http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 03:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Worst Game You've Played this Gen?  (Read 4049 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2005, 01:11:02 PM »

As many of you will be leaving those of us who are more cautious (read: prudent slywink) in the dust with the release of 360 and the next gen, I figure now is a good time to list the WORST game you've played on this gen.

It could be because of glitches or gameplay or a game that just didn't click with you.

My Bottom Five:

5. Jade Empire - A game that could have been that shoulda never been.  Put Bioware on my watch and wait list and removed them from buy day one sight unseen list...<forgot about this one Scott>
4. ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever.  This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass.  The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame
3. Spiderman the Movie - Worst controls and camera ever
2. Sega GT - Blech.

1. Soul Caliber II- I will usually give any game a chance, but this one...Played for 20 minutes and traded.  Yuck.  The only game in the 40 to 50 I've played this gen (probably buy 10-12 more) that has rated an F from me.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:12:58 PM »

For me, probably Jade Empire was the worst.  I expected to love it, like other Bioware games, but it just fell flat for me with the dull story and characters, and poor fighting system.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »

Final Fantasy X-2 - a sequel to FF X instead of one of the earlier classic ones?  Focused on a trio of female characters who change dresses in battle?  Music videos with the main character singing?  Girl power?  What the hell happened to Final Fantasy?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 01:52:39 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Final Fantasy X-2 - a sequel to FF X instead of one of the earlier classic ones?  Focused on a trio of female characters who change dresses in battle?  Music videos with the main character singing?  Girl power?  What the hell happened to Final Fantasy?

SquareEnix went and overdosed on estrogen.

On the other downside, I'd have to throw in my vote for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within as one of the larger insults to the gaming community this generation. I've ranted at length elsewhere as to why Ubi needs to fire whomever thought it was a good idea to throw out everything that made the first game wonderful, and bring in gore, grit and Godsmack, while simultaneously draining all originality from the series in favor of grunge cliches.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 02:10:36 PM »

KOTOR II  - The huge abyss the story fell in to at the end of the game utterly destroyed any good feelings I had for the first half of the game.

Final Fantasy X - Felt like I was watching a movie, not playing a game, not being a part of the game world.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:41:49 PM »

1.  Easily FFX-2.  I loved FFX, FFX-2 was a cash-in of epic proportions.
2.  Drakengard - It was such a cool concept that was sucked down into the depths of mediocrity with it's insanely repetitive gameplay.  The story and cutscenes were great, but when you only have to push a single button to play a game, that's not my idea of fun.
3.  Star Ocean III - Again, this one had a ton of potential.  Unfortunately, we ended up with a juvenille story, needlessly complex battle system, and bar none the worst voice acting I have ever heard.  Blech.
4.  Unlimited Saga - Who thought these game mechanics could ever be a good idea?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »

Star Ocean III

Ugh...so true.  The intro part was Sooooooo long too.  Just mindless wandering around that stupid friggin hotel...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 02:53:18 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever.  This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass.  The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame

:shock:

You just ragged on one of my all-time favorite sports games.  :cry:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »

NCAA 2005 (Football) - Horrible. Just plain awful. The worst game I've ever played. Period!

Prince of Persia - So much potential. So screwed up.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 03:26:17 PM »

ATB wrote:
ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever. This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass. The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame

You just ragged on one of my all-time favorite sports games.  

NFL2K5 in the bottom 5 of this generation?  Um, I don't think so.  EA has yet to produce a football game even close to any of the 2k series.  That's why they bought the license.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 03:26:41 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever.  This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass.  The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame

:shock:

You just ragged on one of my all-time favorite sports games.  :cry:

And My all-time favorite game...  Period!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 03:27:19 PM »

Guys, I gotta say the topic title should be "biggest disappointment" rather than WORST game.

Jade Empire? JADE EMPIRE?? ever play Metal Dungeon? cripes man, at least Jade Empire makes SENSE. How about Nightcaster, or Legends, or any host of "C" grade games.

Seriously, rent Metal Dungeon. Send me the reciept and I'll pay. slywink

If you move your character backwards, the animation doesn't change from walking forwards... that's right folks, we're talking about Moonwalking. Ah-hee-hee-hee <crotch-grab>.

The opening movie looks like it was made in 20 minutes from a www.DigitalBlasphemy.com reject.

The gameplay was automatic so you didn't have to, you know, DO anything. Also, the characters were so generic you wouldn't care if they die.

There was an anime fighting game for Xbox that came out, Stake: Fortune Fighters, it is an atrocious* game. The menu music would get stuck 50% of the time entering the game, and repeat a 2sec clip over and over. IIRC, 2 of the buttons didn't even work as the manual described.

*def'n: atrocious  
  1) Extremely evil or cruel; monstrous: an atrocious crime.
  2) Exceptionally bad; abominable: atrocious decor; atrocious behavior.

Obviously I'm shooting for Column B here.

Last one:  BRUTE FORCE. The Halo killer. No, wait... it was an insomniac killer.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »

Also, the characters were so generic you wouldn't care if they die.

That's how I felt about Jade Empire.  I couldn't care about any of them, or their problems.  

Just because Jade Empire had high production values, doesn't mean it wasn't a bad game, at least to some.  I remember the impressions threads had people initially loving the game, then that love turned to distaste eventually, and surprise that Bioware laid an egg.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 05:01:18 PM »

Jade Empire was one of the worst of this generation. The fighting system was crap and the game was boring as hell.

Dragon Age better be damn good, Bioware...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 05:12:41 PM »

You know... I can't think of anything TRULY awful I played this gen.  I think my biggest disappointment was Oni, but it wasn't *that* bad.  Just not as good as I was hoping.

The ESPN/NFL2Kx series has disappointed me every year, but it hasn't been terrible.  I think NCAA College Football 2004 was also a disappointment, as was ESPN NHL2K4.  

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 05:41:27 PM »

I can only offer up disappointments:

Jade Empire
Halo 2

Neither were bad games but nor did they come close to their potential IMO.  Although Halo 2 is definitely the better of the two and one I still return to but I didn't think the single player came close to justifying the three years spent on it.  

There were surely far worse games released but:

a) I probably didn't play them due to horrible reviews
b) Were so utterly unmemorable I can't even think of them now.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »

KOTOR 2, without doubt. Followed by Wrestlemania XXI on XBox. I can usually get some enjoyment out of the worst wrestling games, but that was the pits.

On the PC Dungeon Lords.

Jade Empire was a disappointment, but I've been disappointed with every Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2. But BG2 was a true classic, and I doubt they will ever do anything to match it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »

Off the top of my head (will be thinking of some throughout the DAY):

Phantom Brave.  The introduction of a sphere system ruins any srpg and this one started the trend.

Fun topic, though, I gotta start thinking of some more...because there's more.  Ooooh yes, there's more.

TheMissingLink on PSN
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 06:41:49 PM »

My major dissapointment was GTA: San Andreas.  Vice City was one of my favorites of this generation, and this one just did nothing for me.  

Bad games though: that's a bit tougher.  Those I managed to forget pretty quickly.  I think the one that I traded back the fastest with least amount of time played was Castle Wolfenstein.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 09:28:20 PM »

I only have disappointments due to using CG/OO for references, but here goes:

ESPN NFL 2K5 - I've read the reasons, but I still don't get why people like this series.  It just doesn't feel or play like football to me.  It feels more like Blitz.  Oh well.  NCAA 2003/2005 are the best ones I've played.

Jade Empire - Wanted to like it, but it was too action oriented for my tastes.  Also, I read lots of books, but I don't want to read my games.

Halo 2 - and not just because they didn't finish it.  I didn't care for the 2 weapons at once that blocked 60% of the screen.  Nor did I really think the graphics were cracked up to the hype.  Completely average.

MGS2 - a boring watchfest.

FFX - a boring watchfest.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »

Fire Emblem.  I would have been more satisfied had I spent $8 on two tickets to an anime showing and played paper-rock-scissors with my little brother during every action scene.  Oh, and I would have saved $22 too.

KOTOR.  The horrific equivalent of an aborted Neverwinter Nights total conversion left to congeal and rot in the gutter, until Bioware came in and in Its Divine Wisdom, gave this horror the spark of life.  Well, I take that back.  The game might have actually been original if Bioware had just polished it.  But no, they actually developed it all.  Blech.  This wet piece of crap was the earliest indication of Bioware's creative tires desperately spinning in the mud.  Sprinkle in such Bioware hits as...

-Largely obnoxious character cast who all refuse to shut the fuck up.
-Tilt-O-Whirl retarded concepts of good and evil.
-Monty Haul design, from the fact that the coolest looking method of combat is always the most effective, to the ridiculously imbalanced force powers, to the ludicrously powerful items.
-Predictable, Bioware-Certified(TM) ending and 'zomg twist.'

...then add the Star Wars setting to hide the fact the game is basically Baldur's Gate 2 in space, (and to make the Star Wars fans pop a big one), and TADA!  GEE OH TEE WHY, DEWDZ!!!!1

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »

FFX-2 wins this one going away.  After five minutes of this game, I wanted to go outside and start killing neighborhood pets in retaliation.  

I can end this entire dicussion in one line:  The opening of the game is a j-pop concert that you are a part of.

(Good god, I hope I never have to write those words again.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 11:10:22 PM »

I dont play crappy games biggrin

Though I have to learn towards FFX-2, I thought it kind of put Square back on the "we can do anything with our games" map.

I'm pretty sure thats why they made that game so dumb anyways.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 01:24:18 AM »

Halo 2
FFX (and obviously X-2)
MGS 2
PoP: WW
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 01:33:39 AM »

Totally forgot how awful Halo 2 was, and the reason behind that is I've wiped it from memory. Useless game.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 02:26:10 AM »

MGS 2. For me maybe the most overrated game I have ever played. No idea what people like about this game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 03:03:48 AM »

Anyone else find a lot of their favorite games on these lists?  Final Fantasy X (and somewhat X-2), Jade Empire, KoTOR 1 and 2, and Star Ocean 3 (which I think has some of the BEST voice acting I've ever heard) are on my list of the best games of this generation.  Then again, I've only ever played maybe one or two RPGs that I really didn't like, so perhaps I'm not the harshest judge in the world slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 03:04:58 AM »

Yes. I seriously think half the people in this thread are just out of their everloving minds. I have no clue what they are smoking with some of these games  :wink:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2005, 04:22:07 AM »

Ribbit King and ChoroQ.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005, 04:27:40 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
...Star Ocean 3 (which I think has some of the BEST voice acting I've ever heard)...

No way.  /em sarcasm right?!  RIGHT?!   biggrin   Nono, personally, I didn't like it that much, but I've heard much worse!

Worst game this gen, geesh, lemme see . . . I think I may have to throw in Drakengard too.  But I did play about 8 hours or so of it, so it can't be the WORST.

Unlimited SaGa maybe?  But I did play several hours of that and it at least had a pretty neat art design to it.

Last year's EA NHL maybe?  It was seriously so horrendously bad.

I think this is a hard decision for me because I seem to like something in every game I purchase.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2005, 04:31:30 AM »

Halo 2: Let's take a couple of years to basically cut and paste a bunch of levels and then cut off when it starts getting interesting.

Any GTA game

Any fighting game outside the Dead or Alive series

DoA: Extreme Volleyball: Let's do volleyball with the chicks from the game.  Oh yeah, and let's make it a relationship simulator!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2005, 04:48:05 AM »

Metal Gear Solid 2 pissed me off too. Glad I only rented it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
DoA: Extreme Volleyball: Let's do volleyball with the chicks from the game.  Oh yeah, and let's make it a relationship simulator!

GASP! But didn't you see the bouncing boobies?! Surely that's worth SOMETHING.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2005, 10:48:10 PM »

4. ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever.  This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass.  The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame

Are you sure you are talking about 2K5?  Because most people complain that the recievers catch the ball too well in 2K5.   2K3 was the one where they dropped all the passes.  

I honestly cannot see how anyone can put this game in the bottom 5.  To each his own I guess.  But to me it is by far the best $20 I have ever spent on a videogame in my life.   I agree the crib was lame, and tastes do very.  But wow !!!

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2005, 10:51:24 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
I think NCAA College Football 2004 was also a disappointment, as was ESPN NHL2K4.  
gellar

Wow.  I thought NCAA 2004 was the best version they ever made.   I would say NCAA 2005 for the Xbox was the most disapointing game for me of this generation.  The PS2 version was OK but the Xbox version was aweful.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 10:58:33 PM »

1. NCAA 2005 Xbox version...... (Slowdown, way too many dropped passes, terrible control)

2. MGS 2 Sons of Liberty....... (Long convoluted cutscenes, You have 3 hours to save the world, but lets have a 30 minute conversion on high-school level philosophy)

3. Mechassault 2.......(The multiplayer in the 1st one was amazing.  They ruined it soooooooo badly in the sequel it blows my mind)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 12:52:19 AM »

Quote from: "gilgamex"
Quote from: "CeeKay"

GASP! But didn't you see the bouncing boobies?! Surely that's worth SOMETHING.

2 bouncing boobies in hand a good game does not make.  2 in hand on Friday night however.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 02:43:11 PM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
ATB wrote:
ESPN NFL 2005 - NCAA 2003 is still the best footbal game ever. This game has sees the receivers drop nearly every pass. The pricepoint got me on this one... Oh and the Crib? Lame

NFL2K5 in the bottom 5 of this generation?  Um, I don't think so.  EA has yet to produce a football game even close to any of the 2k series.  That's why they bought the license.

Incorrect.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »

Quote from: "jblank"
Quote from: "Rowdy"
ATB wrote:

Incorrect.

We have like 8 other threads for football game arguments smile

As for me-worst game this generation:

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
NCAA 2005 Football
FFX-2
more to come!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: