http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:40:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The thread where KS bitches about games in general  (Read 1698 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »

Add to the list the ability to skip past cut-scenes (after one viewing; I'm ok with not accidentally skipping simply because I hit a button).

Along the skipping lines I'd say that DO NOT PUT A RESTART POINT RIGHT BEFORE AN UNSKIPPABLE SCENE (Darksiders, I'm looking at you - my only true gripe with that game).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »

All of these complaints are valid issues and comes to show that our favorite hobby is still in the early stages. Developers seem to think that video game advancement can only happen in the graphics and sound but they hardly consider things like AI or believable character interaction.

One of the biggest turn-offs for me in any game are poorly scripted cutscenes. Seriously, Half-Life 2 addressed many of the issues all those years ago, and Uncharted 2 took it up a notch. Why aren't more companies doing what they do?

I hate when it feels like the entire game was made by programmers.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »

Can we add a complaint for lack of stat tracking at any level below Halo 3? Bungie set the bar. If you're making a big game release where statistics make sense, don't half ass it.

And if you do track it, make it available online! (Looking at you, Black Ops!)

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:13 PM »

I remember turning off the fog of war for Age of Empires to see how the computer was effectively trouncing me.  I followed the AI's moves click for click ... right until the time I ran out of resources and he was building a new structure.  Programmers have been taking the easy way out for a long time.  And I wish it were different.

I remember playing the old Rainbow Six games and trying to Lone Wolf it across a map with 25 enemies and having fun even as I failed.  But standing against the Infinite Tango Torrent does nothing for me. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 01, 2010, 10:09:13 PM

I remember playing the old Rainbow Six games and trying to Lone Wolf it across a map with 25 enemies and having fun even as I failed. 

that reminds me of Ghost Recon:Island Thunder for the original Xbox,i damn loved that game and IMO no GR game has come close since

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 01, 2010, 08:31:17 PM

Quote from: ATB on December 01, 2010, 07:20:33 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 01, 2010, 05:38:57 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on December 01, 2010, 05:16:37 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, there are no "monster closets" in MW2.

It was definitely toned down, if not completely removed, and IW stated that as one of their goals in making the game.

Go back and play favela.  Magic lines aplenty and never ending bad guys.

Are you sure? I played it on Veteran and didn't experience this. In fact, I remember clearly that you can hang back in the opening area and the area will become quiet after you have killed enough people. There are certainly places where crossing a line will spawn a guy opening a window or appearing on a rooftop, but I have no problem with that.

I clearly remember playing the game on hardened and getting bogged down by never ending rooftop bad guys.  I then clearly remember playing it on Veteran and just running full bore and barely ever dying.

@Pr0ner- Perhaps it's our definitions that are not syncing. By monster closet I mean basically what Jersoc mentions.  I think my definition is 'officially' wrong, but that's what I meant by it..
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »

Something I didn't comment on in my earlier reply, but it's my biggest gripe with BLOPS; Treyach took a major step back in local co-op play. Some may not be aware of this, but they completely removed split-screen co-op campaign play for BLOPS. It was there in CoD WaW and was heavily rumored for BLOPS, but somehow it disappeared. As further insult to injury, they made it mandatory to have XBL gold accounts to even play local split-screen against bots - complete BS IMO. When I see co-op listed on the box I expect to have a bit more than a few Zombie firefight modes. You can still do the traditional 2-4 player split-screen for PvP, but that stopped being fun about a decade ago.  Roll Eyes
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 01, 2010, 08:31:17 PM

Are you sure? I played it on Veteran and didn't experience this. In fact, I remember clearly that you can hang back in the opening area and the area will become quiet after you have killed enough people. There are certainly places where crossing a line will spawn a guy opening a window or appearing on a rooftop, but I have no problem with that.

Yep- one of my biggest disappointments with BLOPs was that Treyarch still relied on infinite spawns in a couple of places after MW2 had done away with them. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 12:09:51 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 01, 2010, 10:32:24 PM

I remember playing the old Rainbow Six games and trying to Lone Wolf it across a map with 25 enemies and having fun even as I failed. 
that reminds me of Ghost Recon:Island Thunder for the original Xbox,i damn loved that game and IMO no GR game has come close since

Except the old Rainbow Six games 'cheated' in a way as well. There was a limited spawn radius and/or invisible lines of which outside that point no new baddies would spawn. It wasn't quite as bad as say other shooters, because there was still a finite amount of enemies. But you could shoot all you wanted behind that line and nobody would notice, but step just a bit further forward and they'd all react.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 12:11:02 AM »

This one is simple - the other racers are not playing the same game you are.  They aren't trying to win, they are making sure that you lose.

Ha ha.  My friend, have you played a little gem called Mod Nation Racers? I cannot yell "F**! You!" at the developers of this game loud enough.  I congratulate Sony for guaranteeing that I will never buy a 'play,create, share' game again.  The second boss race they all just try to stop you, regardless of what position you're in.  I've been in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the final stretch of that race and MULTIPLE guys only target me.  I've never gone back to the game again.  I'm getting mad right now just thinking about it.  If you didn't want me playing your game, why didn't you just write 'F*** Off' on the outside of the box?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »

The blood face effect is an effort to minimize the HUD in my mind, and it doesn't bother me.

For the other stuff in CoD (or similar games), I mostly see it as part of the game.  Sometimes it's jarring, but over the years I've learned how to play CoD, so now I don't even think about constantly moving forward.  It's not trying to be real life, it's a game with parameters and sometimes you have to figure out what those parameters are.  The best games set these in a way that you don't even notice them, of course.

As for NFS, I think that the game is set up for the other players to be out to get you.  And not just the other team.  I try to hinder opponents as well.  I think it's what you're supposed to do.  I even think NFS handles rubberband AI well.  A game like ModNation Racers, like Big Jake mentions, is absolutely transparent, horrible and frustrating beyond enjoyment pulling that shit.  To the point where you wonder if they playtested the game at all.  It's just horribly balanced.  To me, NFS:HP balances the AI to a decent level.  Again, it's not going for realism.  It's cops driving $100,000 cars in high speed chases with racers who have established routes in one small area.  It's a ridiculous action game.  A game like Forza (or GT5) pulling the same rubberbanding would be a bigger deal to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on December 02, 2010, 12:11:02 AM

If you didn't want me playing your game, why didn't you just write 'F*** Off' on the outside of the box?

I always thought that was an odd choice to be on the box:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 02, 2010, 12:41:17 AM

Quote from: Big Jake on December 02, 2010, 12:11:02 AM

If you didn't want me playing your game, why didn't you just write 'F*** Off' on the outside of the box?

I always thought that was an odd choice to be on the box:

LOL You should send that image in a virtual gift card to the Developer.  icon_lol

My son and I tried Mod Nations on a demo PS3 at an EB and it took both of us all of 5 minutes to write it off. I was surprised - I haven't encountered a game that got that much hype and marketing but played like utter crap for some time. Mario Party 8 maybe.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:13:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 02, 2010, 12:09:51 AM

Except the old Rainbow Six games 'cheated' in a way as well. There was a limited spawn radius and/or invisible lines of which outside that point no new baddies would spawn. It wasn't quite as bad as say other shooters, because there was still a finite amount of enemies. But you could shoot all you wanted behind that line and nobody would notice, but step just a bit further forward and they'd all react.

In terrorist hunt, they were always looking for you. In single player, there were a few invisible pads, but to complain about that mechanic for a game that's over a decade old is a little unfair, considering it's still in use today.

I seem to recall RB6 having multiple potential spawn points so that whenever you played you weren't just flagging the same targets in the same spot each time. That *still* isn't common enough in FPS games today.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 12:00:14 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 02, 2010, 08:03:35 PM

Quote from: Destructor on December 02, 2010, 12:09:51 AM

In terrorist hunt, they were always looking for you. In single player, there were a few invisible pads, but to complain about that mechanic for a game that's over a decade old is a little unfair, considering it's still in use today.

I seem to recall RB6 having multiple potential spawn points so that whenever you played you weren't just flagging the same targets in the same spot each time. That *still* isn't common enough in FPS games today.

I'm not complaining - just saying it's there. For the technology of the day, it was fine. Problem is that we're still seeing it (or worse) nowadays with MUCH more powerful consoles with a ton more memory to keep track of things like this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 01, 2010, 08:20:52 PM

I'll start the list then!  Like true brainstorming, there are no bad ideas.  They go on the list, we sift em later:

Bucket of ideas to be sifted:
- AI should have self-preservation

I care to digress about the need for self-preservation. It isn't the "intelligence" of the AI that matters, but how "fun" they are to fight against. For instance, the grunts in Halo are some of the most fun enemies to play against, because of their wide range of "emotions". Angry, scared, undecisive, suicidal... They're not overly "smart" and will often (on purpose) make bad decisions like stand there looking at you, or run away with their arms in the air. But I'm sure that the AI to program them like this is nothing short of impressive.

But like you said, there are no bad ideas yet for the list, and you can sift through them later smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »

Running away isn't self-preservation? I didn't say "combat intense" for a reason. I don't want every guy I face to be a struggle just to win, but just standing there, or having them charge you on-sight-every-time be the "Right" way to do it.

In addition to the self-preservation point, I'd also like to see the AI differ in reactions based on individually assigned (possibly random) results.

IE: chump 1 90% chance of charging you when health is low, where chump2 is only 30% chance.

The predictability of the locust army in Gears got tiresome after a while. Instead of seeing a red flashing indicator, as you get them to less than 25% health, those are the guys hopping walls to come straight at you.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »

- Must have subtitles
Absolutely.  I can't crank the volume on my games, so I pretty much have to rely on subtitles - particularly when they're trying to convey the plot in the middle of a firefight.  Halo has been *terrible* in this regard.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: