http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 08:17:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wowhawk thread - Operation: Broken Mirror now available!  (Read 15956 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2007, 05:43:09 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 30, 2007, 05:04:22 AM

Dudes,

Multiplayer GOTY so far, EASILY.

Dogfighting with 32 players is AMAZING to behold.

<3 <3 <3
Yeah that was insanely fun tonight with you & Calvin.  That and the other games we played...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:45:49 AM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2007, 06:52:49 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 29, 2007, 10:23:41 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2007, 05:58:55 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2007, 04:41:08 PM

I'M NOT LISTENING LALALALALALALAL.

gellar

Me neither, DO NOT NEED. LEEEDEEEDEDEEDEE (oh, and btw, after the UK launch? Why? WTF. Fix broken shit now)

proberbly so they can do a worldwide update all at once in stead of pissing about releaseing one region at a time

anyway,its nearly 11.30pm wednesday night...warhawk is due thursday sometime,so not that long to wait really

apparently we are getting it at 5pm tonight...which is in about 9hrs time...but i guess the after UK launch for the update is just to buy them some time

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2007, 08:04:14 AM »

So, I really did not have any intention of buying Warhawk-multiplayer only game on a network that I honestly think is really struggling right now (PSN). Yeah, but Depward was really into it. Early reviews were lukewarm. Reviews around release were very positive. Dep got it, and liked it. TML got it, and played a little, and liked it. More glowing reviews came out. This afternoon I was annoyed with Tiger Woods, had just sold some stuff, and figured what the hell, lets do it! So I downloaded it surprisingly quickly, and went straight into about 1.5 hours of multiplayer mayhem with my best boys dep and TML.

Let me tell you-it was some of the most fun I have had with multiplayer truly in a very long time. Our first game was a 32 player dogfight Warhawk only. Jesus that was about as much fun MP as anything I have played this year. Think the same frantic combat of Crimson Skies in a slightly more drab universe, but with more realized weapons and of course graphics-thats what the aerial combat is like. It is simply fantastic. I got the hang of it quickly and loved it. The ground combat came into play the next few maps we tried-and while I certainly like it much less than the aerial, its actually surprisingly playable. Movement is a tad iffy, and there doesn't seem to be zoom with the weapons, but it plays kinda like a slightly less precise 3rd person Battlefield 2 on the ground.

The best part of ground combat is that if you dedicate yourself to it you can REALLY make a difference in the air. One map I grabbed a rocket launcher, took down depward in his warhawk with three well placed rounds (they lock on), then jumped in a SAM site (so, so deadly) and had my way with 2-3 other Warhawks (ok, not all in a row, but you get the point!). There are dozens of medals, badges, and ribbons to be won (3 levels of all the medals and badges)-kind of the same system as the later Battlefield games in terms of having sometimes multiple prerequisites in order to earn a badge/medal/ribbon-but some much more straightforward, and frankly more in depth and more options than the BF games.

Really, I have only played one night, and the legs of this game will depend on how long the three of us and other GTers play and have good teamwork-but so far I might go out on a limb and say this is the most fun game on the PS3 right now. Totally worth the 40$! Go get it!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

sounds great Calvin

the UK version has just gone up on PSN...downloading now

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007, 09:26:42 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 30, 2007, 09:24:05 AM

sounds great Calvin

the UK version has just gone up on PSN...downloading now
Nice! Will be great to finally play something with you-off to bed for me now.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »

Just played a few random games this morning and thus far it's looking like alot of fun.  I experienced ZERO lag on the servers i tried out.

However, i do have a question about voice communication.   I see the manual says to hit the L3 button to talk.   So how do i do that exactly?   I have the Jabra which came with the game, but i never got it to work.   Do i have to hold down L3 every time i wanna say something?   What do you do?   Also, is there any way to get the voice communication to come out the headset and not my tv speakers?

Looking forward to hooking up with some folks here soon.   Looks like a real keeper.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »

i have just played 1 game......i set up a password room for 8 players....somehow the 8 players got in,unless they were bots...they were bastard good bots anyway

first thing

i cant see all of the left hand side of the screen,especially when i was setting the room up....would that be PS3 settings or my TV?(not had any trouble before with anything else)

how do you turn the tips off...as i have little of that side of the screen...i would like to get all i can

but first i am gonna write down what each bomb is...the writing is small,so if i write it down,and then turn the tips off,i can learn easier instead of squinting everytime the writing appears

but,man did i enjoy it.....i tried doing loop the loop under a bridge,and then went face first into the top of it!!

if i can just get used to everything,this could be one of those games that will keep on giving

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

okay....3 hrs later impressions

i am F***ing shit at flying the plane.....i can never dodge the missiles,but everyone else can...i lock on with my missiles and they fly right past me and i try to turn the plane round but its no use,i either get round to slow or they keep circling me

on the ground is where i shine...the missile launchers usually in the corner of a base is great,as well as the other turrets as well,i can bring a few planes down with them....on foot i am so-so...ran about 6 or so people over in the jeep...tried to snipe,but everyone was in planes

the bad-
that map...destroyed capitol or something like that,is one of the worse maps ever,i hate it with a passion...i spawn in the corner in a 32 player game and everyone grabs a warhawk,so i am stranded there until another plane spawns,because i go on the turrets there but all the enemy planes stay in the middle out of my reach

after burner-crap...works only when it wants to(press R2 twice)....missile lock..oh,i know,i'll use after burner and dodge it with manouvers and speed....oh no i wont because i am concentrating on getting the bastard after burner to actually work and a missile kicks me up the ass!!

clip a mountain or a building with your wing,and it turns off your thrust,so you are just hovering...oh goodie i was actually trying to outrun a missile...and now my sodding plane has left me like a sitting duck...thanks!!

and is there a way to not have to toggle speech?,i hate using the L3 button to talk while trying to fly a plane with the same analogue stick

although on another note i fixed my picture so i can see all the picture now,and i turned off the tips

anyway still a good game,but flawed..mightly flawed
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:40:31 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »

do you have to push the L3 button every time you want to speak or does it stay on until you click it again?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »

keep it held down until you're done.  Then, release.  You'll hear audible beeps to let you know when the mic is activated and not.

Actually I'm looking for a full headset, rather than an earpiece.  Something with a boom microphone that better picks up voice than something attached to my ear.

Metallicorphan, you can use Chaff to avoid missile, press right on the dpad to select, fire them like any missile.  It'll break the lock on your plane.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 30, 2007, 01:46:50 PM

keep it held down until you're done.  Then, release.  You'll hear audible beeps to let you know when the mic is activated and not.

Actually I'm looking for a full headset, rather than an earpiece.  Something with a boom microphone that better picks up voice than something attached to my ear.

Metallicorphan, you can use Chaff to avoid missile, press right on the dpad to select, fire them like any missile.  It'll break the lock on your plane.

yeah i am a little overwhelmed with all the weapons at the moment,and have to memorise where each one is set on the D-pad,and what they do

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »

can someone please tell me that there is a way to save your settings

everything has gone back to how it was

i have to keep adjusting the screen,customizing my character and warhawk and my favourite servers are no longer in my favourites

i cant find anywhere how to save the settings

this is more and more feeling like an half assed game

signed

I.B. PISSED

depward

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »

They should save automatically...

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »

i still can't get the Jabra to work.  i hold down the L3 button and never hear a beep or anything to let me know it's working.

as far as game impressions, WOW.   this game just rocks!   i suck big time, but man is it alot of fun.   love using the big turrets to shoot down enemy Warhawks.   we gotta get a GT session going for this.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 30, 2007, 03:05:51 PM

They should save automatically...

yeah thats what i thought first time round

and Xmann-'i hold down the L3 button and never hear a beep or anything to let me know it's working'...same here,i am sick of some london guy asking if anyones got a mic,and me trying to answer him back....i have a o2 bluetooth headset though...worked fine in the PS3 settings

LOL,i dont think i have had this many problems with a game straight away for a long time

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »

so do you only hear chatting through the tv speakers?   i just played on a server for about 6 map rotations and never heard a peep from anyone.   am i missing something with the chat here?  i'd surely like to know how to get it working.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »

did you pair your headset with the ps3?  Did you charge it fully?  Did you correctly turn on your jabra (hold the button for five seconds)?  Did you then try to hold it down for two seconds after that (hear a beep)?  In game, if you see a mic next to your name on top left of screen, hold down l3 and talk.  Did it register your voice?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »

(Borrowed from GAF) Someone wrote up a nice "tips" summary... thought I'd post it here:

Posting this again incase anyone wants to know:

Flight tips:

Hold down the fire button when using missiles. They will automatically lock on to targets in your scope. Release the fire button to fire.

Double tap and hold R2 for a speed boost. Useful to get somewhere quickly or avoid locked missiles (turn around buildings/hills).

Hold L2 & R2 to execute a powerslide.

If you're going to use sticks and not motion control, play with Pro-Flight active. It takes a bit of getting used to but definitely makes you much more agile in the air, also makes those silly newbs doing constant barrel rolls easy pickings. Start your own password protected game and learn.

Learn where the chaff and health pickups are in the air when flying. Those two items are your lifeline and will make the difference of staying alive for 2 mins or 20.

Beware the Ground-to-Air guns and missiles. They will shread your warhawk almost immediately. If you want to get risky you can try to get behind them and use a large homing missile, otherwise just land as close as you can and chuck grenades.

The stealth powerup is usefull for flying around the map grabbing all other powerups without interruption. When you start using your weapons the stealth will instantly deactivate so use it only when you're not going to fight.

Tow Missiles is the most powerful weapon for a Warhawk. If you see a shockwave go off somewhere on the map that's the Tow. Know where they spawn. You can be a real rat bastard if you keep picking one up, hiding, and killing groups of people without anyone knowing where you are. Great to take out a well defensed group.

Small tip for Air-to-Air combat. If I'm flying against someone that is somewhat skilled, I like to fire a single swarm missile at him just so that he gets rid of his chaff, then load up ten more for the next slavo.

Land Tips:

There are no parachutes and you cannot jump out of a plane that does not have it's landing gear down (automatically extends when Warhawk is in hover mode and close to the ground). Keep this in mind if you are going to jump into a Warhawk in passenger mode. You may be taken on a long and stupid ride unless you really trust the guy.

Infantry weapon is as follows: Knife is most effective for extreme close combat (one hit kill), guns/flamethrowers are most effective for close range combat, machine gun for medium range, sniper for long range. Rocket launchers will lock onto Warhawks, Tansks and I believe Ground-To-Air missiles/guns. Know your distance and when to use what weapon.

Binoculars are used for calling an airstrike. Just "shoot" the binoculars to a far distance and wait until the timer reaches zero. One hit kills anything in its radius.

Equipping the knife will make you invisible to enemy's radar. That is a big deal.

Grenade on a soldier is a one hit kill on contact.

Vehicle Tips:

Tank shots can kill Warhawks in one hit. If you see a hovering Warhawk don't hesitate to aim and shoot.

Tanks can carry two players, one driver and one passenger. The passenger can pop in and out of the Tank hatch with the Triangle button (IIRC) and fire on anyone in range using an eqquiped gun, machine gun or missile launcher.

On Jeeps: Hold down L2 & R2 to cause a skid. Useful for quickturns and just looking/sounding cool. A jeep can hold three players: Driver, Gunner and Passenger. The passenger is a gimp that can't do anything but sit along for the ride. R1 is the jeep's horn. Annoy at will.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »

yes i hear through the headset...i tested it through the PS3 settings before hand.....must say the communication on the PSN period is shit anyway...whether they talk or not,might be the fact that i hate the earpiece not being able to see if its on,not being able to see how loud it is(is it at its loudest setting or not) or not being able to know whether you have muted it right

god i'm in a complaining mood today

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2007, 04:13:54 PM »

Damn... I can't find my damn bluetooth headset, so if I want this, I need to go into the store to get it.

Sucky.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 30, 2007, 04:13:54 PM

Damn... I can't find my damn bluetooth headset, so if I want this, I need to go into the store to get it.

Sucky.

gellar
Or do what Calvin, TML & I do - jump into a game of Aegis Wing (blech) on Live and chat on there while playing Warhawk   nod

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 30, 2007, 04:16:53 PM

Sucky.

gellar
Or do what Calvin, TML & I do - jump into a game of Aegis Wing (blech) on Live and chat on there while playing Warhawk   nod

That is a ridiculous amount of work.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 30, 2007, 03:30:26 PM

did you pair your headset with the ps3?  Did you charge it fully?  Did you correctly turn on your jabra (hold the button for five seconds)?  Did you then try to hold it down for two seconds after that (hear a beep)?  In game, if you see a mic next to your name on top left of screen, hold down l3 and talk.  Did it register your voice?
My BT (got it about 3 months ago) is Jabra too, and they can be a bitch to sync with PS3 (not to mention my iphone), just keep trying, eventually it will sync.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 30, 2007, 04:17:23 PM

Sucky.

gellar

gellar
Yes it is, but it is 17x better voice chat. Believe me-PSN is sorely, sorely lacking in this feature.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 30, 2007, 04:17:23 PM

And a ridiculous amount of heat generated. You'll burn your house down, man! biggrin

However, after reading the complaints above, I could see how it would be SO much easier that way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »

okay...i got the settings to save(third time lucky)

and i still cant tell if the L3 button is working for the voice...no beeps,but i can hear the headset is on

i am gonna watch once upon a time in the west(just got it on DVD) and then go to sleep,i have been up since 9pm last night(its now 7.30pm)

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:55 PM »

Yep it is synced and paired properly.   I have it turned on and still won't work when i hold the L3 button down.   Pretty pissed since i bought the retail version for the Jabra.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »

and oh, what am i suppose to be hearing through the headset?   am i suppose to be hearing team chat....because i hear nothing.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 30, 2007, 06:27:50 PM

and oh, what am i suppose to be hearing through the headset?   am i suppose to be hearing team chat....because i hear nothing.

well i hear the odd dickhead burping....and the usual static in the background..so i know its working...but like i said,not many people in UK have a headset yet,the retail of warhawk isnt released until 14th september

did you do the test for the heasdset in the PS3 settings....as i didnt turn that part on at first yesterday when i first got the headset(i did the pairing but didnt turn it on from another part of the audio settings menu)

from the XMB go into settings,>>accessory settings>>audio device settings>>

and then you should be on a screen that when you talk into the microphone a little graphic equalizer like when K.I.T.T. would talk in Knight Rider..should be there...and it has options under neath..connect bluetooth and OK

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »

ya i see the bar moving in the accessories window when i test it.   i just can't get it to work in game.  i hear nothing nor can i speak and get anything to work.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 30, 2007, 08:20:03 PM

ya i see the bar moving in the accessories window when i test it.   i just can't get it to work in game.  i hear nothing nor can i speak and get anything to work.

Same for me.  I hear people talking occasionally but I can't tell if they can hear me.  I played for about 2 hours this afternoon and enjoyed the game quite a bit.  The on-foot ground combat is pretty bad, but the air battles are great.  I suck at the controls with the Warhawk so far, but I think the game is fun enough to put in the time to learn. 

I wondered wtf you guys were doing playing aegis wing last night.  Now it makes sense.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 30, 2007, 09:22:04 PM

Quote from: Xmann on August 30, 2007, 08:20:03 PM

Same for me.  I hear people talking occasionally but I can't tell if they can hear me.  I played for about 2 hours this afternoon and enjoyed the game quite a bit.  The on-foot ground combat is pretty bad, but the air battles are great.  I suck at the controls with the Warhawk so far, but I think the game is fun enough to put in the time to learn. 

I wondered wtf you guys were doing playing aegis wing last night.  Now it makes sense.  icon_biggrin

Do you have me on your friends list? CalvinGT-also, X? Turtle I think I need to add you.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2007, 09:45:40 PM »

i'll have to check Calvin, thought i sent out invites to everyone in the PS3 thread in the mp forum.   i'm xmann1102 i believe.   should be on later this evening for a bit.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »

Same for me.  I hear ot ground combat is pretty bad, but the air battles are great.  I suck at the controls with the Warhawk so far, but I think the game is fun enough to put in the time to learn.

Someone told me that you had to setup an input and output channel, after you sync and test the bluetooth headset.  Just because its setup to work on the PS3, doesn't mean its set to be the active device.  Anyway, maybe crap, but I was told at work.

I still really like the game.  the ground battles are fine, the Warhawks are fine.  Just a lot of people are better then me, and there are a ton of weapons and pieces to learn.  Its not like Battlefield where tanks rocked.  Everything in Warhawk has a counter, and even the lowely knife kicks ass.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »

Quote from: Scott on August 31, 2007, 12:03:02 AM

Same for me.  I hear ot ground combat is pretty bad, but the air battles are great.  I suck at the controls with the Warhawk so far, but I think the game is fun enough to put in the time to learn.

Someone told me that you had to setup an input and output channel, after you sync and test the bluetooth headset.  Just because its setup to work on the PS3, doesn't mean its set to be the active device.  Anyway, maybe crap, but I was told at work.

I still really like the game.  the ground battles are fine, the Warhawks are fine.  Just a lot of people are better then me, and there are a ton of weapons and pieces to learn.  Its not like Battlefield where tanks rocked.  Everything in Warhawk has a counter, and even the lowely knife kicks ass.

Thank god though right? Balance is frigging a beautiful thing!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2007, 01:12:54 AM »

Won't get to play much tonight, but gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.   I really really like this game alot.   I suck at most everything, but shooting down Warhawks with turrets is awesome.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2007, 01:35:16 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 31, 2007, 01:12:54 AM

Won't get to play much tonight, but gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.   I really really like this game alot.   I suck at most everything, but shooting down Warhawks with turrets is awesome.
Probably going to start playing around 730 or 8 PST.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2007, 03:35:29 AM »

Thank god though right? Balance is frigging a beautiful thing!
I agree, I mostly like the balance, unless I'm on the end of it smile.

I haven't had any problems finding Warhawks on any of the maps.  There are always a bunch lying around.  Its not like Battlefield where the vehicles would get camped.  I think the maps have enough launch points, and because of the balance, its challenging to keep the Warhawks in the air.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »

now that my settings have set,i am enjoying the game a bit more...i logged on and had ranked up,so i could cutomise my character and warhawk some more

i am glad that people on the ground dont get totally owned from the warhawks and there is a chance to fight back....i am still shit in a warhawk though,just get a missile lock on me and i use the scatter bomb to put it of my tail but then another comes,and then another,just havent got a chance......its only occasionally i go into a warhawk now,which is a shame because i do like flying

depward

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »

Love the game - the Zones mode is my favorite.  I like how you get bonus points for things you do, like protecting a base (finally!  Us people that protect the flag on CTF games get some added points for once!), killing X amount of enemies & X amount of land vehicles in a Warhawk, etc.

But that takes me to something that I'm really NOT liking - the lag or lack of stats being recorded.  The last two days I've played around 30 if not more games.  Yet, it says that the last time I've been online playing was Sep 1 and it hasn't recorded any of my games since.  You could give the argument of, "Well, it's only a game..." but with a game like Warhawk, it's (at least for me) pretty essential that my stats are accurately reflected.

So anyway, aside from being super pissed about some KILLER games not being recorded, I'm really enjoying Warhawk.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: