http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Steam is a changing: Steam Family Sharing! Cross Region Trading in trouble?  (Read 15840 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »

Penny Arcade Report's Ben Kucera weighs in on the $100 submission fee (he does address that while the fee's been described as going to Child's Play, PA's Child Play did not seek it out/have involvement in it):

The $100 fee for Steam Greenlight submissions is exclusionary, and wrong

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-100-fee-for-steam-greenlight-submissions-is-exclusionary-and-wrong1

*I don't know if I have a problem with the fee, as much as with the blanket idea that adding that fee is somehow going to improve the quality of submissions. It seems like a bludgeoning way to try to weed out the gag-submissions and what not.

imho, anything that draws an endless, unfiltered amount of public submissions is subject to abuse. Yeah you can get us gamers to rate everything in sight but even that is subject to "voting abuse." It's maybe no different than the iOS and Android app stores, or to games where every Moe can submit something they claim to be a playable level, mission etc. In those situations I often give up after a while because you feel like you're panning for gold in a massive sewer of feces. Get a visual on THAT.  disgust icon_razz
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:18:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »

I think anyone serious about putting their game on Steam can muster $100 to do so.  However, if their goal was to just weed out bad submissions a $10 fee would have done just as well.

They need to rethink the thumbs down button though.  If 10,000 people say they will buy a game on steam does it really matter if 5,000 say they won’t?  I will never buy a sports game but that doesn’t mean I think they shouldn’t be sold on Steam.  It’s just a way for people to show spite to a game they don’t like.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »

It appears to me that with their most recent update the thumbs down thing may not be so much a negative down-vote as it is "I'm not interested in this, don't show it to me again".  Their clarification text changed how I viewed that considerably.  But that's just my impression.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2012, 01:57:32 AM »

the Big Picture public beta is supposed to start Monday. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2012, 01:59:08 AM »

I really like the big picture mode.  I have been using my Tv for PC games for many years as there is no way I'm going to sit in a computer chair looking at a monitor when I get home, feels too much like work.  I have xpadder that allows me to use it as a mouse, it works very well, but the big picture mode is pretty awesome.

The layout feels somewhat like xbox live, but without ads.  The game icons are huge and they look really cool.  The interface is fast and typing with a controller is probably the easiest I've used in any type of interface.  The browser is pretty good it's different of course than the layout I'm used to using xpadder but it works ok.  I've had some issues playing videos, they take quite a bit of time to load and if you are viewing your games and want more detail and then back out it takes you back to the start of your games list.  You can use the bumpers to cycle through the alphabet and get back quickly but that should be fixed soon.

You can take screenshots by using the guide and another button which is a cool feature.  There are some problems with this on games that use GFWL so it's best not to turn on the interface while playing those games.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2012, 03:44:51 AM »

Big Picture mode is very crashy for me.  Doing just about anything locks it up, resulting into a CTD a few seconds later.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

The first 10 Greenlights to ... get green lit...

Black Mesa
    Cry of Fear
    Dream
    Heroes & Generals
    Kenshi
    McPixel
    No More Room in Hell
    Project Zomboid
    Routine
    Towns
Bleah. I don't think I even looked at more than a couple of these.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »

Aw, no Project Giana? I guess it'll get in with the next batch. I think Project Zomboid got accepted with only about 30-40% of the necessary positive ratings, so it's clear the system is a bit rough around the edges.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »

another thing found in the most recent beta: it looks like Steam is finally going to let you choose where you want to install a game.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

Couple buds at another forum had voted for Towns. I don't even know what it is.

So, Greenlight Games are held in "stasis" in this section as pending titles:

Greenlit Games
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight?controller=sharedfiles&appid=765&method=browse&browsesort=pending&browsefilter=pending&p=1

Games in this section have received a lot of community support. The next step for these games is for the developer to send Valve a build of the game and start working with us. A game might exist in this state for some time while the developer continues working, polishes the game, and/or works on marketing and plans for the launch.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2012, 02:09:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2012, 05:08:59 PM

another thing found in the most recent beta: it looks like Steam is finally going to let you choose where you want to install a game.

I've been doing this with the steam mover application as an easy way to sym link folders, but it's nice that steam finally acknowledges that people's library might very well eclipse the largest hard drives    ninja

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »

So, RPS covered a Valve panel that seems to admit, well, Valve has no idea what they're doing with Greenlight

Valve On Steam Greenlight’s Failings, Fixing Them
As is, then, Greenlight’s less of a magical, crowd-powered game factory and more of an anything-goes gladiatorial arena. Unfortunately, that leaves non-developers like me and probably you in a bit of a tight spot. For normal folks, digging through more than a thousand candidates (and counting) without any rhyme or reason simply isn’t, well, reasonable. As a result, promising games are still bound to slip through the cracks – which is what Valve designed Greenlight to avoid in the first place.
Right now, Valve fully admits that it doesn’t have an answer.
And I agree with this nattering nabob of negativity comment in the thread there:
The whole Community Update has been a complete mess. The lack of proper moderating tools (and mods for that matter) in the Discussions pages, the insane amount of notification spam, the shitty social network-wannabe page layouts, and the fact that the update seems to have attracted a whole new level of Facebook-like stupidity were all the final nail in the coffin for me.

I no longer participate in the Steam community because taking part feels like nothing more than an unnecessary headache now.
I used to actively post in the Steam forums on many games but basically there are too many forums, mostly completely unmoderated at all (you might as well be on unmoderated USENET newsgroups). It's ugly and I don't want to hang out there anymore, not even just to check feedback on new games.

imho, Steam is wasting waaaaay too much time/resources emulating social media and crowd-funding and whatever's Trendy This Week. I'm sure we'll have "MySteam" pages and "SteamBook" gathering sites to go with "SteamStarter" funding donation pages. Perhaps to go with the "Steamify" streaming randomized game service, and so on....

Not to mention pelting us all with tab after tab after tab of Click Here and Click This and Join This and Tell Your Friends' Friends' Friends' Enemies what you thought of this game stuff.

None of this is preventing me from buying games on Steam (bought Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 on it, and pre-ordered XCOM), but more and more I just want to play my games and chat a bit with Steam friends and ignore all the bloat that Steam is determined to cram in, much of what are lost on me (and apparently others).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:49:42 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »

they are now officially selling non-gaming software.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »

they have a new deal called Early Access:

What is Early Access?

Get immediate access to games that are being developed with the community's involvement. These are games that evolve as you play them, as you give feedback, and as the developers update and add content.

We like to think of games and game development as services that grow and evolve with the involvement of customers and the community. There have been a number of prominent titles that have embraced this model of development recently and found a lot of value in the process. We like to support and encourage developers who want to ship early, involve customers, and build lasting relationships that help everyone make better games.

essentially what a bunch of indie devs have been doing already, just with Steam in the mix.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2013, 09:41:15 PM »

virtual trading cards are the next big thing.

What are Steam Trading Cards?
Steam Trading Cards are collectible cards you get by playing games on Steam. Collect a set of cards to earn items that help you customize your profile and show off your gameplay.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »

figured I'd play around with the Steam Marketplace beta last night and made $25 overnight by selling a bunch of useless TF2 junk, most of which I got for free as pre-order bonuses.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2013, 09:41:15 PM

virtual trading cards are the next big thing.

What are Steam Trading Cards?
Steam Trading Cards are collectible cards you get by playing games on Steam. Collect a set of cards to earn items that help you customize your profile and show off your gameplay.

I actually really like this idea

Edit:   This is a great idea for Microsoft and Sony to pay attention to.   This sort of thing could encourage people to keep their used games and instead grind profile pics, items, etc (and even trade or sell those items).

Edit edit:   I've joined the group and now officially put out a beg for a spare beta key for the trading cards.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:37:55 PM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »

How do you know when you've been invited to something like the trading card beta?   do I get steam mail in the upper right, or some sort of notification?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 05, 2013, 01:11:00 PM

How do you know when you've been invited to something like the trading card beta?   do I get steam mail in the upper right, or some sort of notification?

IIRC you'll get notification of new gifts available; I got three trading card beta invites when they let me in.  I'd offer you one but I sold them on the marketplace.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 05, 2013, 02:56:04 PM

How do you know when you've been invited to something like the trading card beta?   do I get steam mail in the upper right, or some sort of notification?

IIRC you'll get notification of new gifts available; I got three trading card beta invites when they let me in.  I'd offer you one but I sold them on the marketplace.

Hey CeeKay, which badge did you get for owning games and how much XP was it worth?

EDIT: duh, I can just look it up myself. "Director of Acquisitions" for over 500 games.

I got the one for 250+, "Steam Mechanic".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:21:58 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »

huh.. well, that pic was supposed to be a pic of the Trading Card going live pic they have on Steam.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 26, 2013, 07:19:52 PM

IIRC you'll get notification of new gifts available; I got three trading card beta invites when they let me in.  I'd offer you one but I sold them on the marketplace.
Hey CeeKay, which badge did you get for owning games and how much XP was it worth?

I got a 'Trading Card Beta Tester' badge for 100xp, not sure what other badge there might be.

[edit] oh yeah, the Director one for 75 XP.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2013, 07:22:34 PM

I got a 'Trading Card Beta Tester' badge for 100xp, not sure what other badge there might be.

I edited my post, read above...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 26, 2013, 07:24:17 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2013, 07:22:34 PM

I edited my post, read above...

and I edited my post after seeing you edit your post.  look above Tongue  I thought it was only 75xp, but it says 757xp.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »

Apparently they decided to stress test the Greenlight system and approved 100 new Greenlight games.  Some of which I have been waiting for, but also others that do not necessarily look all that promising, if I'm being honest.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2013, 02:40:45 AM »

I just received my 3rd booster, this one for EUIII, and flipped it for $.60.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 29, 2013, 02:40:45 AM

first time I read that I saw $60 instead of $.60 icon_lol

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:32 AM »

Don't I wish.  Of course, at that point, Steam would be demanding my details for tax purposes.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »

What is a booster?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 29, 2013, 05:16:32 PM

What is a booster?

after you get all the card drops from a game, you can get these booster packs whenever someone crafts a badge using the same cards, afaik.  these open up to three other random cards for that game, sometimes with the foil version. 

I've had two myself and got all dupes.  ended up making much less on selling the three than if I'd sold the pack. 

in other news, I finally sold my last steam summer card.  surprised that there's as many out there on the market still. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »

He's spot on.

More details here.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2013, 04:58:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 29, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

in other news, I finally sold my last steam summer card.  surprised that there's as many out there on the market still. 

mine are just sitting there.  they pretty much flooded the market with them, so I'm not even trying to move what I have left.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 29, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 29, 2013, 05:16:32 PM

What is a booster?

after you get all the card drops from a game, you can get these booster packs whenever someone crafts a badge using the same cards, afaik.  these open up to three other random cards for that game, sometimes with the foil version. 

I've had two myself and got all dupes.  ended up making much less on selling the three than if I'd sold the pack. 

And this is exactly why I can't get myself to give a shit about these dumb cards.  slywink

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »

I've made about $10 from the cards at this point.  The majority of it went back into increasing my level but as of right now I'm still $2.57 in the positive.  Now that I'm level 20 I don't care about going any higher so any boosters I pick up go onto the market for pure profit.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2013, 07:32:38 PM »

Ive made 15 bucks or so selling cards so far and will continue to do so as new games I own add cards like the total war games did.     I cant see any reason for not at least selling them on the market.   It takes 5 seconds maybe to list a card.     Even at 10-15 cents a card it adds up and is basically free money.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »

And they have now announced Steam Family Sharing which will be going into beta soon (you can get on the list by joining the group for it).  What a novel idea!  slywink

It's a bit limited in that it won't work with certain third party games, you can only share your whole library at once and not on a per-title basis, and only one person can access your shared library at a time.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »

beaten to the punch by E9...
new details about the family sharing option:

you can authorize up to 10 accounts and all games except certain ones using third party licenses.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »

Will be curious to see how this pans out with both MS and Sony watching

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 11, 2013, 06:11:15 PM

Will be curious to see how this pans out with both MS and Sony watching

I definitely expect that Microsoft is re-tuning their family sharing so that it can be used without requiring constant connections from all parties.  Lots of people like and want that feature, they just didn't like the restrictions that their implementation put on the console as a whole.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: