http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 03:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The silence of Spore  (Read 2462 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »

Wow, a year a 1/2 ago, I was so über-excited about Spore that I swore that I couldn't wait until its release.  Now, I don't think I've heard word one about the game in 6+ months.  What happened?  Has anybody heard anything about this recently?

p.s.  There have been plenty of fantastic games to draw my attention away from its absence.

xbox live: nude rick james
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

I suspect that EA is just trying to get through the year and then we'll hear plenty.  smile  It is still coming in 08.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »

If you're curious, go find the latest issue of the UK magazine Edge, which is carried by most Borders Books and Barnes & Noble stores.

This is the November issue, and the cover story is on Rock Band (cover art is a big closeup of a guitar amp).

There's a lengthy, hands-OFF preview of Spore on Page 30. It's not exactly recent though -- it's from the German game show in Leipzig a while back and they weren't allowed to play it, only watch it being played (which sounds vaguely obscene  drool).

I assume moderators would frown upon me posting a scan or photo of the two page story, so I'll refrain from that. But, I think I can post a pic of the cover, so you know what to look for. smile

Basically, they are more impressed with the tools and editor than with the gameplay itself (which has probably been the skepticism about this from day one). Their last paragraph (unlike US mags, Edge is skeptical in most of its previews, sometimes to the point of bad-mouthing stuff before it's even close to release, for better or worse):
Quote from: Edge magazine
It is a worry that, in trying to cover so many different game types, the promise of each will be reduced. Spore's central and ingeniously implemented selling point is the editor which enables the creation of so much in its world -- but if this world is then only periodically engaging in its behavior, Maxis may have created a briefly brilliant toy rather than an enduringly entertaining game.
I love Edge, and it's really the only gaming magazine (it's multiplatform, including PC, but basically console-focused) I bother buying off the newsstand, even if it feels overpriced ($8.99, but you can now get a U.S. subscription that's a lot cheaper per issue); also, oddly, there are no bylines in the whole magazine (aside from personal columns). They claim this is some sort of UK censorship issue, but I'm not really sure.  icon_confused

Anyway, just bear in mind that if they're only doing "hands off" demo play throughs of the game, then it probably is still going through balancing and playtesting. I'm so tired of over-hyped games at this point, I would welcome Maxis battening this thing down hype-wise until they have ironed out gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:57:31 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 23, 2007, 12:45:43 AM

Quote from: Edge magazine
It is a worry that, in trying to cover so many different game types, the promise of each will be reduced. Spore's central and ingeniously implemented selling point is the editor which enables the creation of so much in its world -- but if this world is then only periodically engaging in its behavior, Maxis may have created a briefly brilliant toy rather than an enduringly entertaining game.

aka Black & White: Redux?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:33:40 AM »

I'm guessing the people paying the bills told them to STFU and get the game finished.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »

They need Jade Raymond.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:50:52 PM »

From that old presentation of Spore, the game struck me as actually a handful of games wrapped into one.

While some of the games looked like fun, the project seemed incredibly ambitious and much too broad. Almost like trying to make and release Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron as one perfectly meshed game.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 29, 2007, 07:50:52 PM

From that old presentation of Spore, the game struck me as actually a handful of games wrapped into one.

While some of the games looked like fun, the project seemed incredibly ambitious and much too broad. Almost like trying to make and release Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron as one perfectly meshed game.

When you really look at it, Spore isn't really a new game.  This is SimCity, The Sims, SimEarth, SimAnt, SimTower, SimLife, and to a lesser degree SimCopter (for space missions) all rolled into one ginormous game.  Ambitious?  Yea....but only somebody like Will Wright could pull it off.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:30:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 29, 2007, 08:12:56 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 29, 2007, 07:50:52 PM

When you really look at it, Spore isn't really a new game.  This is SimCity, The Sims, SimEarth, SimAnt, SimTower, SimLife, and to a lesser degree SimCopter (for space missions) all rolled into one ginormous game.  Ambitious?  Yea....but only somebody like Will Wright could pull it off.

Well yeah, but that combination is the real appeal of it.  Maybe.

My worry isn't so much that there will be so much combined, but that certain aspects will simply be lesser parts of the game, and it ends up just being a 4x game with a bunch of crap thrown in.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »

Well...  from my perspective, that combination would be fun if I could change the scope of my play at any point; switch from the SimEarth to SimAnt at random, etc...  That lends itself more to a huge sandbox game than to a game about evolution and galactic domination.  Either way, I retain high hopes for Spore and hope that Will Wright still has it in him to pull some crazy shit that other people can't do.

xbox live: nude rick james
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they bring Soren Johnson (Civ IV genius guy) onto the project to help with the gameplay elements of the title? 

I had thought that Will Wright was getting all kinds of praise about the design, the tools, the interface, and the general creative side of the game, but that the actual gameplay itself kinda' blew.  Enter Soren.

I'm not keeping up with Spore, but I thought that was the jist of it.  Am I totally off-base or thinking of a different game?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 07:23:35 PM »

I think the whole switching from (or between?) micro to macro is my major concern.  Because it may be fun at the beginning to control one guy and make him eat stuff, etc, but are you going to be doing that while you are trying to fight an interplanetary war?  Probably not.

In Civ, for example, you spend a lot of time adjusting crops and workers and tech when you are in the early part of the game, but when you are in the later stages of the game... not so much.  It's one thing to do it when you have 1-5 cities, but quite another when you have 50+.

So my worry isn't that you won't have that stuff, but rather that each "stage" of the game is fun and useful, and that stuff you do early on doesn't end up becoming a repetitive (and possibly required) chore.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »

To my understanding, once you've 'evolved' to the next generation, you stop doing the previous stuff.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

not to be a jackass, but i think theyre desperately trying to figure out how to turn a bunch of neat ideas and tech into, you know, a game

i would think it works better if you do it the other way around
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 01:15:57 AM »

wouldn't surprise me if they turned this into episodic content.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:58 PM »

September 7, 2008

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »

great, a release date.  how about some new screenshots, movies, non-developer hands on impressions.  it's hard to get excited during a blackout.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »

Quote from: Caine on February 12, 2008, 07:03:40 PM

great, a release date.  how about some new screenshots, movies, non-developer hands on impressions.  it's hard to get excited during a blackout.

Working on it.  slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 12, 2008, 07:09:05 PM

Quote from: Caine on February 12, 2008, 07:03:40 PM

Working on it.  slywink

awesome news KD. 

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 12, 2008, 06:53:58 PM

September 7, 2008

Source?  Besides, a release date seven months from now isn't worth the pixels its printed on.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on February 12, 2008, 07:30:23 PM

Source? 

a pile of chicken bones and the guts of a year dead baboon.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »

PC & DS? Awesome. I hope the game is fun with that kind of control.biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »

Hands on with Teh Spore!!11!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: