http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The reviews are coming in for Riviera  (Read 1507 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

As a person who loves my GBA and RPGs I have been suffering from a fair amount of withdrawl lately so I have been anxiously waiting for Riveria: The Promised Land.

And thisreview is pretty positive!

Riviera was an excellent title overall. Though I was excited about it at first and lost my interest during the first hour or so of gameplay, the game did a great job of picking my interest back up and transforming itself into another epic 2D RPG. This is the kind of title we need to see more of as technology continues to improve: a great storyline, unique battle system, and 2D greatness is what makes this title spectacular. This is definitely the sleeper hit for the Game Boy Advance this summer.

Now I just need to find it in stores!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »

IN!

If I can find it...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:30:15 PM »

Didn't care for the review much...

If you don’t know much about the enemy you’re fighting, you can also check out stats and possible strategies for defeating the enemies (although I’m usually so good I don’t need to do that).

Great to know.  I bow down to you.

Can't wait for a Gamespot, Gamespy, IGN, etc. review...

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:33:26 PM »

The game looks interesting, but there are many things that look like they might make the game frustrating.  I'm really hoping someone posts a long, informative review before Wednesday.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

According to GameRankings, Nintendo Power is giving it 6.5 out of 10.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:49:59 AM »

NP Gave it that review, and cited that it was a mixture of interesting ideas with so so execution. The controls for battle and movement are much different from things you'd expect from a normal RPG and it can be off-putting.

Here are some examples:

You don't equip or use items, you choose 4 before each battle and those items determine which enemies you can attack.

You also don't have direct control outside of battle,  you select a destination and tell your party to go there.

They pretty much say it's okay but don't expect the next great RPG

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 12:39:22 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
NP Gave it that review, and cited that it was a mixture of interesting ideas with so so execution... They pretty much say it's okay but don't expect the next great RPG

mixing an rpg with a dating sim was bound to produce some strange results, but i'm definitely still looking forward to giving it a shot (of course, if it's totally fubar, i will report back immediately smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »

The newest one is from RPG Gamer

Final thoughts of the review :

There are few games which truly find a way to excel in a number of aspects while not being dragged down in others; Riviera stands up as an excellent example of innovation in an RPG, especially considering it can be played for a few minutes or a few hours in a sitting, simply depending upon how much time an RPGamer has for their on-the-go gaming. While the GBA often gets overlooked as a system rich in RPGs, what it may not have in quantity, it certainly has in quality. This is certainly a title that would be an excellent addition to anyone's collection, even if they normally do not play RPGs, as it is simple to pick up, fast to learn, and enjoyable the entire way through. It is a game that should not be passed up if possible.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 04:04:03 PM »

1up has their review up as well: link

New portable RPGs are few and far between at the moment, so Riviera definitely benefits from being in the right place at the right time. But it's an interesting, entertaining adventure in its own right. Atlus' latest probably won't be to everyone's tastes, but anyone looking for a lengthy, engrossing and above all unique handheld quest this summer would be remiss in passing it up.

They gave it a 7.5.

We need a CG review for this.  We're getting scooped!  Someone buy me a copy and I'll do it.   :lol:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:47 PM »

Its Atlus?  I'll make the appropriate request....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »

heh. I was about to pick this one up just to see it.  I've been following it since I heard of it's upcoming release in Japan about eighteen months ago. smile  Can't wait for Thursday. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:08:39 PM »

My copy is at EB right now, so tonight you guys can expect my rambling, incoherent, quick impressions, that do nothing but make you wish someone else got the game and could help you.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 05:51:14 PM »

Crap, now I have to actually find my GBASP which has mysteriously gone missing.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: