http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:09:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There is no way the Wii can live up to the hype.  (Read 5303 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:54:33 AM »

One last post before bed, and it was just something that I was reminded of while reading an article posted on Evil Avatar. The Wii won't live up to the hype, it can't, it'll be a cool, fun console, but no way in hell will it live up to the hype. I just hope everyone anticipating one is prepared to not be as blown away as the hype makes it... Good night, God Bless

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:09:36 AM »

I'm certain the Wii won't be anywhere as cool as people (myself included) hope.  I'm also sure the PS3 won't suck nearly as hard as we've all been thinking.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:16:34 AM »

Sure it won't live up to the hype... if you're hyping it up.  Me?  I'm not hyping it at all.  So it'll be a fine, fine console.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:52:57 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 20, 2006, 02:54:33 AM

One last post before bed, and it was just something that I was reminded of while reading an article posted on Evil Avatar. The Wii won't live up to the hype, it can't, it'll be a cool, fun console, but no way in hell will it live up to the hype. I just hope everyone anticipating one is prepared to not be as blown away as the hype makes it... Good night, God Bless

Agreed.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:56:28 AM »

Answer me one serious question-why in the world do you have so much personally invested in the GC 1.5?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:15:32 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 20, 2006, 03:56:28 AM

Answer me one serious question-why in the world do you have so much personally invested in the GC 1.5?

I basically view the cost of a Nintendo console as a tax I have to pay to play their games. Regadless of the power of the system, they're making games that I want to play and that will be of higher quality than what's on the other systems.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 05:56:59 AM »

im expecting both ps3 and wii to be great machines....the wii for me sounds the more promising,and from the videos i ahve seen ,playing the games with those wiimotes does look like fun

but i think i will always be back on the 360 by the end of each night

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:14:41 AM »

After playing TotemBall with my new Live Vision camera, I'm much less excited about the Wii. I know it's not at all the same thing, but waving my arms around just got old pretty fast. Seems like a novelty. I can't see tilting the Wiimote around any more enjoyable than using the standard controller scheme in Monkey Ball. I see it as potentially more frustrating if anything. Trying to take standard games and slap a Wiimote onto them is going to fail (Madden looks reallly stupid). However, if there are games that use the Wiimote in a unique fashion, then they'll be fun.

Of course, I thought the DS was going to flop with the technologically superior PSP around. But then again, they came out with games that used the touch screen in cool new ways. Something tells me the Wii will live up to some of the hype.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 11:05:22 AM »

Nothing is as good as the hype because we as gamers are lemmings.  Something comes out. We get lathered up at the potential. It hits and even if it's amazing it's never as good as our disproportionate hope.

Whe Wii is going to be fun and a huge success, but I have intentionally ratcheted back the attention I pay to it so that anything from here on in is a pleasant surprise.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on October 20, 2006, 06:14:41 AM

After playing TotemBall with my new Live Vision camera, I'm much less excited about the Wii. I know it's not at all the same thing, but waving my arms around just got old pretty fast.

Major Nelson brought this up on this week's podcast because a reader had commented on it.  My first thought was that people really have the mistaken impression that you have to flail around to get the system to recognize your actions.  In TotemBall, you have your arms stretched out and that definitely will bring about fatigue.  Everything I've read on Wii from people who've played is that you can sit there with your arms in your lap and make fairly small motions and it will recognize.

As for living up to the hype, it will live up to my own personal hype, just like the DS did and that's all that really matters to me in the end, I suppose.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »

The interesting thing is that the hype is ALL about the controls. No one is running around talking about the amazing visuals or anything like that, so what you're saying is that there's no way that the wiimote can be as innovative/fun as it has been made out to be. Hmmm.

Guess we'll see, but after my experience with the DS, a system that was widely derided as gimmicky, I believe Nintendo can pull this off. Much like with the DS, I think there will be games that get it right and will be fantastic, and others that are truly awful.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »

The interesting thing is that the hype is ALL about the controls. No one is running around talking about the amazing visuals or anything like that, so what you're saying is that there's no way that the wiimote can be as innovative/fun as it has been made out to be. Hmmm.

From my experience with the titles on the Wii, it is going to be hit or miss.  Some titles really blew me away while others felt 'forced' on to the system's control scheme.  Games that are Wii exclusive should be a safe bet. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »

That's my thinking too, though I'm hoping that Madden is an exception. I'm intrigued by Madden on the Wii, but I wouldn't make it a day one purchase.

The more I see of Rayman, the more interested I am, and I REALLY wish I knew more about Elebits. The concept is intriguing, but it seems like it could be shallow. The environmental interactivity is great, but how many different environments are there, how much replay value is there, etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 01:58:07 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 20, 2006, 01:37:04 PM

That's my thinking too, though I'm hoping that Madden is an exception. I'm intrigued by Madden on the Wii, but I wouldn't make it a day one purchase.

The more I see of Rayman, the more interested I am, and I REALLY wish I knew more about Elebits. The concept is intriguing, but it seems like it could be shallow. The environmental interactivity is great, but how many different environments are there, how much replay value is there, etc.

Madden on the Wii was pretty cool on the Wii at E3.  E3 was a long time ago in development timelines, but it was a great start! smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »

Outside of some gaming messageboards is there alot of hype?  And doesn't every console get hyped on gaming message boards?  I think it might be cool.  It will be different.  Does different automatically mean better?  Not necessarily.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »

I'm just happy I've hyped myself down over the last few months. I think I'll wind up enjoying the console much more because of it.

But you know what? I still want to try this thing. I'm interested as hell. It looks fun! The fact that I've been sold on a game like Excite Truck, which looked ridiculous when I first saw it, but has been getting a lot of positive press lately, is a good example of how I've shifted towards a simpler, enjoyable gaming experience.

I just want to play the games that are a good time.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 20, 2006, 02:35:55 PM

Outside of some gaming messageboards is there alot of hype?  And doesn't every console get hyped on gaming message boards?

I've seen a couple of general magazines that have listed the Wii as one of the "must-have" holiday gifts.  I think there's a lot of hype out there for it.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

Outside of some gaming messageboards is there alot of hype?  And doesn't every console get hyped on gaming message boards?  I think it might be cool.  It will be different.  Does different automatically mean better?  Not necessarily.

Ditto. I started reading this thread and kept saying to myself, "What hype?".  People talk about it here and they talk about it on other boards, but I'm not hearing my fellow gaming friends slobber with anticipation of it (I personally only know 1 person that has it preordered) like I hear with the PS3.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »

If anything, there's anti-hype around the Wii amongst the gaming hardcore.  Gamecube 1.5, the Giimick, etc.

Sure, the post-hardcore (or as I like to call them, postcore) gamers are wetting their jaded Depends at the "INNOVATESHUN."  Pay them no heed -- in the face of the 360 and PS3, the Wii will inevitably disappoint.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 20, 2006, 03:58:13 PM

If anything, there's anti-hype around the Wii amongst the gaming hardcore.  Gamecube 1.5, the Giimick, etc.

Sure, the post-hardcore (or as I like to call them, postcore) gamers are wetting their jaded Depends at the "INNOVATESHUN."  Pay them no heed -- in the face of the 360 and PS3, the Wii will inevitably disappoint.

Excellent post.

I think it will be a good system, a fun system, and give people who love Nintendo's games a slightly more advanced system to play them on, though I myself am very skeptical of the controls, very skeptical of how its gonna look at 480i/480p, and very skeptical that its gonna sell very well, post launch. To me, its the system that has the most question marks, especially in terms of game releases and the aforementioned items I spoke about. For many people though, all they care about is playing Mario vs. Donkey Kong 4, or Super Mario World Wii Edition, and I doubt they will be disappointed by anything the system gives them.

I have always been of the opinion that this is just a release to say they have a release, and is a sort of half assed effort by Nintendo. They obviously designed the system around the controller, fine, I respect that, but a big gamble. Then they strip out DVD support, strip out HD compatibility, and make it just a little bit faster than its predecessor. Calling it GC 1.5, like you said, is pretty accurate, and for people like me, even though I will eventually get one, I just need a little more from a console to make me hard (in a figurative sense) in anticipation of its release.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »

#1 this gen. Watch and see.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:22:28 PM

In North America?

No chance in hell.

If you factor in Japan I still think it will be PS3#1, 360#2, then the Wii when all is said and done. Despite the fact that the 360 will get murdered by both consoles in Japan.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 04:32:53 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 04:26:57 PM »

Care to bet a $25.00 donation to the charity of the winners choosing, that it doesn't get out of the #3 spot?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 04:26:57 PM

Care to bet a $25.00 donation to the charity of the winners choosing, that it doesn't get out of the #3 spot?

Well, how would we set the parameters? What's the timeline?  By Christmas it will be #2 almost by default.  Does that mean I win?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:30:38 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 04:26:57 PM

Well, how would we set the parameters? What's the timeline?  By Christmas it will be #2 almost by default.  Does that mean I win?

I'll give ya 18 months from launch day, then at that time, we take a look at sales figures on consoles in North America, and if the Wii is #2, I send a $25.00 donation to the charity of your choosing.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »

Not North America. GLOBALLY.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 11:05:22 AM

Nothing is as good as the hype because we as gamers are lemmings.  Something comes out. We get lathered up at the potential. It hits and even if it's amazing it's never as good as our disproportionate hope.

There are rare exceptions to this.  Some games off the top of my head that wound up exceeding my pre-release hype for them:

Titan Quest
Dragon Quest 8 (I was so sure that I would be let down with how hyped up I got over this title, but it exceeded my every expectation)
World of Warcraft
Baldur's Gate II (on the pc, not the Dark Alliance series)
Oblivion (since my expectations were reasonable, I found that the end result was better than those who overhyped themselves)
Metroid Prime (This could count as cheating since I wasn't that excited for it until near release as good impressions rolled in)

So, yeah, hype doesn't always result in being let down, though I'd agree that most of the time it does.  icon_wink I've never really hyped myself up for a console release though; it's just a machine, and the games will be the telling thing.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:37:10 PM

Nah, with all the Nintendo fanaticism in Japan, and their fascination with "quirky" things, they will be all over the Wii, so I won't take that bet. When I talk gaming here, I am talking about North America. Global numbers are irrelevant to me, otherwise I would be all over Soccer, which people say is the "#1 sport globally".

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:42 PM »

First off to answer Calvin, I really have nothing personally invested in the system, I do however enjoy conversation, discussion, and even arguement, and this is an easy way to get people talking about stuff. I saw this on another forum and thought I'd share.

As for the Hype? Um, Time Magazine, Toys'r Us, and a lot of newspapers are touting this as one of the hot holiday items, it's getting a lot of good mainstream press, and I am thinking that there's no way it can be that good. In other words I just remember the last five years, and was tempering my own expectations, and wanted to  get people talking about stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 04:42:15 PM

Nah, with all the Nintendo fanaticism in Japan, and their fascination with "quirky" things, they will be all over the Wii, so I won't take that bet. When I talk gaming here, I am talking about North America. Global numbers are irrelevant to me, otherwise I would be all over Soccer, which people say is the "#1 sport globally".

Well, I don't believe it will be number one in NA...but globally I do.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:59:45 PM

Ok, no problem. I was thinking of strictly NA, so I guess we can't do a bet.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 05:08:54 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM

Ditto. I started reading this thread and kept saying to myself, "What hype?".  People talk about it here and they talk about it on other boards, but I'm not hearing my fellow gaming friends slobber with anticipation of it (I personally only know 1 person that has it preordered) like I hear with the PS3.

My experience is the opposite in that I no nobody who cares about the PS3 due to it being perceived as too expensive and due to the limited supply.  I know plenty of people hyped about the Wii.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 05:33:01 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:08:54 PM

My experience is the opposite in that I no nobody who cares about the PS3 due to it being perceived as too expensive and due to the limited supply.  I know plenty of people hyped about the Wii.

Then we run in very different circles. Most of my friends are 30+ IT guys that are "techies" I guess you would say.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:33:01 PM

Then we run in very different circles. Most of my friends are 30+ IT guys that are "techies" I guess you would say.

So are mine.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 05:43:58 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:42:14 PM

So are mine.

Touche!

All my friends are nuns and convicts.  They're both equally excited for each console.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 20, 2006, 05:42:14 PM

So are mine.

Then I guess your techie friends and my techie friends have very little in common. Like I said, of the 8 or so real hardcore gamers that are buds of mine, only 1 person preordered one and the rest are kinda meh about it. Not counting myself of course. Not trying to demean the guys that like the old Nintendo games, but most of my friends are out of the Mario thing, so that may have something to do with it. I have the Super Mario World on my DS, and I like it on there (in short playing sessions) but I doubt I would even get a Mario game for the Wii, because its just not fun for me to play that on a console anymore. When I was 12, yeah, it was awesome, but at 32 (next week) its well......boring, to play it on a console. The fun just isn't there for me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:53:37 PM by jblank » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2006, 05:56:11 PM »

Just to throw my friends under the bus, most of if not all of my friends at mid-to late 20's IT guys, we have on accountant, me the salesman and everyone else is IT to the core. Oddly enough out of the group two people pre-ordered a Wii, I wasn't one of them, and I am the only one with a 360. Funny thing is that no one really plays a lot of videogames. I own a lot, but I still only get about 7 to 10 hours of gaming in a week.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2006, 06:49:02 PM »

The only Wii hype I see is here, but then I don't read newspapers or magazines or watch the news or any commercials, so I suppose I have limited avenues for hype to reach me. I work in an IT department of about 300 people and I know of ONE other console gamer and he has kids aged 5-10 who are nintendo lovers, so he doesn't count. slywink

I fell for the Nintendo name when I bought the Gamecube. Then I discovered I didn't like a single game on the system. I'm going to try to be strong with the Wii. With the titles I know of at this point, Zelda is the only thing that really tickles my fancy. The cel-shaded one look like pure ass on my big screen, this one should look an awful lot better, but I'm not sure it's enough.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 07:13:14 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:51:59 PM

When I was 12, yeah, it was awesome, but at 32 (next week) its well......boring, to play it on a console. The fun just isn't there for me.

I'm sorry you are a bitter old man.  icon_wink

I'll be 34 in December and if I ever feel I've outgrown Nintendo, I want all of you guys on this forum to promise me you'll come to my house and kill me.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 07:18:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 20, 2006, 04:59:45 PM

But what do you mean by #1? Most total systems sold? Or most sold the month the bet ends? The latter is a possibility, but there's no way the former will be true.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: