http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:55:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The real Revo controller  (Read 12840 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »

If nothing else, a Wario Ware game using this thing could be the best game ever.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

unbreakable
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »

After watching the video, I like it a lot less.  If I have to wave the damn thing around like a fool, it's going to be VERY hard to play at my desk, which is where my gaming is done.  Not much space here to be swinging a sword or concuct an orchestra.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »

Got this from over at Gaming Age, where the Nintendo Fanboys are NOT happy about the controller...and you know you have problems when the Nintendo fanboys don't even like it.

This is one of the worst ideas ever from Nintendo. It looks a pain to have to push all the buttons or play anything. The general public is going to laugh when they see  this and pass it by. Virtual Boy Part Deux.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 12:02:48 PM »

After staring at it for a few minutes, I think I put my finger on what bugs me about it that controller.  Look how far apart the A button is from the B and C.  Now imagine trying to play a fighting game with that button setup, or any game that requires quick button combos.  Yeah, I can't picture it either.  THe layout seems very counter-intuitive.  Let's face it, we've been using a similar button layout on every controller for the past 10 years, and I can't imagine that gamers will suddenly get used to three vertical buttons.  It also doesn't seem like the thing has any shoulder buttons, or am I missing something?

As always, I give Nintendo props for trying something new, but I just can't see how this controller could be functionally viable.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2005, 12:12:07 PM »

Watching this I think you can safely kiss any chance of Soul Calibur coming back to the Cube.  I thought the Cube's controller was bad, after watching that video this looks far worse.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2005, 12:49:29 PM »

Actually my 1st thought after seeing the new controller is "hmm, this could be useful for a light-sabre duel".  It's quite possible to hold the controller with both hands as though it's a tennis racket, with the lower hand controlling the a b buttons.  

However, after swinging/slashing for the 1000th time, I believe lots of people are going to have a second thought about using the motion sensing feature.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »

The more I think about it, the more this thing reminds me of trying to play a game like Dragon's Lair on my VCR Remote.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2005, 01:15:28 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
The more I think about it, the more this thing reminds me of trying to play a game like Dragon's Lair on my VCR Remote.

Heh, nice.

That video just made a bad idea look even worse.  So...apparently all we will get on the Revolution with this new controller are motion controlled games?  No thanks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2005, 01:32:41 PM »

I just get this feeling like its gonna be the new EyeToy.  Is it fun? Sure...do I always want to jump around like a damned fool in front of my TV?  Mostly no.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2005, 01:38:14 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

There's a video of it in action (what they showed at the show) just under the giant image of the Nintendo President (Flash required to see it).

It seems that Nintendo has lots of ideas as to how to make the controller work. Will the developers take advantage of it, though? That is the question.

Sold.  I'm getting the feeling that the Revolution is the next Dreamcast - all about innovation and taking gaming to places it hasn't gone before.  (As opposed to taking gaming systems into places they haven't gone before, like running your kitchen appliances.)  I dig that in a major way.  It may fail horribly, but it's gonna be a helluva ride while it lasts.  I'm finally getting excited about a next-gen console.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2005, 01:42:33 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
This is one of the worst ideas ever from Nintendo. It looks a pain to have to push all the buttons or play anything. The general public is going to laugh when they see  this and pass it by. Virtual Boy Part Deux.

Very reactive statement.  Innovation is key to advancement.  I love the idea of this controller.  It's about time somebody, somewhere is doing something different.  I applaud anyone willing to try something new.  People are reacting with emotion and shock right now.  I think it is refreshing to see something new attempted.  I'm not passing judgement at all until I actually play games using the system.  I think it has tons of potential.

I just get this feeling like its gonna be the new EyeToy. Is it fun? Sure...do I always want to jump around like a damned fool in front of my TV? Mostly no.

Think of the exercise KD!

I'm really surprised at how many people here are reacting negatively.  I thought this community was pretty open-minded.  Isn't it refreshing to have something new to try? biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »

I think it's got a shot.  KD makes a solid point that it's going to be hard to port games over to the Revolution, but hey, people are making DS 'ports' of games, why not do the same with Revolution?  *shrug*
cirdan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »

If you watch the video closely, the B button is a trigger on the underside of the "remote" piece. A is on top below the d-pad and there are two additonal buttons a and b. My guess is that you would use a and b if you were using that controller horizontally since they are out of the way in the upright position. The analog stick has two trigger buttons underneath. I think they were labelled Z1 and Z2 in the video.

Nintendo definitely has my attention, but I can't say whether I like or dislike the design at this point.

- David

"And all my things look like someone else's memories"
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »

After watching the video... I am very far out!  To me using this thing does not look fun or relaxing at all to me.  If I want to exercise I will fire up DDR.  It looks incredibly uncomfortable and unwieldy for my hands.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »

I think we may be the only site that doesn't have a write-up about this on the front page.  Even friggin Wired has an article on it.

We don't even have a news item on it.  This is really not newsworthy?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2005, 02:00:28 PM »

Not really warning, but its on the front page anyway. slywink (screenshots and PR piece too)

Shifting gears..there is a whole different problem and a very serious one at that, regardless of whether you love or hate the controller...

There will be no porting this thing.

This means that developers can't make the game once and then port it across to all three platforms as the controls are so vastly different.  I don't see this boding well for Nintendo.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2005, 02:15:32 PM »

This means that developers can't make the game once and then port it across to all three platforms as the controls are so vastly different.  I don't see this boding well for Nintendo.

Assuming the Wavebird works with the Revolution (and all indications are that it will), I don't think the controller will be the hold-out for porting to the Revolution.  If anything, it'll be the graphics system.

Porting a game specifically designed for use with the Revolution's native controller over to PS2 or 360, on the other hand, will be problematic at best.  But I don't see this as a major concern for Nintendo, as exclusivity helps sell consoles.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2005, 02:16:37 PM »

Kind of cool technology. From the looks of the video you can tell they're trying to hit up the casual game market pretty hard - lots of old people, groups of girls, etc. Lots of shots of weird rhythm games and people obviously playing some sort of Warioware and Mario Party style games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that stuff like that doesn't get me in particular excited at all. I'm sure they'll be successful and make a ton of money that way, but I'm going to have to wait for some sort of killer app. Good old wacky Nintendo.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2005, 02:32:35 PM »

What a joke.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »

He he he, I was thinking, "man, that thing is going to suck if I have to hold it up the entire time I play," and then I was thinking, "man, how lazy am I?"

I really want to see how a FSP handles with the Revo Remote - hell, I want to try everything with it - but that goofy german-fed video does not impress me in the least.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »

There will be no porting this thing.

This means that developers can't make the game once and then port it across to all three platforms as the controls are so vastly different. I don't see this boding well for Nintendo.

Who bought ports for the Gamecube anyway?  

I see this thing as Nintendo embracing the label "second console".   They WANT to be people's 2nd gaming console.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2005, 03:37:59 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
I see this thing as Nintendo embracing the label "second console".   They WANT to be people's 2nd gaming console.

No, they want it to be peoples FIRST console. They care about games. They don't care about movies, music or pics. GAMES. The other systems are bringing "value added" to the table, whereas nintendo is saying "We *are* the games. Period."

Seeing the big phone companies branch out in the early to mid-ninties, and then have to cut the deadweight and re-focus on their "core business" I see Nintendo as avoiding that trap.

They know gaming. They don't know movies. They don't do music (other than in-game). They want to provide the best that they can and to be profitable and successful. They don't have to have the highest sales to be the "FIRST" console, as the other two are no longer consoles; they're multimedia hubs for the livingroom.

I applaud Nintendo for giving us something more revolutionary than modified Dual Shock controllers (as if the Scontroller is much different, minus the lovely full analog triggers). I hope this works; we need something new.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2005, 03:58:14 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
No, they want it to be peoples FIRST console. They care about games. They don't care about movies, music or pics. GAMES. The other systems are bringing "value added" to the table, whereas nintendo is saying "We *are* the games. Period."

Seeing the big phone companies branch out in the early to mid-ninties, and then have to cut the deadweight and re-focus on their "core business" I see Nintendo as avoiding that trap.

They know gaming. They don't know movies. They don't do music (other than in-game). They want to provide the best that they can and to be profitable and successful. They don't have to have the highest sales to be the "FIRST" console, as the other two are no longer consoles; they're multimedia hubs for the livingroom.

I applaud Nintendo for giving us something more revolutionary than modified Dual Shock controllers (as if the Scontroller is much different, minus the lovely full analog triggers). I hope this works; we need something new.

I'm with you Purge!  Very well said.  We definitely need something new.  I cannot understand the negativity here.

XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »

I'm with Bob on this one.  Between the seeming untapped demographic marketing focus (which it shares with the DS) and the presumably much lower pricing point compared to Sony and MS I do think Nintendo is looking to step out of competition with the other two.  Yeah any households with the current predominant console demographic (young male) will have a PS3 and/or 360 but if the price is right and the content sufficiently uniquie and engaging, that household might also have a Revolution with a broader appeal.

I really think that Nintendogs and the DS are Nintendo's new model for the future.  I know it doesn't necessarilly make hardcore gamers happy but they it looks like a profitable path for them to take and much more likely to be a success than beating Sony and MS at their own game.

I know some (Devil) get tired of hearing this but Nintendo doesn't have to win to be successful.  Sony and MS's entire console strategies are based on getting such a great portion of the marketshare that the royalties offset the hideous price of the R&D and hardware manufacturing.  If they don't completely dominate the market- they fail.  See the original Xbox as an example- despite selling more than 20 million units, the Xbox division has only posted one profitable quarter IIRC (when Halo 2 was released).  

Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to employ a business strategy that has them making a profit on the hardware itself and their first party games since their market share doesn't support massive royalties from third party software sales.  The Revolution and DS seem to be natural extensions of this model.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »

I'm still not wild about the controller.  I think it's carpal tunnel waiting to happen.  But I am intrigued by the thought of games that use it.  I basically know what kind of games will be released for the PS3 and 360.  I have no idea what's coming down the pike for the Revo.  It's kinda exciting.

One thing I'm willing to bet: Mario will be a launch title.  I suspect they learned that lesson with the GC and have been slaving away on Mario for the Revo since shortly after Sunshine was finished.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2005, 04:53:44 PM »

I find myself getting more and more excited about this controller. First off, those videos are almost certainly not indicative of how you will actually use the controller. I think you will likely have the "remote" sitting in your hand with your hand on an armrest or on your lap (like it would be today) and will be making slight motions of the wrist to control it. So I really don't see the motion aspect being fatiguing at all. The problem is controlling its buttons. I think they need to stick primarily to using the trigger (the remote does have a trigger right?) cause I sometimes get fatigue in my hand just switching between buttons on my TV remote. That is something I am concerned about much more than just doing the motion aspect of it.

The door is so wide open with this controller (if it works well) for them to have games that just don't work on consoles now. (Tons of PC-like games). It *should* be the best way to play a FPS on a console.

The keys are : A. they better have the tech down so that it feels "right" and isn't awkward to motion-control. B. You better be able to callibrate the motion detectors so they can be as sensitive/insensitve as gamers want. In fact they should store multiple "controller profiles" on each Revolution so person A and person B don't have to adjust the sensitivity when they switch. and C. Actually do fun things with it that just can't be reproduced on other consoles.

I also think it's key that this be at a low price point ($200 max). It would help to actually have a lot of titles at launch for once too.

As for me, like with any Nintendo console - Call me when Zelda is out for it, and then I'll take a look! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2005, 05:34:47 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
But I am intrigued by the thought of games that use it.  I basically know what kind of games will be released for the PS3 and 360.  I have no idea what's coming down the pike for the Revo.  It's kinda exciting.

This is exactly what I'm talking about!  Yes, we all need to be intrigued and excited.  I think alot of people here have gotten so jaded that they can't bring themselves to look "forward" anymore.

XM Channel 76
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »

I asked my girlfriend what she thought it looked like.  The first thing she said was a remote control.

I really shouldn't repeat the second thing that she thought that it looked like.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I asked my girlfriend what she thought it looked like.  The first thing she said was a remote control.

I really shouldn't repeat the second thing that she thought that it looked like.

Oh come on, spit it out.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2005, 06:54:20 PM »

I get a kick out of people calling it "innovative". Has it proven to be that? Please point me to the stuff that shows this. Right now we have something thats wierd and diffrent.

Just because somethings is diffrent doesn't automatically make it "innovative".
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2005, 06:55:35 PM »

Uh-oh Nintnedo....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916/ap_on_hi_te/japan_game_show

Check out the name of the story.

Nintendo produces new remote control

That is the lead headline on the AP article.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This thing is DOA.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »

I think it is awesome!  Right when I saw it, I wanted to pick it up and play!  The possibilities for Nintendo are endless!  Just imagine how they can incorporate this controller into games... maybe a new Animal Crossing, you could walk around with the d-pad, pull out your bug net and swing it by swinging your controller!  Same with fishing!  And digging!  Golf games and baseball games will never be the same!  I think this is an awesome move by Nintendo and it is going to set them apart from the competition big time!  It may not be the highest selling console, but I think it is going to be the most fun to pick up and play.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2005, 07:16:19 PM »

That's what people said about the DS.

I'm thinking they've planted seeds that still have a year + to grow in the developers fertile minds for gaming.

I expect Nintendo will chip away at Sony, and MS will chip away at Sony. Nintendo and MS have different markets and I suspect they will (overall) grow through the lull that Sony has created.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2005, 07:24:46 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Then consider it has a built-in rumble pack.  I suspect this console may make it into your house, my friend. slywink

depward

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2005, 07:24:58 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I get a kick out of people calling it "innovative". Has it proven to be that? Please point me to the stuff that shows this. Right now we have something thats wierd and diffrent.

I get a kick out of people who call it disasterous, "DOA", "worst idea from Nintendo", and so on.  What's the difference if you call it "innovative" from others calling it a huge mistake?

Uh oh watch out!  If you read the article you would see how it's meant to have "remote control" instead of controller.  I don't see how it's funny.  I see how it's a correct headline for the story.

Sorry you don't approve of change or an original idea or concept.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2005, 07:31:29 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

Wiktionary says:
innovative
1. Characterized by the creation of new ideas or things
2. Forward looking; ahead of current thinking

I don't think theres any arguing that this fits #1?

#2 is up for debate.  It's hard to tell if something was ahead of current thinking until it has been out for awhile and proven to be a major change in how things are done.  I'm inclined to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

At any rate it's certainly weird and different.  But that is usually a good thing in my opinion.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2005, 07:36:45 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"

That is a phenomenal statement considering that even the most die hard of Nintendo fans would admit that in the last several years there have only been a handful of GCN exclusives that were good. When they were good, they were fantastic-but "all about the games"? Please, lets see the games first.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2005, 08:03:30 PM »

A buddy of mine text messaged me a little while ago and asked me what I thought of it. I TM'd him back with this exact reponse: "WTF"

On the one hand, I think it's a cool idea that when people really sit down with it and figure it out, they might come up with some nifty ways to use it. On the other hand... no wait, I'm still holding the remote in my right hand. What the hell?!?

I also agree that Nintendo has succeeded in completely setting themselves apart from the pack. Look at the specs on the 360 and the PS3 and you'll note how they're pretty dang close in nature. The Revolution might truly be one if only because there is nothing like it out there.

And for the record, I think the EyeToy is a total gimmick and stupid. However, if the Revolution controller let me wield a lightsaber, then I would totally get up in front of my TV and swing that sucker around with all the enthusiasm my inner-Jedi would demand.

If they get the right amount of 1st Party titles and manage to turn them out at a good clip, something Nintendo has problems with doing, then I might actually give this one a whirl. We'll see. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2005, 08:36:43 PM »

You know what's hilarious?

When people are nearly begging for creativity in video games and we're stuck with endless boring sequels, yearly roster updates for sports games and an infinite supply of uninspired games, here we are, with a controller that BREAKS that barrier, is so totally outside of the box, and people shudder it, banish it and bash it.

I like to think that the 360 is the EA of next-gen (not bashing, merely using it as an example), while the Revolution is truly a pioneer.  I haven't seen any games.  I don't know system specs.  But just look at the controllers!  People who call the 360 "next-gen" after looking at this controller, which truly defines a next generation instead of merely upgrading the current generation, need their head checked.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: