http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 04:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 1.5 is out today, Enhanced Directors Cut due July 31st  (Read 8544 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 04, 2009, 12:53:39 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on August 03, 2009, 10:39:00 PM

If you check the front page, we have uploaded the 1.5 patch and the director's cut patch.

Wow, you guys will do anything to get us to the front page huh?  slywink

I had to get a quick say in.  I was going to link it but I am at work  ninja

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »

Back when I played I used a nocd patch on my exe so the 1.4 patch would not install so I just quit playing. Months later I deleted it. Now I need to buy the new version to get all the good stuff. Its ok because my friend is playing my copy. I want it all! smile Waiting on a Steam sale.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

I have a question for you all:

I purchased this game via the Steam sale, and I'm just loving it. Problem is, I'm having graphic issues during chat scenes.

In short, it looks like the game is rendering not quite my monitor resolution. The best way to describe it is that I can see 'blocks' all across the screen, like if say AA was being borked completely or something. This never happens anywhere else during the game (running around, inventory, etc). It's not game breaking, but it's just annoying.

Any thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 11, 2009, 07:26:39 PM

I have a question for you all:

I purchased this game via the Steam sale, and I'm just loving it. Problem is, I'm having graphic issues during chat scenes.

In short, it looks like the game is rendering not quite my monitor resolution. The best way to describe it is that I can see 'blocks' all across the screen, like if say AA was being borked completely or something. This never happens anywhere else during the game (running around, inventory, etc). It's not game breaking, but it's just annoying.

Any thoughts?

Check out this thread.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

From the FAQ:

Q: Cut-scenes blurryness when using 16:10 resolutions ( 1280x800 / 1440x900 / 1680x1050 / 1920x1200 / 2560x1600 / 3840x2400 / 5120x3200 / 7680x4800 )

A: Forcing 4x or 16x Anisotropy in the video card control panel and setting in-game Advanced options to 4x or 16x Anisotropy should ameliorate or cure this.

Goofy ass fix. How does the game not properly support 16:10 resolutions?

That said - it does fix it. Thanks for the help.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »

I started to read that and thought 'I run in 16:10 and never had that issue', then saw the solution and figured out why.  Unless it kills the framerate I always run that way.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2009, 09:04:27 PM

I started to read that and thought 'I run in 16:10 and never had that issue', then saw the solution and figured out why.  Unless it kills the framerate I always run that way.

The problem is that you have to set AF in both sections - doing it in the game itself just masks it a bit, and doing it forced under the NVidia Control Panel does the same. You gotta do it in both spots.

Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of 1.5? The link on their website leads nowhere and Filefront's copy was corrupted.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 02:37:27 AM »

Got this on Steam this weekend... really having a great time with it.  I'm very impressed so far and just started Chapter II, I believe.

gellar
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 02:48:58 AM »

I couldn't pass up the sale and bought it... it's still downloading.

It said it needs 14GB of space? wtf?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2009, 02:48:58 AM

Yeah it took hella long to download for me... not totally sure what the overall size was, but it was big, yo.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:20 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 12, 2009, 02:49:59 AM

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2009, 02:48:58 AM

Yeah it took hella long to download for me... not totally sure what the overall size was, but it was big, yo.

gellar

yeah, took the plunge and then got that notice it was that big.  the store page said 8.5 gig required.  90 minutes later and it's at 33%, guess I won't be playing tonight.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 07:14:26 AM »

well, finally got it downloaded.  I'm not sure if it's the latest patch or my new video card but damn the game is running smooth.  it took me a few minutes to get used to it.  on another plus side I seem to have avoid the 16:10 bug with having only the game set to 16x AF and leaving the settings in the nVidia Control Panel at application controlled.

looking over the file directory I'm guessing the 5 new adventures is what makes it so big.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

What are the new adventures, anyway? Something you play once you're done with the game itself I'm assuming?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 12, 2009, 02:36:32 PM

What are the new adventures, anyway? Something you play once you're done with the game itself I'm assuming?

yeah, as far as I can tell from the descriptions they don't have anything to do with the main story, and 5 of them are fan created.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »

If you check the front page, we have uploaded the 1.5 patch and the director's cut patch.

Any chance these are still available?  the link on the Witcher web page is still borked for the ehnaced edition.

Edit:

Scratch that found it here.....
http://witchervault.ign.com/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:32:11 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »

Quote from: morlac on August 12, 2009, 05:28:45 PM

Any chance these are still available?  the link on the Witcher web page is still borked for the ehnaced edition.

Edit:

Scratch that found it here.....
http://witchervault.ign.com/

If anyone else needs the link:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/video/witcher_DC_and_update.zip

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »

Reinstalled this in anticipation of the sequel and having a weird graphical issue. Previously all was fine on Nvidia card ('latest drivers') under Vista 32 but now with 64bit Windows 7 the lighting is... odd... and wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this. My google-fu didn't turn anything up on the topic last night.

In addition to everything being very... "glow-y"... the biggest thing are the dang torches. I can see the 'fire' from each and every one of them no matter if they are many walls away. This leaves multiple "firefly" like spots floating around in cutscenes and during gameplay. I've tried various option changes, including dropping lighting down to low, to no effect.

Any thoughts?  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 30, 2010, 01:55:37 PM

Reinstalled this in anticipation of the sequel and having a weird graphical issue. Previously all was fine on Nvidia card ('latest drivers') under Vista 32 but now with 64bit Windows 7 the lighting is... odd... and wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this. My google-fu didn't turn anything up on the topic last night.

In addition to everything being very... "glow-y"... the biggest thing are the dang torches. I can see the 'fire' from each and every one of them no matter if they are many walls away. This leaves multiple "firefly" like spots floating around in cutscenes and during gameplay. I've tried various option changes, including dropping lighting down to low, to no effect.

Hrmm..   Just played it a couple months ago on win 7 64 and didnt have any problems..   Except "slow downs" in the swamp area, which drove me nuts.  My card is a radeon though.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on November 30, 2010, 02:13:53 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 30, 2010, 01:55:37 PM

Hrmm..   Just played it a couple months ago on win 7 64 and didnt have any problems..   Except "slow downs" in the swamp area, which drove me nuts.  My card is a radeon though.

Interesting. This turns out to be an SLI issue, disable it and the problem goes away. I wonder if that means I'd have to do that before/after every Witcher gaming session or if I can control that... elsewhere / automagically?  icon_frown

-craig

Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

I believe http://www.nhancer.com/ can set up custom graphic setting by game for you and one of those is disable SLI.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on December 01, 2010, 11:51:57 AM

I believe http://www.nhancer.com/ can set up custom graphic setting by game for you and one of those is disable SLI.

Thanks, I found that last night and was hopeful but it turns out the latest version doesn't support the new 25x.xx and higher drivers, it just starts and then shuts down.  icon_frown I could roll back to older drivers but not sure I want to do that, may give their beta release a shot... if they existed. Finally found the huge thread at the official Witcher forums on the issue.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:00:31 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »

I decided to resurrect one of the Witcher threads, since it's likely many here will have picked it up in the 2010 Steam Holiday sale. There's about 5 Witcher threads here, but this seemed to have the most recent with a post from the 1st of this month. This one also seemed particular to the newer DC version that Steam sells now.  I've just barely scraped the surface of the game, but I'm finding I don't care for the get you answers from dialog boxes in-game approach the dev's took. I like to go into RPG's with some depth by knowing a fair amount of the play mechanics before hand. On the other hand I'm a bit leery about sifting through threads here in fear of uncovering some spoilers.  icon_confused
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »

I picked it up yesterday as well and played for about an hour.  I had to decide which control scheme I wanted to go with, but I think I finally settle for the action one.  One thing I don't like is there seems to be a good bit of tearing in the graphics, but no vsync option.  Still, the story is interesting so far and makes me want to play more.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 23, 2010, 05:06:30 PM

I picked it up yesterday as well and played for about an hour.  I had to decide which control scheme I wanted to go with, but I think I finally settle for the action one.  One thing I don't like is there seems to be a good bit of tearing in the graphics, but no vsync option.  Still, the story is interesting so far and makes me want to play more.

If you have a Nvidia GPU you can set vsync on for specific games from within the Nvidia Control Panel. I would expect a similar feature exists for the ATI GPU's. I went with the mouse+keyboard control scheme, because I like RPG's that give me the option of going with a more action oriented play experience.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:38:40 PM by kronovan » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 23, 2010, 05:29:06 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 23, 2010, 05:06:30 PM

I picked it up yesterday as well and played for about an hour.  I had to decide which control scheme I wanted to go with, but I think I finally settle for the action one.  One thing I don't like is there seems to be a good bit of tearing in the graphics, but no vsync option.  Still, the story is interesting so far and makes me want to play more.

If you have a Nvidia GPU you can set vsync on for specific games from within the Nvidia Control Panel. I would expect a similar feature exists for the ATI GPU's. I went with the mouse+keyboard control scheme, because I like RPG's that give me the option of going with a more action oriented play experience.

Yeah, I have an ATI and can turn on it globally (and I just looked and it actually is turned on).  So, not sure why I still see the tearing.

The thing I don't like about the isometric one is that you control the camera by moving to the screen edge.  I found I just hated that control scheme.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

I never switched out of the OTS camera for this one after taking a glance at the isometric one and don't feel tge game suffered for it.  You're solo in the game, so you really don't to worry about the bigger picture.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »

Gotta tell you--the opening cinematic sequence in this game is very impressive; one of the best I've seen. I love games that have bad-asses as protagonists. Geralt reminds of Dante from the first 'Devil May Cry'. Totally dig this opening cinematic!

Played about 45 mins of the game and I'm impressed. Feels like a rock-solid action-RPG. Will spend more time with it.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2010, 03:53:39 AM »

I haven't played this in two years but after reading about it over and over and seeing it on sale I've decided to reinstall and go again.  Too bad my disc is 1.0 and it doesn't look like I have the 1.4 or 1.5 patches anymore frown  Off to download another couple gigs.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »

Quote from: ericb on December 26, 2010, 03:53:39 AM

I haven't played this in two years but after reading about it over and over and seeing it on sale I've decided to reinstall and go again.  Too bad my disc is 1.0 and it doesn't look like I have the 1.4 or 1.5 patches anymore frown  Off to download another couple gigs.

yeah, this is why i picked it up for 5 bucks on steam. it's a pain in the butt to install that enhance pack. I did all that and never got around to even playing it, heh.

also over the shoulder, really? I could not stand that view. it felt was too constricting to see what was going on around you.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 26, 2010, 11:22:19 AM

Quote from: ericb on December 26, 2010, 03:53:39 AM

yeah, this is why i picked it up for 5 bucks on steam. it's a pain in the butt to install that enhance pack. I did all that and never got around to even playing it, heh.

also over the shoulder, really? I could not stand that view. it felt was too constricting to see what was going on around you.
it could be your lucky day then ericb as steam put it back on sale

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »

Bastards...I have the game...but just purchased it through steam, for ease of use... they really know what they are doing!

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2010, 01:17:58 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on December 26, 2010, 06:40:06 PM

Bastards...I have the game...but just purchased it through steam, for ease of use... they really know what they are doing!

hell, i have not only done that (just recently with splinter cell chaos theory and x3) but i have also considered it for games i bought on other DL services.  i haven't actually done it yet though, as tempting as it has been. 

i have got more than one copy of a DL game but it was due to the indie bundle

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

Started playing the steam version a bit, and one thing seems strange - I am convinced that in the last game I played, I had to choose at the beginning whether to stay at the frigthener monster or go somewhere else right at the beginning at the game - There is no such thing here...anyone who can tell me if I'm misremembering or they changed something?

edit: nevermind, it seems I was too impatient :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:28:01 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 02, 2011, 01:03:40 PM

edit: nevermind, it seems I was too impatient :-)

patience young grasshopper  Tongue

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I didn't want to start yet another Witcher thread.

So, I reinstalled this, having bought it years ago and never having played past Act 1. Few questions:

I installed the base game, patched it up to 1.4, then 1.5. I'm using a Win7 64-bit machine. At some point I started getting an error message saying that the Tages driver was incompatible with my system and would be disabled. As I recall, tages was the system that made your game degrade if it wasn't legit. On the other hand, I thought 1.5 was supposed to remove DRM. Will this mess up my game?

What's all this I hear about a director's cut? I know I've installed the enhanced edition (1.4). Should I be looking for yet another patch?

And on the subject of patches, what's this about a blood patch? I'm fairly sure I bought the import edition. I don't care so much about the boobiez, but what I've played through so far (and it's not much) has been pretty bloodless.

Thanks,
Ike

Edit:  Another question!  I had thought that the EE came with a pdf game guide, but I can't find it.  Do I have to download it, or is it somewhere on my hard drive?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:34:32 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 04, 2011, 10:43:25 AM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I didn't want to start yet another Witcher thread.

So, I reinstalled this, having bought it years ago and never having played past Act 1. Few questions:

I installed the base game, patched it up to 1.4, then 1.5. I'm using a Win7 64-bit machine. At some point I started getting an error message saying that the Tages driver was incompatible with my system and would be disabled. As I recall, tages was the system that made your game degrade if it wasn't legit. On the other hand, I thought 1.5 was supposed to remove DRM. Will this mess up my game?

What's all this I hear about a director's cut? I know I've installed the enhanced edition (1.4). Should I be looking for yet another patch?

And on the subject of patches, what's this about a blood patch? I'm fairly sure I bought the import edition. I don't care so much about the boobiez, but what I've played through so far (and it's not much) has been pretty bloodless.

Thanks,
Ike

Edit:  Another question!  I had thought that the EE came with a pdf game guide, but I can't find it.  Do I have to download it, or is it somewhere on my hard drive?

My manual is in the location: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher and it's just called manual.pdf.

The EE is 1.4.  The director's cut is 1.5:

Patch 1.5 update for The Witcher. You will need to have version 1.4 (aka the Enhanced Edition) installed first.
Modifications:

Copy securities (DRM) are removed
    Playing the game no longer requires the game disc in the drive
    Patch solves problems with EAX and blurred graphics

Additionally:

5 bonus adventures made by the Witcher community: 'Deceits,' 'Blight of the Bogs,' 'Wraiths of Quiet Hamlet,' 'The Wedding,' Merry Witchmas.'

If you have the extra adventures then you should have 1.5 installed.  I believe the patch doesn't always remove Tages completely when it's Windows 7.  There are some other instructions out there to remove it completely...can't find the link at the moment.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »

Right.  Thanks, ericb. I found the manual. I can't find the guide that was supposed to come with it.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 04, 2011, 05:30:32 PM

Right.  Thanks, ericb. I found the manual. I can't find the guide that was supposed to come with it.

Sorry, I was thinking guide=manual and I shouldn't have smile

Here are the instructions on the TAGES from their FAQ:

Q: How to remove TAGES ? ( while using patch 1.5 )

A: Given that patch 1.5 removes the copy protection scheme known as TAGES from the game executable, here is how to remove TAGES from your system.

First of all you must establish if TAGES is needed by any other games that you have installed, unfortunately we can't do that for you, so you will need to look it up on your installed games EULA or online on a site like this.

Presuming that you don't have any other game that needs TAGES, you can carry on, get the latest TAGES executable, for your Windows 32bit or Windows 64bit, from here, and run it.

You will get one of two possible dialogue windows:
* if you are asked if you want to install TAGES, it means that TAGES is not installed on your system, so you will just press NO and that's it ( iirc, the original game updated with patch 1.4 works even without the TAGES system files ).
* if you are asked if you want to uninstall TAGES, it means you have TAGES installed on your system, so you will just press YES and that's it. You might check by yourself if the files were removed, by searching for atksgt.sys and lirsgt.sys files in the WINDOWS\system32\drivers or WINDOWS\sysWOW64\drivers folder, and you could even do a Windows reboot just to be sure the devices are unloaded from the running system.

If you have other games that use TAGES, and you did remove TAGES from your system, when those games are run you might get:
* the game asking for the DVD or just stopping/crashing, meaning that you need TAGES in your system, so you need to run the TAGES installer ( again ) and install TAGES in your system.
* the game automatically installing the needed TAGES files without user input so you end up with a working game, but with TAGES in your system too.

Remember that patch 1.5 removes the need for the TAGES code/files only from The Witcher.

EDIT: for anyone playing (or replaying in my case) there is an undocumented auto loot key.  Just hold down crtl when you click to loot and it will auto-loot anything you can carry.  This will save you hundreds of mouse movements and clicks smile
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:14:01 AM by ericb » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »

free backup copy of Witcher 1 is now on GOG with your registration code.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: