http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:37:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Witcher 1.5 is out today, Enhanced Directors Cut due July 31st  (Read 8831 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »

and it removes the DRM plus the disc check, so if you play you don't have to have the DVD in the drive.  plus it will have 5 fan created adventures, which reminds me I need to finisht the ones that came with the Enhanced patch.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:12:23 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

This game just keeps giving. 

morlac00 on PSN
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »

Which makes the cancellation of the console port that much more painful. :/ I had hoped the series would gain a stronger following with the console release.

Hopefully the inevitable sequel will have good sales; the Witcher is one of the strongest new pc titles (or game series in general) I've seen in a -long- time.
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »

So.. if I was in the mood for a good CRPG and knowing that the last one I got into and played was BG2 no expansion would I like this.

I do have Oblivion and Fallout 3 but havn't finished either as I run out of steam with the same sameness of it, mind you I enjoy modding the heck out of them just to see the stuff in there .. but to actually get into and enjoy the story and the gameplay is what I mean.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »

Quote from: Appollo on June 03, 2009, 09:21:22 AM

So.. if I was in the mood for a good CRPG and knowing that the last one I got into and played was BG2 no expansion would I like this.

Yes.  Get it.  It has far more in common with Bioware RPGs than the Bethesda games. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »

definitely worth it.  I'm going to be replaying it again for a fourth time over the summer while there's no new games to play.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »

Best RPG I have played in years.  Definite buy especially with all the extras they have been throwing in.

morlac00 on PSN
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »

I didn't see a release date. Any idea when this is coming out?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 03, 2009, 05:41:35 PM

I didn't see a release date. Any idea when this is coming out?

After the Enhanced patch delays they are probably playing it safe and only saying 'soon'.

Because I can,
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »

Quote from: CDProjekt
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut

will there be an Enhanced Edition Final Cut next?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

Think they'll drop the price of this to the $20 range?  Or is the plan to keep the retail price of the game perpetually in the $40 range by constantly releasing new versions with slightly more content?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 03, 2009, 08:18:44 PM

Think they'll drop the price of this to the $20 range?  Or is the plan to keep the retail price of the game perpetually in the $40 range by constantly releasing new versions with slightly more content?

Are you going to start a Steam group boycotting it if they don't?  Tongue

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2009, 09:52:41 PM

No, I'm just not interested enough in the game to spend $40 on it, but I'd be interested at $20.  I'm not all up in arms about it, just surprised that after being on the market as long as it has, that they haven't lowered the price.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 03, 2009, 09:56:43 PM

No, I'm just not interested enough in the game to spend $40 on it, but I'd be interested at $20.  I'm not all up in arms about it, just surprised that after being on the market as long as it has, that they haven't lowered the price.

I'm still dumbfounded how Blizzard can be selling Diablo Battle Chest for $39.99.  saywhat  That game is 10 years old and looks like shit on any modern computer. I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:35 PM »

I know, I was just making a joke after reading the L4D2 threads thing about those fans up in arms  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 03, 2009, 08:04:53 PM

Quote from: CDProjekt
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut

will there be an Enhanced Edition Final Cut next?

I certainly hope so  icon_smile

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »

Pretty sure I payed $30 for it awhile ago. 

morlac00 on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:39:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2009, 10:22:35 PM

I know, I was just making a joke after reading the L4D2 threads thing about those fans up in arms  icon_biggrin

I know, damn it! Let me be defensive in peace!  slywink

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:43 AM »

Man, sometime I need to set aside several weeks so I can actually play this game.  Maybe when that Ultimate Final Extended Cut comes out...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »

You know, it's hard to complain about them continually adding to the first game, but as someone who has finished it and doesn't see a huge need to replay it, I'd rather they devote their resources to the sequel.  Releasing yet another version (at least the 3rd in NA) looks a bit like overkill.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 04:03:18 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 04, 2009, 03:56:43 AM

Man, sometime I need to set aside several weeks so I can actually play this game.  Maybe when that Ultimate Final Extended Cut comes out...

you forgot to add on RemiXXX Hyper Alpha 2.

Because I can,
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »

You can still buy the original Witcher for under 15 bucks from Amazon and upgrade FOR FREE to the enhanced version via download.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:25 PM »

When is 1.5 coming?

Other than DRM removal and the fan-made adventures , does it add or change anything else about the game? I'm about ready to restart playing it, but if 1.5 is going to make it better, I can wait for it.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 04, 2009, 04:03:04 AM

You know, it's hard to complain about them continually adding to the first game, but as someone who has finished it and doesn't see a huge need to replay it, I'd rather they devote their resources to the sequel.  Releasing yet another version (at least the 3rd in NA) looks a bit like overkill.

It's a DRM/CD check removal and some FAN made adventures.  Not sure how many resources that took to throw together. 

morlac00 on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:44 AM »

Quote from: morlac on June 05, 2009, 02:26:44 AM

It's a DRM/CD check removal and some FAN made adventures.  Not sure how many resources that took to throw together. 

Exactly!  It might have taken them all months of hard work, delaying the sequel even further!
 icon_lol

Still doesn't change my overall sense that they've ran with this particular game for about as long as they should.  Other devs don't announce a new version for when they release the patches that kill the copy protection or decide to offer some fan-made adventures.  They simply put them up on a website and let us have them if we want them.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

Didn't they bundle some fan made adventures into one of the NWN retail releases? 
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 05, 2009, 02:35:44 AM

Exactly!  It might have taken them all months of hard work, delaying the sequel even further!
 icon_lol

Still doesn't change my overall sense that they've ran with this particular game for about as long as they should.  Other devs don't announce a new version for when they release the patches that kill the copy protection or decide to offer some fan-made adventures.  They simply put them up on a website and let us have them if we want them.

Well, the first major overhaul was offered free for those who had purchased the first version, so I would imagine that this one would be too.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 07, 2009, 04:46:47 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 05, 2009, 02:35:44 AM

icon_lol

Well, the first major overhaul was offered free for those who had purchased the first version, so I would imagine that this one would be too.

it is going to be free:

As usual the patch containing the additional content will be available to download for free from our website for all registered The Witcher and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition owners!

Because I can,
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »

Now that they're removing DRM, you don't have to buy it.  ninja

Ale
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 10:03:18 PM »

is there a blood mod or something? or a "blood" setting? There is no blood in the game, and no settings that I can see.

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on June 08, 2009, 10:03:18 PM

is there a blood mod or something? or a "blood" setting? There is no blood in the game, and no settings that I can see.

i believe there were some (all?) pressings of the North American pressing of the Enhanced Edition that removed the blood from the game. if this describes you, get the 'blood patch' here.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

this new patch is due July 8th.  good timing, I've been feeling the itch to play again.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2009, 03:49:00 PM

this new patch is due July 8th.  good timing, I've been feeling the itch to play again.

Me, too.  In fact, I've booted it up at least three times before remembering the patch was inbound. I've held off each time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 01:49:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2009, 03:49:00 PM

I reinstalled the game yesterday and going to wait for the new patch before start playing again.

While looking for info about the new patch, I stumbled into an old interview (nothing about the patch but interesting background on the team that developed the game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=189

Wherever it was possible we tried to avoid typical but unrealistic solutions - unlimited inventory, health potions left in all possible places, e. g. in the corpses of drowned dead or dogs.

Geralt doesn't gather all the scrap-iron and doesn't fit five plate mails into his backpack slywink. For one thing it wouldn't be realistic and for another thing he doesn't need it. We decided that Geralt would be able to carry as many weapons as he could fit onto himself and that they would all be visible.

We didn't want the vision of the game to be in any way distorted or damped. An odd example of that occured during a conversation with a publisher who said that on account of their market research players overall want their protagonist to be an elfish woman and that if we had changed The Witcher accordingly they would have considered negotiating a contract smile.

Our future products are planned to be less linear - taking it so far that depending on our choices we'll be able to visit totally different locations. In addition to that the player will have more freedom in dealing with simple quests. Of course we also refined the system we used to do dialog scenes. And thanks to the experience we gained we're far more skilled in planning the flow of events and challenges, avoiding such mistakes as the overly long prologue slywink

However, this wasn't the main reason why the game wasn't an ideal product deserving 99% ratings smile. The main reason was our lack of experience. RPGs are truly one of the most extensive genres, striving to comprehensively depict the real world. We can probably be blamed for not doing this and that better, but to be honest, I'm quite happy we just managed to finish the project and all in all have a not bad result. You've got to remember that The Witcher was created by a totally new team. Only a small part had experience in game development and we're talking less complicated games of much smaller scope here

I hope it was not just a beginner's luck. smile
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »

We didn't want the vision of the game to be in any way distorted or damped. An odd example of that occured during a conversation with a publisher who said that on account of their market research players overall want their protagonist to be an elfish woman and that if we had changed The Witcher accordingly they would have considered negotiating a contract

Lol, this one is funny. Is there even a game with an elfish woman as a protagonist (besides WoW and other MMOs)? I think that publisher was trying to make his secret fantasy come true. smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on July 07, 2009, 01:34:17 PM

We didn't want the vision of the game to be in any way distorted or damped. An odd example of that occured during a conversation with a publisher who said that on account of their market research players overall want their protagonist to be an elfish woman and that if we had changed The Witcher accordingly they would have considered negotiating a contract

Lol, this one is funny. Is there even a game with an elfish woman as a protagonist (besides WoW and other MMOs)? I think that publisher was trying to make his secret fantasy come true. smile

I don't think they meant to force the player to be an elf woman. They probably just wanted the player to be able to choose among (or create) several protagonists, one of which would be an elf woman. Which is still completely retarded considering The Witcher's setting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »

it's out.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2009, 02:13:38 PM

So does the Steam version patch up to this 1.5 edition, or is that something you have to buy separately?  I keep meaning to get back into this one, and haven't gotten around to it.  Burned out when I got to the big city, need to buckle down and try to wrap it up.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 08, 2009, 02:21:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2009, 02:13:38 PM

So does the Steam version patch up to this 1.5 edition, or is that something you have to buy separately?  I keep meaning to get back into this one, and haven't gotten around to it.  Burned out when I got to the big city, need to buckle down and try to wrap it up.

I loaded up Steam to test it, and so far nothing has happened. Maybe the steam patch will come later today or tomorrow.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »

Man, this is the game I've been dying to play, but I wish it was cheaper on Steam.  I'm not going to spend $40US on a year old game, no matter how good it is.  I'm cheap.

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: