http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:15:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There are more people who like PS3 than Xbox 360  (Read 2151 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

Itís a matter of trust, branding and at the end of the day itís PlayStation that proves to be the winner over their Xbox counterpart, well, at least on social media.

Just recently, the PlayStation page has passed 20 million likes on Facebook with the status update of the special moment getting more than 3,000 likes in a span of 15 minutes. Cool huh?

To put things into perspective, PlayStation is leaving Xbox behind with around 5 million of fans. Twitter is also the place where Xbox is being followed less than PlayStation, trailing close to 800,000 followers.

http://myona.com/2012/02/21/people-ps3-xbox-360/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

Xbox users are too busy playing games to use facebook  ninja
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »

I like both.  Somehow my xbox evolved into the kids kinectbox, and my ps3 is upstairs in my bedroom where I play my games.  Lately my xbox live connection (that I pay for) has been terribly slow, taking forever to sign in, while my psn connection has been fast and reliable.  It's like the console network paradigm reveresed on me.     
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 23, 2012, 10:26:48 PM

Itís a matter of trust, branding and at the end of the day itís PlayStation that proves to be the winner over their Xbox counterpart, well, at least on social media.

Just recently, the PlayStation page has passed 20 million likes on Facebook with the status update of the special moment getting more than 3,000 likes in a span of 15 minutes. Cool huh?

To put things into perspective, PlayStation is leaving Xbox behind with around 5 million of fans. Twitter is also the place where Xbox is being followed less than PlayStation, trailing close to 800,000 followers.

Inaccurate thread title is inaccurate.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »

While I agree the thread title is a way overreaching conclusion, I still find the data pretty surprising.  Clearly there are more XBox users than PS3 users overall, so the social media disparity is an interesting data point. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »

I do think that my first comment is somewhat true fwiw.  A lot of people who have a ps3 but not an xbox, primarily watch bluray on the ps3 rather than game.  These same semi-non-gamers are the type of people who use facebook/twitter religiously.

I use facebook a lot and prefer the xbox, so it goes both ways.  I just have found that most facebook friends have ps3's or both, not just an xbox.

Teggy's a facebook friend and he's all into macs and ps3's so that tells a story too, right?  icon_twisted
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »

Well, the PlayStation Facebook page is for the PlayStation brand.  It's not only for the PS3.  Same as the XBox page is for the XBox brand, not just the XBox 360.  Hence, inaccurate thread title is inaccurate.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 24, 2012, 03:38:30 AM

I use facebook a lot and prefer the xbox, so it goes both ways.  I just have found that most facebook friends have ps3's or both, not just an xbox.

Teggy's a facebook friend and he's all into macs and ps3's so that tells a story too, right?  icon_twisted

How can I find you guys?  Are you connected to Ron Burke?  I don't see Teggy's name on there.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:11:38 AM »

I like both and hate Facebook.

Where do I vote?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »

I have both and don't even own a facebook or twitter acct.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »

Most of you guys are Americans, and it gives you a bit of a skewed perspective considering that while the 360 is the most popular console there, it's not in the rest of the world. I saw a couple of numbers about console game sales in Norway recently, and I think the numbers were about 60% being PS3-games, with 360 being around 30% or so. The 360 is usually sold with the argument that more of your friends are available to play with there, but that's only true if most of your friends are Americans.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »

I thought that, save for someone being trollish, the pissing matches of 360 vs PS3 were behind us here.

A lot of people who have a ps3 but not an xbox, primarily watch bluray on the ps3 rather than game.

I use my PS3 almost exclusively for blu ray, and I find myself using my 360 for Netflix a lot more lately than actual games.

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2012, 06:35:19 AM

Most of you guys are Americans, and it gives you a bit of a skewed perspective considering that while the 360 is the most popular console there, it's not in the rest of the world. I saw a couple of numbers about console game sales in Norway recently, and I think the numbers were about 60% being PS3-games, with 360 being around 30% or so. The 360 is usually sold with the argument that more of your friends are available to play with there, but that's only true if most of your friends are Americans.

haven't you figured out us in America don't give a crap about the rest of the world unless there's oil involved? icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »

I think the Xbox 360 has sold more than PS3 in the UK(last i heard),but mainland Europe it's the other way round,we know about Japan,not sure about Australia

I have both but use my 360 most,on my Facebook page that i hardly use i have 'liked' Xbox UK and SONY,and on Twitter for Video games i just follow those Inside Xbox guys and Major Nelson but no SONY people

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »

Heh. I never use my facebook account directly (my phone is tied into it).

Went online and gave the Xbox brand a little support. slywink 1 vote, specifically.

My PS3 is a media box. I own 4 games for it, and the controllers are dust-collectors. That isn't to say if it was my ONLY console that I wouldn't play on it, but the exclusives don't compel me, and there is a giant collection of friends I have on 360.

I prefer the controller, the live experience, and the way they handle achievements.

In terms of interface, I think both the PS3 and 360 stink.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »

Does this thread really need to devolve into a discussion of what consoles each one of us prefers? The topic in the original post is interesting without having to turn it into a console war (however friendly it may be).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »

Sure. Ok. What would you like then, an argument on the semantics of the thread title?

It's an opportunity to, in present day, evaluate your own interests and uses of the competing platforms, and share them. I'm not sure thats a devolved state, unless you'd like to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of a count of "likes" on a social platform that a number of people have already commented have no bearing on their own interests.

Perhaps Sony at one point ran a promo to get free crap by simply "liking" them on Facebook.

Some people are attaching sales figures, but that doesn't at all count for "liking", nor does it really connect to reality in any way. For instance, there is an Xbox UK section. Should they consolidate their likes to get a better reading? This in no way reflects registered hardware, number of users, whether their "likers" are cross-platform owners or not, or any other valid metric to take both samples to compare them.

What we'd be left with is either a conversation that boils down two responses:

"hrm, interesting...."
 "naw, that's bullshit."

Tongue
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:42:37 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »

I for one would like to know why there is such a difference between the likes each console has. That you personally prefer one console over another is frankly irrelevant, though if that's what people want the discussion to be about, then that's what's going to happen regardless of whether I like it or not.

Does the number of "likes" say something about the type of customer Sony has compared to Microsoft? Does it say something about the actual sales of the consoles? Is it a reflection of more focus on social communities from Sony than from Microsoft? Does it indicate larger customer satisfaction with one over the other?

These are all interesting questions to me, and I don't know the answers. Maybe someone here does?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »

By all means, speculate. I can only give you information about my scenario.

Plus, you ignored the part about using Facebook "Likes" as contest entries.

Oh wait - here's a link : http://www.facebook.com/PlayStation

Right on that page, there is a "like us and get a free dynamic theme". It's like saying "You want a cupcake? You gotta be my friend first!" It's common practice, but when you shine a light on it, it's kind of deplorable in that they are buying your support to then have touted. I'm sure MSFT has done stuff like that too.

Also, at the time of the writing of this post, www.facebook.com/xbox has 15million likes. So either they tripled their content, or this random Malaysian news article which looks to have a pretty strong slant on their article is trying to get people to choose option A from my last post.

I'm calling bullshit.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

Yes, a story about how I am awesome.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 24, 2012, 04:07:24 AM

How can I find you guys?  Are you connected to Ron Burke?  I don't see Teggy's name on there.

You can find me in the Gaming Trend group - look on the wall and search for Teggy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

Looking around, the XboxCanada and XboxPlaystation are pretty close together (both sit at ~160K). The XboxJapan is sadly (and appropriately) lacking (35K). I couldn't find a PS UK one, but there is 500k for Xbox there, so region breakup may have something to do with the gap. So the promotions run, and incentives to collect likes are based soley on the facebook behavior. There isn't a "branding trust" attached that the Malaysian site touts. Considering the "Playstation" brand covers 3 current products (PS3, PSP, VITA) and Xbox covers one (Xbox360), I would also expect some disparity there.

Seems to me like this isn't news, the Xbox site is 5 million behind, not AT 5 million, and who knows how many "like us" campaigns have been run on either to entice some sort of sway? If MSFT said "Free copy of new XBL arcade game, like us on Facebook!" their numbers would soar - problem is, people without Facebook would be annoyed - Devil, for instance, who has no Facebook. Tongue

TL;DR?

Proner is right, and read the article. It's poorly worded, and biased. Also consider promotions and regional sub-sites in the grand scheme of things. I doubt there is a large difference in the target markets, other than the PS brand is 3 platforms over Xbox's 1 brand.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 24, 2012, 02:01:27 PM

Plus, you ignored the part about using Facebook "Likes" as contest entries.

Yes I did. It was just random speculation. Now that you've backed it up with some more info it becomes more interesting.

Right on that page, there is a "like us and get a free dynamic theme".

I believe you, but I can't find any text like that on the page you linked to.

Also, at the time of the writing of this post, www.facebook.com/xbox has 15million likes. So either they tripled their content, or this random Malaysian news article which looks to have a pretty strong slant on their article is trying to get people to choose option A from my last post.

Or you need to work on your reading comprehension. slywink Try reading the original article again.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2012, 02:17:52 PM

Or you need to work on your reading comprehension. slywink Try reading the original article again.

actually it's the article that's poorly worded:

that makes it sound like Xbox only has around 5 million fans.  if they changed 'with' to 'by' it'd make better sense.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2012, 01:33:50 PM

Does this thread really need to devolve into a discussion of what consoles each one of us prefers? The topic in the original post is interesting without having to turn it into a console war (however friendly it may be).

the entire bottom line of the topic is which console people prefer... 'There are more people who like PS3 than Xbox 360'  You have to be either incredibly naive or stupid to not expect people to post which they support in a thread with that title.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »

In this case, they're advertising another product.

"Get a free PS3 dynamic theme in 3 easy steps!
 1. Like The Last of Us
 2. Watch The Last of Us VGA 2011 trailer
 3. Click submit"
The Like is a link to The Last of Us (which is why I said I have no idea of either site's historical behavior on contests / free content).

I've noticed a lot of promo codes and the like coming from Majornelson.com (which isn't directly linked to facebook.com/xbox), who has over 400,000 twitter followers. I will occasionally check out his stuff for links to new demos and XBLA downloads as well as sales.

Up until this thread, I had visited neither facebook page - I'm almost like devil in that I am adverse to using Facebook unless it's just due to linking to stuff for friends/family to enjoy such as funny youtube videos. My phone integrates with it, so I'm on there more than I actually am. biggrin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:52:51 PM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 24, 2012, 04:50:19 PM

1. Like The Last of Us
 3. Click submit"
The Like is a link to The Last of Us (which is why I said I have no idea of either site's historical behavior on contests / free content).

Ah, so that's what you meant. They aren't asking people to like Sony's Facebook page then. In that case I also found similar campaigns for the 360 when Googling this earlier today, such as this one. I appreciate the point you're making, and it's a good one, but I don't think there's enough of a difference between the two companies in how they deal with Facebook's Like functionality.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 24, 2012, 05:00:57 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 24, 2012, 04:50:19 PM

1. Like The Last of Us
 3. Click submit"

Ah, so that's what you meant. They aren't asking people to like Sony's Facebook page then. In that case I also found similar campaigns for the 360 when Googling this earlier today, such as this one. I appreciate the point you're making, and it's a good one, but I don't think there's enough of a difference between the two companies in how they deal with Facebook's Like functionality.

I concur. I also don't think their audience is drastically different. I think the bulk of the gap would fall into how they approach their brand on this one particular site, rather than it being a connection between who actually likes one more than the other.

MS uses Major to push out info - they have facebook links, but it isn't where their focus is. They also have carved up their facebook presence over different subsites (xboxuk vs xbox).

Lastly, the number of products branded "Xbox" is 1, whereas Playstation is at least 3.

We could also talk phones, but WP7's Xbox component is less than 2% of the cell phone industry, and Sony's Xperia / playstation phone is something I've never seen in the wild (as in, knowing ANYONE who owns and uses one).

I haven't gone looking though. I think, at the end of all of this typing, I look at the two different pages, and think to myself: that Malaysian site was creating non-news, and they wrote a pretty biased piece. It doesn't factor ANY of these things in, and instead claims that the Playstation brand, the same one that lost my info to hackers just around a year ago, is in a more likable position.

It doesn't hold water IMHO. smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »

Xbox360 smells badly!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2012, 08:49:48 PM

Xbox360 smells badly!

You would too if you didn't have any olfactory sensors.  Or even a nose.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 23, 2012, 11:32:58 PM

I like both.  Somehow my xbox evolved into the kids kinectbox, and my ps3 is upstairs in my bedroom where I play my games.  Lately my xbox live connection (that I pay for) has been terribly slow, taking forever to sign in, while my psn connection has been fast and reliable.  It's like the console network paradigm reveresed on me.      

Same here. I game way more on my PS3 now as my Xbox has turned into the kids favorite plaything with Kinect and Live has turned into a slow bloated POS, IMO. How exactly do they justify the $50 a year, when Playstation+ gives you tons of FREE games and other bonus things for the same price????

Ok, I'm ready for the lynching now!  Torches and Happiness!

No, this is not the resurection of the old Sony Defence Force or anything.....just giving my opinion on the state of Live right now, really. I'm not happy with it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:36:13 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 24, 2012, 01:00:39 AM

A troll! ATTACK!!!

Considering the thread title is simply the same title as the news story (whether you agree or not) it is accurate as I simply copied the news link, never actually injected my opinion into the thread.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »

copying from an inaccurate source doesn't make something accurate.  ninja

Unless that source is The Onion of course
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 24, 2012, 11:39:13 PM

A troll! ATTACK!!!

Considering the thread title is simply the same title as the news story (whether you agree or not) it is accurate as I simply copied the news link, never actually injected my opinion into the thread.

How am I not surprised you went straight for the personal attack.  Lame.

And as Hark said, copying something from an inaccurate source doesn't make something accurate.  My post stands as being accurate.  That you don't like it is also not surprising.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 25, 2012, 03:40:15 PM

A troll! ATTACK!!!

And as Hark said, copying something from an inaccurate source doesn't make something accurate.  My post stands as being accurate.  That you don't like it is also not surprising.

Well of course I don't like you trolling my posts, any more than you'd like someone trolling yours. I'd like to think you're smarter than you make yourself out to be on these boards so I'll clarify my post again for you.

My thread title (the one you claim is inaccurate) is a simple word for word cut of the news article, it's not an opinion of my own but simply a news headline.
If anyone else had said it was an inaccurate thread title I wouldn't have minded because I know they had good intentions, but given your history of trolling my posts if you didn't want to troll you would have said it was an 'inaccurate news story' and then followed up with your own opinion or facts to back it up, rather than simply doing what you do best - trolling.
Rather than call out the news article itself, you called out the poster.
Thus, as the thread title is meant as a news story and not an opinion, the title itself is accurate as it reflects a news link, not an opinion. I never claimed the news post was accurate one way or the other. You'll notice I post a lot of news links (on all subjects) here, and I simply use the title of the news headline as my thread subject.

I don't mind having a good debate with someone, but not if that other person can't actually formulate an argument rather than just give trolling comments to posts he has no business in. I told you last time if you are going to get your panties in a twist on posts I make and your skin really is that thin, then simply ignore them. If you want to contribute, then great.. just don't be a troll about it.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 25, 2012, 05:23:33 PM

A troll! ATTACK!!!

Well of course I don't like you trolling my posts, any more than you'd like someone trolling yours. I'd like to think you're smarter than you make yourself out to be on these boards so I'll clarify my post again for you.

My thread title (the one you claim is inaccurate) is a simple word for word cut of the news article, it's not an opinion of my own but simply a news headline.
If anyone else had said it was an inaccurate thread title I wouldn't have minded because I know they had good intentions, but given your history of trolling my posts if you didn't want to troll you would have said it was an 'inaccurate news story' and then followed up with your own opinion or facts to back it up, rather than simply doing what you do best - trolling.
Thus, as the thread title is meant as a news story and not an opinion, the title itself is accurate as it reflects a news link, not an opinion. I never claimed the news post was accurate one way or the other. You'll notice I post a lot of news links (on all subjects) here, and I simply use the title of the news headline as my thread subject.

I don't mind having a good debate with someone, but not if that other person can't actually formulate an argument rather than just give trolling comments to posts he has no business in. I told you last time if you are going to get your panties in a twist on posts I make and your skin really is that thin, then simply ignore them. If you want to contribute, then great.. just don't be a troll about it.

Your hypocrisy brings the lulz.  I would have called out anyone on here for something so inaccurate.  There's nothing else to be said.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:30:11 PM by pr0ner » Logged

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:11 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 25, 2012, 10:19:19 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 25, 2012, 05:23:33 PM

A troll! ATTACK!!!

Your hypocrisy brings the lulz.  I would have called out anyone on here for something so inaccurate.  There's nothing else to be said.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »

What the heck is this? Kindergarten?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »

nuh uh!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »

Corrupt, the bottom line is if you were quoting the article title, but weren't trying to flame, you should have put something like "MyOna Report:" at the start of it or "News article claims that..." or something similar.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »

I think this is appropriate here:

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: