http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:15:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims Medieval - Now With More Pirates! (and Nobles too)  (Read 7650 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

I ordered this for my wife (who loves the sims). It'll be her reward for finishing our taxes  icon_razz (she's an accountant)
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »

Regarding who can complete quests, some of them have multiple "primary" roles listed. So I'm not sure if you basically get to choose which to take or if you can actually play a combination of all of them to work together for the goal. I'm purposely avoiding these quests to be sure I had all of the primaries listed.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »

I cant help thinking about that old SSI game, Gorgon's Alliance or something like that - Where you were a monarch and could send out heroes on quest and manage your kingdom. Does it remind anyone of that? IF not, someone please remake Gorgons Alliance for me - thanks!

A new one
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on March 25, 2011, 06:48:49 PM

Regarding who can complete quests, some of them have multiple "primary" roles listed. So I'm not sure if you basically get to choose which to take or if you can actually play a combination of all of them to work together for the goal. I'm purposely avoiding these quests to be sure I had all of the primaries listed.

Before embarking on the quest you will choose any primary and secondary characters and those will be who you can control while working on the quest.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2011, 05:02:55 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 25, 2011, 08:07:52 PM

I cant help thinking about that old SSI game, Gorgon's Alliance or something like that - Where you were a monarch and could send out heroes on quest and manage your kingdom. Does it remind anyone of that? IF not, someone please remake Gorgons Alliance for me - thanks!

Not to be Mr. Know-it-all, but the game was Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance, and it was by Sierra (for TSR as it was a D&D game). I see some similarities, very basic, but particularly in the dual "strategy map" versus "pick an adventurer and go on an adventurer" part of the game.

And yes, I really think GOG.com should get Birthright. That would be excellent! But I have my old CD somewhere, so I'll be looking for that soon!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »

Broke down and picked this up last night.  Between not being able to talk to a quest NPC because my sim couldn't get past the two guys standing in the doorway, some unclear quest objectives that made me think I was supposed to sell an item that turned out to be required for a later quest, not quite understanding where I'm supposed to go to eat (the tutorial mentioned something about finding a glowing pot to cook with, but I'm not sure where to look), and not being able to save during the tutorial (forcing me to replay most of it), the game did not make a terribly good first impression.  

However, since I started my game at 11:00 after finishing a 16-hour work day, I'm sure I wasn't in the best frame of mind to give it an honest assessment.  Should have a little time to mess around with it today...hoping it clicks better now that I've had some sleep and caffiene.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on March 26, 2011, 05:02:55 AM

Quote from: Razgon on March 25, 2011, 08:07:52 PM

Not to be Mr. Know-it-all, but the game was Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance, and it was by Sierra (for TSR as it was a D&D game). I see some similarities, very basic, but particularly in the dual "strategy map" versus "pick an adventurer and go on an adventurer" part of the game.

And yes, I really think GOG.com should get Birthright. That would be excellent! But I have my old CD somewhere, so I'll be looking for that soon!

Thank you, mr know-it-all ;-)

A new one
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »

I got Sims Medieval today.  Now I see how it's all set up with choosing the ambition, how the other ambitions are locked, and the quests that you put your characters on.

It definitely seems like a cross between The Sims and The Guild series.  I think I'll enjoy it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 02:16:06 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 28, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

It definitely seems like a cross between The Sims and The Guild series.  I think I'll enjoy it.

That's a hell of a tag line.  I almost want to try the game just based on that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »

been playing this on and off, and I think it's going to b one of those games I play in spurts but never sit down for serious playtime with.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »

I haven't played other games since I started on this. I finished up with Dragon Age Origin so that I can play DA2, but because of this game, I haven't started on DA2.

The professions are fun to play with each one has their own special ability and daily activities. I enjoyed playing bard and the quest related to that profession.

Different with The Sims 3 is that this game has more scripted stuff. All quests are scripted with some branching choices.

But one thing I missed is the open-ended of The Sims 3. While you can spend time to do other stuffs, there is a penalty for ignoring the quest steps. Maybe they need to patch in a sandbox mode where after you reach an ambition, your kingdom can be saved for a sandbox style gaming where there is no quests but you can continue to play a character of your choice. Or maybe we have to wait for the sequel for this and maybe they'll implement aging and generations in that so that child will grow up and inherit.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 29, 2011, 02:16:06 AM

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 28, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

That's a hell of a tag line.  I almost want to try the game just based on that.

I will say that it's on the lighter side of The Guild.  Your off-spring aren't growing up and inheriting your position.  There are territories that you can make agreements with, and the Monarch can issue edicts with those territories.  I have liked what I've played so far.  Just don't come into this expecting the freedom that you have in Sims 3.  I actually like Medieval for this.  Sims 3 has too much freedom for me, which makes me never stop playing it.  That's bad for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »

webisode 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWYd1zeQGQw&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2011, 06:00:37 AM »

Two weeks later and I'm still playing this game. While I like The Sims games and collect all the expansions, I never played this much. Every single expansion probably got me to play 1 or 2 days and with some I just bought and never play until the next expansion was released then play 1-2 days.

I'm still on my second ambition and focus on professions that I didn't do much in my first ambition. I plan to level some of level 10 which I didn't do during the first ambition.

About the sandbox mode that I suggested in my last post. They included that in the game. When you finish an ambition, you can play that kingdom in sandbox mode with no goal.

Now my wish list is the ability to have the children grow up and inherit. So maybe an expansion or a sequel called The Sims Medieval Dynasty.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:04:20 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »

I imagine there will be plenty of expansions packs if this does well.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »

Pirates and Nobles is out today.  anyone still playing and planning on grabbing it?

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:45 AM »

Given I study medieval piracy, I should think about it.  slywink
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

Wow... that is a high price for not a lot of additions!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 31, 2011, 04:19:37 PM

Wow... that is a high price for not a lot of additions!

yeah, considering how quickly I burned out on the base game I don't see myself paying more than 10 bucks for this, if that.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: