http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:18:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The State of Breasts in Gaming  (Read 2961 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »

So I cleared chapter 4 in Ninja Gaiden last night and you're introduced to the character of Rachel.  Her proportions are, to say the least, ridiculous.

This seems to be a common trend these days.  I can think of several games (avoiding the obvious DOA nonsense) that include Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Bloodrayne, etc where the breasts are just ridiculously huge.  If you played bloodrayne then you know that as an added bonus, you got an inappropriate and random 'jiggling' at the oddest moments.

So...what's the point?  Well, I think I know the point, but really, is there anyone who has ever said "KOTOR was almost a magnificent game. I was just so disapointed that there were no HUGE BREASTS on Malak!"

It's preposterous.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
So...what's the point?  Well, I think I know the point, but really, is there anyone who has ever said "KOTOR was almost a magnificent game. I was just so disapointed that there were no HUGE BREASTS on Malak!"

It's preposterous.

The point is sales.  These games are driven by profit.  If they don't make money they don't keep making games.  

Now some marketing genius has pretty much found that games with huge breasts on some women characters sell better.  While it isn't true of all games it is true of a lot so when making a new game it is better follow the working pattern.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »

It's simply the devs drawing up what they would most like to see in their lives before they die. Odds are good that will remain a fantasy for many of them.  :twisted:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »

It is becoming kinda funny, though. Especially when you're flipping through a gaming magazine, and look at all the ads for various games. It's almost guaranteed there's always going to be one token buxom as a focal point. smile

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 04:25:06 PM »

^^^

I've noticed that as well - it's particularly bad in, say, EGM.  I went through one issue and dogtagged every page that had some kind of emphasis on the mammaries.  Needless to say, I marked nearly half the magazine.

What kills me, is that people complain that gaming isn't taken seriously as an "adult" hobby, yet the games and magazines are littered with these sophomoric, wildly exaggerated portrayals of females.  Of *course* the general public is going to look at that and come to the conclusion that games are only for pubescent males who have never kissed anyone other than their mom.

It's embarrasing - I was out of town for two weeks, and had my neighbor pick up my mail for me.  While I was gone, the latest issue of CGW (I think) came in with some ridiculously proportioned 38 DDDD charater on the front cover - I can only imagine what my neighbor thought when she saw that.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 05:20:10 PM »

That's my problem with it.  I don't mind including unreal physical stereotypes, but marketing based on them is insulting and stunts the medium.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 05:24:47 PM »

That said, check out the cover and ads in any issue of Cosmopolitan or (it seems) any of the magazines at your local grocer.  Still, magazines are one thing.  Marketing videogames around the curves of your female wireframe models remains a slap in the face to all of the developers responsible for, you know, the game portion of your game.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 10:54:19 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

It's preposterous.

The point is sales.  These games are driven by profit.  If they don't make money they don't keep making games.  

Now some marketing genius has pretty much found that games with huge breasts on some women characters sell better.  While it isn't true of all games it is true of a lot so when making a new game it is better follow the working pattern.

Have you ever bought a game because of pixelated boobies? I know I haven't...well maybe Leisure Suit Larry way back in the day...and i was just a kid...and they had that 'unbreakable' security feature (asking you questions about stuff that happened in the 60's and 70's) to prevent young morons like myself from accessing it...
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 12:07:41 PM »

Heh. Guess you didn't know the secret key-combination to pass those pesky age-check questions.   :wink:

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 05:06:19 PM »

I can say I've never bought a game just because of breasts...now adult humor is different (Leisure Suit Larry comes to mind).  I avoided the DOA Volleyball, etc, etc when they came out and it's really not a selling point to me.  I also hate the advertising...I want smart articles and in-depth reviews not another screenshot of a breast.  Of course I'm not 12 anymore smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 07:17:14 PM »

Is it wrong to be more interested in real pr0n than pixelated pr0n? What are your thoughts ATB?  :twisted:

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »

Pixelated may one day replace real.  Think about it.  No diseases or contractual issues.  Just a thought.  Though I'd hope we're farther along technologically by then.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 07:39:25 PM »

Have you ever bought a game because of pixelated boobies? I know I haven't...well maybe Leisure Suit Larry way back in the day...and i was just a kid...and they had that 'unbreakable' security feature (asking you questions about stuff that happened in the 60's and 70's) to prevent young morons like myself from accessing it...

Personally no, but I also haven't ever bought a pair of shoes because Michael Jordan's name is on them, or a soft drink becuase a specific band said to.

The target market though is not people over 30, it is (for video games) I would bet more like 12-18 year olds (and how old were you when you bought Leiasure Suit Larry? - exactly)

And to be honest I don't even know that this kind of marketing works, but  I figure people in the marketing department do know or at least it is their job to know and they seem to be saying breasts sell.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »

No argument there Farley. If you recall the flick "No Escape" with Ray Liotta, there was a funny story told about that at its premier at the USA Film Fest in Dallas. Producer Gale Ann Hurd (producer of Aliens) was initially told by studio chiefs they wanted a woman in the movie. When she asked why, she was told they wanted to put a chick on the poster to "draw in... um, the women out there."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: