http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:37:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher....stories, questions, fun  (Read 2167 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »

These are both at GoGamer. I dont really see a difference. Well besides $10. Is it a book in one?. If so why is it the cheaper one?

http://www.gogamer.com/The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition--I--for-PC-Front-Page_stcVVproductId75393579VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

http://www.gogamer.com/The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition-for-PC-Front-Page_stcVVproductId48309624VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:46:38 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »

The book is so bad, they pay YOU $10 to buy the version with it.
j/k - from what I hear it's actually half decent.  Anyway, one is the North American version while the other is International.  Due to licensing costs and what not, International versions are often more expensive in my experience.

All that aside, if you don't want the extras in the box then you can always get the cheaper base version and upgrade the game for free to the Enhanced & Director's Cut with the patches.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »

If the book is The Last Wish, personally I thought it was pretty awful, which disappointed me since I really like The Witcher.  However, that description says it's a 50-page book so I doubt that's what it is.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:53 PM »

As noted, the only real difference is one is the "Import" version and one isn't. The "book" is actually an excerpt from The Last Wish but it is a little nicer in that it has quite a number of full color illustrations in it.

And you can get the non-enhanced version and upgrade to the enhanced version for free, you just have to download a crapload of stuff and burn your own media (or print out the map) if you want it that way.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:05:28 AM »

Is the cheaper red cover one the import?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »

Nope. The other one, the one with the (I) in the name is the import, that's how GoGamer differentiates them.

-craig

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »

Didn't the NA version of this game have the nudity censored out, or was that removed for all enhanced editions?
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

The censoring is removed if you download the patch for the Director's Cut.

In short, for game purposes it now essentially makes no difference what version you purchase.  You have a free patch to update the game to the Enhanced Edition, which also takes out the disc check, and you also now have a free patch to the Director's Cut which gives the NA version the same content as the International version.

It should be noted that these are different patches, as some people may or may not care about the nudity.  Why there wouldn't just be one patch with an option button is beyond me.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »

Picked up the EE black box version today. Looking forward to going back and playing it through.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »

Anyone had problems with playing the behind the scenes video disk? It lets me choose my flag..i have to choose Britain...then it sounds like the disk if stuttering accessing or something...noisy. The sound is all choppy and so it the title screen video. Its so bad I cant do anything.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »

I don't think I ever... hang on a sec... no, plays fine, even at full screen. Make sure it's clean and all that rot, perhaps try getting out of full screen mode or copying it down to your hard-drive and running it from there?

-craig

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

Ok tried copying it. Got the same sounds from the drive and after 10 min it had 1 little blue box of the bar filled it.

Nothing looks wrong with the disk.

VLS wont do anything with it. WMP will try to play it but  its as I posted.

EDIT: Ok its working. I saw nothing on the disk but I gave it a good rubbing anyways. Now its ok. I downloaded divx and it wouldn't play it either. But WMP does now. Strange.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:16:55 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »

I now own the EE version and have it patched to the latest..1.5 5 something. Anyways its still censored. Im getting the clothed sex cards. im wondering what else Im missing now. graphics? the new animations or speech? How do I fix this?

EDIT: Ok I've found 2 other patches...a Blood patch and a Director's cut patch. Will one of these help? Im grabbing both to be sure.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:31:51 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 03:11:54 AM »

That seemed to do it.

Now Im stuck on the beast fight. Last time it took me only 2 tries because I used the hide behind the shed and hit it where it cant hit you tactic. doesn't work now. Or Im having bad luck. I get back there but the beast wont come close enough. If I go out I can hit him a bit then he stuns me and thats all she wrote. Did it about 10 times. Got tired and quit. Not sure what to do. I have blizzard, tawny owl, and swallow potions. Not sure what else to do.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 17, 2009, 03:11:54 AM

Now Im stuck on the beast fight. Last time it took me only 2 tries because I used the hide behind the shed and hit it where it cant hit you tactic. doesn't work now. Or Im having bad luck. I get back there but the beast wont come close enough. If I go out I can hit him a bit then he stuns me and thats all she wrote. Did it about 10 times. Got tired and quit. Not sure what to do. I have blizzard, tawny owl, and swallow potions. Not sure what else to do.

If you use the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Force Push power to knock the Beast down, you can often slay it in a single coup de grace.  It only has a percentage chance to fall prone when you Push it, so it might take a couple tries.

-Autistic Angel
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 03:53:23 AM »

Ah ok . Thought it wasn't possible because I've tried it a few times. Guess I have to get a rare lucky shot. I also found on the web to use Specter Oil on my blade. I had to go back before all the Salamandra stuff to an old save to find Abagail and buy some. So now I should be ready. Ill try tomorrow. Sleepy.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »

Silly me. I had been playing for the last 2 days in the swamp and could not understand why I could not make any potions. I had tons of regents smile Found out today I had no potions bases like wine and such. DOH!.

And I finally got to pork the town gossip! Weee. On that note just how do I view my conquest sex cards in game? I know I can view them all online or in my folders but surely I have some way to view them in game. Why else would you get them?

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 04:06:18 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 22, 2009, 11:48:40 PM

Silly me. I had been playing for the last 2 days in the swamp and could not understand why I could not make any potions. I had tons of regents smile Found out today I had no potions bases like wine and such. DOH!.

And I finally got to pork the town gossip! Weee. On that note just how do I view my conquest sex cards in game? I know I can view them all online or in my folders but surely I have some way to view them in game. Why else would you get them?

Go to the characters list in the journal. Click on the heart next to the name of the character you boinked to see their card.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 04:34:22 AM »

Thank you.

Looks like one of my quests is borked. Itys the one from the gardener who wants 3 Echinop or some such root. Seems theres no book on it and the only way to get a journal entry on them is from some hungry old woman in chapter one if you feed her. I guess I didn't run into her so now theres no way for me to get them. guess they didn't think that one through.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 23, 2009, 04:34:22 AM

Thank you.

Looks like one of my quests is borked. Itys the one from the gardener who wants 3 Echinop or some such root. Seems theres no book on it and the only way to get a journal entry on them is from some hungry old woman in chapter one if you feed her. I guess I didn't run into her so now theres no way for me to get them. guess they didn't think that one through.

You can find a book about the Echinops from a bookseller near Shani's house.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

CRASH! Trying not to give much away im in book 3 where Salamandra has a portal and theres a big fight. At a certain part of that fight..like the 2nd group...it crashes..every time. Im about to search the net now for a reason. But just in case others have had this happen, how did you cure it? I have'nt had a crash like this before. I've repeated it 5 times now.

Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 12:46:16 AM »

To stop the crash, just turn your sound off for that part and when you are done you can turn the sound back on...

Briko
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 12:57:43 AM »

Didn't help. I tried removing a ton of saves and defragging.

Then your suggestion got me thinking about the settings so i turned it all down to low and tried again. It worked. Got me past that part. i then turned it all back to high. im not sure if it was the low settings, defragging, or removing a ton of older saves. But Im in the next chapter now smile Thnx!

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »

now 50% off

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »

I wish I could play this, but it refuses to run in Win7 for me.

Thank goodness Dragon Age is next week.

"Goonies never say die"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »

Damn nice price. But i got a box of goodies smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:57 PM »

THIS VIDEO shows how if you do combos well that Geralt will do some cool finishing moves. Ive never seen even one of these and Im in chapter 4 now. The only ones I see are if I use magic to blow someone down then it will do a finishing move. But it just doing one during combat when an enemy still has half his health has never happened. I click each time the flaming sword cursor appears and continue the combo but the enemy just runs out of health and dies....no super cool death move there.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 03:16:18 AM »

Uh oh..I have a big question about ravens armor....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Do I need to get Ravens armor BEFORE fighting the Grand Master? If so how? I went to the swamp cemetary and the old manor. Thats where I got all the parts to the armor. But when I come back to town its all a big fight to get to the GM. I did not see the Order Armorer I need to make me the armor. Is the GM the final battle? Or do I get the armor made after him? I dont understand.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 27, 2009, 05:15:50 PM

I wish I could play this, but it refuses to run in Win7 for me.

Gah!  What?  I have yet to finish The Witcher but I installed W7 last week. frown

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

Grab a nocd patch.  It's legal since you own the game (I would imagine) and it seems to clear up the problem if the support forums are to be believed.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »

The 1.5 patch removed all that, the copy protection and the need to keep the cd in the drive.

-craig

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »

Found my own answer. Loaded an old save to where I just saved you know who at the cemetary. I went back to town and got the armor. For some reason I dont recall the game telliing me this. The whole time I've played the game it has always said what I needed to do. It should have told me "I have all the armor pieces. I should now return to the armorer and have my suit made". But nope. I just went on to the next area.

Oh well I dont think I want to replay all that Old Manor stuff just to keep the armor. Ive not had any problem killing everything with just my store bought suit of leather. Ill just kill the last guy with it on Tongue

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »

I just finished downloading all the files needed to make my patched EE version of the game uncensored.  It just adds in more blood and the uncensored cards/movies. close to another 300MB worth of files.  

I have it running on W7, not entirely sure how I did it but I do know in order to install it I "HAD" to install all the other crap like adobe even though it offered me the option to not install it, the game would fail to finish installing if I didn't.  I may also have run the setup file in one of the compatibility modes as well.

It might have been Rise of Flight that had all the weird install problems, so forget that part, also it looks like I didn't have to download files from fans to mod the game as the directors patch released in August of this year was supposed to do that anyway.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:46:45 AM by Rich » Logged

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »

Enjoy!  The Witcher is one of the finest CRPG's to ever grace a computer screen.   icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2009, 10:34:10 PM

Enjoy!  The Witcher is one of the finest CRPG's to ever grace a computer screen.   icon_biggrin

+5. im so sad Im at the end. the last chapter I started slowing down on purpose. Its taken me 5 days to just do this epi. Im sad. But happy too. One of the best RPGs ever made. Im sad they got bought out by a nearly defunct company too. I hope we get a Witcher 2 somehow.

At least I have Dragon Age to look forward to. The only bad thing I could say about The Witcher is there no true evil path.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »

Ok just finished. One of the best games I've ever played. Truth. Also the very very end movie was a surprise and I loved it.

Plz plz plz plz plz make a pt 2 smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 12:36:27 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 01, 2009, 12:35:06 AM

Ok just finished. One of the best games I've ever played. Truth. Also the very very end movie was a surprise and I loved it.

Plz plz plz plz plz make a pt 2 smile

Dont worry, they are making it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciyoGmnGyo

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »

Hmmmm...from that video it seems they've ditched the NeverWinter Night engine and gone with an inhouse engine.  Looks good, I just hope they can get it released. 

p.s. hearing the placeholder voice for Garalt is hilarious.  that voice does not match the character.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »

heh yeah - its an...interesting voice :-)

But hot damn the combat looks sweet - I really hope this hits consoles as well, since with that kind of graphics, I doubt my computer could keep up

Btw, re engine, didnt they say in the video it was the unreal engine?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 31, 2009, 11:08:09 PM

The only bad thing I could say about The Witcher is there no true evil path.

Nor is there a good path, or even a path that lets you remain neutral with a good conscience. Bad stuff is going to happen no matter what you do. Your decisions are more about whether or not you should get involved in all the misery. There are no simple solutions or black and white morality choices in The Witcher, which is one of the things that makes it so good.

I'm glad there's no Bioware Bad Person (tm) dialogue in the game. Their idea of evil is usually something like: "Oh sure, I'll go retrieve your family heirloom... If you pay me plenty of gold. And hah, I'm going to keep your heirloom for myself! I'm so evil, muahaha!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: