http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:52:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Outfit Demo is up on Live!  (Read 1815 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:33:30 PM »

http://www.majornelson.com/

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »

Heh.  Was going to post this as well.  Saw you online, saw you were downloading from the marketplace so I knew something new was on  :lol:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »

Since I am stuck at work, make with the impressions ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!11!!!11111

biggrin  biggrin
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »

Boy, I didn't like it much.  Biggest complaint was how friggin slow the characters moved.  Like running through molasses.  I will most likely rent it for the single, but I didn't care for this sampling of the multi.  Just way to...simple.  Run, shoot, die, spawn.  Ho hum.  Deleted it after 20 minutes of multi.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:16 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Boy, I didn't like it much.  Biggest complaint was how friggin slow the characters moved.  Like running through molasses.  I will most likely rent it for the single, but I didn't care for this sampling of the multi.  Just way to...simple.  Run, shoot, die, spawn.  Ho hum.  Deleted it after 20 minutes of multi.

There is a sprint key you can use. The game is definitely more than run shoot die, and spawn. You're controlling a platoon of men that you use to defend territories on a map. I'd liken the game to be more command and conquer like than anything else. Definitely is not a  straight first person shooter, but more of a hybrid between FPS and RTS.

You can call down all kinds of guns for your soldiers to use whilst they defend a particular point. The .50 calibur is my favorite so far. Everything is destructable so blow down the enemies walls and give them no place to hide.

First Day purchase for me.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »

Well, maybe I should have stuck with it more to see that stuff, but to be honest, it didn't grab me from the get go.  Have you ever jumped in a game and got bored the second you arrived?  That's where this one was for me for whatever reasons.  

But I love the Marketplace.  So much cooler than waiting for those friggin demo disks in the OXM mag.  Yea for the Marketplace.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »

Played a match with the demo.  Its pretty much a poor man's Battlefield 1942 it seems.  It was okay, but I wasn't terribly impressed. I can see how it'd be fun, especially if the controls are tightened up a lot.

As it stands, not for me.  I think if I wanted to play something like this, I'd just grab the latest Battlefield game on the PC, or wait for it on the 360.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 02:46:13 AM »

Well it has split screen multiplayer.  No bots.

It's okay.  Nothing really outstanding but I see it could be fun for others.  It's pretty simplistic combat with the addition of calling in all sorts of useful weapons.

Basically you have a choice of one of three leaders, I'm not sure what each leader gets, but each one does feel different from the other.  The leader you pick determines what weapons you start with, what things you can buy, and what kind of infantry you get as your backup.

Speaking of infantry, you get four mooks that tag along with you.  There's a rudimentary command system for them, you don't get to decide their placment, but you can tell them to fire to suppress, assault, and I think the third one is assault a vehicle.  Normally your mooks follow you around, staying in cover as best they can, but often they stand up in the open.  I figure suppressing fire makes them stay put and shoot, while you move around independantly.  Mooks are easy and cheap to replace as you can request new troops to parachute in right next to you.  You can also nab other abandoned troops on the field.  They come with different weapons depending on who your leader is.

Around the map are control points that you need to capture, along with what are basically factories that upon capture allow you to requisition new things to be airdropped in.  On this map there were was an artillery position, and a vehicle factory.  As you guessed, the artillery position allowed various strikes to be called in, either an airstrike or an artillery strike.  The vehicle factory allows higher level vehicles to be bought.

You can call in various support weapons and effects.  Things like tanks, airstrikes, artillery strikes.  As mentioned above, what you can buy depends on whether you control its factory and which leader you have.  I've only used the American stealth/speed guy and he couldn't buy heavy vehicles, but he could by a very fast armored car with a cannon.  I also saw a wiretap option, which I assume will tap into enemy voice chatter.

To buy things you spend resource points, I'm not too sure of all the things you can do to get them and what determines how much you get, but a few of them were to kill enemy troops, hold control points, or pickup some strange treasure chests that planes randomly drop in both teams' bases.

One very cool thing about the game is that combat happens at long distances, you can see across the map and shoot across it too.  However, long range fire is often ineffective without a rifle.  One problem with this, however, is that you mooks will shoot at anything they see, even if it's not in optimal range, thus giving away your position.  On the other hand, it does give that nice feeling of distant firefights with bullets flying all over.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 04:28:36 AM »

I kind of liked it.  It's more strategic in some ways than BF (placement of machine gun nests, when to buy what vehicle, taking over a motor pool), but it's also more run and gun, due to the smaller map.

The lag was really bad in a 3x3 game, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 04:48:07 AM »

There's one big problem, in that it's a little too easy to take over vehicles while someone's driving it.  In Halo 2, you can board, then you have to knock open the vehicle's cockpit.  In this game, all you have to do is walk up and hit the use button at the right spot.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 05:35:02 PM »

I liked it (and it's a good thing, as it took over 3 hours to download). More strategic than run-and-gun. I can't see paying $60, not with GRAW dropping at the same time. If it had come out a month ago? Purchased and played.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 06:12:40 PM »

an anyone compare this in any way to Mercenaries?  I loved mercenaries beyond what is normal between a man and his video games.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »

I'd definitely compare it to mercenaries.  It's like mercenaries with multiplayer.  And a lot more calling in of support, not to mention you'll always be able to afford extra troops paradropped to you.

There's even a co-op mode too.

After playing quite a bit of multiplayer, I'd have to say the game is actually quite fun, at least in multiplayer.  I'm not sure if the single-player will last all that long, though.

I usually play as the leader with the high purchasing power.  I'm not too good at running and gunning, so I really make use of my squad and usually send them to suppress or assault while I sit in a bush and buy things.  You can really lock down a flank by placing turrets well.  Two machineguns and an AT turret is a really good start, but if you have the time and money having double that amount will pretty much lock down a flank.

There's ways to get around it, such as flanking the turrets (They can only rotate so far), using air and artillery strikes, or somehow killing the soldier manning the gun.

I don't think this is a buy for me, at least not until the game drops in price.  But, I do find it fun and won't hesitate to rent it whenever friends drop by for game night.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:52:41 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I'd definitely compare it to mercenaries.  It's like mercenaries with multiplayer.  And a lot more calling in of support, not to mention you'll always be able to afford extra troops paradropped to you.

There's even a co-op mode too.

After playing quite a bit of multiplayer, I'd have to say the game is actually quite fun, at least in multiplayer.  I'm not sure if the single-player will last all that long, though.

I usually play as the leader with the high purchasing power.  I'm not too good at running and gunning, so I really make use of my squad and usually send them to suppress or assault while I sit in a bush and buy things.  You can really lock down a flank by placing turrets well.  Two machineguns and an AT turret is a really good start, but if you have the time and money having double that amount will pretty much lock down a flank.

There's ways to get around it, such as flanking the turrets (They can only rotate so far), using air and artillery strikes, or somehow killing the soldier manning the gun.

I don't think this is a buy for me, at least not until the game drops in price.  But, I do find it fun and won't hesitate to rent it whenever friends drop by for game night.

See, based on one too small map on live, only 4v4 in the demo, and some wierd unfortunate lag issues, I might be with you on the whole "I would rent this or wait for a price drop", but we are also forgetting the great potential of the SP game (if the mp game is any indication it looks like it could be a blast-Mercenaries sure was, plus its blowing shit up in WW2-come on!) and the possibility that the full MP experience will be that much better. I still think its a full price purchase for me.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 12:52:32 AM »

I thought the whole game was 4vs.4 with the extra units coming from your troopers.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
I thought the whole game was 4vs.4 with the extra units coming from your troopers.
Not sure, but that would be a bummer if it is true-either way, bigger maps would help-it still seemed full of life with only 8 people playing, just cramped.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 01:23:52 PM »

I played this for about 30 minutes last night... I LIKED it ALOT. I was pleasantly suprised, I dont know if it will hold up though.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »

I tried to play the other night. Got into two one vs one games, both times the other guy disconnected within two minutes of play.

Then tried to join a 3 vs 3 (I think) and it would never finish connecting. Gave up after that.

LiveTAG: happydog
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »

By the way, those AA guns are just insane infantry killing machines.

They're difficult to kill since they have high health values, and the gunner manning the thing is shielded from frontal attacks, it also has a 360 degree rotation so it can't be flanked unless it's distracted.

Luckily, a lot of people tend to place them next to other emplacements, and a 300 point airstrike to take out 400-700 res worth of emplacements seems like a good tradeoff for me.  If you distract that AA gun by letting it shoot your infantry, it won't have time to shoot the incoming planes.

Of course, rockets will kill them in 4 hits or so.

I love calling in airstrikes on people who think they're completely safe behind walls of emplacements.  One time I killed an AT gun, and AA gun, two machinegun nests, and another player and his squad in one AA strike.

Oh, and one of the good early game moves on this map is to airstrike the enemy bridge while they're crossing it.

You can also watch for airdrops at the enemy base early on, if you see one, it's likely they're buying a vehicle to rush with.  If I see a drop I usually buy an AT gun to put right in front of my base, since most early vehicles can't take much damage, I've taken out entire squads that tried to vehicle rush this way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 10:48:16 PM »

I grabbed this last night and couldn't find any games.  Is this demo dead already or was I just having bad luck?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 11:40:01 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I grabbed this last night and couldn't find any games.  Is this demo dead already or was I just having bad luck?

With GRAW out...

Well there ya go. Hehe.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 02:19:16 PM »

well,i downloaded it and played it,but i wasnt that impressed...it was okay...the graphics aren't up to much..at least for a next gen title,but then it isnt about the graphics is it...

but i have call of duty 2 for the 360 and compared to this...the outfit just looked very xbox 1ish

could of been a hit on the first console....but i think that players are expecting more from their 50/$60

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »

Question for people who have played the demo...if you had any experience with Batallion Wars, did it feel like that?  Or did it feel more like an rts - placing all your units and whatnot?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2006, 07:56:29 PM »

More like Battalion Wars than an RTS, but I wouldn't really compare the two on their own.  There's not much ordering of your troops.  They kind of just follow you around, and there's no switching to other perspectives, although you can get in vehicles you purchase.  

It really reminds me of Battlezone or that other PC strategy action game where you were scooting around building turrets and defenses.  Oversomething?  Does anyone remember?  It's like that mixed with Battlefield.  A little.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 09:22:11 PM »

Uprising?

I agree that it reminds of Uprising/Battlezone for the PC.  I was playing the demo last week.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  But with Oblivion and GRAW out this month I will probably wait a while to pick up the Outfit.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »

It absolutely was Uprising.  

Hello again, degonizer.  From the other thread, I know that you broke down and bought The Outfit.  What are your thoughts?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »

My friend and I rented this game last night to play in co-op.  It bored us even in co-op mode.  Mindless and repetative in the SP campaign.

They would have been better off to put the SP team towards making very good AI bots for the multiplayer game and used that as the single player.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
It absolutely was Uprising.  

Hello again, degonizer.  From the other thread, I know that you broke down and bought The Outfit.  What are your thoughts?

I have to say that I am loving it so far.  I am on mission 8 in the campaign. I guess it is as repetitive as CoD 2 in the sense that you are just basically following a linear path toward each objective.  But I enjoy playing it as more of a strategy game instead of straight run and gun.  For example using my squad to surpress a machinegun nest while I flank it and melee the gunner. Or dropping an air strike on on a concentration of Germans.  The story isn't amazing but it keeps me playing to see what happens next.  I have only played 2 online matches with the full game, but I plan to play more after I finish the campaign.  The graphics in single player are very good in my opinion.  THey appear to be toned down quite a bit in multiplayer so you can't fully judge the graphics based soley on the demo.

The Outfit seems to be one of those love it or hate it games.  I think I like the it because it is the first 360 game I've played that is unique to the 360. I enjoy CoD 2 and Ghost Recon but they are really just souped up versions of games I've played before. NBA 2K6 and Fight Night are the same way. Even Oblivion is a souped up Morrowind.  I'm glad I decided to buy it instead of Blazing angels.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: