http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:48:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Swapper  (Read 817 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »

(Cross posted with OO because this game deserves some attention.)

The Swapper came out on Steam yesterday and so far Iím impressed.

What really makes the game stand out is its unique art style.  The game uses real-world clay models and found objects for almost everything in the game world.  It creates an eerie surreal environment, which, when combined with the minimalist sound direction, is completely haunting.

Gameplay itself is puzzle platforming, with an emphasis on the puzzle.  You use the Swapper device to create clones of yourself which you can then swap to in order to reach otherwise impassible areas.  The game starts out pretty simple but after about an hour in it starts to get downright devious.  If I had to level a complaint at the game itís that while the puzzles are very good they donít seem to really fit in with the game world.  Instead of being integrated into the environment itís more akin to a series of puzzle rooms that you must complete to carry on the story.  In a lesser game this wouldnít be an issue but here it feels a bit like a missed opportunity.

Speaking of the story, itís surprisingly good.  I havenít finished it yet and I donít want to spoil anything but it is psychologically poignant and deals heavily with the morality of clones and the soul.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

Hmm, no interest here.  Disappointing.

I finished up the story late last night.  Without giving anything away I will say the ending is satisfying but donít go in expecting a Disney ending.  The game is creepy and mildly unsettling from beginning to end.
A warning for anyone who picks up the game; if you reach the last 124 orb door donít activate it unless you are ready to finish the game.   Once you activate it there is no going back.  I didnít realize I was at the end of the game and missed a sizeable portion of the ship as a result.

My total playtime was 7 hours.  Given the amount of stuff I missed, I think you could add at least an hour or two to that if you do everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

I wouldn't say there is no interest in this just yet.   First post is only a day old, and on A Friday at that.

Myself, I pick up these indie puzzle/platformer type games all the time due to their regular inclusion in the various game bundles so I'll likely pick this up down the road.   

Btw, I know what it's like to have low response threads.   It happens a lot when your gaming interests vary from the norm.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »

Finished it this morning, fantastic game.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »

I am eyeing this one closely.    Wondering if I should wait until the Steam Summer Sale or not.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

Depends on how much you value $3.    icon_smile

The game is already 25% off, I really doubt it would be more than 50% off in a monthsí time.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:27:43 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »

Just a heads up; this is on sale today for $7.49 on Steam. Absolutely recommended at that price. This game deserves more attention.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 09, 2013, 05:21:29 PM

Just a heads up; this is on sale today for $7.49 on Steam. Absolutely recommended at that price. This game deserves more attention.

Yeah this game is fantastic, buy it people.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:24:09 AM »

I just bought this as part of Steam's Halloween sale. I'm enamored thus far  icon_eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »

This game is fucking brilliant! I love the gameplay and the nature of the puzzles.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »

Coming to PS4, PS3, Vita with cross buy in May.  http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/26/clone-swapper-ps3-ps4-ps-vita/

Hopefully it gets a bit more attention than it did on PC.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 26, 2014, 02:13:33 PM

Coming to PS4, PS3, Vita with cross buy in May.  http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/26/clone-swapper-ps3-ps4-ps-vita/

Nice!  Will double dip on my Vita.  Really loved the game on PC and would love a portable version.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2014, 02:36:32 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 26, 2014, 02:13:33 PM

Nice!  Will double dip on my Vita.  Really loved the game on PC and would love a portable version.
tempting as well, but I'll wait for a ps+ sale

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: