http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Revolution has begun...(IGN chan, specs, launch date?)  (Read 10507 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:52:57 AM »

http://revolution.ign.com/

Along with the channel, a few details have emerged.

IGN seems to think the Revolution's gonna launch around Thanksgiving 2006, which will be the GameCube's 5th year anniversery.

The Revolution will not be as powerful hardware-wise as the 360.  For comparison, the Rev will feature nearly triple the power of the GameCube (in terms of ram with 128), but still behind the 512 in the 360.

I don't think anyone expected the Revolution to be on par with the 360/PS3.  Nintendo is clearly going for a different market.  It's not like the games will be ugly.  Just take a look at the Metroid Prime games, Resident Evil 4 or the upcoming Twlight Princess.  And imagine that x 3.  That'll be the potential of the Revolution.

I'm incredibly excited to see what kind of stuff Nintendo's going to give us.  And I REALLY want to go to E3 this year (since IGN thinks that's where they will do a lot of unveiling).

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:57:29 AM »

This should be interesting...

(pulls up a chair and grabs some popcorn)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:00:47 AM »

Animal Crossing has been confirmed for the Revolution.

The team behind Killer 7 will be devloping a game, as well.

And I was just thinking about this...Metroid Prime 3 will control like a dream with the controller.

Smash Bros. Revolution?  With online play?  That's a fucking wet dream of mine.

TheMissingLink on PSN
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:15:51 AM »

I have a feeling we are going to see a strong launch line-up.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 07:03:36 AM »

I know Nintendo isn't big on graphics, but haven't they said that the Revolution will be comparable with the other 2?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:05:03 AM »

I was disappointed to hear that the system really will lag behind the 360 and PS3 in terms of hardware, but I was happy to hear that the devs are really into the new control scheme, which is the heart of the system, as far as I'm concerned.

So Nintendo's going to let Sony go head to head with MS, dropping out of the fight? As long as I enjoy the games, I really don't care.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:18:34 AM »

I think Nintendo's perfectly okay with MS and Sony duking it out like hell for SUPREMACY with the hardcore gamers, while they satisfy an entirely untapped market.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 07:43:20 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I think Nintendo's perfectly okay with MS and Sony duking it out like hell for SUPREMACY with the hardcore gamers, while they satisfy an entirely untapped market.

The question is whether that untapped market is inclusive of gamers or not.  I shudder when I hear Miyamoto talk about how games are too hard or we start waving a remote control around as a controller.  Don't get me wrong, the Rev and it's controller could be very cool - the question is will it be used for mass-audience Eye Toy type games or will it be used for games that hardcore gamers are interested in.

I can very easily see a Revolution that sells lots of systems to people who don't game right now and that has zero games that interest me on it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:08:57 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

The question is whether that untapped market is inclusive of gamers or not.  I shudder when I hear Miyamoto talk about how games are too hard or we start waving a remote control around as a controller.  Don't get me wrong, the Rev and it's controller could be very cool - the question is will it be used for mass-audience Eye Toy type games or will it be used for games that hardcore gamers are interested in.

I can very easily see a Revolution that sells lots of systems to people who don't game right now and that has zero games that interest me on it.

I kinda though the same about the DS when they announced it too. I got one on launch day, and LOVE it.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 08:16:15 AM »

Personally I could care less about the Revolution, although I find it funny that Nintendo has always said their systems were "for games" when they were compared to the competition. (Ie, the ps2 and xbox having dvd drives and multimedia features while the gamecube didn't, nintendo DS only able to play games while the PSP can play movies, go online, listen to mp3s, watch TV, etc. - nintendo always saying they wanted a "game system". So what's going on here? Have they backed out from that view point?)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 10:45:19 AM »

Your Nintendo hate hurts baby Mario.

Dude, you just contradicted yourself.  Nintendo's systems are "for games" . . . and you're complaining how the Revolution isn't?  Hunh?  A controller with a sensor and such isn't for games?  Then what is it for . . .?  Does a system having lower specs than other next-gen systems indicate that the company isn't in it "for the games"?  Or perhaps being original and offering gamers an alternative in video game technology isn't "for the games" either?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 12:46:50 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I know Nintendo isn't big on graphics, but haven't they said that the Revolution will be comparable with the other 2?

A recent bit in the latest EGM said that developers were a bit underwhelmed with the Revolutions graphical potential and that the games wouldn't look much different (graphically) from Gamecube games.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 01:06:40 PM »

Only 128MB of RAM is going to really hurt the system in the long run. That is just way to small an amount.

I'm sure the Revolution will have some good games, but it's just going to be another N64/Gamecube. Too few 3rd party games and just a few strong 1st party games to carry the system, except it is going to really look bad compared to the PS3 and 360 this time around.

No support for HDTV's (480p only), 128MB of RAM,  a wacky remote control for a controller. You Nintendoaholics can spin this like crazy all you want, but I think it is going to be a huge failure. Sony and MS are going to crush Nintendo this time around. If it was anywhere near the level of the PS3 and 360, then they might have a shot....but damn it is going to be severely underpowered.

The only thing that may save it, is the ability to play all the old Nintendo games. Hell, I might buy it just for that.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 01:21:36 PM »

I can't wait!!! Mario Party 53 and hopefully another Mario Kart!!

:wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »

Seriously, I think Nintendo is making a mistake.   I guess there is a market out there for them, but letting Sony and MS duke it out is not a good idea.  

Must gamers expect the Next Gen systems to look great and play even better.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »

This is the beginning of the end.

Console's hang around a LOOOOOONG time. 5+ years.. and being behind a system that launched a year earlier is incredibly stupid.

Dont forget Cube was better looking than the PS2 in the graphix dept NOT WORSE..

And I DONT like the turn Nintendo took with the CUBE..

MARIO PARTY 7?!?!?! holy crap.

Mario Rugby?

Its gone too far.

I want Nintendo back. I want great games.

I will buy one, For the new Mario, for the new Zelda...

Im going to say something horribly unpopular.

The DS is a mediocre machine..

I have all but abandoned it.. gave it to the kids so that they can rub cocker spaniels all day. PLEASE.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »

Hank!!?!?!?!?!

Do you know what you've done!!!!????

Run and hide!!

(I agree with every word)

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 01:53:48 PM »

This thread is going to be a good one

+1

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 02:42:13 PM »

I think that going off of just the RAM is faulty logic if that's the basis for claiming the machine will be "only 3 times as powerful as the Cube".  There are other factors to take into account, primarily the processor and architecture.  If the system follows the same architecture that the Cube did, with many of the features hardcoded into the system that would otherwise need to be programmed into a game, then that would reduce the workload that would need more RAM.

That said, it's also obvious that Nintendo is not gunning to be on par with the raw power of the 360 or the PS3.  I, personally, am fine with that.  Between being less expensive and with the other capabilities being built into the system (along with the great new controller's possibilities), I think that I will be perfectly happy with the Revolution.  It'll have enough added horsepower to make for plenty games that couldn't be done on the Cube.

Heck, I'm thrilled with my DS, even though the graphics power of the system is notably less than that of the PSP.  That's no big deal to me; the games being made for the system are taking advantage of the strengths of the platform rather than just being watered down due to the weaknesses.

Yes, cost is a factor for me.  Am I interested in the 360?  Sure, when it reaches down to the $200 range.  The system is powerful and the games look great.

I have to disagree with Hank's estimation that the DS is a mediocre machine.  Is the GBA mediocre?  The DS is leaps and bounds beyond the GBA, and that alone should indicate that the system is at least a significant step beyond what came before it.  You want to crack on Nintendogs?  That's fine.  Where are the great PSP games to counter the likes of Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars DS, Kirby, Meteos (ok, it could be argued that Lumines counters that one), Mario & Luigi, Yoshi Touch-n-go, and various other fantastic titles either out or coming soon?

I honestly don't care that much about a system's graphical prowess.  I care about the quality of games coming out for it.  My first current-gen system was the PS2.  I wasn't planning on getting one so early, but between Gran Turismo 3, FFX, and Metal Gear Solid 2, I realized that the system already was shaping up to have a strong stable of games that would only get better.  My Cube was my second purchase (though, granted, I got that on launch day).  I did eventually get an X-Box, too.

I'm a gamer.  I love games.  I play games like Geneforge 2, which looks like crap but offers fantastic gameplay.  The Revolution won't be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3?  *shrugs*  Meh, ok.  Won't argue that, because it's true.  But does that somehow make the system less worthwhile?  If you're a graphics whore, sure.  I like pretty graphics too.  I'd love HD graphics too.  But if it's a choice between paying $400-500 for a prettier system or $150-200 for a slightly less pretty system with games that are just as solid on gameplay (regardless of the "kiddie" factor), well, I'll take the second option, thank you.  I'd be saying the same thing regardless of who the producer of that second system was.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 02:45:44 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"

+1

Did you just +1 your own post?

I'd normally be 10 kinds of skeptical about the underpowered Revolution relying on its controller gimick.  However, I was probably 20 kinds of skeptical about the Nintendo DS, and I'm amazed at all the great gameplay that's come out for it.  If anyone can pull off that goofy controller, it's Nintendo.

I think the Revolution will do well as a second system for a lot of gamers.  Buy a 360 or a PS3 which will offer similar top end performance, and buy a cheaper (hopefully cheaper?) Revolution to offer games that you won't be able to find on the 360 and PS3.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »

One thing's for sure - Nintendo's taking a huge risk.  In some ways if they fail with the Revo it might be good.  People have been clamoring for Nintendo to become a software company for awhile now and the Revo tanking might be what it takes for that to happen.

That said I'm sure I'll buy either a PS3 or a 360.  What I'm also sure of is I'll buy a Revolution.  That's what Nintendo's aiming for.  They don't appear to want to/be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft.  Perhaps they'll be happy being the "other console" people have.  Maybe there's an untapped market out there.  Maybe they'll die a slow, horrible death.

I will say I'm happy they're doing something wacky with the Revolution.  I really don't want another console that looks and plays the same as the other two.  I'm old enough to not be wowed by graphical bells and whistles.  If they can do something truly unique and creative more power to them.  If not, well good game.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 03:06:48 PM »

I really, really like the 360 so far, the whole package, integrated Live, the updated graphics, etc.  For me, the Revolution is going to have to do something really cool, really fun.  I like the integrated 360 media functions, though I wasn't sure I would until I've streamed pictures/music for nice little slideshows on my TV.  

The Revolution can win me over though with a really cheap price, cool controls, and fun games that I can play with my kids.  I'm not a huge Zelda or Metroid fan, but if the games are good ones, that make my kids think, I'm sold.  

Nintendo's Cube games were mostly disappointments for me, so I'll wait and see.  There was the excellent Eternal Darkness, but then not much else that I liked.  

It will be hard buying the Revolution though, if the PS3 and 360 have games with graphics that far exceed the Revolution because of the HDTV support.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Quote from: "tru1cy"

+1

Did you just +1 your own post?

No, I was +1 this thread

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

+1

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 04:01:41 PM »

He he, aren't these the same points and arguments that we've had for the last six months? The last year, even? And doesn't it basically boil down to one concern, that the system may simply be too underpowered to compete with other consoles, and one hope, that the controller really does offer gameplay opportunities that can't be missed.

It's the same thread re-treaded every time the topic gets posted. And I don't mean to kill the thread with a, "all we can do is wait and see," but seriously, we're all like a broken record.

I think maybe there's only two new positive thoughts: that the DS has been able to really prove itself as a gaming machine with its unique attributes, and that developers are open to and interested in the Revo Control Stick.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 04:24:32 PM »

Animal Crossing has been confirmed for the Revolution.

:shock:  No Way!   :shock:  YES!

I bet if you release Mario Hockey Devil will come running with arms opened wide and will praise the glory of Nintendo! :wink:  Come on you pitch forked hockey wannabe - open your mind and your imagination! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 04:27:43 PM »

I bet if you release Mario Hockey Devil will come running with arms opened wide and will praise the glory of Nintendo!  Come on you pitch forked hockey wannabe - open your mind and your imagination!  

IN!!

I like all the Mario Sports games.

biggrin

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 04:36:23 PM »

I'm just wondering who makes up this mythical untapped audience that the REvolution will supposedly cater to.  Doesn't Nintendo always try to pull in the non-gamers?  What makes the Revolution so different that it will succeed where the N64 and GC have failed?  And I don't think a wavy remote will be the key...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »

One other thought: maybe Nintendo knows that it will need a lower cost unit to get gamers to purchase the Revolution, so it's not bothering with hardware that can compete with MS and Sony. Do you think people would gamble with an unproven control type if the Revo cost $400? With a $200 price tag, I think people will be more willing to give it a shot. (That's if the system earns favourable reviews - I'm not saying people are willing to waste $200, but they'd be more likely to put it on the table for something that seems interesting than if the unit was 4 hun.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 05:29:29 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
I think that going off of just the RAM is faulty logic if that's the basis for claiming the machine will be "only 3 times as powerful as the Cube".  There are other factors to take into account, primarily the processor and architecture.  If the system follows the same architecture that the Cube did, with many of the features hardcoded into the system that would otherwise need to be programmed into a game, then that would reduce the workload that would need more RAM.

That said, it's also obvious that Nintendo is not gunning to be on par with the raw power of the 360 or the PS3.  I, personally, am fine with that.  Between being less expensive and with the other capabilities being built into the system (along with the great new controller's possibilities), I think that I will be perfectly happy with the Revolution.  It'll have enough added horsepower to make for plenty games that couldn't be done on the Cube.

Heck, I'm thrilled with my DS, even though the graphics power of the system is notably less than that of the PSP.  That's no big deal to me; the games being made for the system are taking advantage of the strengths of the platform rather than just being watered down due to the weaknesses.

Yes, cost is a factor for me.  Am I interested in the 360?  Sure, when it reaches down to the $200 range.  The system is powerful and the games look great.

I have to disagree with Hank's estimation that the DS is a mediocre machine.  Is the GBA mediocre?  The DS is leaps and bounds beyond the GBA, and that alone should indicate that the system is at least a significant step beyond what came before it.  You want to crack on Nintendogs?  That's fine.  Where are the great PSP games to counter the likes of Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars DS, Kirby, Meteos (ok, it could be argued that Lumines counters that one), Mario & Luigi, Yoshi Touch-n-go, and various other fantastic titles either out or coming soon?

I honestly don't care that much about a system's graphical prowess.  I care about the quality of games coming out for it.  My first current-gen system was the PS2.  I wasn't planning on getting one so early, but between Gran Turismo 3, FFX, and Metal Gear Solid 2, I realized that the system already was shaping up to have a strong stable of games that would only get better.  My Cube was my second purchase (though, granted, I got that on launch day).  I did eventually get an X-Box, too.

I'm a gamer.  I love games.  I play games like Geneforge 2, which looks like crap but offers fantastic gameplay.  The Revolution won't be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3?  *shrugs*  Meh, ok.  Won't argue that, because it's true.  But does that somehow make the system less worthwhile?  If you're a graphics whore, sure.  I like pretty graphics too.  I'd love HD graphics too.  But if it's a choice between paying $400-500 for a prettier system or $150-200 for a slightly less pretty system with games that are just as solid on gameplay (regardless of the "kiddie" factor), well, I'll take the second option, thank you.  I'd be saying the same thing regardless of who the producer of that second system was.

Here is my problem. I like the DS. But man, are the graphics antiquated. If there was a choice between Madden on the PSP and the DS.. Its not even a question as to which one to buy. If I want to scream, blow, rub into a console.. this is the unit.

I find all the unique features "CUTE" and "INTERESTING" and "FOR ME" they have not transcended to have MUST PLAY mechanics to date. I love games too, and graphics are indeed not everything.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Nintendo was driving the market we would not have internet gaming, or the kickass graphics we have today. Nintendo is VERY SHREWD when it comes to making a console.. they WILL NOT lose money on a machine.. they dont believe in the concept, and that is hurting them.

Numbers dont lie. There are almost as many PSP's sold as there are gamecubes sold.

People LIKE WHIZBANG graphics... otherwise, we would be playing our NES's still wouldnt we?

And innovation on the user front end isnt everything... how may of you have this?????

Step up to the TV.
The XaviXPORT is your gateway to interactive home recreation, and all of it is powered by you. With XaviXTechnologyâ„¢, now everyone can experience their favorite activities from the comfort of their living room. Hit a 450 foot homerun. Workout and monitor calories burned. Even challenge friends to a round of interactive golf. It's the most fun you can have with your TV.

Experience your favorite activities right from your TV
Choose from a variety of XaviX game cartridges (not included) like Baseball, Tennis and Bowling
Wireless hardware reads your movements and your actions are interpreted into the video game

THERE IS INOVATION WITH A CONTROLLER.. Or have you seen these?

Proof Positive, controller inovation does not make a great console.. THe DS is cute, but its just not my favorite item in the drawer..

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 05:32:44 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I'm just wondering who makes up this mythical untapped audience that the REvolution will supposedly cater to.  Doesn't Nintendo always try to pull in the non-gamers?  What makes the Revolution so different that it will succeed where the N64 and GC have failed?  And I don't think a wavy remote will be the key...

Exact same demographic MS is targeting now through Marketplace- everybody not in the core 18-34 male demographic that buys so many PS2s and XBoxes.  The same market that made The Sims one of, if not the, most successful PC title of all time despite minimal interest from the "traditional" gaming community.  

I think controls do go a long way in how accessible consoles are to people not already inclined to gaming.  Just look at how the controllers have progressed since the single stick, single button model of the 2600.  Todays controllers offer tons of options but are a bit intimidating to non-gamers.  If Nintendo can come up with a way to make controllers more intuitive then it would certainly help people like my parents, or even my wife, pick up a game controller again.  I think you already see this on the DS- the touchscreen certainly makes playing a game like Nintendogs very intuitive.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 05:58:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Laner"

Exact same demographic MS is targeting now through Marketplace- everybody not in the core 18-34 male demographic that buys so many PS2s and XBoxes.  The same market that made The Sims one of, if not the, most successful PC title of all time despite minimal interest from the "traditional" gaming community.

That's my point - Nintendo has *always* gone after that non-demographic.  Why do you think they have their so-called "kiddie" reputation?  Because they make family-friendly games that don't pander to the 18-34 male audience.

Other than vague promises from Nintendo and a lot of speculation from fanboys, I don't see how they're exactly supposed to accomplish this when they haven't been able to make any serious inroads in this area since the SNES.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »

They may have had a broad demographic in terms of content but their contoller and interfaces have been growing just as complex as the rest of the competion.  I think their thinking is that they need to tackle the interface next and started with the DS and are continuing with the Revolution.

And I would argue that the DS is starting to make inroads with Nintendogs, a game that has proved to be an enormous hit without targeting traditional gaming demographics.

*EDIT*- And I would also argue that this wasn't their initial intent with the Cube.  Early on they seemed to want to make a strong play against Sony's  demographic with Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and a Final Fantasy game.  Hell, it even started at the tail end of the N64 generation with Conker and Perfect Dark.   I think Nintendo found that that their studios and management just weren't suited for that focus and are now bowing out of that demo and leaving it to Sony and MS to fight over.  

So, to me, the Revolution seems to be continuing (from the DS) with a change in focus for them and this time they are designing the system (hardware and interface) around this new focus.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 06:56:49 PM »

Comparing the Revolution controller to a cheap ass Tiger Electronics sensor baseball bat is retarded.  So ok, it's a bat.  Can it do anything else?  The Rev controller can.  Can the bat also most likely be used as a normal controller?  Come on.  That's a horrible comparison.

And if you call the DS a "mediocore machine", then obviously you haven't played any of the influx of great games that have come out in the last MONTH for it.  And if you argue, "BUT THEY'RE ONLY PUTTING OUT GAMES I HAVE TO BLOW, SCRATCH, ETC. ON!!1!1" then you haven't played:

Castlevania
Mario Kart
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Animal Crossing
A WHOLE lot more

Wow look!  Four games that were released in ONE month's time to a "gimmick" console that play a whole hell of a lot better than some shoddy-ass PSP port game and are 1,000,000 times more fun.

Stop the comparison of Tiger Handheld bats please.  Anyone who isn't open to trying a new thing in gaming can go back into the "same old same old" that you all seem to crave.

Targetting "non-gamers" sounds like a pretty sound advertising scheme with their new console.  How many of us gamers own multiple consoles?  I'm sure that will happen with a most likely price-efficient Rev. console.  So why NOT try and target those who aren't really into gaming?  It's a whole MARKET SHARE that MS and Sony are ignoring!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 07:02:26 PM »

The DS has been out abit longer than the PSP and it has just now come into its own.   Instead of slamming the PSP maybe you should acknowledge that at least.

Also, PSP is starting to get some good games.

NiM$
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2005, 07:09:30 PM »

Castlevania
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
A WHOLE lot more

Wow look! Four games that were released in ONE month's time to a "gimmick" console that play a whole hell of a lot better than some shoddy-ass PSP port game and are 1,000,000 times more fun.

..and here lies the problem, all of those games can be, and were (minus AC) released on the GBA with essentially the same gameplay. All of them could have been put on the GBA again as well. Those aren't ports?

Then comes your knowledge of 'fun' as if it's something you KNOW. You have no idea what other people think is fun, nevermind the degree. Not only does Nintendo make money*, but they have a monopoly on 'fun'!

I'm all for you loving Nintendo, but please, don't let that love spill out in the form of irrational assumptions.

(* GT rule #2)

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2005, 07:12:24 PM »

Its ok.  A lot of people on this forum used to rag on the DS when it first came out calling it a gimmick machine, also going as far as quoting some 1up guy in their signature.  And now?  How many of them own a DS?  I can think of at least 5 people on this forum that ripped the DS and now own one.  Same thing will happen with the Revolution.  It is just something that you are going to have to experience before you can really make up your mind about it.  As for the DS vs PSP?  Why argue about it?  No one's opinion is better than anyone elses.  If you like the DS good, if you like the PSP fine.  It doesnt matter.  It is just a preference.  It is like arguing about politics, everyone has an opinion and no one else cares.  My wish is that every gaming system that comes out is successful creating a competitive market in which companies try to one up eachother and therefore giving the consumers the greatest benefit.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 07:13:26 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Castlevania
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
A WHOLE lot more

..and here lies the problem, all of those games can be, and were (minus AC) released on the GBA with essentially the same gameplay. All of them could have been put on the GBA again as well. Those aren't ports?

(* GT rule #2)

I dont agree with that at all.  The two screens and wireless connection adds tons to each of those games.   To me they are not ports.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »

I still don't buy the needing a whole new controller paradigm to get this vast untapped casual gamer audience Nintendo keeps talking about. A game like Katamari is very casual gamer friendly, easy to learn and they didn't need a whole new controller to make it.

You can make all sorts of casual gamer stuff that will work fine with standard controllers(i.e. just use a single button or two too play).
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2005, 08:00:04 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Comparing the Revolution controller to a cheap ass Tiger Electronics sensor baseball bat is retarded.  So ok, it's a bat.  Can it do anything else?  The Rev controller can.  Can the bat also most likely be used as a normal controller?  Come on.  That's a horrible comparison.

And if you call the DS a "mediocore machine", then obviously you haven't played any of the influx of great games that have come out in the last MONTH for it.  And if you argue, "BUT THEY'RE ONLY PUTTING OUT GAMES I HAVE TO BLOW, SCRATCH, ETC. ON!!1!1" then you haven't played:

Castlevania
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
A WHOLE lot more

I had the feeling that the bat would raise the hairs on the back of someones neck....

Good Graphics do not a great game make, nor do innovative ways to play them.

Of the games you listed above, they are either sequels, or could have been mostly done on the 2d gameboy... Nice games... but nothing next level.. Its really a personal decision.... some prefer the quirky play the DS offers, others prefer the PSP.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: