http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 11:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Red Cross Wants to Apply the Geneva Convention to Video Games  (Read 266 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:27:31 AM »

saywhat saywhat saywhat saywhat

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114515-Red-Cross-Investigating-Virtual-War-Crimes

The International Committee of the Red Cross may want the rules of the Geneva Convention applied to videogames.

At the 31st meeting of the International Committee of the Red Cross, held this week to discuss many issues in modern combat throughout the world, a smaller panel was convened to discuss videogames and the effect they have on the public. Specifically, the Red Cross investigated several games that depict modern warfare and examined whether the rules of the Geneva Conventions governing protections for wounded soldiers, civilian non-combatants, and prisoners of war should be applied to videogames.

"While the Movement works vigorously to promote international humanitarian law (IHL) worldwide, there is also an audience of approximately 600 million gamers who may be violating IHL in the virtual world," reads the description for the discussion. "Exactly how videogames influence individuals is a hotly debated topic, but for the first time, Movement partners discussed our role and responsibility to take action against violations of IHL in video games."

I don't think there is a big enough facepalm for this.  so if I'm playing CoD:MW3 online, and get shot but not killed, and then get fragged by Harkonis, I will be able to bring up Hark on charges since he was violating the Geneva Convention? biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »

But, but what about all the modern war setting PnP RPGs, what about all the novels, what about the movies, what... I guess for some reason when it inolves the medium of video games its supposed to be different. If they're worried about this influencing the young, parents could always just read the ESRB rating labels - can't remember a game with content that may have violated the Geneva Convention that also didn't have a 'M' slapped on it.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »

Aren't there enough real wars and disasters going on for the Red Cross. I guess not cause some morons there apparently have to much time on their hands.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »

I applaud their use of time and resources to investigate "virtual violations", because teabagging needs to be brought under control.  I think they will discover a sinister underworld once they start exploring the epidemic of placing virtual genitals, in most cases that don't even exist, across other player's virtual faces.  I'm glad I won't be going on that journey into the heart of darkness with them.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »

This gets my 'Get the Fuck Outta Here!' award for today.  saywhat
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »

"but I did not speak out, for I was not an NPC..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up