http://gamingtrend.com
December 10, 2016, 07:11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii U] Splatoon  (Read 752 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »

As impressed as I was by this during last year's E3, I haven't really been following it.  I was surprised to find out it comes out at the end of the month!

Meanwhile, Nintendo is running a kind of super-limited demo thing this weekend, calling it a Global Testfire .  I was only able to play last night for an hour last night, but I had a lot of fun.

It plays pretty smoothly.  There's something really satisfying about covering segments of the floor in paint.  It has a texture, too, which I wasn't expecting.  There seems to be a difference between covering a blank bit of floor and one already covered.  It's thicker.  I don't know that it affects gameplay at all, and maybe I'm imagining it, but it's a nice detail.

Another nice detail is that Nintendo has including a kind of Doodle Jump mini-game to play on the pad between rounds.  It's incredibly simplistic, but it's neat anyway.  Plus it saves your progress between bouts.

Unfortunately, this leads to one of the issues.  The matches themselves are three minutes long.  That in itself isn't a problem.  It actually seems to be just the right amount of time to madly try and cover as much territory as you can ("killing" enemies as you go by trapping them in your color).  However, it seems to take just as long to get into the next session.  It's probably less, but it's longer than it should be a lot shorter.  That little mini-game can only hold your interest for so long.  It's not a big enough problem to spoil the fun, but over time it'll make the game less appealing, I think.

Another issue is the weaponry.  I tried all of them, but the paint roller was the clear winner.  By the end of the hour, almost everyone was using it.
The roller covered ground a lot better and made taking out an opponent easier, too.  There are benefits to the other weapons, of course.  For example, there are walls that can be covered, and the roller only works on the ground (with a mild splash effect when you first use it).  Covering the walls allow for better squid travel (players can easily drop into squid-mode to swim in their color paint, even up walls).  Each weapon comes with it's own power-up weapon, too (gained after covering a certain amount of ground, it seems).  Some of these might be more useful than the blast cannon that comes with the roller.  But in the end, none of these benefits outweigh the power of that roller.

If this game weren't coming out so soon, I'd figure they'd have time to balance the weapons.  And maybe they will in a patch or something, but as it stands, it's problematic.

There was only one game mode in the demo, and I only got to try 2 maps.  Maybe that'll help, too.

Still, there is something so original and fun here while still being accessible, but also allowing for skilled play.  I am definitely picking it up.

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 04:33:27 AM »

I tried downloading this tonight and was disappointed that it was no longer available.  Looking forward to some real reviews once we get closer to release.  Most of the early buzz has been positive.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »

I'm torn regarding the game.  It looks like a lot of fun (I remember spending hours and hours playing an old shareware game where you ran around trying to paint as much of the level with your color as possible) but I'm worried this won't find a player base.  An online multiplayer focused Nintendo game is an uncertain prospect to begin with, and the fact that the game is only shipping with 5 maps and 1 online mode (with the rest to be rolled out over summer) is also cause for concern.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »

Im interested, it looks like a novel concept. However, when I saw this was going to be 59.99 I am out. To me, it looks like a 19.99 or even 29.99 game. I wont put the hours in to warrant the cost.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on May 12, 2015, 01:40:58 PM

Im interested, it looks like a novel concept. However, when I saw this was going to be 59.99 I am out. To me, it looks like a 19.99 or even 29.99 game. I wont put the hours in to warrant the cost.
If Iím not mistaken, it was originally going to be bargain priced but then Nintendo took it on to create an entire single player campaign for it.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:18:05 AM »

I played in the test-fire today.  It's definitely fun but I'm terrible at aiming with a controller and I worry that it will get old fast.  Those two things are enough to keep me away on launch day.  That said, unless reviews pan the single-player component I will definitely be checking it out further down the road though.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

Well, I had heard some good things on this so I decided to just order it from Amazon.  I'll give it a try this weekend and see what I think. 

I didn't realize this, but I read that this game actually started out early on as a follow-up to Mario Sunshine.  Makes sense when you look at the basic mechanics, I guess.  That gives me a little hope for the single player levels which sound kind of puzzle platformer-y. 

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »

I got about 45 minutes of Multiplayer today.

I have to say, I don't understand the decision to limit the game to only two possible levels each day.  That seems daft and limiting to me.  I just rolled with it in the demo, because I figured it was a demo, but that's just the kind of decision that makes you scratch your head.

Almost as baffling is not having any sort of voting system for which level you're going to play.  I played one level ten times and the other one twice.  Crazy.

The biggest problem is the matchmaking, though.  Frequently, I found after a good ass-wiping that the opposing team had multiple level 15+ players while mine only had newbies.  This seemed to happen constantly.  Maybe it's a team situation.  I honestly don't know how playing with a buddy works for this.  Even if the two highest level players were friends, it still didn't explain some of the teams the game put together.  They were often woefully unbalanced.

It's frustrating to be playing against players who are so much higher ranked, especially because they get better equipment (you are gimped until level 4).  I can't imagine how frustrating this'll be for players just trying it for the first time.  When the other team covers nearly 90% of the playfield, and you find yourself dying before you can even get your bearings, something's off.

However, when the game worked, it really worked for me.  I really enjoy the concept of this, and the play is smooth and fun.  Load times between such short rounds is still a bit of an issue (I think it would have been better if teams were locked into a best of 3 scenario, where it would average about 10 minutes instead of the 3 minute bouts we get), but it's fun once you're in.

I've been hearing really great things about the single player, and I haven't even started that yet.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »

I am interested in hearing more about the single player. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 29, 2015, 08:19:51 PM

Me too!  smile  I'll try to give that a try tonight when I get home or tomorrow morning, but I'm definitely interested in hearing what other people have to say about it.

Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 05:56:53 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 29, 2015, 10:29:22 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on May 29, 2015, 08:19:51 PM

Me too!  smile  I'll try to give that a try tonight when I get home or tomorrow morning, but I'm definitely interested in hearing what other people have to say about it.

I gave it a run up to the first boss.  Very Nintendo and a decent amount of fun.  Not too challenging before the boss, and the big bad was definitely a step up, but also not grueling.  I'm sure the challenge will build, though.  Seems like a nice learning curve.  These first three were borderline tutorials, but there are thirty in all, so they've got time to build.

For me, the most interesting part was trying to find the hidden scrolls on each level.  I missed the second one and, being a completionist, had to go back.  That one took me a while, too, though it should have been more obvious, once I found it.

When I found myself back in the weapons store after more multiplayer, I was surprised to hear the salesman ask about a blueprint I'd found (it was a nearly unmissable scroll from the boss).  Turns out I'd unlocked a new weapon.  Sadly, it was just a variation of the lame starting weapon, but it made me curious what else might be hidden in the single player section.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »

Yeah, I played the single player stuff for a couple levels past the first boss and it seems alright.  Not earth shattering so far, but ok.  Each level is bigger than a Toad Treasure level, smaller than a Mario level.  Pretty straightforward so far other than finding the one hidden thing in each (which haven't been very hard so far).

The biggest problem I see with the single player portion is that it doesn't actually contribute to your overall [multiplayer] levels or coin count.  Everything in there is separate from the multiplayer meat of the game.  I was hoping it would be a nice way to get the first few levels out of the way and earn some coin for customizing, but no luck.

I absolutely hated the motion controls that they force you to use in the tutorial, but once you're in the plaza you can turn that off and it works fine.  I think they could do more fine tuning of their aiming to match modern console standards.  At the very least it seems like vertical sensitivity should be separate from horizontal, but they are on the same option.

I got to level 4, I bought some weapons.  Even before that, though, I was top scoring on my team and winning most of them with the default stuff.  That's a good sign to me, so it doesn't seem like the other early weapons are really much better overall than the starter one. 

I did have some connectivity issues.  Not sure if it's related to my internet or because half the people I'm playing with have Japanese characters for names, but three different times I got a connection error that kicked me from a game.

The game overall seems pretty fun, but I'm worried about how long it will hold my interest.  I know they're supposed to be adding content and such throughout the summer, but as it stands this feels like it should have been a $30 game or something.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »

Don't forget about the DLC locked into hard to find $12.99 (or whatever to costs to get them) Amiibos.

Limited availability DLC. Now there's a term I thought I'd never ever use.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 30, 2015, 07:56:35 PM

Don't forget about the DLC locked into hard to find $12.99 (or whatever to costs to get them) Amiibos.

I wasn't really aware of any DLC locked to the Amiibos...is it anything more than some skins for customization?  In general I've just assumed all Amiibos are crap because they don't add anything useful to the game.

Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 30, 2015, 08:51:58 PM

Quote from: Destructor on May 30, 2015, 07:56:35 PM

I wasn't really aware of any DLC locked to the Amiibos...is it anything more than some skins for customization?  In general I've just assumed all Amiibos are crap because they don't add anything useful to the game.

This one actually has some sort of Challenge Level that unlocks.  IIRC, it's like a series of time trials for levels in single player or some such.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »

So they released some free new content this week: one new map and 2 new weapons, as well as unlocking the Ranked matches for those over level 10 which includes a new game type as well.

Glad to see they're supporting it, even though this content was clearly in the works before they shipped.  Hopefully they continue support for some months; the game still feels pretty sparse to me.

Bullwinkle

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 06, 2015, 08:04:52 PM

So they released some free new content this week: one new map and 2 new weapons, as well as unlocking the Ranked matches for those over level 10 which includes a new game type as well.

Glad to see they're supporting it, even though this content was clearly in the works before they shipped.  Hopefully they continue support for some months; the game still feels pretty sparse to me.

They're supposed to have new content every week through August.  Or something like that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: