http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:12:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 3 impressions and stuff: Generations  (Read 13473 times)
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

I preordered today from Gogamer $39.99. I'm looking forward to it as I have never played "'The Sims" before.

I bought a new outfit just to play the game in  Tongue.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:38:09 PM by Goonch » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »

and not surprisingly....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 04:00:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 19, 2009, 03:52:03 AM

From the article:

In an amusing twist, while the torrent appears to be a popular download, many pirates are claiming the game is for their girlfriends, not themselves.
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 08:28:54 AM »

Well I'm happy enough to wait for the real deal and as it is I am in the interested observer status anyway as I am a flight/fps sim junkie and aint to sure if this is truely something I will enjoy but am prepared to give it a go if the reviews come in as good.
Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »

I have The Sims and all expansions. I have The Sims 2 and all expansions. The only thing that can stop me from buying The Sims 3 plus all expansions is if they have some form of limited online activation DRM.

BTW, I'm not going to buy it for my girlfriend. I'm going to buy it for myself. smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »

Hmm... never played the sims nor had much of an interest in it other than building the houses, which I always thought might be fun.

But someone earlier in the thread (CK?) mentioned building sims based on people you know or on people in this forum.  THAT interests me.  But since I know less than Arclight (times about a hundred) about the game, I need to know if you can:

1. Build all your own sim people.  If I wanted to take the time and create like 30 people from our forum, can that be done?

2. Pluck those people into the game, and just watch them develop.  Or do I have to physically monitor all of them and make sure they all go to the bathroom and build houses for all of them individually?  I would never have the patience to do that.

3. "Take over" any of their actions or influence their actions at anytime.  Like for instance if I wanted to make Soulchilde quit his job and become an alcoholic who hangs out at the local bar 90% of the time, or make Devil an alien worshipper who decorates his house in StarWars models.  Could I do that anytime I want, or do I only have control of one main guy?

4. Sit back and just watch what happens whenever I want.  Or MUST I always be doing something to keep people alive and stuff?  Also, while I'm sitting around just watching, can I pop into an architect mode and just design Ceekay's next mansion after he gets back from Mars?

I'm sorry if these questions seem kind of dumb, but I seriously know nothing about the game.  I had always thought you just designed houses and dressed you sims in fancy clothes.  From reading this thread, I'm guessing it's quite a bit deeper than I thought.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on May 19, 2009, 08:37:12 AM

BTW, I'm not going to buy it for my girlfriend. I'm going to buy it for myself. smile

Yeah, if I grab this one, it's totally for me. My fiancee wouldn't be interested in it. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:12 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 19, 2009, 01:11:53 PM

But since I know less than Arclight (times about a hundred) about the game, I need to know if you can:

1. Build all your own sim people.  If I wanted to take the time and create like 30 people from our forum, can that be done?

2. Pluck those people into the game, and just watch them develop.  Or do I have to physically monitor all of them and make sure they all go to the bathroom and build houses for all of them individually?  I would never have the patience to do that.

3. "Take over" any of their actions or influence their actions at anytime.  Like for instance if I wanted to make Soulchilde quit his job and become an alcoholic who hangs out at the local bar 90% of the time, or make Devil an alien worshipper who decorates his house in StarWars models.  Could I do that anytime I want, or do I only have control of one main guy?

You can populate the neighborhood with as many custom-created people as you like.  The franchise traditionally considers members of the same household to be a "family" and assigns them all the same last name, but sims do differentiate between friendships, romances, and relatives, allowing you to specify that SimPeteRock is married to SimMoosNukle, but merely roommates with SimSenuousLettuce.

In The Sims 2 time only passed for whichever family you were currently playing, leading to some bizarre discontinuities where kids on one property would grow up, get jobs, and move out on their own while their schoolyard friends remained eternally 10-years old.  The aging issue was partially addressed in one of the later expansions, but generally speaking, sims would only ever change and evolve if you took an active hand in guiding their lives.

Here's the twist: the big hook of The Sims 3 is that it supposedly simulates the activities of every sim in the neighborhood at all times, so time passes for everyone equally.  Sims will age, develop friendships, date, and generally be able to live their own lives without your direct intervention.  How well it actually works is up in the air at this point, but the answer to your second two questions is a tentative, "Yes, you can see how your sims develop on their own and/or reach in and start directing their lives at any time."

Quote from: Lockdown on May 19, 2009, 01:11:53 PM

4. Sit back and just watch what happens whenever I want.  Or MUST I always be doing something to keep people alive and stuff?  Also, while I'm sitting around just watching, can I pop into an architect mode and just design Ceekay's next mansion after he gets back from Mars?

Sims in the new game are supposed to a lot more self-sufficient than ever before, with streamlined bodily needs and the ability to find a meal, toilet, and shower for themselves.  Early previews seem to back that up.

Unless something has drastically changed from the first two games, you can pause the game and enter into Build or Buy mode at any time to renovate and redecorate.  This costs simoleons if the property is inhabited, but if you just want to experiment and design the most glorious mansion you can imagine, you can always jump over to an empty lot and build whatever you please.  There are also some pre-built homes that can inserted into an existing neighborhood if you're just looking for a quick expansion.

-Autistic Angel
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »

That's some good info there AA which just peaked my interest a little further
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »

That's interesting.  I really don't know if I would get into this type of game or not... but I'm interested enough now to go watch some videos on the Sims 3 and see what I think.  Thank you.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on May 20, 2009, 03:36:00 AM

That's interesting.  I really don't know if I would get into this type of game or not... but I'm interested enough now to go watch some videos on the Sims 3 and see what I think.  Thank you.

just think, you can turn Soulchilde into a homeless bum  Tongue

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »

Not ever playing a Sims game I'm not sure how stupid this sounds..but has the idea of taking this game into the MMO genre ever come up?

What would you grind on? Wait!!!! don't answer that...

Would leveling up mean....."Your movin on up, to a deluxe apartment in the skyyyyy"....

Would PvP consist of planting dandelions on your neighbors lawn while they were sleeping?
Or steeling his hub caps and slashing his tires so he's late for work the next day?

These are things I ask myself...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2009, 03:42:24 AM

Quote from: Lockdown on May 20, 2009, 03:36:00 AM

just think, you can turn Soulchilde into a homeless bum  Tongue

Wait, you mean he's not? icon_lol

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »

hehe, wel - it's been done already and died out quickly. As far as I can remember, it was mostly due to bad publicity regarding child offenders of some sort, and generally people being extremely offensive towards eachother in the game

you can read about it here: http://planetthesims.gamespy.com/thesimsonline/

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 20, 2009, 10:02:31 AM

Not ever playing a Sims game I'm not sure how stupid this sounds..but has the idea of taking this game into the MMO genre ever come up?

What would you grind on? Wait!!!! don't answer that...

Would leveling up mean....."Your movin on up, to a deluxe apartment in the skyyyyy"....

Would PvP consist of planting dandelions on your neighbors lawn while they were sleeping?
Or steeling his hub caps and slashing his tires so he's late for work the next day?

These are things I ask myself...

I played the Sims online and it was actually a lot of fun.  It was pretty much the only MMO I ever played and was actually social.  I think it failed because the marketing for it was pretty pathetic.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »

Ahh, I never knew that.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 19, 2009, 08:56:12 PM

Sims in the new game are supposed to a lot more self-sufficient than ever before, with streamlined bodily needs and the ability to find a meal, toilet, and shower for themselves.  Early previews seem to back that up.

I always liked the general idea of The Sims, but the constant bathroom and food babysitting drove me nuts.  Felt like I was spending 75% of my time either making food, eating food, cleaning up food, or peeing - none of which made for a terribly compelling game.  Good to hear they've tweaked this a bit.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 20, 2009, 03:12:10 PM

I always liked the general idea of The Sims, but the constant bathroom and food babysitting drove me nuts.  Felt like I was spending 75% of my time either making food, eating food, cleaning up food, or peeing - none of which made for a terribly compelling game.  Good to hear they've tweaked this a bit.

They got rid of a large portion of this with The Sims 2. there was far less micromanagement.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »

LOL  icon_lol

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 20, 2009, 03:37:25 PM

They got rid of a large portion of this with The Sims 2. there was far less micromanagement.

They did?  It didn't feel that much different than the original to me, but maybe I didn't play it long enough to really notice.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2009, 03:39:37 PM

LOL  icon_lol

now thats pretty damn cool!! okay, I may actually have to buy this game now :-D

A new one
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »

Still maintaining a interest in this which means near on day 1 purchase but I think I'll wait a bit.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 20, 2009, 08:25:10 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on May 20, 2009, 03:37:25 PM

They did?  It didn't feel that much different than the original to me, but maybe I didn't play it long enough to really notice.

Your guys would potty for themselves, cook for themselves, etc.  They still had the needs and you could take care fo them yourself, but if you left them alone for long enough they would take care of the needs themselves as long as you gave them the tools (potty with a door, stove, fridge, etc. In the original, I don't think they did any of that.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »

All that fancy shit aside...

Can I still create a room with no windows, no doors, and only a stove and a fridge inside of it?

Add 1 Sim.

Maybe 2 if I'm feeling...

frisky.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 20, 2009, 10:33:18 PM

Can I still create a room with no windows, no doors, and only a stove and a fridge inside of it?

Add 1 Sim.

frisky.

how else do you think Mr. Lockdown and Mrs. Devil are going to live in my neighborhood?  Tongue

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2009, 10:50:55 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 20, 2009, 10:33:18 PM

Add 1 Sim.

frisky.

how else do you think Mr. Lockdown and Mrs. Devil are going to live in my neighborhood?  Tongue

icon_lol

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

Hardy har har...

On another note, I was in Target today and picked up the Sims 2 box, was looking at it, perusing the back, etc.. and then looked to my right.  All I could see was add-on after add-on after add-on for Sims 2.  I got intimidated by all the expansions, put the box down, and quietly backed away.  I seriously can't imagine how much money this game must make EA.  For a game-that-isn't-WoW, this franchise must make them bank.

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »

Obama makes an appearance!, and some lady named Susan Boyle too.

Because I can,
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »

My only hesitation with getting the game early is how well it'll play on my PC. With all the stuff they've added, it sounds like an incredibly demanding program.

I've got decent speed on my PC now, but Sims 2 took my older computer to the limit. I'm going to check to see how the game runs on systems similar to mine before I buy.

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »

They say that the system reqs will be pretty modest, and the previews I have read confirmed this.

I do know that Can You Run It? has the Sims 3 requirements listed for testing (but not the recommended).

Bael
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »

ok....sleeping bag? check. Laptop? Check. Thermos with coffee? check. Folding canvas chair? check..
All set to camp outside local EB to make sure Im one of the first to get this in a couple of days........... paranoid

Actually I will be getting this seeing as I dont have any MMO on the go at the moment. I'm gonna pop my Sim's cherry on this one. Pray for me.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 30, 2009, 11:09:03 PM

ok....sleeping bag? check. Laptop? Check. Thermos with coffee? check. Folding canvas chair? check..
All set to camp outside local EB to make sure Im one of the first to get this in a couple of days........... paranoid

Actually I will be getting this seeing as I dont have any MMO on the go at the moment. I'm gonna pop my Sim's cherry on this one. Pray for me.

At least you aren't being a drama queen about it.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2009, 01:47:27 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 30, 2009, 11:29:14 PM

Quote from: Arclight on May 30, 2009, 11:09:03 PM

At least you aren't being a drama queen about it.

Hopefully there will be a patch on the day it releases. Because it crashing and burning like crazyyyyy..... I picked my copy up today, loaded it up and play 1/4 of the tutorial (nothing new). selected the Martinez family with a difficulty of 2, bought a house choosing to have it furnished for and extra $300.00. loaded it up, played with the interface a while to familiarize myself. I quickly saw I will need to revisit the tutorial. sent the sim to the restroom to see animation and all that good stuff...Crash...
reloaded.. no auto save  so I created a sim, built a house, this took twice as long as the fist game so I felt all was good. Load the city, moved to greet a neighbor...Crash.... WTF
Reloaded the game grabbed a family loaded city played around a bit and boom...
Crash, Crash, Crash....
Google.com and that shit is all over the Web...FUCK...
I will just wait until they get a patch going tomorrow actually I am going call up my friend who works at the EA building up the road and find out what the hell is the issue.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2009, 01:59:27 AM »

Are they breaking street date or did you pirate it? (That may be your answer.)

And it crashing is not all over the net. That it has been leaked and people are playing a pirated version is all over the net.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:02:48 AM by Lee » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on May 31, 2009, 01:47:27 AM

I picked my copy up today

That's not a phrase one often uses when pirating games. Also, as I recall based on previous posting, where JuniorDan lives release dates are more of a suggestion than a rule.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 31, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

That's not a phrase one often uses when pirating games. Also, as I recall based on previous posting, where JuniorDan lives release dates are more of a suggestion than a rule.

Orlando?

That said, we know that 180,000 copies of Sims 3 have been pirated so far, and it would be a pretty good estimate to assume that in the US fewer than 100 copies of Sims 3 have been sold before street date.  We also know that the pirated version is a buggy, prerelease build, while the retail copy is apparently much more stable.  So when someone says they are playing a buggy copy of the game three or four days before release, I can't fault Lee for jumping to the more likely conclusion.

That said, I don't really care one way or another for myself, except that I'd really like to buy the game locally, and it becomes much easier to break down the hard street date barrier when one can produce pics of store receipts to show their local retailer that competitors are breaking the date.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:53:45 PM by Shkspr » Logged
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »

Well it seems my issues with the game is resolved. I just needed to to update my ATI drivers. My kids being playing for 6hr now with no issues. 

As for the Pirate comments, No I don't Pirate, its the real deal. The game been in stores for over a week now. You have your big name retailers EB, WalMart, Target ect, then there is the little people that sell games also if I happen to know the owner well enough, what you think I am going wait for some freaking street dates?  Lets not forget I live in Orlando, EA's office is right up the street from me. Everyone knows its all about who you know.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »

JuniorDan gets GF2 early

That's the only one I could find easily, but I definitely remember him getting lucky more than once.

Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:13 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on May 31, 2009, 09:44:10 PM

We also know that the pirated version is a buggy, prerelease build, while the retail copy is apparently much more stable.

We don't know that until we have the retail copy and compare it to the one that the pirates got. It is possible they're identical. EA had to claim that the pirated copies are prerelease and unstable build to counter the bad review from those who pirated it to prevent people from cancelling preorder. If the retail version end up being identical, they can just leak a buggy version and claim that they were  talking about that version instead of lying.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on May 31, 2009, 10:27:25 PM

Everyone knows its all about who you know.
\

Apparently it's also about whether or not the people you know are honest, since preshipping requires a contract with EA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: