http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Impressions, Mods and Mac in the fall!  (Read 23129 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »

review roundup.

PC Gamer 89%
Games Radar 10/10
bit-gamer 95%
Game Informer 9/10
Eurogamer 9/10
Game Reactor 9/10
NowGamer 8.4/10

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »

Just looked at this on steam

Aus steam price is 74.99
US steam price is 49.99

WTF is up with that shit  mad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »

Buy it through GoG - They will let you set your own nationality...and if you happen to set it to US, they won't object or say anything :-)

A new one
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 23, 2011, 10:04:02 AM

Buy it through GoG - They will let you set your own nationality...and if you happen to set it to US, they won't object or say anything :-)

mate, your a champ

cheers
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2011, 03:07:55 AM

Not really feeling the love for this one yet, but am having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why.  I think the biggest problem is that it feels like I'm simply running around stumbling upon things by accident, rather than really having a clear goal or plan.  I'm sure some folks like that sort of haphazard discovery, but I'm not a big fan.  I always like to know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and and how to accomplish the task, rather than simply trying to guess or luck my way through (for their faults, this is something that Bioware RPGs excel at).  Not having any sort of indicator either directly on an NPC (i.e. an "!" above them) or on the map makes it very difficult to figure out what the hell I'm actually supposed to be doing.  I know you can sometimes track specific quests on the map, but I'm sure I'm probably missing a bunch of side stuff simply because I didn't happen to talk to the right NPC among all the other same-y looking NPC's. 

Still, the combat is still very fun, and I'm interested enough to keep giving it a shot.  At least for now.

Clicking on a quest in the journal will put most quests on the map and limited instructions under the mini map. You may already know this. I agree that having to run around and talk to everyone for sidequests when most don't talk to you is a bit annoying. Then again, I don't really like big signs over quest givers heads either.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 23, 2011, 04:43:14 PM

Not really feeling the love for this one yet, but am having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why.  I think the biggest problem is that it feels like I'm simply running around stumbling upon things by accident, rather than really having a clear goal or plan.  I'm sure some folks like that sort of haphazard discovery, but I'm not a big fan.  I always like to know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and and how to accomplish the task, rather than simply trying to guess or luck my way through (for their faults, this is something that Bioware RPGs excel at).  Not having any sort of indicator either directly on an NPC (i.e. an "!" above them) or on the map makes it very difficult to figure out what the hell I'm actually supposed to be doing.  I know you can sometimes track specific quests on the map, but I'm sure I'm probably missing a bunch of side stuff simply because I didn't happen to talk to the right NPC among all the other same-y looking NPC's. 

Still, the combat is still very fun, and I'm interested enough to keep giving it a shot.  At least for now.

Clicking on a quest in the journal will put most quests on the map and limited instructions under the mini map. You may already know this. I agree that having to run around and talk to everyone for sidequests when most don't talk to you is a bit annoying. Then again, I don't really like big signs over quest givers heads either.

Thanks Greg.  I've seen that, but the journal instructions and map directions seem to be very hit and miss.  Sometimes they'll let me know exactly where the objective is, other times they'll give very vague instructions and leave me without a clue what I"m supposed to do.  I do agree that a big "!" over someone's head would break the immersion of this game, but there has to be a better alternative than requiring you to talk to every...single...person on the off chance that they actually trigger a new quest.  Maybe highlight quest-givers in that same orange glow as items, or something like that.

Minor quibble:   It drives me nuts that the "Use" icon pops up every time you run by a torch in town.  It's gotten to the point where I'm ignoring the icon most of the time because it's something stupid like a torch of ball of twine, and I'm sure I'll end up missing something important as a result. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2011, 05:14:37 PM

Minor quibble:   It drives me nuts that the "Use" icon pops up every time you run by a torch in town.  It's gotten to the point where I'm ignoring the icon most of the time because it's something stupid like a torch of ball of twine, and I'm sure I'll end up missing something important as a result. 

no kidding.  I missed the sword right before getting out of the prison in the prologue the first time I passed by it because of that.  luckily I had to reload and caught it on the second time through, I'd hate to see how the beginning of Chapter 1 would have played out without it.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:38 PM »

Thanks Greg.  I've seen that, but the journal instructions and map directions seem to be very hit and miss.  Sometimes they'll let me know exactly where the objective is, other times they'll give very vague instructions and leave me without a clue what I"m supposed to do.  I do agree that a big "!" over someone's head would break the immersion of this game, but there has to be a better alternative than requiring you to talk to every...single...person on the off chance that they actually trigger a new quest.  Maybe highlight quest-givers in that same orange glow as items, or something like that.

Minor quibble:   It drives me nuts that the "Use" icon pops up every time you run by a torch in town.  It's gotten to the point where I'm ignoring the icon most of the time because it's something stupid like a torch of ball of twine, and I'm sure I'll end up missing something important as a result.  

Can I still love the game yet agree with everything Gratch just said?   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 23, 2011, 05:30:38 PM

Thanks Greg.  I've seen that, but the journal instructions and map directions seem to be very hit and miss.  Sometimes they'll let me know exactly where the objective is, other times they'll give very vague instructions and leave me without a clue what I"m supposed to do.  I do agree that a big "!" over someone's head would break the immersion of this game, but there has to be a better alternative than requiring you to talk to every...single...person on the off chance that they actually trigger a new quest.  Maybe highlight quest-givers in that same orange glow as items, or something like that.

Minor quibble:   It drives me nuts that the "Use" icon pops up every time you run by a torch in town.  It's gotten to the point where I'm ignoring the icon most of the time because it's something stupid like a torch of ball of twine, and I'm sure I'll end up missing something important as a result.  

Can I still love the game yet agree with everything Gratch just said?   icon_biggrin

Yes! I do!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 23, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

some random thoughts:

not sure I care for the cartoon cut scenes.  while cool looking they just seem out of place.

been seeing some NPC pop-in in Flotsam near the docks.  not sure if this is one of those ATI issues they talk about.

I wish they had gotten the same actress to return to voice Triss.

been playing around with the graphics settings, and for shits & giggles I put everything to low and the game still looked good.  props on the graphics.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »

The first cartoon cut scene that appeared in the game brought my system to a standstill.  It was odd.  I was running everything else smooth as could be, but the moment these still shots show up, my computer starts stuttering like Mel Tillis.   icon_confused
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:22:48 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 23, 2011, 06:21:17 PM

The first cartoon cut scene that appeared in the game brought my system to a standstill.  It was odd.  I was running everything else smooth as could be, but the moment these still shots show up, my computer starts stuttering like Mel Tillis.   icon_confused

I got the same thing, stuttering and cracking in the audio, the second was fine though.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 23, 2011, 06:40:01 PM »

Ah, same thing happened to me - rest of game was fine

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 23, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2011, 05:17:37 PM

no kidding.  I missed the sword right before getting out of the prison in the prologue the first time I passed by it because of that.  luckily I had to reload and caught it on the second time through, I'd hate to see how the beginning of Chapter 1 would have played out without it.

I completely missed the sword too. But there is another one near the end of the prologue so all was not lost, I just had to beat up several dozen guards with a club.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2011, 02:01:04 AM »

I really love this game.  Best game I have played since witcher 1 and dragon age origins...

its awesome.  And somehow keeps that witcher feel going..   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:10:32 AM by Morgul » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:29 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 24, 2011, 02:01:04 AM

I really this game.  Best game I have played since witcher 1 and dragon age origins...

You really this game?  Really?!? 

slywink

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:47 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 24, 2011, 02:04:29 AM

Quote from: Morgul on May 24, 2011, 02:01:04 AM

I really this game.  Best game I have played since witcher 1 and dragon age origins...

You really this game?  Really?!? 

slywink

really really really this game..
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 24, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »

They do put an exclamation point for quest turn in and plot points, but you need to the make the quest active.  For certain quest yes you will need to stumble around before the quest will advance

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »

Like when I keep not rolling over for people and then they threaten to kill me  Tongue
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 25, 2011, 07:27:46 PM »

New ATI hotfix is out today that a lot of people are saying helps with W2 performance.  Also, the W2 patch should hopefully be released tonight.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 25, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »

no kidding.  I missed the sword right before getting out of the prison in the prologue the first time I passed by it because of that.  luckily I had to reload and caught it on the second time through, I'd hate to see how the beginning of Chapter 1 would have played out without it.

I cant seem to find that sword.  Where is it?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 25, 2011, 11:18:11 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
it's on the weapons rack that is right past the final gate before you get out of the prison.  it's the one the Ambassador helps you open.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

I think I'm going to shelve this for now, as I just can't seem to get into it at all.  Every time I sit down to play, I end up frustrated with something new.  It's never anything huge, mind you, rather a bunch of small annoyances that add up to a not-so-fun experience.

I often just find I'm simply not in the mood for a particular style of game, and it 'clicks' if I come back to it later.  Hoping that's the case here, as I really want to like Witcher 2.

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2011, 02:47:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2011, 11:32:36 PM

Quote from: Morgul on May 25, 2011, 11:18:11 PM

I

Spoiler for Hiden:
it's on the weapons rack that is right past the final gate before you get out of the prison.  it's the one the Ambassador helps you open.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found it.  I didnt follow that guy and was killing some guards and finding fat lewtz..   When eh said meet him later I figured he meant later.  I didn't see him after leaving that room.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2011, 02:56:37 AM »

I am in chapter 1..  And, I loved the original one, but I think 2 is even better, so far.  \

Nice dying several times trying to figure it out instead of coasting without a sweat like I have been doing in DA2.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 26, 2011, 02:56:37 AM

I am in chapter 1..  And, I loved the original one, but I think 2 is even better, so far.  \

Nice dying several times trying to figure it out instead of coasting without a sweat like I have been doing in DA2.

Really? You like dying and reloading? I agree that I don't enjoy coasting without a sweat, but several reloads put me in a foul mood. I finally gave in and set this sucker to easy.The last straw
Spoiler for Hiden:
After trying about 30+ reloads to kill the queens-yes I know what to do but you are allowed to be hit once-twice and you die. So I give up. go exploring to maybe go up a couple of levels. Stumble upon the haunted place where you rescue the 2 guys. Cool enter, creep around enjoying the atmosphere, jump down, meet 2 wraiths and die, die die. Try using the oil to increase damage against spirits-die, die die. after about 15 reloads I win. Yay! 10 min later I meet 2 more spirits-die,die, die.  Not fun for me. Easy is too easy but still more fun for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 26, 2011, 02:56:37 AM

I've heard eventually you do start coasting through, like they reversed the learning curve.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »

there's been a slight delay in the patch: http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/32/

Because I can,
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »

I just tried to launch the game on steam and it is now downloading a 9 gig patch. Are you freaking kidding me?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:38 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on May 26, 2011, 09:59:00 PM

I just tried to launch the game on steam and it is now downloading a 9 gig patch. Are you freaking kidding me?

I think Steam simply patches things on its own end then uploads the changed files to its users. CD Projekt are to blame for this situation for shipping a game with a 9 GB data file. That kind of crap leads to all kinds of problems.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »

The patch for the GOG version is only 9MB.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on May 27, 2011, 05:40:17 AM

That's because it's an actual patch and not a complete redownload of the massive file. Even so, I can imagine that the patching process takes a long time since it probably has to extract, patch, then repack the file. It's just bad design to use such large files to begin with.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 27, 2011, 07:26:01 AM

Quote from: Tscott on May 27, 2011, 05:40:17 AM

That's because it's an actual patch and not a complete redownload of the massive file. Even so, I can imagine that the patching process takes a long time since it probably has to extract, patch, then repack the file. It's just bad design to use such large files to begin with.

Surprisingly the update process for the GOG version was real fast. On my machine it was about 1 minute to patch to 1.1. Nothing like the update process to convert original The Witcher to the Enhanced version which required a very long patch time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:58:01 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »

This is easily one of my favorite RPG's ever. The only thing I still don't like is that you have to wait a couple of seconds to collect your loot when the fight is finishes which annoys me a lot.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »

Ugh, that patch did not install easily.  I have the D2D version and I grabbed the suggested version from the developer's site.  When I tried to install it, it just kept telling me that I had an incomplete version.  Thankfully, I still had the original download from D2D so I just reinstalled that without downloading the massive game files again.  During the install, it detected that a patch was available and did it all for me. 

It really does seem a bit faster when loading and so far no freeze ups (something I was starting to get after about 30 to 45 minutes of play).

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 27, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »

Once again GoG for the win with this game. 9mb compared to 9gigs, lol.  nod

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 26, 2011, 01:12:59 AM

I think I'm going to shelve this for now, as I just can't seem to get into it at all.  Every time I sit down to play, I end up frustrated with something new.  It's never anything huge, mind you, rather a bunch of small annoyances that add up to a not-so-fun experience.

I often just find I'm simply not in the mood for a particular style of game, and it 'clicks' if I come back to it later.  Hoping that's the case here, as I really want to like Witcher 2.

I'm feeling the same way.  fired it up for about 5 minutes last night; looted some stuff in Flotsam and then went back to playign The Saboteur.  Maybe I'll fire up the original to see fi that gets me in the mood.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »

CD Projekt explains 9gig patch

Eyeballs popped yesterday when owners of The Witcher 2 realised patch 1.1 on Steam was an enormous 9GB.

Why was it so big? Because the patch altered the entire 9GB Witcher 2 archive file, which Steam users were forced to re-download.

The actual 1.1 patch was only 15MB.

Will this be the case with all future Witcher 2 patches on Steam, including the planned 1.2 release next week?

"We are very sorry for gamers who have to download that much data and we agree that no one should be forced to do it just for one patch," developer CD Projekt told Eurogamer.

"We are aware of the situation and due to its nature we are in close cooperation with Steam, working together on resolving this issue.

"Unfortunately it takes some time. We will have more information ready on Monday. We are really sorry for inconvenience."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 27, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

If I got the game from gog where is my patch? I tried to download one from the patches scrolls and it said it was incompatable.
I'm happier on easy. Still took me about 6 or seven times to beat the Kayran. And I figured out what they wanted right away
Spoiler for Hiden:
Glowing spots to hit? really? Still?
The random encounters are too easy now but for me too easy is better than multiple,multiple reloads. Glad to be advancing the story now. And I dislike having to wait for the loot to spawn as well. I didn't have any of these problems in Witcher one but I'm still enjoying this game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 27, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 27, 2011, 05:49:38 PM

If I got the game from gog where is my patch?

Gog.com?

http://www.gog.com/en/news/the_witcher_2_1_1_patch_is_available_now

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: