATB don't front.  Nintendo Numba 1 fo' life!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 11:56:35 PM »

why?  what's wrong with outgrowing Nintendo kiddie type franchises?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 20, 2006, 11:56:35 PM

why?  what's wrong with outgrowing Nintendo kiddie type franchises?

Nothing... as long as there's nothing wrong with not outgrowing Nintendo kiddie type franchises.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2006, 12:35:53 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon
Regadless of the power of the system, they're making games that I want to play and that will be of higher quality than what's on the other systems.

I think you meant to say "They're making games that I want to play that I think will be of a higher quality than what's on the other systems."

Saying that Nintendo's first party titles are higher quality than everything on the other systems is just close minded hyperbole.

It's especially silly given the fairly large library of extremely high quality games available for the PS2.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2006, 01:26:48 AM »

Quote from: warning on October 21, 2006, 12:09:38 AM

Nothing... as long as there's nothing wrong with not outgrowing Nintendo kiddie type franchises.

I can agree with that, but Grue is making it sound like he dreads the day that he finds himself not liking Nintendo stuff

I just find that kinda strange, if you naturally outgrow Nintendo stuff, then so what?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2006, 01:49:08 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 21, 2006, 01:26:48 AM

Quote from: warning on October 21, 2006, 12:09:38 AM

I can agree with that, but Grue is making it sound like he dreads the day that he finds himself not liking Nintendo stuff

I just find that kinda strange, if you naturally outgrow Nintendo stuff, then so what?

Cause I do dread the day.  Nintendo, to me, equals good clean fun.  Sure, I love my zombie bashing and headshooting people, but my favorite games are the kind that are just plain fun.  Nintendo, for me makes those games.  It reminds me of playing at the arcade in the 80s when I dropped countless quarters into Space Invaders, Asteroids, Frogger, etc.  Video games had a simple innocence back then and Nintendo continues that trend today.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey, Kong...the list goes on and all those games have continued to be fun throughout their countless iterations.  Nintendo manages to innovate while still recycling, but they also come up with cool new stuff like Animal Crossing and Pikmin.  So, if I ever get to the point where all I want to play is the next GTA or FPS, I will consider my youthful exhuberance for video games dead and its something I hope never happens.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2006, 03:04:57 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 21, 2006, 01:49:08 AM

Cause I do dread the day.  Nintendo, to me, equals good clean fun.  Sure, I love my zombie bashing and headshooting people, but my favorite games are the kind that are just plain fun.  Nintendo, for me makes those games.  It reminds me of playing at the arcade in the 80s when I dropped countless quarters into Space Invaders, Asteroids, Frogger, etc.  Video games had a simple innocence back then and Nintendo continues that trend today.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey, Kong...the list goes on and all those games have continued to be fun throughout their countless iterations.  Nintendo manages to innovate while still recycling, but they also come up with cool new stuff like Animal Crossing and Pikmin.  So, if I ever get to the point where all I want to play is the next GTA or FPS, I will consider my youthful exhuberance for video games dead and its something I hope never happens.

even if the GTAs and FPSes you're playing are still 'fun'?  if so (and I'm assuming you find them fun, otherwise why would you even be playing them), then what's the difference?

fun is fun, you either like a game or you don't.  if you get to a point where you only find xbox and playstations games fun, then what are you gonna do... try to change back?  even though those games aren't fun anymore?  I don't get it
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2006, 04:04:42 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 21, 2006, 03:04:57 AM

even if the GTAs and FPSes you're playing are still 'fun'?  if so (and I'm assuming you find them fun, otherwise why would you even be playing them), then what's the difference?

fun is fun, you either like a game or you don't.  if you get to a point where you only find xbox and playstations games fun, then what are you gonna do... try to change back?  even though those games aren't fun anymore?  I don't get it

It's a different kind of fun and hard to quantify.  I have two kinds of fun.  I guess I'm an odd bird. smile

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2006, 04:52:33 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 21, 2006, 04:04:42 AM

Quote from: KePoW on October 21, 2006, 03:04:57 AM

It's a different kind of fun and hard to quantify.  I have two kinds of fun.  I guess I'm an odd bird. smile

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. Nintendo games have a different quality to them, I think, that's very hard to quantify. Lord knows I enjoy Call of Duty and I think Dead Rising is the game of the year, but I just get a different feeling when I'm playing a game like Mario 64, Link to the Past, Paper Mario, or Zelda: The Wind Waker. I have just as much fun with the two types of games, but it's a different kind of fun. Not sure how else to put it smile.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2006, 05:35:03 AM »

haha ok...I'm really not trying to be antagonistic or anything.  I'm just honestly trying to understand what yall mean, psychologically

I guess I don't really get it because the only Nintendo franchise I still liked from the current gen is Metroid Prime.  and that was never really a kiddie franchise to begin with.  and it's not that I didn't have much experience with the old Nintendo, I was the first kid on the block to get a NES so I played the hell out of that and then the SNES of course.  but I've just naturally become disinterested in those younger oriented franchises as I've grown older.  not because of internet peer pressure or anything shallow like that, I just honestly don't find them alluring anymore.  I absolutely despised Wind Waker, I couldn't stand the cartoon look.  Twilight Princess looks cool though, I'm glad they went back to a regular graphical style
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2006, 06:15:19 AM »

To me, Nintendo isn't kiddy.  It's all-ages.  The difference may seem slight but it isn't- it's the difference between something like Toy Story or Iron Giant (films everyone from kids to grandparents can enjoy) and something like, I don't know, the Doodlebops (something which is designed to only appeal to kids).  Mario and Zelda were great to me when I was a kid, and they are equally great to me now.  Not due to any sort of nostalgia (lord knows there are many, many NES games I could never go back to) but because they've taken the same intrinsic sense of wonder and joy I felt back then and transplanted that feeling into gameplay that continues to remains relevant today.  Even a game as great as Okami still falls short of the gameplay standard I've feel I get from Zelda. 
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »

Interesting thread.  But I can't imagine being disappointed in it, since I've been playing the Wii on and off since May and still can't wait to pick up my own system.  I'm thinking my hype level is about even with the "real" system. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »

Quote from: stuntgibbon on October 21, 2006, 03:52:49 PM

Interesting thread.  But I can't imagine being disappointed in it, since I've been playing the Wii on and off since May and still can't wait to pick up my own system.  I'm thinking my hype level is about even with the "real" system. 

Nice to hear a dev has positive things to say about the system.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006, 05:17:17 PM »

I just can't help thinking that the Wii control scheme seems MORE complex than a traditional gampad from what I have seen so far on video.  Since I have no real interest in Nintendo's first party games except for Metroid, and 480p looks like crud on my HD TV, the controller would be the only reason I would buy it. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2006, 12:22:02 AM »

I think it's natural for a current gamer to look at the Wii and think it'll be more complex, since it's a different way to do stuff.  Also since different games are all trying different techniques with it  (which is exciting imo)  it can take you a few minutes to settle in with it per game.   

But, what i think is an important distinction is that it doesn't look more complicated to someone who doesn't game.  The two-handed claw on a PS2 controller right now is hard for an old fart to grasp sometimes.  It LOOKS like an activity for their kids, not them.  But seeing some aim at the screen and fire, seeing someone swing a golf club, etc..   These things are much more inviting to that new crowd.   

The Totemball comparison isn't a fair one (that i saw above.)  I haven't seen a Wii title yet that requires you to hold your arms out like that yet.    (yes, that IS tiring)  For the majority of the titles I've seen, you can get by with what's the equivilent of subtle mouse movements.   (but games smartly compensate should you want to get wilder with it.)  So, most of the time (not really wii sports) you can sit on your couch or chair.. rest your hands on your laps, and keep the movement to your forearms or wrists.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: