http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:46:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Impressions, Mods and Mac in the fall!  (Read 23977 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 31, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

I'm curious how this game compares with the 1st for sys resources. I'm narrowing in on the completion of Witcher 1 and very much enjoying it, so I'd like to continue with 2. I can run 1 with all the settings on medium with a few high AA 2x and ANISO 4 and for the most part get 30+ fps. There's a few times in Vizima where I'll drop to the low 20's, but they're fairly brief.

Is 2 a big jump up in sys requirements or is it more or less the same?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 31, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

I'm not sure how much of a jump there is (it's a new engine), but there are a ton of graphics settings to play with this time around.  here are the minimus for easy comparison:

Witcher 1:

Minimum:

Supported OS: Microsoft® Windows® /XP/Vista
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included) or higher
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Athlon 64 +2800 (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +3000 recommended). Athlon XP series, such as the Athlon XP +2400, is not supported
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better (NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 XT or better recommended)
Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM recommended)
Sound: DirectX version 9.0c-compatible sound card
Hard Drive: 15 GB Free

Witcher 2

Minimum:

Processor: Intel 2.2 GHz Dual-Core or AMD 2.5 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1.5 GB (Win XP), 2GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 8800 (512 MB) or Radeon HD3850 (512 MB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 16GB
Sound:

Recommended:

Processor: Intel or AMD Quad-Core
Memory: 3 GB (Win XP), 4GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 260 (1 GB) or Radeon HD 4850 (1 GB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 16GB
Sound:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

Looks like I'm a bit above the W2 min for RAM and GPU, but I'm definitely below the recommended. Those W1 specs are way out of wack IMO - I'm well above the recommended and there's no way I could maintain consistently, decent fps with everything maxed. Considering the inaccuracey of the 1st games spec's, I'm doubting the 2nd is going to run decently on my rig. Unless they did a far better job of optimising it this time?

Anyhoo...many thanks for posting the specs.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:52 AM »

Game ch-ch-ch-changer!

GOG.com is pleased as punch to announce that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, developed by sister company CD Projekt RED, will be coming to PC on the 17th of April! Just like when CDP RED updated the original Witcher to The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, this comes with scads of upgrades and extras for you to enjoy. The good news is that anyone who owns The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings before the 17th will receive the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition for free!

In celebration, weíre offering The Witcher 2 on sale for 15% off, starting now, for the next two weeks.

In case you didnít hear the news from CDP RED, letís go over whatís new and awesome about the Enhanced Edition:

New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret--for now!

All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

GOG.com will also be adding the Witcher comic book to our list of goodies on the 17th as a free gift to everyone who owns the Witcher 2; further, there will be a new game map, game guide, manual, and soundtrack available in your free goodies on that day as well.

The Witcher 2 is already a game that has won--in scientific notation--a gazillion awards. Come this April 17th, itís going to get even better!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »

for those who don't go into the console section, here's the new intro for the Enhanced Edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ajukUlRKdA&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »

I picked this up during the latest Amazon sale. I was going to hold out until the Enhanced Edition (I was even considering waiting for it on the 360), but the Amazon $14.99 deal was too good to pass up.

I'm coming into this thread new here, so this may have been covered earlier.

I'm enjoying the game so far and I'm looking forward to the rest of the game. I'm in Flotsam, making decent progress. I've completed quite a few quests, I think I'm level 8, and I'm cleaning up a few quests before taking on the Kayran.

I do have one issue with the game and wondered if it is common and, if so, if there's a fix. I am having a bear of a time targetting people to activate the talk button. In order to talk to the Flotsam blacksmith, I have to move over to the side and wait for an NPC to walk up in front of him, then the talk button appears (if I'm standing in just the right spot). It's hit or miss with the "witch" in her house to try to talk to her about Newboy's amulet or to trade with her. I have to stand in different places in her cabin and slowly move the mouse/camera around until I get just the right pixel to activate talk. There are several other places where it's hard to talk to characters.

But, most frustratingly, I'm trying to finish the "In the Claws of Madness" quest where:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I have the nekker hearts and eyes to give to the head wraith back down in the ruins of the hospital.

No matter what I do, where I stand, how meticulously I move the mouse/camera, I cannot get a talk icon to activate for him.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone found a way to overcome this or if I'm alone in my "talk" frustrations.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »

quant like you i JUUUUUST picked this up (fun game!) and while i havent had anything like what youre describing i think i miiiiiiight know what it is.  when i had my game in certain resolutions, i noticed, on the main menu, that options like "load" "extras" etc would highlight when my cursor was near them or in sort of a wonky place and not where i thought it should be.  so im going to suggest you try fiddling with your game resolution - maybe your screen and cursor are "out of sync" with each other.  this is just a shot in the dark on my part, but give it a go and see what happens
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 01, 2012, 02:02:13 AM »

Thanks Doopri.

I played with the resolutions, but that didn't seem to help. I searched around online and found that others had enabled "UberSampling" to fix it. I tried that and, voila, I could talk to NPCs again.

The only problem is that it seems I'm taking a frame rate hit in Flotsam. Maybe it'll even out once I get out of town again. I hope I won't have to enable/disable it throughout the game, because I have to exit all the way out to find that setting.

At least I'm able to talk to characters again and was able to close the Madness quest.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

apparently when pirates went after this game they purposely went after the SecuROM version.

"We release the game. It's cracked in two hours, it was no time for Witcher 2. What really surprised me is that the pirates didn't use the GOG version, which was not protected. They took the SecuROM retail version, cracked it and said 'we cracked it' -- meanwhile there's a non-secure version with a simultaneous release. You'd think the GOG version would be the one floating around."

in short, they ain't bothering with DRM ever again.

"Every subsequent game we will never use any DRM anymore, it's just over-complicating things," Iwinski said. His presentation was hinged on how the Polish publisher sold over a million copies of the game on a modest budget.

"DRM does not protect your game," Iwinski told Joystiq after the presentation. "If there are examples that it does, then people maybe should consider it, but then there are complications with legit users."

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 09, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

I've always thought that releasing Trojan laden copies of your game onto shareware sites was the best way to go.  Burn enough folks and they might wise up.  Of course, I have no idea how illegal that is...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 09, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »

so ive been playing this game and feel like i love it to death 93% of the time and 7% of the time i hate it and swear ill never play it again.  even more odd, that 7% often isnt related to combat.

anyone know if theres a way to lock the minimap in the upper corner?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »

also in act 2 i played a mission in the mines of
Spoiler for Hiden:
vergen
.  the main story mission involved finding a flower and i had another mission in that same mine that involved blowing up shafts with a beehive bomb.  i leave the mine to find the crafting diagram for beehives, dont find it and go back down into the mine to finish the main quest thinking "ill look up a walkthrough and find out where to get the beehive; in the meantime ill finish this quest."  so i finish the mine quest, quit for the night and look up that a beehive is actually a grapeshot bomb, so i get the recipe, make the bombs and now start looking for the mine again.  except i cant find it and in my journal, when i mark the quest as active, i dont get a pip on my minimap / map.  i find what i THINK was the entrance to the mine (by the "metallurgy door") but now its locked.  did i miss out on this quest?  does anyone remember this from looooooong ago?  ah the perils of being late to the party.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 07, 2012, 05:22:04 AM »

looks like we'll be able to pre-load the Enhanced Update starting the 11th.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

Ahhh, a good week for me.   This + Grimrock = ahhhh
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »

sweet jumpin' jesus christ on a exercise ball!  the patch download is 10 gigs?

[edit]  scratch that, 12 gigs?  and it's forcing me to download voiceover files I don't need?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:41:31 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:49 AM »

how are you getting that download?   Over on gog it says I cannot download witcher 2 enhanced until the 17th..

http://www.gog.com/en/page/witcherbackup

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2012, 03:01:12 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 12, 2012, 02:55:49 AM

how are you getting that download?   Over on gog it says I cannot download witcher 2 enhanced until the 17th..

http://www.gog.com/en/page/witcherbackup

here you go.  some further research shows this is an 'all versions patch', which means you could have 1.0 and it'll update you through every patch that came out.  needless to say I'll be backing up this bad boy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:03:06 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2012, 03:38:20 AM »

Ok running it.  But I did see this in the notes:

"Pre-downloaded files will not be usable until April 17th when the gameís launcher will automatically allow you to download the remaining patch files."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »

I'm glad I held off on this until the enhanced version. I have Witcher 1 Ehanced on pause right now as I complete the novel - The Last Wish- as I've read it enhances the gameplay. All I can say is I'm loving every page of the novel and can't wait to get back to completing 1 and playing this. I doubt I'll be ready before the 17th though. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 12, 2012, 05:40:47 PM

I'm glad I held off on this until the enhanced version.

heh, I've been holding off on the Enhanced Edition ever since I got a copy of the game during its release week icon_wink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 12, 2012, 03:38:20 AM

Ok running it.  But I did see this in the notes:

"Pre-downloaded files will not be usable until April 17th when the gameís launcher will automatically allow you to download the remaining patch files."

I think it'll be a small 300 MB download if what I read was correct.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 17, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »

downloading the remainder of the patch now.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

You can get a free copy of TW2 Enhanced Edition on GOG if you bought the original game somewhere else, along with some additional bonuses, like an artbook.  Go here to get your copy and here if you need to find out your Steam serial number.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 17, 2012, 12:14:13 PM

You can get a free copy of TW2 Enhanced Edition on GOG if you bought the original game somewhere else, along with some additional bonuses, like an artbook.

Triss Playboy Session

icon_lol

Because I can,
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »

Fucking patch borked my entire install, even though I downloaded via the GOG installer.  I went to install the patch, it said "corrupted" and "rolled back" the Witcher 2 install - which means fucking it up so it doesn't run.  Now I'm stuck trying to download the whole thing again, except the GOG downloader won't start.  Urge to kill rising...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: April 18, 2012, 03:15:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2012, 07:00:28 PM

Quote from: EddieA on April 17, 2012, 12:14:13 PM

You can get a free copy of TW2 Enhanced Edition on GOG if you bought the original game somewhere else, along with some additional bonuses, like an artbook.

Triss Playboy Session

icon_lol

I think that was from the actual magazine spread they did last year.  kind of odd considering how tame the pictures are, but whatever. 

the other freebies are nice to have too.  a lot like the stuff in the boxed copy, but with more added in. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »

and it's coming to Mac!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »

latest patch (3.2) has some UI changes:

1. Minimap: Adds a north arrow.
2. HUD: (Optional) can select items from the radial menu without clicking; (Optional) combat crosshair.
3. Alchemy: Crafting slots show how much ingredients there are; better default ingredient selection (e.g., not having to filter out quest item ingredients all the time); (Optional) unrotate alchemy element symbols; saves custom ingredient selection for a formula (until you close the panel or go to another formula, but no longer resetting every time you create something).
4. Tooltips: Taller, and scroll faster.
5. Inventory/Trading/Storage: Sorting buttons (sort by time acquired, name, aggregate weight, aggegrate price.) Reversible sort also possible.
6. Trading: Places a checkmark next to books, formulas, and crafting diagrams that you already have in your inventory.
7. Crafting: Shows how many items you have instead of capping the number at how many are required. E.g., 30/3 instead of 3/3.
8. Other: Sorts some lists alphabetically: crafting, alchemy, elixirs.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

REDkit, the modding tools, are going to be shown off this week.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: