http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Impressions, Mods and Mac in the fall!  (Read 23083 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2010, 03:28:02 PM »

Yep- Witcher 2 will import the decisions you make in TW1. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »

new screenshots in the gallery.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2010, 03:28:02 PM

Yep- Witcher 2 will import the decisions you make in TW1. 

ah...son of a...

i didn't bother copying over my save games from Witcher 1 after I upgraded my computer a few months ago because I didn't think I'd need 'em.   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »

there's plenty of time for a replay.......

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

pre-order video with some bewbies in the distance.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »

Dev Diary on the Engine.  Warning, there may be bewbs in the background.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »

Got this email a min ago. ill post it word for word..

It was three years ago that we published The Witcher, our debut title. We've been working on its sequel and revealing bits and pieces of information about it ever since that game hit store shelves. We learned a heap of things while working on the first game, enough to believe truly and deeply that The Witcher 2 will improve on its venerable predecessor and be a source of even more fun.

The release date for The Witcher 2 is approaching rapidly - all in all, it's just six months away. And that's the very reason for this message. Today, six months before the game premieres, we offer you a load of details about The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings as well as the opportunity to pre-order the title.

The Witcher 2, in a number of different digital and boxed editions, is now available for pre-order at any of the sites we've linked to below. Now, if we can have a moment of your time, we'd especially like you to look at and consider the offer at GOG.com.

GOG.com is a digital distribution platform. We (that is, CD Projekt RED) and GOG.com share the same parent company, which means that by ordering The Witcher 2 from GOG.com, you'll be giving practically 100% of your money to, and thus supporting, the company creating the game. Moreover, we think GOG has a great offer for you - one that's certainly worth a glance. Naturally, you'll be supporting us any time you acquire a legal copy of the game, so if for some reason the GOG.com offer doesn't strike your fancy, feel free to go to one of the many other sites offering The Witcher 2.

The offer at GOG.com is extraordinary for a number of reasons. We've often stated how much we dislike DRM measures that only limit the fun players derive from games they acquire legally. Here's our chance to translate those words into action. The Witcher 2 at GOG.com will be the first major production in the world to be digitally distributed without even a hint of DRM!!! Once you get the game, you'll play it without worrying if you have an active Internet connection, you'll back up your copy of the game freely and install it on as many computers as you have. In other words, you'll be getting a game that you'll enjoy without a whole heap of annoyances that would otherwise only hinder your pleasure!

GOG.com's offer is not only unique because of its approach to DRM. It's also uniquely priced: players from around the world will effectively acquire The Witcher 2 for 49.90 USD or its equivalent. GOG.com has also put together a pretty unique package - on top of all the things we've already mentioned, you'll be able to choose from among several Interplay/Black Isle RPG titles, legends in their own right (including Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment), normally available at the site. From GOG.com to you when you buy The Witcher 2 - free of charge.

Of course, the world doesn't end at GOG.com. Go to buy.thewitcher.com to see a full list of the vendors offering our title, each enhanced in its own way - some with additional DLC, others with 10% discounts.

And digital editions are just a start! A number of stores have already signed up to offer boxed editions of The Witcher 2. The Premium Edition will include Map of the World, Pamphlet and a coin, game guide, making-of video DVD, official game soundtrack and of course - the game itself - all at a standard price.

As you can see, we're doing what we can to offer you the best possible product on the best possible terms - and hopefully making you happy in the process.

Michał Kiciński, co-founder of CD Projekt

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »

Quote from: Appollo on November 26, 2010, 09:17:32 PM

Well, in about 30 mins the first version should be downloaded via steam and I can run through it and get ready for when this makes it out, I thought I read somewhere in here your character can come over to the new one, is that right?

so, how goes it?

Because I can,
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2010, 01:17:06 AM

Quote from: Appollo on November 26, 2010, 09:17:32 PM

Well, in about 30 mins the first version should be downloaded via steam and I can run through it and get ready for when this makes it out, I thought I read somewhere in here your character can come over to the new one, is that right?

so, how goes it?

Well slowly, but very enjoyable experience, still wrapping my mind around this silver and iron sword concept, one cool sword that is good for all I would like alot better.

I am have just got out of prison and sorta wandering around a bit aimlessly, got ganged up on coming out of some dudes door and got wiped out so I haven't touched it for a week, ya asking this question has me thinking it's time to go back and sort them out.

Reading that in 6 months the next is out I'll give this a run through and see how it goes and work out if I need to do it again to set up a cool save point for the new one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »

just got this email:
Hello again fans of The Wicher,

Sorry for inundating your mailbox again, but probably because of some evil gnomes there was a mistake in the last newsletter which could create some confusion. The pre-order offer for The Witcher 2 at GOG.com indeed includes 5 classic RPGs to choose from as a free gift that comes if you buy the new adventures of the brave Geralt. The games are, exactly as it was stated on the GOG.com website from the beginning: Beyond Divinity, Divine Divinity, Gothic 2 Gold, Realms of Arkania 1+2 or Realms of Arkania 3. This is one of the sweetest deals out there!

We're sorry for any confusion the last newsletter might have created. Please keep an eye on The Witcher 2 and GOG.com!

I guess the Bioware/Interplay titles listed here:

It was three years ago that we published The Witcher, our debut title. We've been working on its sequel and revealing bits and pieces of information about it ever since that game hit store shelves. We learned a heap of things while working on the first game, enough to believe truly and deeply that The Witcher 2 will improve on its venerable predecessor and be a source of even more fun.

The release date for The Witcher 2 is approaching rapidly - all in all, it's just six months away. And that's the very reason for this message. Today, six months before the game premieres, we offer you a load of details about The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings as well as the opportunity to pre-order the title.

The Witcher 2, in a number of different digital and boxed editions, is now available for pre-order at any of the sites we've linked to below. Now, if we can have a moment of your time, we'd especially like you to look at and consider the offer at GOG.com.

GOG.com is a digital distribution platform. We (that is, CD Projekt RED) and GOG.com share the same parent company, which means that by ordering The Witcher 2 from GOG.com, you'll be giving practically 100% of your money to, and thus supporting, the company creating the game. Moreover, we think GOG has a great offer for you - one that's certainly worth a glance. Naturally, you'll be supporting us any time you acquire a legal copy of the game, so if for some reason the GOG.com offer doesn't strike your fancy, feel free to go to one of the many other sites offering The Witcher 2.

The offer at GOG.com is extraordinary for a number of reasons. We've often stated how much we dislike DRM measures that only limit the fun players derive from games they acquire legally. Here's our chance to translate those words into action. The Witcher 2 at GOG.com will be the first major production in the world to be digitally distributed without even a hint of DRM!!! Once you get the game, you'll play it without worrying if you have an active Internet connection, you'll back up your copy of the game freely and install it on as many computers as you have. In other words, you'll be getting a game that you'll enjoy without a whole heap of annoyances that would otherwise only hinder your pleasure!

GOG.com's offer is not only unique because of its approach to DRM. It's also uniquely priced: players from around the world will effectively acquire The Witcher 2 for 49.90 USD or its equivalent. GOG.com has also put together a pretty unique package - on top of all the things we've already mentioned, you'll be able to choose from among several Interplay/Black Isle RPG titles, legends in their own right (including Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment), normally available at the site. From GOG.com to you when you buy The Witcher 2 - free of charge.

Of course, the world doesn't end at GOG.com. Go to buy.thewitcher.com to see a full list of the vendors offering our title, each enhanced in its own way - some with additional DLC, others with 10% discounts.

And digital editions are just a start! A number of stores have already signed up to offer boxed editions of The Witcher 2. The Premium Edition will include Map of the World, Pamphlet and a coin, game guide, making-of video DVD, official game soundtrack and of course - the game itself - all at a standard price.

As you can see, we're doing what we can to offer you the best possible product on the best possible terms - and hopefully making you happy in the process.

Michał Kiciński, co-founder of CD Projekt

was a mistake.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »

Well slowly, but very enjoyable experience, still wrapping my mind around this silver and iron sword concept, one cool sword that is good for all I would like alot better.

I am not sure why the two sword things bugs you, but you do know this whole thing is based on a character from books right?  He uses the two swords in the books, and the magic things, etc..

Witchers use two swords, legalos uses a bow, etc..   I do not think they can really change that sort of stuff when they make a game or fans would howl.

BTW, they have the books in the itunes bookstore. Go Go ipad bookreading.   The one I just read was like tons of little short stories.  Pretty good, but I like the game better.   
(Geralts seems to screw everything in the books too..)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »

I liked that he had to use weapons with different properties to fight the different types of foes.  It added some science (metalurgy) to the art of being a witcher, while still being consistent to already established fictional lore about supernatural creatures.  Even their handling of alchemy has more of a scientific feel to it than other fantasy games, albeit with fantastic results.  Mechanically I didn't find it too tough to switch between weapons on the fly, especially since the game tends to throw like enemies at you most of the time.  The tough part for me was deciding how I would level up both types of weapons (and the fighting styles).  I think I ended up taking a balanced approach, which worked well.   
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on December 15, 2010, 06:02:28 PM

I am not sure why the two sword things bugs you, but you do know this whole thing is based on a character from books right?  He uses the two swords in the books, and the magic things, etc..

Witchers use two swords, legalos uses a bow, etc..   I do not think they can really change that sort of stuff when they make a game or fans would howl.

BTW, they have the books in the itunes bookstore. Go Go ipad bookreading.   The one I just read was like tons of little short stories.  Pretty good, but I like the game better.   
(Geralts seems to screw everything in the books too..)

Thanks, I didn't know that this was based on a already made story with it's own canon, it makes more sense to me knowing that.

I'll just adapt to it and continue on.

I have realy struggled with the rpg side in that I worry about what I should be leveling up first, my style of game play has always been wade in and kill up close and personal (only time it differs is if I get a sniper rifle) and not knowing anything about silver and iron swords and the different power thingies makes it a bit of a hit and miss, I do love that push one and then you get to impale them if they were knocked down. I won't touch the alchemist side of things unless it becomes apparent that it is something that is required.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »

Quote from: Appollo on December 15, 2010, 09:35:21 PM

I won't touch the alchemist side of things unless it becomes apparent that it is something that is required.

It's not required, but a little effort put into understanding the options available to you will make the game considerably easier for you. Some battles would get very difficult if you don't use potions. There's a reason why even the intro shows an extended sequence of Geralt consuming a potion in preparation for battle.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

I tend toward melee players in single-player RPGs.  By the end of the game I was able to fill out almost all the silver and steel sword options, plus a handful of alchemy and magic ones.  You should get enough bronze points to choose pretty much every skill.  The silver points, less so, and the gold points probably only enough for a couple trees.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »

You'll also see that some of the skills are useless in the grand scheme of things. I usually saved the boxing ones for last, and then there was one for cutting the amount you are drunk down, and the ones that took effect when an enemy was below 15% health or so (when they got that low there were soon to be dead anyways) were always last to get points. Some of te spells tto, like the trap one.

Because I can,
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »

Cool, thanks guys, I'll look into the potion side of things if only to understand the ones that will be of maximum benefit to me.

Think a visit to Wiki land might provide some clues on whats what.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »

Quote from: Appollo on December 15, 2010, 10:22:32 PM

Think a visit to Wiki land might provide some clues on whats what.

That's exactly what I did too.  I wasn't using alchemy, and I wanted to get a better understanding of the basics.  In hindsight, I'm glad I did.  By the middle to late game Geralt was a walking apothecary.  It does make a difference.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »

insane mode.  you die it's game over man, GAME OVER!

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2010, 12:55:21 AM »

I'm glad they're offering a difficulty level with some real consequences...dying in real life.  It seems kind of steep to me, dying for real, so I probably won't try it, but I'm sure others here would.  

Edited:  Nevermind...they meant just losing your character.  Wake me up when they offer a difficulty where I can really prove my manliness (in a fantasy rpg).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:58:25 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 17, 2010, 05:10:22 PM

So people will play this and finish the game? Wow. I really hate repeating things in games, so this is not for me. Imagine losing the final boss battle.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:44 AM »

I just put in my pre-order at.... Direct2Drive.  25% off the already knocked down price of $44.95 was just too good to pass up.

Because I can,
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 17, 2010, 05:10:22 PM

That might interesting to try for a second playthrough.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »

huh.. I was telling a friend about the pre-order now pay later deal at GOG and found out it's not up on their site anymore.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2_preorder/

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 22, 2011, 05:56:49 PM

thanks, I'll pass it on.  it's weird that it's not on the front page anymore nor does it show up using search.

[edit]  ah, I see, it's buried a couple of levels on the scrolling menu.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:06:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »

Apologies for the quick hijacking, but how good does the first Witcher get?  I played the opening castle twice and, while I wasn't bored, I just never motivated enough to play on.  Is it worth it?  Good dungeons, towns, quick moving plot?  I know, I am going to dig up some reviews, but I am curious what you guys think.  I like my RPGs more brutal like Conan, but not too menu-deep like AD&D-esque arcane rules.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »

I haven't played the enhanced version yet, but IIRC they did tweak the first chapter. But I remember from the 2nd chapter on the game was nothing short of amazing. The first chapter sorta sucked because you have like 1 attack and few skills. You can't do alchemy or anything else. The first chapter is by far the weakest, but only goes up from there. The good news is, if you skip all the side quests it really doesn't take long to get pass it.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »

I found it refreshing to play a true character, not a generic choose-your-class-and-name npc. Geralt has his own thoughts and ideas, and it's nice to roleplay him (instead of all the goody-goodies I usually end up with). The game just oozes atmosphere, but it isn't fast or flashy. It's more the atmosphere of the entire game (music, sound effects, quest log, conversations, little details in the environment, the alchemy...) that just fits, and really creates a universe you can believe in.

And for what it's worth, I too gave up half-way chapter 1 in my first play-through, only to restart a year later and persevere. It's worth it, it does get better. But you do need to take your time, and try to immerse yourself into this believable world that's created.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on January 23, 2011, 05:11:56 PM

Apologies for the quick hijacking, but how good does the first Witcher get?  I played the opening castle twice and, while I wasn't bored, I just never motivated enough to play on.  Is it worth it?  Good dungeons, towns, quick moving plot?  I know, I am going to dig up some reviews, but I am curious what you guys think.  I like my RPGs more brutal like Conan, but not too menu-deep like AD&D-esque arcane rules.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Kaer Morhen is the tutorial level and the game gets a lot more interesting.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »

I am jonsing for some witcher...  I want a demo, or the game soon.

All these FPS/3rd person shooters are making me long for some good old steel and my lil dwarf non human buddy...

I want it NOW!!   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

GOG has upped the ante with a new addition to their pre-order deal:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why do we brag about it? Because today the offer just got even better! If you already pre-ordered The Witcher 2 on GOG, or you're going to do it, among instant goodies you receive for free (including MP3 tracks, wallpapers and more), now you can download 5 exclusive concept artworks from the game! You won't find them anywhere else.

game over other companies, game over.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »

better than bioware bribing you with content that could be included in the game at no cost.  Roll Eyes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »

Got some press conference videos for everyone. It details what the different versions are and pt 2 is a lot about GOG.com offerings on it.

Pt 1

Pt 2

They run a little long but are very informative. Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2011, 01:17:38 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 09, 2011, 09:03:01 AM

better than bioware bribing you with content that could be included in the game at no cost.  Roll Eyes

they just seem so excited about it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »

dev diary 4, but not in English.  it shows a bunch of locations from the game.

[edit] the sound seems to crap out about halfway through,
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:33:06 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 10, 2011, 01:31:05 AM

dev diary 4, but not in English.  it shows a bunch of locations from the game.

[edit] the sound seems to crap out about halfway through,

English subtitled version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-t81z_bvhU

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »

Dev comments on Dragon Age 2 graphics

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

a gallery of magazine cover art for the game.

all of them with the damn ponytail.

I swear, first Geralt skin without the ponytail that comes out I'm grabbing it, even if it's him wearing a tutu.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: