http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Impressions, Mods and Mac in the fall!  (Read 23707 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 19, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 18, 2011, 02:09:49 AM

So, did anyone else find the very early-game "cameo" by a popular parkour assassin?

That is awesome!  I wish I had noticed it since I'm currently also playing Brotherhood.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: May 19, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »

I just completed the game's first true boss fight in chapter 1, and it was extremely challenging (normal difficulty). It also underlined one of the reasons why Dragon Age 2 failed so hard.

Both games seem to have boss fights against huge monsters that require attack memorization to win against. The difference is that where Dragon Age 2's boss fights could easily last 20 minutes where almost all of that time was spent slooooowly chipping away on the boss' hit points, the one I came up against in The Witcher 2 lasted about 3 minutes, tops. Pretty much every time I died, it happened in the first minute, which made replaying the battle much more appealing and reduced the annoyance factor of death considerably. The boss had a hit point bar, but the game more or less ignored it. There was never a need to chip away at hit points. There were instead smaller goals to accomplish during the battle, and completing each of these goals resulted in the boss dying. It never felt like a grind.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 19, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

A thing to keep in mind, I only remembered at the end - If you are having trouble, the game comes with a gameguide, which will..well, guide you through how to do things in case you are stuck. For GOG owners, it can be downloaded the same place you get the game :-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 19, 2011, 07:42:39 PM

A thing to keep in mind, I only remembered at the end - If you are having trouble, the game comes with a gameguide, which will..well, guide you through how to do things in case you are stuck. For GOG owners, it can be downloaded the same place you get the game :-)

That same guide is available for the Steam version too. You can download the extras by going to Steam's tools section. I'm not going to touch the guide until I finish the game, unless I become truly stuck.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »

I won't consider this game officially released until jersoc has posted how awful it is. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2011, 08:06:22 PM

I won't consider this game officially released until jersoc has posted how awful it is. 

icon_lol

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 19, 2011, 08:21:55 PM

icon_lol

Ahh hepcat... all I need to do is find a few posts from you to make a bad day good.  

icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »

I'm loving this game, but I'm having a strange technical problem with it.  First off I'm playing on a laptop with an i7 cpu, gtx 460m, 6gb ram, windows 7 64 bit.  1st day game ran with no problems at all on high setting with aa off and shadows set to medium.  Now the 1st time I load it after booting up my laptop it takes forever to load the save file (5 min +) and once it's in game I'm getting around 5fps.  The only way I have fixed this is to reinstall video drivers and then it works fine (loading save file less than 15 sec, 25 fps).  The thing is I have to go thru this process each time my laptop is booted up for the first time that day.  It only happens with this game and no others.  I have tried all sorts of video drivers from nvidia, currently using the latest beta driver.  Any thoughts on what may be causing this?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

I'm a couple hours in and like it so far...mostly.  Just got to Flotsam.  The game looks stunningly beautiful (medium settings on my low-end system), the voice work, music, and gameworld are incredibly well done, and the story is quite engaging.  Combat is very fun, but I find Geralt's movement outside of combat to be incredibly clunky.  Just walking Geralt around feels like I'm driving a tank.  I know I'm probably missing out on many of the game mechanics because the damn tutorials would flash up so quickly during the prologue (often during the middle of combat) that I would accidentally click out of them before getting a chance to read it.  Yeah, yeah... RTFM!  I'm collecting a veritable shit-ton of garbage (i.e. leather, twine, herbs, etc) with no idea whether or not this stuff is actually useful.   Took me forever to figure out how to get into the monastery during the prologue (cutscene higlighting the gate didn't trigger for some reason, so I was left wandering around the entire area for 1/2-hour until I reloaded), which was sorta frustrating.  I've already died at least half a dozen times, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but is a little outside the norm for the beginning of an RPG.  Couldn't figure out how to sneak around the first dungeon of Chap 1, and kept getting spotted by guards clear at the other end of the hallway when I thought I was hidden in shadows.  Thankfully, it's pretty easy to just muscle your way out.

Still on the fence, but looking forward to putting in a few more hours this weekend.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 20, 2011, 12:50:10 PM

I know I'm probably missing out on many of the game mechanics because the damn tutorials would flash up so quickly during the prologue (often during the middle of combat) that I would accidentally click out of them before getting a chance to read it.  Yeah, yeah... RTFM! 

All the tutorials can be accessed from your journal at any time (hit J), as well as some more general gameplay info. I'd still recommend reading the manual, as the in-game help seems to skip some vital stuff (such as what each sign does.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

This game is kicking my butt.  Yeah, yeah I know, RTFM...I guess I have gotten spoiled by games actually offering a tutorial to teach you key concepts to where the manual is not needed.   I had the same issue with the tutorials disappearing before I could read them.  Took me until Flotsam to figure out how the heck to use a potion.

I died probably 15-20 times when I had to battle 6 or so guys trying to open the gate to the temple/monastery.  I quit 3 or 4 times out of frustration.  Finally dropped it down to easy.

I guess I am not cut out for action style games.  The difficulty for me is detracting from being able to enjoy the story.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 20, 2011, 03:14:41 PM

This game is kicking my butt.  Yeah, yeah I know, RTFM...I guess I have gotten spoiled by games actually offering a tutorial to teach you key concepts to where the manual is not needed.   I had the same issue with the tutorials disappearing before I could read them.  Took me until Flotsam to figure out how the heck to use a potion.

I died probably 15-20 times when I had to battle 6 or so guys trying to open the gate to the temple/monastery.  I quit 3 or 4 times out of frustration.  Finally dropped it down to easy.

I guess I am not cut out for action style games.  The difficulty for me is detracting from being able to enjoy the story.

The fights can be pretty tough.  One thing that really helped me out was the use of Quen.  being able to get hit twice for no damage every 30 seconds helps a lot.  Also using Quen in conjunction with yarden gives me a little breathing room when fighting multiple enemies.

Just wanted to add that I am loving this game.  It's what Dragon Age 2 should have been.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

the Witcher doesn't like FAT chicks drives?  kinda an odd requirement, needing NTFS instead of FAT32.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 20, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »

guess it'll never be out then. only bad games are called as such. good games i'm too busy playing. didn't realize I wasn't allowed to say that a game was bad to prevent people from wasting their money. my apologies if you have lots of money to lose and felt offended that dragon age 2 is in fact pure shit.

people still use fat drives? why? we need more games and programs requiring people not be stuck in the 90s with hardware. 4 cores all wasted because of such. at least MS is forcing 64bit next OS, thank god.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 20, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 20, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

guess it'll never be out then. only bad games are called as such. good games i'm too busy playing.

I give it 12 more hours until you decide that the color they chose for the inventory screen background ruins the game and therefore Witcher 2 sucks as few things have sucked before.   Tongue

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »

I think he's just overcompensating because he secretly loves Dragon Age 2 and is afraid to show it  icon_lol

Because I can,
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2011, 03:23:05 AM »

I'm generally enjoying the game so far, however quick time events are the solution of the simple minded developer and I could use more game and less movie - the amount of long winded cutscenes borders on the absurd!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2011, 03:26:28 AM »

Hey, I love me some long-winded cutscenes! Think I'm in the rarity there though... Not having a manual on hand is frustrating me a bit though... need to spend the time to learn what all the spells do.

Enjoying the game a lot (last quest I did was rose of remembrance). Glad the reviews are so good too, 15 reviews on metacritic, the worst is an 87.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: May 21, 2011, 06:29:05 AM »

I love the long cut scenes, part of the whole RPG look and feel for me. Geralt is great.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2011, 08:28:24 AM »

It looks like the majority of the long cutscenes are in the prologue anyway.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

Man I die a lot. Yes I've read all the combat tips and at times I can do okay with it. But when surronded it's still pretty tough. I just got off the boat.
Spoiler for Hiden:
So I have to keep up with Tress and fend off the archers. The guys ganging up on me are wiping me out. Only got about 4-5 tries in this am before work. Still enjoying the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »

patch 1.1 is due next week: http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/26/

I got the first disc installing right now, should be interesting to see if I run into these ATI problems.

Because I can,
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 21, 2011, 02:10:30 PM

Man I die a lot. Yes I've read all the combat tips and at times I can do okay with it. But when surronded it's still pretty tough. I just got off the boat.
Spoiler for Hiden:
So I have to keep up with Tress and fend off the archers. The guys ganging up on me are wiping me out. Only got about 4-5 tries in this am before work. Still enjoying the game.

I died a lot too when I first started playing, but then I actually took time to read the manual, and realized there WAS a way to block  Roll Eyes, and it made combat much easier for me.  Shame on me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »

damn, the beginning of this game is kicking my ass.  I can see I'll need to make more use of the signs than I did in the first game.  Like Hep I do find it kinda weird that you can lay down a full trap with all the tripwires in the middle of combat but can't pop the cork on a potion, and the whole having to concentrate while drinking them to die doesn't really fly since he didn't have to do that in the past.

I think they made a mistake letting you choose what order you experience events in the beginning.

I chose the dragon one, not realizing I'd get to see the other two options too.  I almost quit when I managed to make it past that portion, but I imagine if I had a level or two before then it wouldn't have been so bad. the next choice was the storming the battlements one which was much easier and would have been a great opener to learn everything.

beautiful game though, I got everything including Uber cranked up and it's very playable.  Just not a big fan of the new combat as of yet, and because of that it's not sucking me in like some other games I'm currently playing.  I'm also kind of bummed that apparently I didn't keep any of my final save game files from the original.

BTW, Steam has the manual online if anyone who is on the fence wants to take a look at it.  probably wouldn't help as much as a demo, but at least it's a look at the game.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2011, 01:37:40 AM »

Can't get the Troll Trouble DLC to install.  It just keeps downloading the same file over and over and over again.   icon_confused  Seems a lot of folks are having the same problem, too.  I hope they get their servers fixed soon.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2011, 02:12:07 AM »

Just finished Chapter One. About to go back and finish with the other story choice so I have save points at the start of Chapter 2. I've died a few times, but not much (of course I'm playing on Easy...)

FYI, if you hit places that seem like two options, make sure you check the journal as it may just select one of two mission options by default, so if you don't pay attention you may make a story decision.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2011, 04:14:03 AM »

yeah, glad I'm playing a borrowed copy and didn't pay for this, I'd be ticked off otherwise.  I love how Aard knocks the knights with the shields to their knees and then you can't damage them.  Yrden doesn't seem to work as advertised either, I thought it said the sign was supposed to immobilize targets but they seem to be moving even when I can see they've tripped it, and I'll be damned if I've seen Axii work even on the least powerful enemy.

oh, and I hope they patch in a way to disable the auto targeting.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2011, 01:37:40 AM

Can't get the Troll Trouble DLC to install.  It just keeps downloading the same file over and over and over again.   icon_confused  Seems a lot of folks are having the same problem, too.  I hope they get their servers fixed soon.

it looks like I got that, since it shows up in the download folder in the witcher 2 director in my user documents.  I'm assuming I don't need to grab the English stuff since the game is already in English   icon_lol

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2011, 04:14:03 AM

yeah, glad I'm playing a borrowed copy and didn't pay for this, I'd be ticked off otherwise.  I love how Aard knocks the knights with the shields to their knees and then you can't damage them.  Yrden doesn't seem to work as advertised either, I thought it said the sign was supposed to immobilize targets but they seem to be moving even when I can see they've tripped it, and I'll be damned if I've seen Axii work even on the least powerful enemy.

They all work, but not very effectively at the start of the game. Axii has given me breathing room many times, even if the enemies don't outright attack each other yet, at least they ignore me for a while. Yrden definitely immobilizes enemies for a few seconds, but I guess they get a save against the effect. I've not used it much, but I've seen it work against Nekkers. As for the Aard thing... you're still attacking from the front? It's not that simple. It also seems each sign has a level, and they may improve with use or something. I'm not sure how it works, but I notice my Axii sign is level 3, for example.

I'm loving how this game forces me to use tools I normally ignore in these kinds of games. I fought a couple of enemies last night that more or less forced me to be prepared. I drank a few potions that would help against their particular attacks, set up traps in recognizable places I would be able to lure them across, used oil on my silver sword and used my signs during the combat itself. It made a world of difference. A nearly impossible fight became easy with the right preparations. I've managed to play the entire game on Normal so far, and I'm some way into chapter 1 so far.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 22, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2011, 01:37:40 AM

the witcher2 website says they are aware of the problems and are fixing them. 

I have full faith in these guys because of how hard they worked on the first game, continually improving it for a long time. 
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »

Troll trouble download.  I pre ordered from gog..  Registered the game..  says i need some sort of code to download.  Where do I find this code?

(scratch all that, I got it going)

Anyways, what do I think?  I keep playing with the graphics, and getting my ass kicked at the ballista...

Time to rtfm I guess lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:03:04 PM by Morgul » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 22, 2011, 04:15:21 PM »

Combat takes some getting used to - I did the first playthrough on Easy, and now on my second, and the prologue is a lot easier on Normal

basically, drink a potion, and ready your bombs and traps - they make a world of difference.

Think of it like Batman in the medieval ages - plan, prepare and THEN fight - its NOT an action game in the normal sense - you'll die a lot if you treat it like that :-)

A new one
map

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 22, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »

Also is anybody having trouble registering the game? I have the steam version.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:30:54 PM by map » Logged

Save America, shoot your television.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 22, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »

hmmmm, combat seems to be a lot easier now that I don't have my swords.  go figure.

Because I can,
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 22, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »

I'm not finished yet, but I must say this game is easily in my top 5 rpg's of all time, probably top 3 and it's just splitting hairs from there.  The opening sequences and play in chapter 2 on king Heslet's (sp?) side was awesome!

Does anyone else want to play in this game world as a Sorcerer?  They do some amazing stuff...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »

I really just want King Foltests armor - that is one scary well done npc!!

A new one
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Didn't help him much though, did it?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 22, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 22, 2011, 09:53:01 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Didn't help him much though, did it?

Spoiler for Hiden:
well if Geralt wasn't busy sunning himself...

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 23, 2011, 03:07:55 AM »

Not really feeling the love for this one yet, but am having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why.  I think the biggest problem is that it feels like I'm simply running around stumbling upon things by accident, rather than really having a clear goal or plan.  I'm sure some folks like that sort of haphazard discovery, but I'm not a big fan.  I always like to know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and and how to accomplish the task, rather than simply trying to guess or luck my way through (for their faults, this is something that Bioware RPGs excel at).  Not having any sort of indicator either directly on an NPC (i.e. an "!" above them) or on the map makes it very difficult to figure out what the hell I'm actually supposed to be doing.  I know you can sometimes track specific quests on the map, but I'm sure I'm probably missing a bunch of side stuff simply because I didn't happen to talk to the right NPC among all the other same-y looking NPC's. 

Still, the combat is still very fun, and I'm interested enough to keep giving it a shot.  At least for now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 23, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2011, 08:41:30 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2011, 04:14:03 AM

yeah, glad I'm playing a borrowed copy and didn't pay for this, I'd be ticked off otherwise.  I love how Aard knocks the knights with the shields to their knees and then you can't damage them.  Yrden doesn't seem to work as advertised either, I thought it said the sign was supposed to immobilize targets but they seem to be moving even when I can see they've tripped it, and I'll be damned if I've seen Axii work even on the least powerful enemy.

They all work, but not very effectively at the start of the game. Axii has given me breathing room many times, even if the enemies don't outright attack each other yet, at least they ignore me for a while. Yrden definitely immobilizes enemies for a few seconds, but I guess they get a save against the effect. I've not used it much, but I've seen it work against Nekkers. As for the Aard thing... you're still attacking from the front? It's not that simple. It also seems each sign has a level, and they may improve with use or something. I'm not sure how it works, but I notice my Axii sign is level 3, for example.

well f@#k me, apparently you need to hold down the Q key while casting Axii instead of just tapping it like the other spells.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: