http://gamingtrend.com
February 13, 2016, 09:15:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witness  (Read 1518 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »

a mysterious game from PAX with an interesting way to show it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »

Dev update on PS BLOG.  I am really looking forward to this.  No release date, but I'm guessing this fall/winter?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/14/the-witness-on-ps4-new-development-details/
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »

This is one of my most anticipated PS4 games, and has been since it was revealed. I'm glad to see that it appears to be a 1080p 60fps game. It's the kind of game I would have loved to play in VR, but we can't have everything at this early stage. Tongue
lextyler
Gaming Trend Staff
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:42 AM »

This is going to end my world and revolutionize my brainspace.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »

Very interested.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »

Inspired by Myst? Yes, please.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »

This game is still very high on my hype list, and it now seems like it is deserved. It's getting some incredible review scores, including 10/10 from IGN, VideoGamer, and Destructoid. Since it's a niche indie title, some scores are bound to draw down the average significantly, and so far three reviews are doing exactly that, written by people who don't like puzzles. Still, it's very rare to see a game get scores as high as this one. Most reviewers seem to absolutely love it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »

Giant Bomb quick look - 30 minutes but they do a more through look.

t The Witness Review by Polygon

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:14:01 PM by farley2k » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:42 AM »

Geez, this game has been around since 2010?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »

Gametrailers review

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »

Is anyone else getting annoyed with all the coverage of this game choosing NOT to show anything out of fear of “spoilers”?  It’s mostly, this game does really cool stuff but we’re not going to show it because we don’t want to spoil it!  The little I see makes me think it’s The Talos Principal with all the compelling bits removed.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

I'm somewhat intrigued by the concept of this game, but after looking into it further, I think I'll pass for now.  After reading stuff like this (from the Kotaku review) I'm pretty sure this game would just annoy me:

The Witness’s early puzzles are barely tougher than connect-the-dots. They soon evolve into hour-long stumpers marked with esoteric symbols, governed by hidden rules that must be discovered by solving other puzzles. Sometimes you’ll solve a puzzle and have a eureka moment about a totally different puzzle, halfway across the island. The island is packed with purpose and filled with teases: desert ruins that appear to have broken puzzle panels on them, seemingly unreachable rooftops that have puzzles that surely you’re supposed to be able to access, puzzles on beaches and in jungles, stuff in the town that seems to have to do with stuff in the forest or the temple. What’s the point of that windmill? Of that wrecked ship? Why was there a way-too-easy puzzle all by itself on that log? (I’m dying to tell you the answer to that last one, but I won’t!)

There's few gaming things I like less than spending time trying to figure out a puzzle, only to find out after Googling (or 30 minutes of trial and error) that I need to find some other doodad/flip some other switch/read some other book before it's solvable.  While it sounds like this game might be the exception, I've yet to see a game that does a good job of striking that balance

"Sans, stop plaguing my life with incidental music!" - The Great Papyrus, Undertale
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 26, 2016, 03:59:45 PM

Is anyone else getting annoyed with all the coverage of this game choosing NOT to show anything out of fear of “spoilers”?  It’s mostly, this game does really cool stuff but we’re not going to show it because we don’t want to spoil it!  The little I see makes me think it’s The Talos Principal with all the compelling bits removed.

It's a game that is built entirely on dynamic discovery. Figuring out things is the entire point of the game, which includes even figuring out certain game mechanics. Showing off these things would ruin an important aspect of a game. This isn't just "we're trying to be keep the story secret". It's about maintaining the core gameplay about discovery and exploration and learning what you can do and how to do it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 26, 2016, 04:27:45 PM

There's few gaming things I like less than spending time trying to figure out a puzzle, only to find out after Googling (or 30 minutes of trial and error) that I need to find some other doodad/flip some other switch/read some other book before it's solvable.  While it sounds like this game might be the exception, I've yet to see a game that does a good job of striking that balance

It's my understanding that the game doesn't do this. From what I've seen and read, you can quickly tell if a puzzle is beyond what you're capable of, and whatever you need to progress is in terms of knowledge, not pickups or switches.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 26, 2016, 04:28:01 PM

Figuring out things is the entire point of the game, which includes even figuring out certain game mechanics. Showing off these things would ruin an important aspect of a game. This isn't just "we're trying to be keep the story secret". It's about maintaining the core gameplay about discovery and exploration and learning what you can do and how to do it.
In your opinion.  icon_razz  If it is not possible to gauge the types of interactions that are possible within the game it’s not possible to tell if the game offers anything worth looking into.  The one interesting thing that was “spoiled” in the Giant Bomb video was kind of neat but it’s been done before.  I need evidence that there is something more to the game than just somewhat clever puzzles.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »

Holy crap, I saw this thread was started by CeeKay and thought he was back.  And then I saw it was started in 2010.   saywhat

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »

Just finished a bunch of puzzles, found the outline of what could be a major hidden game mechanic, and earned my first trophy for the game. I've been grinning like a madman when I've figured out the trick to many of the puzzles so far. The game is very clever.

Quote from: Lordnine on January 26, 2016, 05:02:01 PM

Quote from: TiLT on January 26, 2016, 04:28:01 PM

Figuring out things is the entire point of the game, which includes even figuring out certain game mechanics. Showing off these things would ruin an important aspect of a game. This isn't just "we're trying to be keep the story secret". It's about maintaining the core gameplay about discovery and exploration and learning what you can do and how to do it.
In your opinion.  icon_razz  If it is not possible to gauge the types of interactions that are possible within the game it’s not possible to tell if the game offers anything worth looking into.  The one interesting thing that was “spoiled” in the Giant Bomb video was kind of neat but it’s been done before.  I need evidence that there is something more to the game than just somewhat clever puzzles.

It's a puzzle game. If that doesn't appeal to you on its own, it's honestly not a game for you. The rest of the stuff, mysterious or not, is irrelevant if puzzles alone don't attract your attention.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »

Will probably have to get this. Tallos Principle was probably my game of the year last year. This one looks to be of a similar vein.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »

I want this but the cost of entry is too high for me right now, and I've still got to finish The Talos Principle. Will definitely grab it at some point though.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 26, 2016, 07:27:28 PM

It's a puzzle game. If that doesn't appeal to you on its own, it's honestly not a game for you. The rest of the stuff, mysterious or not, is irrelevant if puzzles alone don't attract your attention.
I love puzzle games where the puzzles have purpose within the story constructs of the world.  The Talos Principle was my favorite game of last year.  Games like that, Portal or even The Swapper have pushed “puzzle” games beyond simply being puzzles for the sake of puzzles.  I hope The Witness is such a game but my point was that the footage released so far makes it impossible to tell.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »

Considering the strong narrative of Braid, I have faith this game will share that while also succeeding at refreshing a game type with innovative ideas.  Perhaps I hold Braid in too high of regards though.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »

Let's just put it like this: Any attempt to put this game into a clearly defined genre box except "puzzle game" is going to fail miserably. Not everything fits into our preconceived notions of what certain games should be like. The Witness deliberately doesn't tell you up front what it's all about, and expects you to figure it out on your own. The game expects you to be intelligent.

If there's any storytelling in this game, it's probably closer to the Dark Souls method of doing it. So far, about 3 hours in, I haven't seen a sliver of traditional storytelling. Not even a single word of dialogue, despite there being a subtitle option. This is a puzzle game. You'll be doing puzzles over and over and over again while exploring and seeing the sights. If this concept isn't good enough for you and you need to know more, then seriously, this game just isn't for you. Move on and play something else.

If you expect anything other than drawing lines on small grids, you're just building yourself up for disappointment. Let the game surprise you.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »

And... 'stuck' in the first area with seven switches completed but no idea how to even locate the eight which I need to unlock the bottom panel on the gate. Gentle hint, kind folks?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 27, 2016, 01:54:54 PM

And... 'stuck' in the first area with seven switches completed but no idea how to even locate the eight which I need to unlock the bottom panel on the gate. Gentle hint, kind folks?

Follow the wires.  But I can't imagine you didn't do that.  Sometimes there are more than one wire connected to a box, so make sure the right one is glowing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

Oh boy, you're in for a great time with this game considering the part you're stuck at is the tutorial. slywink
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 27, 2016, 02:39:56 PM

Oh boy, you're in for a great time with this game considering the part you're stuck at is the tutorial. slywink

Yah, yah, rub it in Puzzle Master. Thanks for nothing. finger

It was late and I was dead tired so I'm going to blame it on that. Next time I'll bring a fresh brain... well, fresher anywho.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 27, 2016, 02:54:42 PM

Quote from: TiLT on January 27, 2016, 02:39:56 PM

Yah, yah, rub it in Puzzle Master. Thanks for nothing. finger

It was late and I was dead tired so I'm going to blame it on that. Next time I'll bring a fresh brain... well, fresher anywho.  icon_wink

One thing that helps with this game is to think outside the box, sometimes literally. You were certain that you just couldn't find a missing puzzle, but simply couldn't track it down. In those cases, it's a good idea to take a step back and reconsider your conclusions, because you might have made an assumption that the game is now telling you isn't true. In this case you're looking for something that doesn't exist.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »

If you like Let's Play videos a guy named Keith Ballard is playing the game.  I have watched his playthroughs of Dark Souls, and Divinity: Original Sin and he is good.

Nice video if you are thinking about buying it.

The Witness - Before You Buy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:37:38 PM by farley2k » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »

Ah, the delightful feeling of getting completely stumped on a series of puzzles yesterday, having to put the game down for the night, then solving the puzzles immediately upon returning from work today. smile This game is very, very clever.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

I just learned that the game doesn't have music? Has that affected anyone's enjoyment of it? The developers and media have been comparing it to Myst, which I was excited for, but a huge part of the Myst experience was the soundtrack. Not that The Witness needs to be like Myst for me to enjoy it, but they shouldn't be compared to each other, despite the similarities of being on an island and solving puzzles.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 27, 2016, 04:55:02 PM

I just learned that the game doesn't have music? Has that affected anyone's enjoyment of it? The developers and media have been comparing it to Myst, which I was excited for, but a huge part of the Myst experience was the soundtrack. Not that The Witness needs to be like Myst for me to enjoy it, but they shouldn't be compared to each other, despite the similarities of being on an island and solving puzzles.

No.

Honestly, I think music would be distracting.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:41 PM »

I've seen more than a few posts like this one below on various forums, which has helped me decide to take a wait-and-see approach to the game, before I drop my money on it.

From jsnall over at QTT

"I'm about 5 hours and 166 solved puzzles in, with mixed feelings. Despite being pretty, the game is just dry as dust. No music, no story or narrative, nothing but walking around and solving puzzles. Maybe 90% of the puzzles I've seen have been of the "just stare at a 2d maze and think / think hard / think really hard" variety, with just 10% with some kind of external factor. The puzzles are fine, but the star of the show is indeed the process of inductively learning what the rules are (I've several times had to revise my understanding of symbols I thought I'd already mastered)."

The part where he speaks of no music, no story, no narrative, gives me pause. Once a few people complete their first run of the game, I'll make a more informed decision. But I'm still concerned about The Witness maintaining my interest if the environments are antiseptic and the story is nonexistent.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 27, 2016, 07:27:23 PM

Quote from: Ridah on January 27, 2016, 04:55:02 PM

No.

Honestly, I think music would be distracting.

I'm a bit on the opposite side for this.

I want the music soundtrack. Talos Principle had a fantastic background soundtrack that helped when working out the puzzles. Here you get nothing. When you finish a series of puzzles that are difficult there's no audio reward. And while just having environmental sounds while walking around is fine there's just not much too them. It's a pretty lonely experience.

So while I was initially pumped to play after 2hrs I'm not digging it so much. The island looks great, I like the graphic style, but there's little to grab on to story wise. No hints of what was going on the island or who was there previously or why you are there in the first place. Figured after 2 hours there would be some little bread crumb to get you intrigued  - but nada.

Which leaves basically the line puzzles. Which are kinda boring. Even on the difficult ones where you have to look outside of the box to solve I don't feel the reward for solving those like Talos Principle provided when you had to solve those by thinking outside of the box.

I hope there will be a point where I come across a few puzzles that will blow my mind but right now solving the puzzles feels more like work than fun. I will say that it is somewhat more fun working through the puzzles with the wife but still I'm unfortunately underwhelmed right now. I'll keep with it though.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »

I've come far enough to run into some really insidious puzzles, to the point where I just stared at the screen for half an hour or so trying to learn a new concept I needed. It was very rewarding though.

The guy above who said that there is no story or narrative has no idea what he's talking about. That's one of the consequences of how this game is designed. You can play it for hours and hours and miss out on major stuff that you could have learned about at the very beginning if you knew what to look for. I discovered my first bit of actual narrative and voiceover today, and it made me realize that I've probably walked straight past a bunch of it earlier. The only time The Witness tells you anything about how to play it is during the very first puzzle when a button prompt appears so that you'll know what the interact button is. The rest of the time it expects you to figure it out on your own, and it expects you to understand that this is a major part of the experience.

There is no music, but that is definitely done on purpose. I learned of a very specific reason why this is done today, but to say what it is would be to spoil it. A non-spoilery explanation is that they're trying to reinforce the isolation and the contemplative nature of the game. I'm kind of glad. Listening to the same music over and over again while solving a lengthy puzzle would get distracting and annoying, and yes, it would also get in the way.

But yeah, you must enjoy doing the puzzles. Those of you looking for some deeper meaning to encourage yourselves to play the game should buy something else to play instead. We've been drowning in quality games this last year, so it's not like there's a lack of alternatives. You've got around 700 puzzles to solve in The Witness, and almost all of the time the only reward you get is a bit of knowledge about the concepts behind it, and the satisfaction of solving the puzzle itself. If that isn't good enough for you, then don't bother playing The Witness. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this, and I don't know how many times I have to repeat it before people believe me. This is a game about drawing lines on small screens. Don't expect anything else.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »

Save for later

The Witness - All Puzzle Solutions

This guide will give you the solutions to all of the puzzles in The Witness. Since it would be rather hard to explain every line you might need to draw, we’ll be including a lot of images to guide you along. We also strongly suggest that you at least attempt these puzzles on your own, keeping our guide handy for when you simply cannot figure something out.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 27, 2016, 07:43:41 PM

The part where he speaks of no music, no story, no narrative, gives me pause. Once a few people complete their first run of the game, I'll make a more informed decision. But I'm still concerned about The Witness maintaining my interest if the environments are antiseptic and the story is nonexistent.
I was curious about that myself.  I found the “True/Secret” Ending on YouTube.  It is so pretentious that I almost love it just because of how absurd it is.  
SeaMoosi
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

I am the stone that the builder refused

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:31 PM »

I'm about four lasers in, and yeah, there's definitely a concept of narrative and progression, it just isn't laid out for you to find.

A lot of it is that you have to be willing to self-insert a bit. You're playing as a person who wakes up on this island, but that's also a self-insert for the player.

And the no-music thing is... well.... to avoid spoiling things, there's a few good reasons why there's no music in the game.

That's kind of the crazy thing about The Witness for me so far - everything on the island is so purposeful. It feels like a complete box of puzzles and ideas, wrapped up perfectly, and you're trying to unravel it back down to the core. I found something by accident yesterday, and it's completely changed how I view the world and the game. Chances are, I'm close to stumbling onto something new that will continue to do the same, and that's not even close to some of the other whispers I've heard about hidden things in here.

So I guess if you're not excited about solving puzzles, then that would be a major turn-off. I will say that it never feels like a simple line maze with more complications. For many puzzles, including the one I'm on, the line maze is simply a format - the actual challenge is understanding what other factors are defining it and distorting it.

Ugh. This game is great. I didn't enjoy Myst at all, but The Witness manages to take the same general conceit of "puzzle island" and do something really great with it.

Gaming Trend Lead Editor
Want to play a game? Send a request!
Steam/PSN/XBL/LoL/everything: SeaMoosi
Tweet @seamoosi
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 03:07:27 AM »

I'm out until it's cheaper at this point.  I do want to thank you, Tilt for being honest about the game as far as what to look for.  I think the "it's a huge surprise' hype would have convinced me to buy it soon.  Instead I will wait and pay less to solve creative puzzles in a creative environment.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 04:09:01 AM »

Ok. I came across two logs that played some audio. But right now it's just rambling nonsense.

Puzzles are starting to get nasty where if you don't get it in one you have to go back and re-do the previous puzzle. I'm using my cell phone to take pictures of the puzzles I've solved to combat this when it occurs.

Finished up the stones in the water puzzles and have moved on to the apples in the tree puzzles - I like these better as you have to move around to get the right perspective before you can solve the puzzle.

I so want to like this game so holding out its a pretty slow burn.
Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:34 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 28, 2016, 04:09:01 AM

Ok. I came across two logs that played some audio. But right now it's just rambling nonsense.

Puzzles are starting to get nasty where if you don't get it in one you have to go back and re-do the previous puzzle. I'm using my cell phone to take pictures of the puzzles I've solved to combat this when it occurs.

Finished up the stones in the water puzzles and have moved on to the apples in the tree puzzles - I like these better as you have to move around to get the right perspective before you can solve the puzzle.

I so want to like this game so holding out its a pretty slow burn.

I suspect that the logs are going to continue to be pretentious.  Some will love them, of course, and I can appreciate the message, but they are way too long and "on point" so far.

If you're using the PS4, you can press (what used to be) the Select button and take a screenshot of the puzzle, then load it in the PS viewer (whatever it's called).  From there, it's a simple double click on the PS button to swap you back and forth between picture and game.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: