http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:49:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The real Revo controller  (Read 12988 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »

http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=2308865

I don't know what to say. It's odd at best. I'm not sold. I want to read hands on and want to try myself. I want more buttons too. If it works as easily as they say then cool. I have my doubts right now.

Oh yeah, that picture shows it with the analog attachment.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »

I think that is awesome as hell.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 02:56:31 AM »

read this http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

Holy crap, this sounds better now that I am reading 1ups article.

Nintendo also mentioned that the controller stick could be slipped inside other, more conventional controller shells, dance mats, bongos, or other peripherals.

Options, dear god, we have options. I never thought Nintendo would listen...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 02:57:24 AM »

Yeah!  It seems like you can turn it horizontally and it looks like a standard NES controller!

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:59:07 AM »

Although...what 3rd party developers would want to develop games for that thing?

Interesting!  I don't know what to think now, lol.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:59:59 AM »

The Gaming-Age forums are HILARIOUS.

Lots of wtf's HAHAHA biggrin biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 03:01:20 AM »

Yes, that all may be true, but it also looks incredibly counter-intuitive, bulky, needlessly complicated and all at the same time not functional enough to play many of the games that demand the multi-button and dual anolog style of the PS2 and XBox controllers. I dunno, I am just really really skeptical.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 03:02:20 AM »

Need to see it utilized in some games or something.  The demo's section of the IUP article gives me some faith that it could be cool - but what about sports games?  Zelda?  Mario!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 03:02:53 AM »

well, it looks/sounds like it will be able to play your normal games with attachments. Hopefully Nintendo makes it easy for developers to implement the control, because as I read about this guy playing Metroid Prime 2 with the controller, it just sounded very awesome and natural.

It could definately make the Rev THE defacto system for FPS type games. At least control-wise.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 03:03:22 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Yes, that all may be true, but it also looks incredibly counter-intuitive, bulky, needlessly complicated and all at the same time not functional enough to play many of the games that demand the multi-button and dual anolog style of the PS2 and XBox controllers. I dunno, I am just really really skeptical.

Bulky?

It's a fucking stick, man!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 03:04:11 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Quote from: "Rage"

Bulky?

It's a fucking stick, man!

with a wire connecting to another stick, not enough buttons, an extremely un-aesthetic design for the "stick" portion, and seemingly not enough buttons. I am not impressed.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 03:04:23 AM »

yeah....definitely looks really cool, but also looks weird...they need to make the two pieces separate, not have it connected with a cable

it can really go both ways....i think most everyone is too used to the one piece controller...it will certainly take a bit of getting used to though

read the last little bit about the metroid prime 2 demo, holy shit wow....that would be cool....

but how are you supposed to control a game like soul caliber??  or a racing game??
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 03:11:12 AM »

LOL @ the IGN article:

"Also, since the controller flips on its side to work very much like a NES pad, it would be interesting to mix up gameplay and throw in an old-school challenge."

Playing through a new Mario title and it all of a sudden turns into a 2d-side scroller or something - hahahahah!

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 03:11:39 AM »

I saw the newest pics and it's going to take some real raves for me to think about getting the Revolution.  Don't get me wrong, it might be cool as hell, but my initial impressions have me worried for Nintendo's future.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 03:12:54 AM »

well you would steer with one hand as well as accerate and brake all with one hand.

Of course we will have to see the games. If Nintendo comes strong within the  first year, like DS strong, and developers come with that same kind of zeal to try new stuff, then this could be great.

I see this alienating a lot of western developers, and energizing quite a few as well.

I agree with Rage that the lack of buttons is disconcerting, but we shall see what they come up with.

If anything, it is the most intuitive of controllers at first glance. Think of this, how often and how easy is it for someone to pick up the tv remote? There's no inherent fear or misunderstanding. So in that respect I see why Nintendo chose to make it look like a tv remote. they want people to pick up the controller and not have it turn them off. It's not going to be marketed to us, but to those who don't normally play games.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 03:14:54 AM »

I think it's safe to say that with this controller, the Revolution will be a "support" system for owners of the 360 and/or PS3.  I'm not sure any hardcore gamer would *only* buy the Revolution.

+1 to Nintendo for thinking outside of the box.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 03:18:43 AM »

I agree, I mean I totally knew from the way Nintendo has been talking that they don't care if one 'hardcore' gamer buys their machine. They want to sell machines to our parents, and our wives/girlfriends, or to the people who think gaming is too complicated or a waste of time etc. They know that a lot of 'hardcore' gamers will get their system for Nintendo games alone. So they're definately banking on something differe.

That's why I had pretty much decided that if I go full into next gen the 360 will probably be the system of choice. It looks like MS will support my need for the usual games.

One thing that is getting passed over is that Nintendo has firmly stated that they will still try to develop "deeper and more involved games" which is counter to some stuff they've been saying.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 03:19:57 AM »

How is Smash Bros. gonna play with this thing?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 03:22:03 AM »

with attachments, or your Wavebird.

Lest we forget Nintendo will let you use your old controllers, and all a dev has to do is support the wavebird.

Still, Now Nintendo needs to get off their ass and show games.

IGN has comments from some larger Studios, namely Ubi and EA, stating that they fully plan to support the design.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around playing Madden with this type of controller. On one hand it would be cool, imagine the precision passing and running, but on the other hand I think it could be extremely awkward without the extra analog stick.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 03:23:20 AM »

I see strengths and weaknesses.  First impressions are going to be negative to gamers, however.  The question is how the attachments are going to be marketed.  Are you going to get common ones with the system or are they all going to be sold separately?  Imagine wanting to play a game that needs an attachment you don't have or can't find!  

It'll be interesting to see how this next generation plays out.  Given Nintendo's decision to not compete on hardware power I suppose they had to take a risk and try and win with innovative controllers and such but it just adds to the issues they already faced.  My concern is that third party support will be minimal unless the Revolution is a home run sales wise.  If you are a third-party developer, the 360 and PS3 are close enough in power terms that if you develop for one you will be able to convert that over to the other relatively easily.  If you want to support the Revolution, however, you are developing for a much less powerfull set of hardware and a different kind of controller.  I see fewer games, even if they are innovative, and fewer examples of popular games available on all three systems.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 03:24:44 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I agree, I mean I totally knew from the way Nintendo has been talking that they don't care if one 'hardcore' gamer buys their machine. They want to sell machines to our parents, and our wives/girlfriends, or to the people who think gaming is too complicated or a waste of time etc. They know that a lot of 'hardcore' gamers will get their system for Nintendo games alone. So they're definately banking on something differe.

That's why I had pretty much decided that if I go full into next gen the 360 will probably be the system of choice. It looks like MS will support my need for the usual games.

One thing that is getting passed over is that Nintendo has firmly stated that they will still try to develop "deeper and more involved games" which is counter to some stuff they've been saying.

I have no issue with this concept-Nintendo can be the wierd ass stepchild of the console wars-but damnit, do something really different with the games and make that whack ass controller actually WORK well, and yeah, lots of us will have it as a secondary system.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 03:26:27 AM »

anyone else remember those VR games that were set up in the malls I guess 10 years ago?  With the flat shaded 3d graphics?

The revo controllers remind me of that....

I guess nintendo knows that they can't compete w/ microsoft or sony if they just put out a high powered/super graphics system...they simply don't have the developer support....so they're going innovative, which is definitely awesome....

let's seeif they put out any new genre of games for the revolution....
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 03:29:31 AM »

Quote from: "lex"
anyone else remember those VR games that were set up in the malls I guess 10 years ago?  With the flat shaded 3d graphics?

The revo controllers remind me of that....

I guess nintendo knows that they can't compete w/ microsoft or sony if they just put out a high powered/super graphics system...they simply don't have the developer support....so they're going innovative, which is definitely awesome....

Actually I don't think Nintendo feels that way at all. What they've been saying the whole time is that they Don't want to just update hardware and graphics. They don't feel that's enough to entice new gamers or to grow the market. You can read that in all of their quotes. They're definately beating their own drum because they think that they can create a whole new market segment, so to say.

This will probably be the ultimate test to see if the game industry can support stuff like this or will the same old same old with prettier graphics prevail. Right now, it looks like same old same old will win, but give Nintendo credit for trying...

It will be interesting to hear feedback from all the people who complain about other controllers size etc. essentially, with the add-ons, you'll never be forced to conform your hands to a specific controller type. Unless you buy one of those shells they talk about. I find that interesting, if it works. Theoretically you wouldn't have to worry about your hands being too close or too far apart, as you dictate that.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 03:39:15 AM »

That thing looks pretty, well, different.  Though, I like it!  I think it's different then the norm . . . which Nintendo is trying to be . . . go them!

Problem is, I have a wonky left hand.  I can't move my left thumb higher than half-way up.  It'll be REALY hard holding that thingy-mcbobber with my left hand   :?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 03:43:08 AM »

Publically, THQ, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and Kojima Productions have all praised the Revolution controller. Very interesting.

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 03:43:42 AM »

Carpal tunnel.

Looks cool but ouch!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 03:47:08 AM »

Bah the more I look at it the more I think how it's completely different than how I imagined the Revolution controller would be!

Hopefully it's more intuitive than the Power Glove   :lol:

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 04:15:04 AM »

Well, it would seem that Revolution WILL certainly live up to its (former) name. Will it actually be *good*? Hmmm.

At least I'm intrigued rather than horrified (just mildly scared). I agree that there will probably be an even further dearth of 3rd party support for this console. Not that the developers won't support it (I think almost all of them WILL try to), but that they aren't going to have the resources to support it a LOT. The Rev will definitely be all about exclusives - since even if the games are out for other consoles, I can't imagine that they will possibly play anywhere close to the same at all to the Rev version.

Nintendo has balls the size of grapefruits. I'll give them that.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 04:32:23 AM »

I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but that thing is fucking wierd. Like, I'm actually wigged out by it. That being said, I so wanna get my hands on it, and I completely reserve judgement until after I've tried it. Kiosk experiences and travelling Revo trailers are going to make or break the launch, me thinks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 04:37:30 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
That thing looks pretty, well, different.  Though, I like it!  I think it's different then the norm . . . which Nintendo is trying to be . . . go them!

Problem is, I have a wonky left hand.  I can't move my left thumb higher than half-way up.  It'll be REALY hard holding that thingy-mcbobber with my left hand   :?

Looking at the controller, it doesnt seem as though it would matter which hand you held which part of the controller in.

BTW, wasnt it mentioned somewhere that the controller can function as a light gun?
Veloxi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 04:48:33 AM »

Even though I'm not a console gamer, I must say I'm very impressed with this idea, and would love to try it out. I'm glad they're trying something different, and I hope it pays off.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 05:10:04 AM »

Three more comments after a little thought. First, I wish that the core control stick had an analogue stick instead of the D-Pad on it. Second, I wish the stick was a little more ergonomic, maybe curved slightly like a banana, to fit in your hand better. (Um, he he, this is getting a little weird). Maybe the controller handles just fine though, I dunno. I've always found the Nintendo controllers uber comfortable in the past. Third, I wish that the add-on controllers were wireless too - attaching a receiver to the bottom of the core controller, if necessary.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 05:26:59 AM »

The real question is: what new Zelda features will spawn from this controller?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 05:29:03 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Three more comments after a little thought. First, I wish that the core control stick had an analogue stick instead of the D-Pad on it. Second, I wish the stick was a little more ergonomic, maybe curved slightly like a banana, to fit in your hand better. (Um, he he, this is getting a little weird). Maybe the controller handles just fine though, I dunno. I've always found the Nintendo controllers uber comfortable in the past. Third, I wish that the add-on controllers were wireless too - attaching a receiver to the bottom of the core controller, if necessary.

I agree completely-it seems very, whats the word, not ergonomic at all. It actually to me looks extremely uncomfortable, and I think turnign it horizontal would make it even worse.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2005, 06:24:41 AM »

I won't pass judgement until I can actually use it, but my first thought was "You've *got* to be kidding me..."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2005, 06:25:01 AM »

Well, it IS different, I'll give them that. It'll be interesting to see it in action. And, if nothing else, it'll give the "extra accessories" market another boost.

I just hope it doesn't mistakenly shut my TV off, or something.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Well, it IS different, I'll give them that. It'll be interesting to see it in action. And, if nothing else, it'll give the "extra accessories" market another boost.

I just hope it doesn't mistakenly shut my TV off, or something.

That was funny. I was worried about that too-thinking "shit, don't hit the power button!!"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2005, 06:50:03 AM »

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

There's a video of it in action (what they showed at the show) just under the giant image of the Nintendo President (Flash required to see it).

It seems that Nintendo has lots of ideas as to how to make the controller work. Will the developers take advantage of it, though? That is the question.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2005, 07:09:15 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Actually I don't think Nintendo feels that way at all. What they've been saying the whole time is that they Don't want to just update hardware and graphics. They don't feel that's enough to entice new gamers or to grow the market. You can read that in all of their quotes. They're definately beating their own drum because they think that they can create a whole new market segment, so to say.[/quote]

This is nothing more than Nintendo marketing. They sit there and say that game gaming market is stagnate, its not getting new people blah blah. The facts in terms of sales say the opposite. Gaming is becoming more mainstream. More and more people are playing games they just arn't doing it on Nintendo systems.

I'll just repeat what I said in another thread. they will have to show stuff that works and is cool to get me interested at all. Just looking at the remote control part and I it just doesn't look easy to use. Holding it for long times looks like it could become uncomfortable.

Just not buying it yet...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2005, 07:42:30 AM »

It looks a bit strange, but I'm glad Nintendo is being innovative and it's seemed to work well for them.  I'll have to wait and see how games play with it, I just hope there won't have to be a learning curve to use it with every game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: