http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 3 impressions and stuff: Generations  (Read 13247 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on June 04, 2009, 04:03:21 AM

I've been reading conflicting things about the player's ability to change the town's population...

Can you make up a bunch of sims and just stick them in houses in the town? Or are you limited to four lots/families to play with at one time?

Can you make NPCs and add them to the town's population? Are the NPCs the same every game?

I was able to make new Sims and drop them into my existing saved game.  You can either switch to play the new one(s) as your "main" or allow them to exist in the town.  I can't remember exactly how I was able to do it, but I think there is an "Edit Town" button which lets you add new Sims (another button actually bounces you back to the Sim creation tool).  I added Jack and Kate (from Lost) so far.  I was planning to see if they would eventually get together but I think I put Kate too far across town.  So instead I spent the rest of the night flirting with Jack myself lol Fabulous It was pretty funny when we were dancing together at 1 am and his housemate kicked me out.  I'll see how many Lost cast members I can make before I get bored.

Another oddity I ran into, and it may have been a mistake I made, but I ran into a copy of myself in the park while my "real" guy was at work.  That was kind of creepy.

I don't know if the NPCs are the same every game, but I think they are selected from a set pool.   
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2009, 06:56:49 AM »

Started a new sim yesterday, but didn't play him for very long. I deliberately made him very different from my other sims. He's a fat, lazy, dirty slob whose greatest aspiration is to watch TV all day and mooch food and money off anyone who bothers to listen to him for more than a few seconds. His lifetime goal is to marry a rich woman and take over her fortune when she dies. He refuses to take any job.

The first thing he did when I got him his apartment was to lie down in bed and dream about himself. After realizing that he would do this all day long if I didn't stop him, I sent him off to the park, where he seemed to be extremely fascinated by a statue there. He'd stare at it for hours, only interrupted by short bouts of crying. I did mention he's a loser, right? He's such a loser that he'll sometimes cry over his own misfortune until he bravely holds back the tears. Seeing that he was getting hungry, he started chatting up a girl who was passing by. A couple of short-term goals popped up as he did so, which were all very fitting for his personality. They were stuff like "Find out if she is rich" and "Mooch some money off her". Turned out she wasn't rich, she was in a relationship, and she was offended when he asked for money. At least he managed to make her give him some cereal (why was she carying around a bowl of cereal anyway?). He wandered off to a nearby bench and ate the cereal, then put the bowl on the ground. Giving it some extra thought, he picked the bowl back up, licked it clean, then put it back down again. A man can make a living like this!

I very much like how you'll get goals that are appropriate for your sim's personality. One of my other sims was very focused on having everything clean and tidy around him and would become unhappy with any amount of filth around. His goals would often be stuff like carrying out the trash, cleaning the dishes, or taking a bath (even if he was at full hygiene). Another sim who was very romantic and had a lifetime goal of becoming the girlfriend of 10 other sims often had goals like "Woohoo with *sim name*" and things related to romance and friendship.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

Hehe, that made me laugh TiLT!  The Sims 3 does sound fun, but in all honesty from what you guys are all saying it doesn't really sound much different to The Sims 2 so far.  Can anyone who's now played both games point out some differences?  For example, I've heard that apparently you won't have to manage their bladders so much in the new game.  Any truth to that?  Any truly new features?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »

I've played all the three Sims games, and I can say that this is the first one where you don't really have to micromanage anyone's needs. The sims are pretty good at doing what needs to be done without your input, and they have more time each day to do it. I've never seen a sim get anywhere close to soiling himself, and I've never seen them collapse from exhaustion or break down crying out of frustration over anything (well, except for Mr Bob Gump above who breaks out crying for no reason at all). You might sometimes want to override the things your sims want to do simply because they're doing them out of habit. For example, the girl I've mentioned a couple of times above is a computer geek. She'll often get up from bed and head directly for the computer to play games or chat even if she's hungry. If things got really bad though, she would be able to feed herself. It's just that she'd wait until the last second.

Your sims can also satisfy some of their needs at work. They can go to the bathroom and eat if needed, and they can even socialize if you tell them to.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 05, 2009, 11:47:54 AM

I've played all the three Sims games, and I can say that this is the first one where you don't really have to micromanage anyone's needs.

Well that pretty much was the final thing I needed to hear to be sold on a purchase.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

Quick Impressions after ~8 hours play:

I don't have as much time to play as I did when Sims 2 came out, so I'm not progressing quite as fast or getting bored quite as fast.

I've been through 16 or so game days. I created a single young adult sim, with the following traits: Brave, sense of humor, handy, athletic... and something else, maybe charismatic. After picking his traits, he got a choice of lifetime wishes, I opted for international super spy.

Let me tell you, the handy trait is really handy.

I bought an unfurnished 2 bed 1 bath on an oversized lot, threw in a double bed, couch, TV, kitchen table and a couple other odds and ends. I grabbed a newspaper and kicked off my career in law enforcement as a snitch (nice).

I'm pretty sure it was day 2 that my toilet broke, on day 4 the bathtub, broke... then the stove, the TV, the computer, the toilet again. I've yet to set the house on fire so I count that as a positive. The handy skill does give you some interesting options as you level it up. In the beginning you can tinker with things. I tinkered with the toilet and made it self-cleaning. After another level I got the ability to upgrade various things to self-cleaning, after a couple more levels I can now upgrade my stove to fireproof.

Some differences from Sims 2 - it's not as easy to get started as it was in Sims 2. The maid service is $125/day and some professions simply can't cover that at the beginning. I had to be careful with money for a while, but I managed to pull it off. Having the maid service saves you SOOO much time that can better be used for other things. I'm pretty sure I spend less time on the can.

The open city is cool, there are people all over the place to interact with all the time. You can drop in on your neighbors pretty much any time... I haven't tried cooking at the neighbors house, might be a good way to avoid the risk of fire. The police station is right next to the park, so after work I often skip the car pool, go to the park, flirt with the ladies and play some chess.

No more flirting now though, I'm engaged to a hot little thing that can't keep her hands off me. really I want a second income in the house so we can add on. Romance is pretty much the same as previous games.

As you might be able to tell, I'm enjoying the game so far. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

-Coop

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »

I'm seven sim days in and the woman has popped out one kid and has another bun in the oven.  she supposedly has a job as a baker but I have yet to see her go, it must be the preggers bit gives her paid time off.  with 2 babies already I'm running out of room for cribs, so it looks like it's time to add on a seperate nursery.

My main sims criminal career is doing well, he got promoted after catching wind of a police sting.  my French Maid went away though and got replaced with some dude.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »

I've been on the fence with this one, but it's slowly sucking me in.  Less micromanagement is the key factor, as I really think I'll enjoy the game if I don't have to constantly be babysitting my sim.  Might pick it up on the way home today.

One question:   Anyone know how it fares on older systems?  I've got an Athlon XP 3200, GF 7600, 2GB RAM, and running XP (plenty above the recommended specs), but wanted to check.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:01:46 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2009, 11:32:34 PM »

Going to pick this up for my daughter for some bonding time as a 13yr old girl is rather alien these days and it will be at least something I can do with her and she can show me all the different stuff.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »

Was starting to consider this and went to Amazon to check their price... and the comments there have pretty much killed any interest I had for this right out of the chute. Maybe later.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2009, 07:31:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2009, 02:26:29 PM

One question:   Anyone know how it fares on older systems?  I've got an Athlon XP 3200, GF 7600, 2GB RAM, and running XP (plenty above the recommended specs), but wanted to check.

It should run fine, it's running great on my GF's Athlon XP 2000+, X1650 and 2GB RAM with XP.  The loading time isn't that bad either, not as bad as sims 2 I think.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2009, 02:26:29 PM

I've been on the fence with this one, but it's slowly sucking me in.  Less micromanagement is the key factor, as I really think I'll enjoy the game if I don't have to constantly be babysitting my sim.  Might pick it up on the way home today.

Runs great on medium-high details on my P4 3.0ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI HD4850, with Win 7. Much faster then Sims 2 actually.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »

Picked this up over the weekend.  There seems to be less random-jackass-ringing-my-doorbell action than in past versions.  This is good.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

Yeah, I've had about 3 phone calls, and that's it smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 08, 2009, 02:42:42 PM

Picked this up over the weekend.  There seems to be less random-jackass-ringing-my-doorbell action than in past versions.  This is good.

That jackass is me now.  I'm slowly seducing all of the women in my neighborhood (married or otherwise) and killing off their husbands.  It's awesome...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »

has anyone tried just leaving their Sims to do whatever they want to do?  I'm thinking about firing it up tonight and letting it run while I play Red Faction Guerrilla to see how well they truly handle themselves.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2009, 04:07:47 PM

has anyone tried just leaving their Sims to do whatever they want to do?  I'm thinking about firing it up tonight and letting it run while I play Red Faction Guerrilla to see how well they truly handle themselves.

If the game is really worth its dime, you'll find most of the houses in the area are burned down from kitchen accidents , your wife has run off with the neighbors (wife) and you kid suddenly has 3 kids of its own, all of them working for a secred evil organisation hellbent on setting peoples kitchens on fire

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

Anyone know if there would be a problem transferring Sims 3 to someone else?  Picked this up against my better judgment (stupid GT forum effect  slywink) and have realized after another night of playing that it simply isn't my thing.  I'd like to sell it and imagine that I could just provide the buyer with my Sims 3 website login info for access (lord knows I won't need it for anything), but would installing the game on a new computer cause any problems?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »

If it is like the previous games then you are going to have problem with Sims not paying bills.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »

Daughter has now installed and played this. Brief impressions - bearing in mind she in on minimum spec (Nividia 5200!!). Game loads much quicker than Sims 2. She was irritated in Sims 2 that you couldn't set the shoes on the character screen - you now can, that was a huge plus. In fact she spent an hour on the character screen before even moving on.

Generally performance seems similar maybe slighly slower - but if its praise she is now planning to uninstalling Sims 2 (she has every add on pack!)

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »

Ok, I'm missing something.  My Sim isn't getting the Woohoo option.  I've got a chick to stay over at my...uh...trailer...but I saw the "Woohoo" option once and missed it.  What leads to it?  Her friendship meter thing is maxed....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 09, 2009, 07:10:27 PM

Ok, I'm missing something.  My Sim isn't getting the Woohoo option.  I've got a chick to stay over at my...uh...trailer...but I saw the "Woohoo" option once and missed it.  What leads to it?  Her friendship meter thing is maxed....

the only time I saw WooHoo as an option was after my sims married, and then it only pops up when they're both relaxing on the bed.  of course I had them married within the first couple of sim days of playing so I moved rather quickly.

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on June 08, 2009, 10:24:45 PM

If it is like the previous games then you are going to have problem with Sims not paying bills.

yep, they won't pay bills on their own.  I wish they did.

One thing I have found is that if I keep knocking my wife up she gets paid time off, so she's home all the time to clean and take care of the kids.  I think I'll keep her as a baby factory instead of hiring a maid  icon_twisted

Because I can,
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »

I've read that you have to select that you want to "go steady" with a non-spouse if you want to make with the Woohoos.   I am not sure this is accurate, nor would I engage in such scandalous behavior!  icon_redface

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2009, 08:16:54 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on June 09, 2009, 08:09:54 PM

I've read that you have to select that you want to "go steady" with a non-spouse if you want to make with the Woohoos.   I am not sure this is accurate, nor would I engage in such scandalous behavior!  icon_redface

I've definitely woohoo'd outside of a relationship... well actually I haven't but my sim has.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »

The romantic options can be hard to get until you realize how they work. At the most basic level, you'll have access to stuff like "Flirt", "Flirtatious Joke", "Compliment Appearance", etc. Do a few of those, and you'll unlock the next set of options, such as "First Kiss", "Confess Attraction", and so on. Pay attention to the other sim's thoughts about your sim while doing this. It'll start out saying (hopefully) that he/she thinks your sim is being flirty. Then it'll go through a few other stages, such as alluring and irresistible. If you see it drop back to Flirty or anything that doesn't sound romantic, you've done something wrong.

Here's the trick though: If you break up the romantic stuff with a friendly action for example, your romantic level will drop instantly again, even if married. You need to bring it back up by going through the motions again. If you've previously made the sim fall in love with you, it'll be easier to get to the interesting levels (which is what's happening with those of you who can only Woohoo! after marriage or going steady).

In other words, if you want to WooHoo!, you need to keep spamming the romantic conversation options. Try not to repeat the same ones too much, or you'll bore the other sim. Don't try non-romantic stuff until you've achieved your romantic goals.

My latest sim (a struggling artist) slept with 6 different girls before getting married with no problems. He'd usually get them to bed within minutes of them coming inside his door to visit.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »

in case anyone's had any performance issues, a performance guide.

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2009, 04:25:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2009, 03:49:00 AM

in case anyone's had any performance issues, a performance guide.

A badly written and illogical guide.

1. Page 3, Object Hiding. On 53 fps, off 50 fps. The article claimed that the performance hit is small and worth it. Object hiding detracts from the look of the game. Then it recommended to turn Object Hiding On?

2. Page 4, Enable Advanced Rendering. On 72 fps, off 51 fps. The article claimed that Advanced Rendering improve the look of the game. Then it suggested to turn it off to improve performance??? Hey, 72 fps > 51 fps. What the use of doing a benchmark if they're not going to just make suggestion no based on benchmarking but based on guessing?

3. Page 7, Lighting and Shadows. High 105 fps, medium 108 fps, low 117 fps. Low almost no shadow, medium most objects have shadows, high better looking and detailed shadow. Recommendation Medium??? For only 3 fps? Why sacrifice quality of shadow if it is only 3 fps. If the frame rate is too low then might as well turn it to low instead of only slightly improve the fps by going down from high to medium.

4. Page 7 Tree Detail. High 65, medium 66, low 69. At Low the trees are ugly. At medium look okay. At high add more detail. Recommendation: Medium??? Once again, why sacrifice quality for 1 extra fps? If it run okay a medium then might as well run it at high. If it is not okay at high then running at medium won't help much, just go to low and get the bad quality but high fps.

5. Page 9 Sim Detail. Very High 110 fps, High 115 fps, Medium 115 fps, Low 117 fps. Recommendation: Low??? Just for the cost of 2 extra fps, you can run it at high.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2009, 04:37:16 AM »

my apologies, I was distracted and was thinking that was a TweakGuides article which are normally decent so I just skimmed over it  icon_redface  still, I'd try out those setting myself but I'm currently having video card issues (basically my cards shot and I'm stuck running in standard VGA mode with no bells or whistles) and won't be playing much of anything for the next week or so.

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2009, 05:02:51 AM »

My daughters machine gets random lock ups when playing it. It could be the pc but anyone else getting this?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:03 AM »

Sims 3 arrived yesterday and works fine on my wife's computer upstairs. But I'm getting a disc authentication error on my Windows XP computer. The program won't start at all.

Apparently quite a number of people are having the same problem, but they are mostly people running a particular brand of Matsushita drive, which I'm not, or some particular DVD burning software programs, but I'm not running those either. I tried removing my DVD burning software, but that didn't help.

Frustrating. My wife uses her computer a lot, so essentially I've got a coaster at this point.

I've got a support ticket out with EA Software, which has always been good for a diversionary laugh in the past, so at least there should be some good humor forthcoming. I bet the first response I get (if I get one at all), will tell me that the problem might be a Matsushita drive (which I mention I don't have in the body of the email) or some software called DLA (which I also mention I don't have).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:52:25 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »

let the Sims music videos flow freely!

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »

anyone still playing this? I just got it for my daugthers and they seem to love it

One thing though, while the game recoqnized the serial code without a hitch, the online registration didnt at all... A bit annoying, since I cant get new stuff then

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 13, 2009, 04:36:04 PM

anyone still playing this?

I don't have it yet!  But my girlfriend professed a yearning to play The Sims again, so I suggested she buy this latest one.  She probably will soon. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »

This was my first Sim(s)game. I tried, I really tried to like it. But I just couldn't find the "fun" in this type of gameplay.
It all felt tedious and work like. And the reward for the tedium just wasn't there, for me.

I know there are some who just don't understand the whole MMO thing. Which is the genre I love most.
So I'll just believe its a taste thing and for some these games are the bees knees.

I'm glad I bought it though. I've been wondering all these years since the first one came out if I'd like it or not.
At least that one question is answered.

Now to find out my true purpose on this Earth. That's always been my other question.  icon_wink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2009, 03:57:21 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 13, 2009, 04:36:04 PM

anyone still playing this? I just got it for my daugthers and they seem to love it

One thing though, while the game recoqnized the serial code without a hitch, the online registration didnt at all... A bit annoying, since I cant get new stuff then

Third Sims game for me and the third time that the game just drops off a wall for me. I'll be having a great time, loving the game, then all of a sudden after about 10-15 hours, I realize I'm bored beyond belief. The game goes from a 9 to a 1 like no other game I've played.

Funny thing is that I'll probably end up going back to the game and doing the same thing a year from now, so I'll end up getting my money's worth.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

Merry X-Mas from the Sims!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

you can now create your own world if you're still playing that is.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »

more on the create a world and also the ability to design items too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »

news cars for the Sims from Renault.

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »

I still don't understand why they can't focus on converting the good stuff form 2 first.

There still isn't a Piano for instance. Open for Business is also a no-brainer to bring over in my book.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: