http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 01:14:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Impressions, Mods and Mac in the fall!  (Read 23641 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: July 17, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »

upcoming patch includes free DLC

"There is still no ETA on its release so please bear with us and stay tuned for more information."

Here's the full change list:

1. New FREE DLC - "A Sackful of Fluff" is a new quest in Chapter 2 of the game. To start the quest, visit the eccentric Elthon, who inhabits a solitary hut near the quarry outside Vergen. The quest will prove most rewarding to those who demonstrate patience.
2. Game now supports 4:3, 5:4, 16:10 aspect ratios.
3. Item storage has been added. Players can now store items from their Inventory at inns. To leave items in storage or collect previously stored items, talk to innkeepers.
4. A Junk‟ panel has been added to Inventory to provide greater clarity in item classification.
5. New menu option added in Extras‟ - enables players to view in-game animated sequences (flashbacks, memory flashes, dreams stolen by harpies) outside of the game.
6. A Quickload‟ option has been added under the F9 key.
7. The game's HUD can now be hidden in order to produce HUD-free screenshots! On newly installed game copies, the option to hide/show the HUD is available by default under the 'H' key. Users who have modified the key assignments on their installations should go to the 'Input Settings' dialogue of the Witcher 2 Configuration Tool to assign a key to this option. Please note that the game cannot be played with the HUD hidden.
8. Issue involving the game not running at 2560x1440 resolution has been resolved.
9. Issues with nVidia 3D Vision technology have been resolved. Players no longer need to uninstall the related drivers.
10. Key bindings have been corrected to enable configuration of mouse buttons for use by left-handed players.
11. Assorted key binding options have been added to facilitate configuration of controls and quick access to various in-game panels.
12. Issue related to game settings being reset to defaults upon patch installation has been resolved. Patches no longer reset game settings.
13. The configuration file is no longer over-written when the launcher/configuration tool is patched and over-written.
14. The launcher now closes while the game is being patched, thus eliminating the resulting game patching error.
15. The launcher now closes completely and no longer continues to operate in the background.
16. Installed game version is invalid or incomplete‟ error in updater when free space on system drive is insufficient - message has been corrected to reflect more accurately the nature of the error.
17. Mutagens are now alchemy ingredients. Minor mutagens drop more frequently than do major mutagens, though the overall mutagen drop rate has been reduced.
18. Corrections have been made in the mutagen drop rate and in Thorak‟s store.
19. Dragon‟ section of Prologue does not become available until after all assault-related sections have been completed, thereby softening the difficulty curve at the start of the game.
20. During the fight against the kayran, when the bridge collapses, a map pin appears at the end of the bridge to facilitate player navigation and quest completion.
21. Map pins have been corrected in many quests.
22. Quen Sign slightly de-buffed - Sign dissipates 20% faster after foes land a blow. Assorted minor balance issues related to this Sign have also been resolved.
23. Issue with Dragon‟s Dream bombs has been resolved. Damage to bosses from cast daggers has been reduced by one-half.
24. Several optimization improvements have been made in the tavern in Vergen.
25. Problem with music accompanying stealth‟ sequences has been resolved.
26. Issue related to arm wrestling Bart Bargee has been resolved. Players can no longer win coin from this character endlessly.
27. Option to fist fight woman praying at a statue in Vergen has been deactivated.
28. Mini-game contestants at one of the in-game taverns now switch positions correctly without blocking one another.
29. Problem involving Fenn‟s sword in combat has been resolved.
30. Problems with herbalist‟s gloves have been resolved.
31. In the Prologue, Geralt retains his steel long sword throughout, i.e., he is no longer automatically equipped with his default sword for the Assault‟ sequence.
32. Problem with some nekkers being immortal has been resolved.
33. Issue with triggered black screens blocking game progress has been resolved.
34. Interactions no longer appear on nekker nests after these have been destroyed.
35. The "Scent of Incense" quest no longer shows up as failed after being completed successfully.
36. Sudden switch to gameplay just prior to cut scene involving Cynthia and Philippa has been eliminated.
37. Triss, Roche and Iorveth are now de-spawned before the final credits roll.
38. Guard pacing cycles have been corrected.
39. The Redanian messenger in Henselt‟s tent can no longer be killed, preventing him from re-spawning.
40. Elf woman in Vergen no longer strikes a T-pose.
41. Rotfiends feeding on corpses no longer re-spawn after corpse is burned.
42. Several fixes have been made in the functioning of in-game populaces.
43. Numerous problems with cameras in dialogue sequences have been resolved.
44. Assorted corrections have been made in dialogue sequences (including King Foltest‟s gestures on the town walls in the Prologue).
45. A progression break in the In the Claws of Madness‟ quest has been eliminated

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »

The "new and improved version 2.0" is coming soon.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »

I guess I'll be delaying getting back to this until 2.0 comes out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »

I have 2 things I wish they would fix with the new release.
- No more sound bugs.  The dialog keeps going out on me in 5.1 and I have to set it to stereo to hear the voices.
- The combat really needs to be quicker.  There are too many times I click a button and have to wait for an animation. They did speed it up with a patch but it still lags.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »

looks like 2.0 will be out 9-29.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 17, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

Polish it up for my next play through.  This time I am going with the "other side"...

And if I get a choice again I am not saving triss..

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:33 PM »

RPGWatch has some information on what's included in version 2.0 -

It will have a new tutorial system
    New difficulty setting: Dark mode, which comes with a new range of 'Dark' items
    A new game mode: Arena game mode
    Contains all the previous updates
    Contains all the DLC packs
    Free for those already owning the game
    Available on September the 29th

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »

Cool, should be enough that when I have a gaming lag I'll pull it out again
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 18, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 17, 2011, 11:53:16 PM

Cool, should be enough that when I have a gaming lag I'll pull it out again

that's gross....oh!  you meant the game.  my bad.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »

2.0 dev diary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTjJGyNsDsM&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »

So, like some of the other folks here I was thinking of finally having a go at this - and then the 2.0 release was announced. Fine, I'll wait some more, I can always play Deus Ex come Tuesday. However, I wonder... if the biggest things coming are the Dark Mode and an Arena Mode, both of which I'd probably never use, and a spanky new tutorial section which I'd like to think I really don't need, what exactly would I be waiting for? Are there any tweaks of interest other than those three new features?  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 21, 2011, 04:25:15 PM

So, like some of the other folks here I was thinking of finally having a go at this - and then the 2.0 release was announced. Fine, I'll wait some more, I can always play Deus Ex come Tuesday. However, I wonder... if the biggest things coming are the Dark Mode and an Arena Mode, both of which I'd probably never use, and a spanky new tutorial section which I'd like to think I really don't need, what exactly would I be waiting for? Are there any tweaks of interest other than those three new features?  icon_neutral

I'm looking forward to checking out the new tutorial section, the game really lacked a proper one.  I'm also hoping there's going to be other stuff they are holding back.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: August 21, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »

I'd recommend holding back a little bit. It's a great, great game already, so it's not as if you'd suffer if you went ahead right away, but there seems to be more to the patch than just Dark Mode and Arena matches. According to Eurogamer's article about the patch:

update 2.0 adds "20 technical enhancements", various gameplay tweaks and a number of major new features.

I have no idea what those technical enhancements and gameplay tweaks are supposed to be, and it might just be nothing, but I'd still wait for a little more info.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 21, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 21, 2011, 05:11:08 PM

I'd recommend holding back a little bit. It's a great, great game already, so it's not as if you'd suffer if you went ahead right away, but there seems to be more to the patch than just Dark Mode and Arena matches. According to Eurogamer's article about the patch:

update 2.0 adds "20 technical enhancements", various gameplay tweaks and a number of major new features.

I have no idea what those technical enhancements and gameplay tweaks are supposed to be, and it might just be nothing, but I'd still wait for a little more info.

Yah... looks like I'll do just that, already waited this long. It's not like I don't have other things to play.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »

The game is really, really good, and most people will want to play through it twice, due to the way the game is set up.

That said, if you can wait for the next patch, by all means - can't be anything than an even better experience :-)

A new one
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »

The CD Projekt conference call is tonight and details about the 2.0 patch should be revealed according to an email that I received from them.  The patch should be out next Thursday.
Hopefully they can fix the delay in combat.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »

RPS looks at 2.0: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/27/which-witcher-is-the-witcher-2-2-0/

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2011, 04:57:39 PM

Very good interview. Thanks for linking.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 29, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »

And the patch is out!!

http://www.thewitcher.com/patch2/

A new one
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »

Downloaded and installed the 758M patch.

They fixed my biggest issue with the game in that the combat is fluid now, before there was a small delay when you pressed the attack button and when the attack finally animated.
That is fixed and I'm not fighting against the controls but against the monsters in the game.

When I start the game up it does cause my sound system to pop so I think they fixed my sound problems as well. 

I did have a problem in the tutuoria, when I went and picked up some items Geralt just stands there and I can't move.  I am using a controller and I tried this twice and both times  I just get stuck.  It says to press
up on the dpad but that is default mapped to adrenaline so not sure about that.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: September 30, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »

Played more of the game with the patch tonight and it does play better but the tutorial is pretty bad.

I got stuck in two places where I didn't know what to do and the tutorial didn't let me know what was expected of me.  I didn't know that I had to read a document that I looted from a guy, without doing that you can't move and the game doesn't tell you that. Very strange.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: September 30, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »

I generally like Steam but Witcher 2 has been an absolute nightmare. Every time there is a patch it requires a 10+ gig download which takes hours. So I go to check out the new 2.0 patch and apparently a few files can't be validated. Result? ANOTHER 10 gig download. ARGH!!!!!!! I'm not kidding when I say that the time spent downloading the game is about 3 times my actual playtime.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

I dunno, my 2.0-download on Steam was a little over a GB in size. Your game got corrupted somehow, but it's unlikely to be Steam's fault.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:11 PM »

I just played through a large chunk of the prologue in the newly added Dark mode. It was awesome, especially since I have a new graphics card that lets me enjoy the game at almost max detail. smile The combat is definitely challenging at this difficulty level, but I feel as if I have almost full control. It's been long enough since I played the game last that I don't remember exactly how it was before, but I certainly struggled way more with the prologue the first time through (at normal difficulty) than I did this time in Dark mode. I even took a chance at a difficult and optional battle that I talked my way out of in my original playthrough. Got it on the second attempt, after a battle that lasted about 5 minutes and which required me to use several of my abilities in clever and well-timed ways. Health drops very quickly if enemies manage to connect with their attacks, so dodging is as important as ever. I was able to do instant-kills by stunning enemies with Aard already, something I never managed to do the last time I played. I noticed that I'm wearing different equipment this time than what I did before. It's probably part of one of the DLC packages that is now included.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »

I haven't played or own Witcher 2 and never got started with Witcher I either.  I see I can get the 2.0 2.0 setup for $29.99.  Should I give it a try?  (I like DA2, Elder Scrolls, Drakensang, etc)

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 04, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on October 04, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

I haven't played or own Witcher 2 and never got started with Witcher I either.  I see I can get the 2.0 2.0 setup for $29.99.  Should I give it a try?  (I like DA2, Elder Scrolls, Drakensang, etc)

yes.  yes.  and finally...yes.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 04, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2011, 07:24:14 PM

Quote from: Arnir on October 04, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

yes.  yes.  and finally...yes.

Hepcat - you are being unclear.  I think you are suggesting yes, but I'm not sure.  Could you please clarify?  (and before anyone says anything, yes that is sarcasm)

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 04, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »

The Witcher games are fantastic crpg's that any true rpg fan should play through.  To maximize your fun, pick up Witcher 1 and play through it first.  It's not completely necessary to do so in terms of story, but I find that when playing games with a sequel I enjoy getting to the new technology AFTER i play through the older one first.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 04, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »

I certainly agree in general with doing the first first, etc.  I don't know why, but the Witcher just never grabbed me but I know I hardly scratched the surface.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »

I've found that the majority of RPG's are tough to judge until you get at least an  hour or two into them...sometimes more.  When you start leveling and gaining access to the full set of game mechanics, you get a better idea of what the game offers.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on October 04, 2011, 07:38:22 PM

I certainly agree in general with doing the first first, etc.  I don't know why, but the Witcher just never grabbed me but I know I hardly scratched the surface.

I put in over 20 hours into the Witcher and never "got it".  I've tried a half dozen times to get through that game, but I just get bored/confused/tired and find something that's actually fun.

With that said, I'm just about through Chapter 1 in the Witcher 2 and have found it far more engaging.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on October 05, 2011, 12:17:27 PM

I just get bored/confused/tired and find something that's actually fun.

Conversely, I thought Witcher 1 was great fun.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »

I thought witcher 1 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I liked witcher 2 just as much.

Soon as I finish bg2 again I am going to give it another whirl.   

Edwin just got his damn book from the crypt, lol.

I know, i know, but bg2 really is a awesome game.  umm.. yea, this is a witcher thread..  uhhh

hrmmm 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

I really wish I could get in to the Witcher games, I own both 1 and 2, but the gameplay is a huge turnoff for me.  The twitch based combat ends up just frustrating me to no end, and to be honest I personally have never understood why people find the story to be so engaging, it just has never gotten it's hooks into me.  I stopped playing Witcher 2 somewhere in the town in the swamps.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 05, 2011, 08:08:59 PM

I really wish I could get in to the Witcher games, I own both 1 and 2, but the gameplay is a huge turnoff for me.  The twitch based combat ends up just frustrating me to no end, and to be honest I personally have never understood why people find the story to be so engaging, it just has never gotten it's hooks into me.  I stopped playing Witcher 2 somewhere in the town in the swamps.

The story is so engaging because it's bleak and complex. It reminds people of great fantasy like A Song of Ice and Fire because of the way the world isn't just black and white (and neither are the characters) and because of the heavy political focus. For people looking for swords & sorcery fantasy, it's going to be a turnoff. For those of us who like our fantasy a little darker and a bit more mature, with plots that go beyond "defeat the evil villain" and which actually make you think, The Witcher is brilliant.

Bioware attempt to play at the same strings with their Dragon Age games, but they don't come close. They are still caught up in black & white world building, even if they try to make things edgier through more complex NPCs. The Witcher games are the only CRPGs I can think of that offer this kind of depth in story these days.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2011, 08:41:47 PM

The story is so engaging because it's bleak and complex. It reminds people of great fantasy like A Song of Ice and Fire because of the way the world isn't just black and white (and neither are the characters) and because of the heavy political focus. For people looking for swords & sorcery fantasy, it's going to be a turnoff. For those of us who like our fantasy a little darker and a bit more mature, with plots that go beyond "defeat the evil villain" and which actually make you think, The Witcher is brilliant.

Bioware attempt to play at the same strings with their Dragon Age games, but they don't come close. They are still caught up in black & white world building, even if they try to make things edgier through more complex NPCs. The Witcher games are the only CRPGs I can think of that offer this kind of depth in story these days.

Interesting...maybe I didn't get far enough in to see the game as not being black and white.  Everything in the dialog/story I came across seemed very clear cut to me.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

Sounds like you didn't get too far past the intro/tutorial, to be honest.  There's a couple of rather difficult decisions in chapter 1 alone. 

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 05, 2011, 08:55:32 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2011, 08:41:47 PM

Interesting...maybe I didn't get far enough in to see the game as not being black and white.  Everything in the dialog/story I came across seemed very clear cut to me.

Holy crow.  I don't know if this throws out any spoilers, but choosing who you side with is a major gray area thing to me, and not clear cut at all.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 06, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 06, 2011, 02:37:45 PM

Sounds like you didn't get too far past the intro/tutorial, to be honest.  There's a couple of rather difficult decisions in chapter 1 alone. 

IMO, there were far more difficult decisions in Dragon Age than in Witcher 2 (at least through Chapter 1).  The Witcher decisions have to be made with less-than-perfect knowledge.  The DA ones tugged at the ole' heartstrings more, though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Connor, Architect, Anvil of the Void, Mages, dwarven leader, etc. were all far more difficult than anything encountered in Witcher 2

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 06, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on October 06, 2011, 05:59:18 PM

IMO, there were far more difficult decisions in Dragon Age than in Witcher 2 (at least through Chapter 1).  The Witcher decisions have to be made with less-than-perfect knowledge.  The DA ones tugged at the ole' heartstrings more, though.

that was the whole point of those decisions.  you only had the knowledge you were given by the folks involved.  they weren't supposed to be emotional black and white issues.  while i enjoyed dragon age, i felt it was decidedly less mature in its storytelling than the witcher. 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: