http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Stanley Parable  (Read 370 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:32 AM »

This just appeared on Steam. The demo is absolutely brilliant. My wife stopped playing her game and came over to watch the demo. But I can't say anything about it since it will ruin the experience - its best going in not knowing a damn thing about it. If you liked the humor of Portal this does it even better.

I did purchase the game after the demo.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »

Ok, the main game is just as fantastic. Should have been asleep an hour ago but could not stop playing. This game is pretty special and I can't say anything about it as it would spoil it.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:54:46 AM »

I also highly enjoyed it.  This is pretty-much what games like Dear Esther SHOULD have been.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »

I actually forgot to play through the original mod before this, but whatever. Loved the demo so much I'll play it all again.

Apparently, the mod has entirely different content from the retail game.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »

I played the demo and it's... odd. I really enjoyed it up till the end when it seemed to get a bit drawn out. I think I might wait for the next Steam sale to get it however.

Speaking of odd things, the demo made me think of Monty Python's Holy Grail, and especially the ending... I'm speaking of the ending of the theatrical release. I'll spoiler tag it below for those who might be curious and/or weren't around in 1975...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The movie appears to be coming to a climax with King Arthur and all the rest of the characters, when suddenly the camera swings around and shows a British constable who tells them in so many words that they don't have a license to film here and they are trespassing, etc. He then comes over to the camera and puts his hand over the lens and the screen goes black. I don't remember exactly what said next, but the announcer says something and then there's some music while the screen stays black. After a while the audience where I was watching started to drift out of the theater. I stayed for quite a while, figuring there would be some Pythonesque comeback, but after about fifteen minutes of black screen I finally gave up and left the theater. As I said, weird.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:15:42 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »

I just spent two hours playing this.  Simply fantastic.  Hilarious, meaningful, meaningless.  I had a grin on my face the entire time and laughed out loud quite a bit.  Brilliant.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think my favorite ending so far was the one where the narrator got so pissed at my going off in my own direction that he decided to load up someone else's game.  Played Mincraft for a bit, but he felt it was too open-ended, so he dumped me into Portal, which he loved since it was me trapped in a box while he got to talk.  Before I got to the elevator, though, he decided it was too much.  Before he could restart, though, I jumped into the elevator pit, which dumped me into another level.  I wandered around a bit, and then the narrator eloquently philosophized before restarting.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »

Personally, I would recommend spending some quality time in broom closets.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »

Tried the demo yesterday and yes indeed it is quite odd. And best as I can tell, it's not any portion of the game but rather a stand-alone demo with some behind the scenes tours of how they allegedly made the demo. I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time and when it was over I immediately bought the game.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 19, 2013, 06:11:33 PM

Speaking of odd things, the demo made me think of Monty Python's Holy Grail, and especially the ending... I'm speaking of the ending of the theatrical release. I'll spoiler tag it below for those who might be curious and/or weren't around in 1975...

The full game is all about that and more.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 19, 2013, 08:12:55 PM

I just spent two hours playing this.  Simply fantastic.  Hilarious, meaningful, meaningless.  I had a grin on my face the entire time and laughed out loud quite a bit.  Brilliant.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think my favorite ending so far was the one where the narrator got so pissed at my going off in my own direction that he decided to load up someone else's game.  Played Mincraft for a bit, but he felt it was too open-ended, so he dumped me into Portal, which he loved since it was me trapped in a box while he got to talk.  Before I got to the elevator, though, he decided it was too much.  Before he could restart, though, I jumped into the elevator pit, which dumped me into another level.  I wandered around a bit, and then the narrator eloquently philosophized before restarting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But did you jump down a second time? Because if you did, you end up in the original Stanley Parable mod levels, looking all dilapidated and dark. Eventually you wander back into the original room 427, and as you walk out again it cuts away.

I've seen all known endings now, some that are just bizarre. Others that are quite poignant. I've also found a lot of the interesting and funny stuff while just wandering around.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »

Spent about 1/2-hour with this yesterday.  Not sure what the hell I played, but it sure was fun(ny).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: