http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:36:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher: Enhance Edition  (Read 31683 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on July 01, 2008, 03:05:26 PM

First half of September, apparently.

On a related note, I read The Last Wish and found it surprisingly good, especially given that it was a translation.

Until I see it on a shelf I will just act like it doesn't exist.  I have been waiting months to play it smile

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »

woohoo!!  a better inventory layout amongst everything else!:

Aside from more load time improvements and other technical improvements, one of the best improved features will undoubtedly be the inventory system. Player inventory has been reconfigured to be split into two categories: alchemical items and everything else. There's also now a button to auto sort your items by further category so that all like items (scrolls or potions or books) will move next to each other and any duplicate items will automatically stack. There will also be buttons that can be used in the alchemical items section that can be pushed to highlight substances with specific ingredients so that you don't have to click through them all. This system should definitely make the stash inventory much more manageable. Combined with a small improvement to the alchemy system that will allow players to see which of the ingredients needed to create a specific potion isn't in their inventory should make the extensive potion gameplay features much more fun to use.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 11:12:03 PM »

According to the front page, it's out.  But I can't find a link to the download.  Someone helps me!!

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 17, 2008, 11:12:03 PM

According to the front page, it's out.  But I can't find a link to the download.  Someone helps me!!

Game is out in stores (in the US, Europe release date is the19th) but the download patch is not out until Friday. You must be registered with your game manual's code in order to download it. Then it can be found in the "extras" section on Friday.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:23:17 PM by Lee » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 17, 2008, 11:18:24 PM

Game is out in stores (in the US, Europe release date is the19th) but the download patch is not out until Friday. You must be registered with your game manual's code in order to download it. Then it can be found in the "extras" section on Friday.

Am I the only one who thinks that making the buyers of last years version wait a few days is a bit of a crappy deal?  And you just know that their servers will be slammed when they do put it up, meaning likely problems/delays.

The cool thing would have been to offer the download a few days before the new version showed up in stores.

disgust

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2008, 03:04:26 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 18, 2008, 02:39:45 AM

Quote from: Lee on September 17, 2008, 11:18:24 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that making the buyers of last years version wait a few days is a bit of a crappy deal?  And you just know that their servers will be slammed when they do put it up, meaning likely problems/delays.

The cool thing would have been to offer the download a few days before the new version showed up in stores.

disgust

hell, they way they seem to work I wouldn't be surprised if the patch isn't up on time.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:58 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 18, 2008, 02:39:45 AM

disgust

From what I recall from a comment the PR made at QT3, retail stores wouldn't accept it. 

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal at all- frankly most companies would have charged for these improvements to begin with. I believe that not only are they offering up all of the code improvements/additons to existing owners, but the making of documentary, CD soundtrack, alternate language files, PDFs of all of the new strat guide, map, etc.  The *only* thing that existing owners miss out on is the Witcher short story because they didn't have the rights to publish that online. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2008, 03:50:56 AM »

I suspect those cards were censored (aka painted over) for the US release, the bottom one bears signs of an obviously painted on skirt flap, either that or the artist didn't even bother finishing the shading on it.  slywink  It's a weird artist thing when I liked a lot of the other cards I saw not for their cheesecake value, but because they were all rather well painted.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »

I played through the prologue to the start of Chapter 1 last night, and I'm very happy to report that the translation is *vastly* improved from the original.  I had to stop playing the original version around Chapter 3 because the plot had lost all meaning, but the dialogue in this version is already clearer and more complete.

It's been a long time since I set The Witcher aside so I may not remember correctly, but this version seems to have a more complete explanation of Geralt's backstory, Vesemir's history as a witcher, and more detail on the importance of Caer Mohren.  The conversations flow much better now, as well -- for starters, Vesemir now refers to Triss as "child" rather than "babe."

In combat, Geralt used to occasionally get stuck if he was ordered to attack something outside his immediate range.  This was particularly noticable if he used Force Push the Aard sign to knock a foe away and then attempt a coup de grace kill, but in the new version, he'll step right up and deliver the killing blow.  There's a known bug in the game that has accidentally removed all the blood, but the development team is allegedly aware of the issue and is already working on a fix.

Alchemy ingredients are now automatically filed into their own inventory section and can be filtered by type to make it much easier to find what you need.  Obviously I'm still too early in the game to have done much with the alchemy system, but my early impression is that it'll be a lot more intuitive for people to experiment with.

The only real drawback I see with the Enhanced Edition so far is the decision to forego a printed manual in favor of a strategy guide / walkthrough book.  The Witcher has a thorough set of tutorials that tell you pretty much everything you need to know about combat, alchemy, and the world around you, but as someone who flatly refuses to use strategy guides for games like this, I still think a regular game manual would have been the better choice here.

Overall, big thumbs up so far! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 18, 2008, 03:14:19 PM

The only real drawback I see with the Enhanced Edition so far is the decision to forego a printed manual in favor of a strategy guide / walkthrough book.  The Witcher has a thorough set of tutorials that tell you pretty much everything you need to know about combat, alchemy, and the world around you, but as someone who flatly refuses to use strategy guides for games like this, I still think a regular game manual would have been the better choice here.

if you're looking for a version of the manual you might want to check the disc or the game directory to see if it's there in pdf format.  luckily the game really doesn't need a manual- I downloaded the European version and never really felt at a loss due to not having a hard copy of the actual manual.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2008, 03:35:56 AM »

According to a mod on the official forums, there is a "rumor" that he can't confirm that the patch will be released between 8-10AM Warsaw time (GMT +1). 2-4AM EST.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2008, 06:05:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2008, 03:43:09 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 18, 2008, 03:14:19 PM

if you're looking for a version of the manual you might want to check the disc or the game directory to see if it's there in pdf format.  luckily the game really doesn't need a manual- I downloaded the European version and never really felt at a loss due to not having a hard copy of the actual manual.

For the US version they were forced to put the manual on the discs via PDF. If you import the European version, you get the actual manual. Apparently American retailer's didn't like the size of the original box and they were forced to reduce it slightly, thus one less book for the US market.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »

What's funny is that the box isn't all that big.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »

Is there a difference between the European Version and U.S. Version of the new enhanced edition of the game besides the manual being included in paper form?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »

The upgrade to EE patch has been released.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

Damn, they need to mirror this thing. Downloads are not happening right now.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 19, 2008, 02:06:57 PM

Damn, they need to mirror this thing. Downloads are not happening right now.  icon_frown

considering I'm still playing Clear Sky I'm going to wait for the lines to die down.  if in a week there is still a long wait I may just break down and suport them again by buying a retail copy.

Because I can,
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

I kind of figured it would be near impossible to get it today. Not that I won't try when I get home anyway.  icon_lol
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2008, 05:50:08 PM »

The EE patch and English Language pack are mirrored on FileShack now.  icon_biggrin

-craig

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »

I wonder if our Gaming Trend overlords could mirror the patch here....

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 19, 2008, 05:50:08 PM

The EE patch and English Language pack are mirrored on FileShack now.  icon_biggrin

Sweet thx for the heads up. I wonder what the chances are of me being able to walk my wife through downloading it for me.  icon_smile
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on September 19, 2008, 06:00:24 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 19, 2008, 05:50:08 PM

Sweet thx for the heads up. I wonder what the chances are of me being able to walk my wife through downloading it for me.  icon_smile

Cool she was able to figure it out. It should be done by the time I get home I think.  thumbsup
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »

Also, it appears that Fileshack is running a deal of a month or premium service for a dollar.  That's how I went.

Gamertag = IkeV
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

I decided to just wait in line... took about 15 minutes to get to the front of the queue and then not all that long to do the dirty deed.  Installing now.  nod

-craig

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »

I used to have a membership but I didn't use it enough to justify paying for it. Really good service though aside from it being a bit hard to cancel.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »

Modifying game files.  This may take up to two hours.  Manually interrupting this process will necessitate re-installation of the game.

Emphasis mine.

Yikes!

Gamertag = IkeV
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »

Hmm maybe I should walk my wife through installing the patch too. I might be pushing my luck at that point.  ninja2
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

Took maybe 10 minutes or so to install for me... am "working from home" today so just let it do its thing.  ninja

The install is simple enough, as long as everything (patch, language, additional stories) are all in the same folder the patch will install whatever is there automatically. The only part you may have to help her with is the registration check, you'll need to provide your userid and password to the Witcher community so it can check to see if you've registered your copy. Other than that, normal clicks to continue / next and then wait.

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »

Well, this patch has been a complete disaster for me so far, which sucks since I've been looking forward to the Enhanced Edition ever since it was first announced.

To begin with, I had to wait hours before I could actually download the file due to problems on their server. Once I did, the download occasionally stopped and had to be manually resumed. When it was finally done and I was trying to install it, I was told about 5 minutes into the installation that my install of the game was faulty and couldn't be patched. It's a good thing it was so vague, or I might have had some idea of what to do.

Took me two reinstalls and complete deletion of every hint of The Witcher in both my registry and the HD, plus uninstalling Daemon Tools before I could get it to patch. And then the patching itself lasted for 2 hours. Hooray!

Eventually it finished patching and I could start the game. Well, ATTEMPT to start the game, anyhow. It now gives me a generic windows error message about an unhandled exception almost immediately. I have no idea how to get past this, and the only semi-related issue I could find in their forums (about an EAX bug) didn't help. So here I am, at the start of the weekend, with no Witcher Enhanced Edition to play.

This sucks.

Edit: Forgot to add that when I first attempted to install the patch, I also couldn't get through to their registration servers to confirm that I owned the game, so I was stuck at that step too for a couple of hours. Fun.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:58:21 PM by TiLT » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »

Anyone know under what circumstances the 'Blood Revival Patch' is required?  I've got the uncensored imported version just patched up to 'enhanced' and I believe I remember reading that the patch that restores blood is only needed for the NA version?  icon_confused

Ok, found the news item I was thinking of, seems like I won't need it but others might, so:

Unfortunately in our efforts to make The Witcher: Enhanced Edition as awesome as possible, we made a little mistake... the North American version of the game shipped without a little file that enabled some additional blood effects. We've remedied that situation with the Blood Revival patch, which will be posted here tomorrow but is already available for download at the following sites:

Voodoo Extreme
Fileshack
Worthplaying

-craig

IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »

The patch hasn't gone so well for me either.  Downloaded the patch and discovered I had never registered my digital copy on their site.  Went through the registration process to discover that the digital copy activation key is invalid for registering the game.  Went to a couple of stores to buy the EE, but no one had it so I bought another copy of the original game only to find it was one of those Canadian manuals missing the CDKey.  sigh.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 19, 2008, 07:55:52 PM

Well, this patch has been a complete disaster for me so far, which sucks since I've been looking forward to the Enhanced Edition ever since it was first announced.

Yikes, that does suck. I gave up on the official site after downloads there crapped out on me five times. I couldn't even download the little 'adventures'. Switched over to the mirrors and didn't have a problem after that.

Perhaps it would be worth redownloading everything from one of the other sites, if you haven't already done so, before you give this another go?  Sounds like you'll need to start over again and that does indeed sucketh.

-craig

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 19, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

I wonder if our Gaming Trend overlords could mirror the patch here....

Or just make an official GT torrent for it, that'll let people get it faster without using up too much costly bandwidth.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »

Yeah, after sitting there for a really long time, I interrupted the patch process.  That apparently corrupted my install, as I was warned it would, so I uninstalled, and am reinstalling.

I've really been looking forward to playing this game for a long time.

Gamertag = IkeV
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 19, 2008, 07:48:32 PM

The install is simple enough, as long as everything (patch, language, additional stories) are all in the same folder the patch will install whatever is there automatically.

Umm, what additional stories? I have the patch and the language thingy, but what else do I need to get?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 19, 2008, 08:42:39 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 19, 2008, 07:48:32 PM

The install is simple enough, as long as everything (patch, language, additional stories) are all in the same folder the patch will install whatever is there automatically.

Umm, what additional stories? I have the patch and the language thingy, but what else do I need to get?

You don't NEED to get anything, but there are two additional mini-scenarios available for download. Don't worry, you can install them later without any issues. The only things you need for the initial patch is what you've already got.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »

I wish there was some sort of progress bar after getting the "This could take 2 hours" message.  I don't know whether it's hung or just thinking.

Gamertag = IkeV
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 19, 2008, 08:44:35 PM

I wish there was some sort of progress bar after getting the "This could take 2 hours" message.  I don't know whether it's hung or just thinking.

Read somewhere on the official forums that it will say not responding at times. Ignores this. Just forget it's there. smile
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57:59 PM »

How can I forget it's there?!  It's preventing me from playing the game.  It's like trying to forget that my balls itch.

Gamertag = IkeV
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »

The upgrade too 25 minutes and the language pack took seconds to install FYI.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: