http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:43:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wowhawk thread - Operation: Broken Mirror now available!  (Read 15774 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

to be honest it has been a bit of a mess the release of this game

first they said its gonna be simultanious release for all versions in August....then here in the UK we found out just last week that our retail version wasnt coming out until the 14th sep...then our download gets delayed two days(which is bullshit...its just a cover from sony so they can say they have given us something decent on the thursday store and get out of giving us some cool demos)

and now only the download is out in America today........bad enough the game only has 5 maps,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »

should be getting my copy tomorrow afternoon in time for some playtime tomorrow evening.   looking forward to it.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 28, 2007, 05:00:43 PM

to be honest it has been a bit of a mess the release of this game

first they said its gonna be simultanious release for all versions in August....then here in the UK we found out just last week that our retail version wasnt coming out until the 14th sep...then our download gets delayed two days(which is bullshit...its just a cover from sony so they can say they have given us something decent on the thursday store and get out of giving us some cool demos)

and now only the download is out in America today........bad enough the game only has 5 maps,LOL

Yeah, I can agree with that. Why claim a "simultaneous release" if you can't follow through on that? There is no excuse for this not to be on store shelves today. the game has been gold for some time, and Monday wasn't a holiday. No excuses, this should have been a worldwide release, today. Oh well, I am still anxious to get it and I hope we start a regular game amongst the forum members here.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »

Do people know if the headset is worthwhile? Or should I just stick with another bluetooth set?

PSN ID: EduardoX
depward

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 28, 2007, 08:22:32 PM

Do people know if the headset is worthwhile? Or should I just stick with another bluetooth set?
I use the headset that's packed with the retail release and it's a quality bluetooth headset for a nice price.  Is it the best one out there?  Not at all... but it definitely works.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 28, 2007, 08:33:25 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 28, 2007, 08:22:32 PM

I use the headset that's packed with the retail release and it's a quality bluetooth headset for a nice price.  Is it the best one out there?  Not at all... but it definitely works.

The question is-does the PSN work? We have seen how on virtually every big release its not the BT headsets thats the problem, its the shitty voicechat that is only built into the games and just does not work well. Crossing fingers dep.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2007, 11:34:24 PM »

IGN review

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816472p1.html

they gave it 8.8

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 12:02:35 AM »

Any clue if voice chat on Warhawk will work like Resistance Fall of Man?  Apparently without the headset in Resistance, all voice chatter goes through your tv speakers, which sucks.  I really want to play these games in an arcade like manner and not have to listen to all the 10 year olds swear at each other.  Warhawk strikes me as more of a fun arcade game, then deep team based experience, and this is backed up by the 1up review.

I'd like to skip the headset, and buy Warhawk cheaper, and have the XBox Live Arcade like convenience of Warhawk loading from the hard drive.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
depward

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 12:16:56 AM »

Quote from: Scott on August 29, 2007, 12:02:35 AM

Any clue if voice chat on Warhawk will work like Resistance Fall of Man?  Apparently without the headset in Resistance, all voice chatter goes through your tv speakers, which sucks.  I really want to play these games in an arcade like manner and not have to listen to all the 10 year olds swear at each other.  Warhawk strikes me as more of a fun arcade game, then deep team based experience, and this is backed up by the 1up review.

I'd like to skip the headset, and buy Warhawk cheaper, and have the XBox Live Arcade like convenience of Warhawk loading from the hard drive.
I'll check it with & without headset to see if chatter can be heard through the speakers.

I know what you mean though... listening to a racist 12 year old does not constitute as being very fun   nod

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »

Man, the VC in resistance only barely ever worked. It was so bad, dep tml and I used to chat on Xbox live when we played resistance.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2007, 12:30:18 AM »

1up = absolutely no lag ever.

Fuck it, I'm buying it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2007, 12:35:09 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2007, 12:26:53 AM

Man, the VC in resistance only barely ever worked. It was so bad, dep tml and I used to chat on Xbox live when we played resistance.

i have gone right off resistance online,the maps are great but i have come to hate the game...i always end up going back to COD3 on 360

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »

I'm downloading it as (another) birthday treat.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2007, 02:45:02 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 29, 2007, 12:35:09 AM

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2007, 12:26:53 AM

i have gone right off resistance online,the maps are great but i have come to hate the game...i always end up going back to COD3 on 360
I hated resistance too. Tried to like it, but the only saving grace was getting to play with TML and Dep-which may force me to buy warhawk!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 03:06:10 AM »

You can definitely turn off the voice chat.  I'm already tired of listening to swearing.  Fun game.  I'm trying to find the Warhawk only air battles map or mode though.  Thought it was part  of the package, but I'm being extremely dense in missing it.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 03:49:32 AM »

I'm trying to find the Warhawk only air battles map or mode though.  Thought it was part  of the package, but I'm being extremely dense in missing it.
Air only battles are on the deathmatch and team deathmatch modes, and is called Dogfights.  You can't completely filter down to it.

---
depward

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 04:53:11 AM »

Yeah, played about an hour and a half (Scott - do I not have you on my buddy list?  What's your PSN name?) - love it.  Extremely fun game.  I did play in one dogfight match... unfortunately right when I began learning how to actually control the sucker.  At first, it's a little tough... but you start getting used to it.  Mash that right stick and you do some CRAZY awesome maneuvers.

Here's a tip I wish I knew right when I jumped in - with your warhawk missiles, hold down the L1 (your missile button) and you can essentially lock on three times to an enemy.  Helps immensely.

I was really enjoying the zone capture mode - it reminded me of the node mode from UT2k4.  I basically sat in a defender turrent and was taking down warhawks left and right   icon_biggrin

Make sure to play on ranked match servers (the actual playstation-hosted ones) - then it'll keep your stats and such.

Loving it!

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »

I played 3 matches, did pretty good the first, not so good the second, then topped the server on the third. This game is FUN! It's like a quick, easier arcade version of BF, but with planes you can use.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 05:30:48 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 29, 2007, 05:11:54 AM

I played 3 matches, did pretty good the first, not so good the second, then topped the server on the third. This game is FUN! It's like a quick, easier arcade version of BF, but with planes you can use.

when i first saw the trailer of on foot and in the skies.it reminded me of star wars battlefront

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 05:35:40 AM »

Quote from: depward on August 29, 2007, 04:53:11 AM

Yeah, played about an hour and a half (Scott - do I not have you on my buddy list?  What's your PSN name?) - love it.  Extremely fun game.  I did play in one dogfight match... unfortunately right when I began learning how to actually control the sucker.  At first, it's a little tough... but you start getting used to it.  Mash that right stick and you do some CRAZY awesome maneuvers.

Here's a tip I wish I knew right when I jumped in - with your warhawk missiles, hold down the L1 (your missile button) and you can essentially lock on three times to an enemy.  Helps immensely.

I was really enjoying the zone capture mode - it reminded me of the node mode from UT2k4.  I basically sat in a defender turrent and was taking down warhawks left and right   icon_biggrin

Make sure to play on ranked match servers (the actual playstation-hosted ones) - then it'll keep your stats and such.

Loving it!
Damn you dep, don't want to hear this!! Too much to buy!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2007, 06:03:31 AM »

OMG 94% biggrin  c'mon, now!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:32 AM »

It's fun, but make sure you know, a full game this isn't.

Well, let me rephrase that.  A complex game this isn't.

There's what, 3-4 infantry weapons total.  No reason to work together as there's nothing resembling a support class.  Grab a gun, shoot the enemy, repeat.

Warhawks get interesting, but they're difficult to learn.  Once you do they're pretty effective.

By the way, the controls, I hear, are even better with the motion sensors since it acts like a joystick, so you can roll your fighter without actually turning, passing through narrow parts and doing barrel rolls and whatnot.

You know what I would have liked to see?  Instead of bothering with group combat, keep it all air combat, but instead of just Warhawks dogfighting, have various classes of airships so that the game becomes a massive air war that everyone's involved with.  You could even have a carrier type vessel that spits out cannon fodder AI fighters that the player piloting the carrier can direct somewhat.

I mean, it's obvious the Warhawks are still the center of the game, and if they'd just kept the air war instead of trying to make it air and ground they would have had something more unique.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »

I shot down a Warhawk with a tank last night. That was fun.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 29, 2007, 05:11:54 AM

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs the game has.
I don't play stuff like this, but have been comparing it to Battlefield after watching vids.
I was doing an inventory last night with a number of other store managers.
I remarked I thought Warhawk could end up selling some systems and they thought I was nuts.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 29, 2007, 12:30:18 AM

1up = absolutely no lag ever.

Fuck it, I'm buying it.
Yeah, didn't encounter even one single hiccup of lag.  I'm really happy about that.

Last night I was driving a jeep to a turret.  I had to cross a bridge (which my team was already controlling).  As I approached the bridge, a Warhawk came down from the skies (I guess it did the powerslide, which is L2 + R2 I believe) and hovered right above the bridge and starting coming straight at me.  I didn't have anywhere to go... so I just gunned it.  Rammed the warhawk.  But two people jumped out right before impact and started capturing the bridge as my jeep collided and was sent flying into the water.  Yeah, really showcased my newbness there....

FYI - some stats are being recorded, some aren't.  The devs know this and said they will iron out all of the issues after the UK version is launched.  I know a couple of my games weren't recorded on my profile last night... hopefully they fix that for the weekend.

BTW love the sound effects.  The guns actually sound powerful!  The sniper rifle is a shartload of fun too..

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 04:41:08 PM »

I'M NOT LISTENING LALALALALALALAL.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2007, 04:41:08 PM

gellar

Me neither, DO NOT NEED. LEEEDEEEDEDEEDEE (oh, and btw, after the UK launch? Why? WTF. Fix broken shit now)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »

Played it for like, 10 minutes last night...

It was cool as hell.  Explosions everywhere, no warping/lag...

People on mics seemed to be having too - lots of "WHOAH!" and "AWESOME!"

I used the motion control to steer my warhawk and it was pretty rough lol biggrin

It worked well for the ground vehicle, though!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2007, 06:17:34 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2007, 06:56:25 PM »

willpower faltering....

it would be good to get a regular group going.  has that started yet?

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »

headed out to pick my copy up now.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »

http://www.us.playstation.com/Warhawk/warhawk_manual.pdf - instruction manual

Don't currently have a "group" set up.  We can set up a clan on Warhawk though - they have clan capabilities much like Resistance's online does.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

This is a maybe for me since all I have been using my PS3 for is backward compatibility.  I still have to get my friends list up and running.

PS3 network ID: USMC_Kato

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
depward

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »

From the 8.8 IGN review:

There are seven aerial weapons and nine ground weapons that compliment the three vehicles found in the game as well as the three turret types that players can get behind. Incognito went through a ton of time and dozens of adjustments from the beta and earlier play sessions to get the weaponry set up just right. I could literally go into pages upon pages of detail as to tactics and different ways that these weapons could be used, but perhaps one of the most striking elements about the weapon system within Warhawk is just how incredibly balanced the entire game system is.

I actually, in the small time I played last night, started thinking that as well - it's balanced!

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »

The IGN review describes a steep learning curve for the game, and I find that... misleading. There's a difference between lack of good documentation (for the online version) and a learning curve. Once you know which button to press to do what, it's all super easy.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2007, 05:58:55 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2007, 04:41:08 PM

gellar

Me neither, DO NOT NEED. LEEEDEEEDEDEEDEE (oh, and btw, after the UK launch? Why? WTF. Fix broken shit now)

proberbly so they can do a worldwide update all at once in stead of pissing about releaseing one region at a time

anyway,its nearly 11.30pm wednesday night...warhawk is due thursday sometime,so not that long to wait really

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2007, 01:13:58 AM »

The IGN review describes a steep learning curve for the game, and I find that... misleading. There's a difference between lack of good documentation (for the online version) and a learning curve. Once you know which button to press to do what, it's all super easy.
Apparently you can fly the Warhawk on pro mode a hell of a lot better then me ;-).  Its pretty hard so far to get the hang of it.  When to use the weapons, learning the maps, etc. all will take some time.

By the way, the controls, I hear, are even better with the motion sensors since it acts like a joystick, so you can roll your fighter without actually turning, passing through narrow parts and doing barrel rolls and whatnot.
I don't know yet, motion controls are really sensitive, and I'm not sure I like having to play with the control pad flat most of the time.  Part of playing on a console is being able to recline comfortably ;-).

LOL.  I wish I knew that last night too smile.

(Scott - do I not have you on my buddy list?  What's your PSN name?)
I'm 'kydan' on the PS3.  I'll add you to mine.  I'd be up for a clan or something, but then I'd have to grab a headset, but that'd be fine.

---
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:53 AM »

WTF, I added ScottW (that's your Xbox Live tag and apparently somebody has it for PSN, too)...hehe, oh well biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2007, 04:08:38 AM »

In the multiplayer section there's two posts for the PSN, the stickied one, which Purge hasn't updated in a long while, then the request thread which has all the latest names.  Please add all those.

I'm in as: Vertrucio
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »

Dudes,

Multiplayer GOTY so far, EASILY.

Dogfighting with 32 players is AMAZING to behold.

<3 <3 <3

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: