http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 01:05:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Power to Heal vs the Power to Destroy (56k+)  (Read 1426 times)
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »

+ =

A couple weeks ago I related sad my tale of cat-vs-PS2 contoller, wherein Jonah (seen above) interrupted Kratos' crusade against the gods by chewing through my PS2 controller.  Yesterday the scene was replayed, although the victim was an Xbox Controller S.  As I am not thrilled to pay another $25 to replace the controller I decided to take a look and put my limited skills to work.

First off, a few observations.  The controller seemed to work fine with only two or three of the wires connected.  The important ones are the thicker ones; the red and black.  I managed to play PGR2 and Amped 2 online with my man TML for over an hour just by using scotch tape to hold the wires together.  It worked, but this was not an elegant fix.  Oh, and the tape started to melt and smell like it was burning!

So I cut the cords completely.  No turning back now.  I managed to strip the wires (without tools, and damnit if I didn't just trim my nails), which was actually not easy since some are extremely thin.  I went and picked up some electrical tape and started reconnecting the wires.

I've never actually attempted anything like this, so I am rather excited it actually worked and rather of proud that I was able to do it.  Suddenly making a home-made PS2->USB cable doesn't sound so difficult!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 05:57:12 PM »

Great work.

To pay back the cat:  Bite through him and see if he can reconnect all of his 'wires'...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 05:57:53 PM »

2 words: Wireless

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 06:19:35 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
It worked, but this was not an elegant fix.  Oh, and the tape started to melt and smell like it was burning!

burning, melting tape = definitely 'inelegant' smile ...

ps: nice cat...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »

If it makes you feel any better:

Barfing Cat on top of the TV + 52" HDTV =

$800 to get it fixed.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »

At first when I read your story I laughed.  Then I cried.  I shed a tear!  Then I scrolled up to look at your demonic looking cat yet again.

Maybe he/she isn't demonic, but he/she is giving a kind of mischevious look.  Good luck with the wire project!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 07:04:43 PM »

You are a master technician!

TheMissingLink on PSN
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 07:28:13 PM »

I think I read somewhere that you should rub a solution of water and dish soap on your wires and let that dry to prevent your pets from chewing on them.  Try that, or some other nasty tasting solution, with your other controllers.

Edit:  here's a website with some other interesting ideas.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03nov03a.cfm

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 07:56:03 PM »

Hmmm. Folks, the problem is obvious!

Your cats are feeling ignored.  You spend too much of your time staring at that big glowing box, and petting those hairless non-purring things with long tails, instead of admiring and petting your little kitties.

You need to make sure those kitty cats are not jealous of your hi-def tvs and game controllers, or the problems will never go away!

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 09:19:45 PM »

I think your cat was getting jealous.  
Too much controller love, not enough kitty love!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 10:53:33 PM »

That kitty's lucky he's so cute.

My cat just sits in my lap when I play games.  When I'm playing a game I can pause, it's OK, because I can re-adjust his weight or pet him or whatever and it's cool.  When I'm playing a non-pausable game, like a MMO or an online FPS, it's not cool, because I either let the 18-pound cat (yeah, he's a fatass) make my lower body go to sleep or I die in the game.  Sometimes it's a hard choice.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:57 PM »

Gratch- what am I looking at in that picture?  Is that something behind the screen?  Based on your post, is it vomit  :shock:
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 11:12:23 PM »

Stiffler, that cat is gorgeous... but what a bad habit!  Bear in mind that if he's doing that, he might turn to other corded items - like things plugged into electric sockets:

You'd better treat all your electric cords with whatever you end up using on your controllers! :lol:

Congrats, btw - great job on the Mister Fix-it project! But you really didn't have any electrical tape? Tsk, tsk, tsk... Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 12:10:09 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Gratch- what am I looking at in that picture?  Is that something behind the screen?  Based on your post, is it vomit  :shock:
Yeah, his cat threw up on top of the TV and it pooled behind the screen.  I never did hear the outcome to that story, whether you got it cleaned up or not.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 02:00:44 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yep, that would be pooled cat vomit that actually got between the screens.  My model of TV has 3 screens that are basically glued together.  When the cat got sick, it ran down the front of the TV, pooled at the bottom, and seeped between the screens causing that permanent black smudge at the bottom of the screen.  Unfortunately, there is no way to pry the screens apart to fix it, and the only fix would be to completely replace all three screens, which will run about $800.

Moral of the story:  Make sure you cover your TV screen if you have cats in the house.

P.S.  BTW, the entire saga (including the nearly $1,000 vet bill to try and find out what the hell was wrong with the cat) can be found here.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 02:31:16 AM »

I'm stunned.  I don't know what I would do if our cat did something like that (and I love that damn cat).  I guess I should count myself lucky that our cat has so far shown no intention of hopping on top of the TV.  I'd freak out enough just at the thought of cat hair getting all over the finish and the screen, let alone the thought of vomit permanently pooled in one corner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: