http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:45:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ouya  (Read 3829 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »

Just reading back - how do you call something a "puzzle shooter" and in the vein of Killing Floor and Red Orchestra in the same sentence? RO and Killing Floor aren't alike for that matter.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »

The Ball is already available.  I double checked and it is the same publisher.  It's very Portal-like except horror ( I guess that's the Killing Floor part) based and instead of Portals, your gun manipulates a giant crushing bolder.  No idea about the Red Orchestra reference aside from them both being first person.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:00:56 PM by Lordnine » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »

$99 retail, 6-4 launch in the US, UK and Canada.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »

I just realized today is the day that backer consoles are supposed to be shipping out.  Or start shipping out.  We'll see how long it takes to actually get mine.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 28, 2013, 11:27:39 PM

I just realized today is the day that backer consoles are supposed to be shipping out.  Or start shipping out.  We'll see how long it takes to actually get mine.

did you get yours?  if so any impressions?  I saw this review on Endgadget that makes the founder's edition sound very middle of the road.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 01:53:23 AM »

I still haven't gotten mine.  icon_confused  I'll let you know impressions once I get it, but my expectations have been severely lowered (from already pretty modest expectations).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »

I'm just waiting for the right moment to say "told you so", but we're not quite there yet. Soon.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 06:51:12 AM

I'm just waiting for the right moment to say "told you so", but we're not quite there yet. Soon.

You were still wrong, so you don't have that right.

You kept referring to it as a disaster and a failure based on the Kickstarter, which was actually quite successful, and the potential for what the unit promised, which is still pretty good.  No one has said it is guaranteed for success once it reaches the marketplace because a new console is always a risky venture.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:29:56 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 09, 2013, 12:28:17 PM

You kept referring to it as a disaster and a failure based on the Kickstarter, which was actually quite successful, and the potential for what the unit promised, which is still pretty good.  No one has said it is guaranteed for success once it reaches the marketplace because a new console is always a risky venture.

I've never referred to the Kickstarter itself as a disaster, for obvious reasons. It's the results of that Kickstarter and the travesty that the public let itself be duped that I've protested against, often and loudly. I will continue doing so. The Ouya as a product has been a miserable failure from the moment the creators came up with the idea. It's just taking time for people to notice, and in the meantime they were given the opportunity to pay in advance for it. This is the kind of thing that will hurt Kickstarter in the end, and I hate the Ouya for it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 12:35:13 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 09, 2013, 12:28:17 PM

I've never referred to the Kickstarter itself as a disaster, for obvious reasons. It's the results of that Kickstarter and the travesty that the public let itself be duped that I've protested against, often and loudly. I will continue doing so. The Ouya as a product has been a miserable failure from the moment the creators came up with the idea. It's just taking time for people to notice, and in the meantime they were given the opportunity to pay in advance for it. This is the kind of thing that will hurt Kickstarter in the end, and I hate the Ouya for it.

Quote from: TiLT on January 07, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

Oh boy, another Ouya-like disaster. This won't be pretty.

In the Nvidia console thread, you referred to it as a disaster based on "Kickstarter alone" talking about how the people involved were inexperienced, which Ridah points out is not the case, and how no one is going to sell it, while it turns out that Amazon, BestBuy and Gamestop are all selling it.

You referred to it as a failure and a disaster when it absolutely has already not been so.  It is a small console that was not made to compete with the big consoles that has already sold successfully and has potential to sell more.  It promises a certain level of gaming, and is clearly already able to deliver on that. 

Now we have to see if it'll sell.  As I mentioned before, there's every possibility that the response in the marketplace will be a big meh.  Much like the OnLive console experienced.  However, even at this point, terms like "disaster" and "spectacular failure" don't apply.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 09, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

You referred to it as a failure and a disaster when it absolutely has already not been so.  It is a small console that was not made to compete with the big consoles that has already sold successfully and has potential to sell more.  It promises a certain level of gaming, and is clearly already able to deliver on that. 

Now we have to see if it'll sell.  As I mentioned before, there's every possibility that the response in the marketplace will be a big meh.  Much like the OnLive console experienced.  However, even at this point, terms like "disaster" and "spectacular failure" don't apply.

*sigh*

Am I not making myself clear here? I'm not talking about a disaster in sales. I'm talking about the Ouya being a disaster in itself. Early reviews are absolutely scathing, reinforcing my point. As mentioned yesterday, it's too soon for me to say "told you so" (the early units may not be fully representative of the final product after all), but I sure as hell am going to say it within the near future. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the Ouya's launch will be received well by the press or the public.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

I was thinking of picking one up, until I read it didn't have online multiplayer. (To start, anyway.)

Its completely unacceptable for a console to launch in 2013 without multiplayer, IMO.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 01:09:48 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 09, 2013, 12:49:50 PM

*sigh*

Am I not making myself clear here? I'm not talking about a disaster in sales. I'm talking about the Ouya being a disaster in itself. Early reviews are absolutely scathing, reinforcing my point. As mentioned yesterday, it's too soon for me to say "told you so" (the early units may not be fully representative of the final product after all), but I sure as hell am going to say it within the near future. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the Ouya's launch will be received well by the press or the public.

*sigh*

You were continually referring to the Ouya as a failure at various stages where it was not so.  It has succeeded already in ways that other consoles have not.

Additionally, you seem to have this little device writ large in your brain, but for most of us, if it doesn't succeed, we'll just shrug and move on.  That, by definition, means it won't be a spectacular failure or a disaster.  

You also seem to think that everyone else has been saying it will be some massive success, when that has never been the case.  I certainly have never been convinced it would succeed, though I hoped it would.  

Basically, you're in a room full of people who are either indifferent or already thinking it probably won't amount to much and crowing loudly how you were the only one.  

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »

Sigh vs. Sigh.

icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 09, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

Basically, you're in a room full of people who are either indifferent or already thinking it probably won't amount to much and crowing loudly how you were the only one.  

Actually, I'm in a room full of enablers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 09, 2013, 02:53:41 PM

Sigh vs. Sigh.

icon_wink

I think I heard a neigh too biggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Launch delayed...due to massive private investments?

Ouya has received $15 Million from the likes of Nvidia and one of EA's original investors Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers (a KPCB partner and long-time EA veteran was appointed to the board, too).

Eurogamer's take seems to be that with these folks being convinced by its potential, things are barrelling ahead.  It certainly seems likely that we're going to be hearing more and more about it now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »

Interesting.  I cancelled my pre-order because I didn't need to be receiving a new console just as summer semester started, but now it will be hitting towards the halfway point and I should have a good handle on everything so I may re-preorder.

saw this bit in the article:

But improvements have been made since then, Julie Uhrman insisted. You'll find content more easily in Ouya's online store, because there are people curating it now and the user interface has been tidied up. Ouya controllers also have tighter triggers now and the buttons are less likely to stick. Best of all, though, faceplates are tighter so they're less likely to fall off during delivery!

nice to see some of the issues are being ironed out.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »

and it's out for public purchase.  Amazon is already out of stock; hopefully they'll have some more available towards the end of July.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »

Can you use other controllers with it, or do you have to use the Ouya controller?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »

there's an app for wii motes and PS3 controllers and I did see a pic of someone running Super Mario with a 360 controller hooked up via USB. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »

retail release review from Joystiq.

I just can't get over how small this thing is:

just a few more weeks and I can allow myself a new distraction....

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »

Are we still sighing in this thread or not?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »

You guys, apparently I'm super-lucky, or something - I happened to decide I needed a new distraction for the long weekend (because I have extremely poor judgment), and went on Amazon to check if the Ouya was available. Lo and behold, it was, and I Primed myself one with two controllers to play with over the holiday.

I freakin' love this thing. It really is unbelievably tiny, easy to set up, requires next to no cabling (power and HDMI), and in general is about as close to 'plug-n-play' as I've found in a console.

I unreservedly recommend it as long as you know exactly what you're getting - which is a kit that currently has next to nothing available "natively", but has ridiculously amazing/easy emulation capabilities - I've spent maybe fifteen minutes on the native games/demos, but I already feel like this thing is coming close to its worth.

Off its native app store, you can get emulators for Commodore 64, Atari, NES, SNES, GBA, Nintendo DS, Genesis, and PS1, and it's easy enough (even for a numbskull like me who knows zero about Android) to sideload MAME for arcade emulation. With an 8GB USB stick I had lying around and two controllers, this thing suddenly becomes a multiplayer emulation station that's SO. EASY. to set up and play.

I'm excited about the potential for seeing a ton of Flash games and Unity games ported over in short order, but I think this thing could be worth it at $99 even if very little additional software development gets done for it. I think it's a great little box that's awesome for an enthusiast who wants a bedroom 'retro' console or just to get their emulation onto the big screen easily.

TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »

I've been dying to put some emulation stuff together.  I'll try to dig up a few more reviews, but this sounds like it would be pretty awesome if it could handle basic emulation.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:01 AM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on July 08, 2013, 04:28:34 PM

I've been dying to put some emulation stuff together.  I'll try to dig up a few more reviews, but this sounds like it would be pretty awesome if it could handle basic emulation.

I've seen a video showing that N64 stuff was basically beyond its limited power, but if I had to make a guess, things from the SNES era and earlier should run just perfectly. MAME as well (assuming not the more later year stuff anyway).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »

the unofficial commercial that showed up on the official Ouya channel as a brief marketing test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

Because I can,
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2013, 05:48:32 AM »

Quote from: TheGameAh on July 08, 2013, 04:28:34 PM

I'm no emulation expert, but I think it's pretty flawless at NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1. It struggles a bit with N64, and the newest Neo Geo or MAME stuff, but older titles on NeoGeo and MAME work just fine. It's an outstanding emulation station.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

looks like they're going ahead with the Ouya 2.0 and a better controller.

Because I can,
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

looks like they're going ahead with the Ouya 2.0 and a better controller.

They really need to get their own house in order internally first, but it sounds like the personalities involved probably won't let that happen. I love the hardware (even if it is just a Joust console for me these days), but from all I hear the customer service is atrocious, and doing things like stealth-launching the new controllers and not letting people know which ones they're buying aren't going to generate the good will they so desperately need to get back.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: