http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 02:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the only review for lost via domus is...  (Read 2228 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »

good, surprisingly a 9.0 from wonderwallweb.  i have to question the source however, as i have never read anything there before.  it does make me interested to try it, but with a reported 12 hours playthrough, it's a rental candidate.

i'd be surprised and impressed with a good game

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:25 AM »

The graphics look really nice, like a more photo-realistic version of Uncharted.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 26, 2008, 06:25:25 AM

The graphics look really nice, like a more photo-realistic version of Uncharted.

bu-bu-bu-but Uncharted is the best looking game EVAR!

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »

I am getting it tomorrow.  I'll let everyone know how it is.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on February 27, 2008, 03:05:59 PM

I am getting it tomorrow.  I'll let everyone know how it is.

Thanks for taking the bullet on this one. Let us know how it goes.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:24:45 PM »

yeah picking it up on friday fro the 360,i reckon its gonna be a one time play through type game then trade in for something else,if i get through it quick enough i will trade it in for bully the following week,but i am  not rushing and i reckon that lost odyssey on the same day will take up most my time anyway

12 hrs though is quite good with todays games...Bioshock took me 8 and ahalf hrs,halo -7hrs(that was on normal though)cod4-6hrs normal...so 12 hrs isnt bad at all

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

This guy has put up pretty much the whole game on Youtube (he's says it's only three hours long):

http://ie.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=TyndelM&p=r

Ugh.  Pass.  Graphics are very nice but that's the only thing going for it.  Looks awful (OMG, Kate was in handcuffs on the plane??!?  I wonder what her story is!)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »

I played the first level today.  It captures the show pretty well, I think.  Opening credits and everything.  The first level is in the plane, then on the beach after the plane.  It's kind of cool to wander around and see, for example, Locke staring at his toes (by the way, the second character you meet is Vincent).

The graphics are not quite as dazzling as I was hoping.  The character models range from not bad to lame.  So far the fake voices haven't really bothered me.  No one is trying to do an imitation (except for the Locke guy), they're keeping it low-key and trying not to distract you.  Kind of like the guy who played Indy in the last Indiana Jones game.  He wasn't doing Harrison Ford, but he captured the essence of the character.

Oddly, the most interesting aspect of the game is the main character's story.  It's the typical video game character in search of his memory schtick, but given the setting, it works pretty well.  It also ties into flashbacks for the character.  And in the flashbacks, he has to use a camera to frame and focus on just the right moment to trigger a memory (or at least that's what you do in the first flashback I played).  That was a pretty cool mechanic, IMO.  It made the memory/flashback thing active.  The camera plays a larger role in the guy's story, too. 

There was a cool moment at the end of the first chapter where everything came to a crescendo, the music built and then they cut to the black Lost screen with the iconic music hit.  The next level loaded and the announcer said, "Previously, on Lost," then we got a brief recap of the previous level, followed by a cut scene, then opening credits.  That may make it difficult to play numerous levels in a row, but it seemed pretty cool to me.

Overall, if you're a fan of the show, it's definitely worth a rental, at least.  Only one level in, I hate to judge it too much, but I have a feeling it's not worth the full price.  Seems like a $30 game to me, max.  I have no doubt I'll enjoy it, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:45:14 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 27, 2008, 05:24:45 PM

Bioshock took me 8 and ahalf hrs

icon_eek  I'm not even finished yet (though I'm close) and I'd be surprised if I haven't played at least 30 hours.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 03:29:30 AM »

Anyone playing it, don't read this spoiler text, it probably gives too much away.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I read the full spoilers on this, and I'll just say, I'd be pissed if I bought this and played through it.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 04:32:11 AM »

I don't know that I like the idea of the game trying to flatly imitate the show, complete with recaps of what you just did and opening credits for every chapter.  What the previously on sequences could do is give you snippets from very early levels, like giving you something from lvl 1 when you're going into lvl 10, allowing them to be very subtle with hints that the game will recall for you when they become necessary to advance.  However, I strongly suspect that this game isn't using them that way.

I'm all for tying in different media types to one large fictional universe.  I'm not inherently against the idea of doing a game based on a TV show or movie.  But the people making the game, or the owners of the original property, more likely, need to realize that they're making a game, and not an interactive version of the show.  Games can be very effective storytellers, but they're not TV shows.  Having "opening credits" at the beginning of each chapter just serves to hinder immersion into the world, the very immersion that can set the game apart from the TV show.  Very odd design choice.

Back on topic, I'll be interested to try this once it drops down to uber-cheap prices.  Since I stopped watching Lost after season 2 because the producers seemed determined to create the show that filled the most airtime without advancing the plot at all.  I've heard it's gotten better, but I'll have to be pretty bored before I rent season 3 and find out.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 28, 2008, 04:32:11 AM

Since I stopped watching Lost after season 2 because the producers seemed determined to create the show that filled the most airtime without advancing the plot at all.  I've heard it's gotten better, but I'll have to be pretty bored before I rent season 3 and find out.

You're really missing out on some great television.  Season 2 was an unfortunate anomaly.  The latter half of season 3 and the beginning of season 4 have been exceptional, and the season 3 finale was simply amazing.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 28, 2008, 06:39:28 AM

Quote from: Chaz on February 28, 2008, 04:32:11 AM

Since I stopped watching Lost after season 2 because the producers seemed determined to create the show that filled the most airtime without advancing the plot at all.  I've heard it's gotten better, but I'll have to be pretty bored before I rent season 3 and find out.

You're really missing out on some great television.  Season 2 was an unfortunate anomaly.  The latter half of season 3 and the beginning of season 4 have been exceptional, and the season 3 finale was simply amazing.

I would go so far as to say the only serious misstep was the first part of Season 2.  "The Tailies" set up.  Get us to care about the characters on the island, then force us to relearn a whole other set?  That was cool for one ep, but to spend half a season on it was a bad idea.  Still, Mr. Echo was a great character.  The Nikki and Paulo misstep turned into something good when they got rid of those two.  And it felt like the exact opposite of filling airtime.  It felt like they tried something that didn't work, were aware of it and brought it to a satisfying conclusion.  Also on that front, since they've got a specific end in sight, they're more focused than ever.

As for the credits bit, I've only seen one "previously on," so I have no idea how they're going to use it.  I kind of expect them to refresh your mind and drop some hints.  Either way, it reminds me of the "Story So Far" segments of Professor Layton, which work well.  And the credits sequence is all of ten seconds long and is just the title card.  One of the best title sequences ever, IMO, and the fact that the network hasn't forced them to spice it up and add character pictures is simply amazing.  Because it's so short, it's hardly distracting.  Frankly, it's something that pulls me in, rather than out.  My only concern is playing multiple levels in a row, would that lose it's charm.  I feel the same way about watching multiple episodes of TV in a row, though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »

yeah, now that they've said they are only going to do 3 more seasons (4,5 & 6) and there will only be 16 episodes in a season they'll have less time for pointless filler, leading to a tighter (hopefully) storyline.

personally, I just want to know what the heck that smoke monster is!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

thanks for the impressions people(esp Bullwinkle)...yup,been a big fan of the show since day one,there are still a few questions i wanna know,like CK said,what the hell is the smoke monster...

someone posted a pretty good theory on IMDB,about everyone being on a loop,and the ghost person in that hut is locke from the future,also it was locke who created the chess game,and thats why he could beat it and also charlie programmed the beach boys thing in the numbers just before he bought it,and thats how he knew how to break it(this was when people werent believing that charlie (a fellow mancunian to myself)was really dead..there  was other things said and it made some sense...in a lost kinda way...i wanna know more about the dharma company

gutted that its only gonna go to 16 episodes if what CK says is right

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 28, 2008, 05:09:25 PM

No, no, no- 16 episodes per season, though S4 has now been cut to 13 episodes because of the writer's strike.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 28, 2008, 05:54:12 PM

No, no, no- 16 episodes per season, though S4 has now been cut to 13 episodes because of the writer's strike.

yeah,sorry thats what i meant......shit about the writers strike,Heroes suffered as well,having only half the season making up season 2,but at least that season ended well

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

if any of you have a UK account,a lost interview has just appeared on the marketplace,its done by one of the frag dolls and is on for about 8 minutes,and has a lot of vids from the game,the plane crash looked great..but on a few of the vids i noticed a lot of screen tearing..hopefully that was only from that vid on the marketplace and not the game...looks decent though,and jack/sayids voice are quite good for not actually being them...i think the voice issue wont worry me that much,and the guy being interviewed lists the actual cast members who were able to do their own voices

i checked both my hong kong account and american account and unfortunately the interview hasnt appeared on any of them

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 28, 2008, 06:25:04 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 28, 2008, 05:54:12 PM

yeah,sorry thats what i meant......shit about the writers strike,Heroes suffered as well,having only half the season making up season 2,but at least that season ended well

Yeah, Heroes could have really used a longer season, too, to fully clear the awful taste of the first chunk of this season out of our mouths.

It just occurred to me that the Taillies were the start of the third season, not the second.  So that's what I meant.

I finished the second chapter of the game now.  I like it.  The gameplay elements are a little underwhelming
Spoiler for Hiden:
I did enjoy the tension while hiding from the black smoke, but it wasn't entirely clear when  that needed to happen, exactly.  They said to listen for audio clues and you could sometimes see it, but the exact danger sweet spot was hard to determine - same thing with some sniper dodging shortly thereafter...also the cave level was both cool and a little annoying
but the story is actually pretty interesting.  I enjoy the show structure format, but couldn't they have gotten a higher def version of the logo screen?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:29:34 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

Bullwinkle, you had it right the first time- the tailies were second season, not third.  Beginning of the third was focused on The Others. 
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 03:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 28, 2008, 07:26:48 PM

but couldn't they have gotten a higher def version of the logo screen?

seriously.  it looks like someone recorded it off a tv using a camera phone and just slapped it in the game.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »

The hatch made me think that was the focus of the second season, but I guess it was both.  In my mind, the other survivors completely took over the show once they came on.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »

Just to elaborate on my earlier spoiler (avoid if you don't want to know the ending):

Spoiler for Hiden:
If what I read about the ending is correct, the whole game is this guy having a dream. It's not actually canon with the show at all.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 12:57:26 PM »

yeah just finished it....so-so game,that reviewer up above was prolly playing with his feet when it said 12 hrs long,took me about 4..maybe 5 hrs tops

being a LOST fan i wish i had rented(although there are no video game rental stores near me,perhaps thats what MS should do next with the 360),the difficulty level was prolly just right for me,with the activation boards puzzles on teh computer and the dark caves etc...but it just really needed to be longer...i even got 30/30 achievements(although i had to look on the net for some of the secret achievements)....i bought the game exactly 25hrs ago,and for 40...feeling just a little bit ripped,LOL...well,back to lost odyssey

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »

So, since you finished it, does it actually bring everything to closure or is it just season one?  Cause at $60 a game they have got to be on crack to think they will ever sell enough to justify another.  Quite honestly, I couldn't imagine ANYONE buying it, but that's neither here nor there.  Does it answer ANY of the shows questions? 

1. What is the smoke monster?
2. Just who the hell is Ben really and why are the new folks after him?
3. What is Dharma and what were they doing?
4. What is really under, or in, the island that makes it have all these strange properties?
5. Who will Kate end up with?  (for the ladies...)
6. Is Charlie really dead?
7. Who was in the coffin at the funeral Jack visited?
8. Why does Kate have Claire's baby back in the States in the future?
9. Why, in the future, is Saeed working with Ben to assassinate all these people?
10. Who is Jacob? 
11. Was the crash intentional or random event caused by Island magnetic anomaly?

and I could go on and on and on.  Does the game answer any of these?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »

mikeg, the game is not considered canon at all by the show's creators, so even if it did answer any of that stuff (which I'm sure it didn't) it wouldn't "count". 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 01, 2008, 01:16:05 PM

So, since you finished it, does it actually bring everything to closure or is it just season one?  Cause at $60 a game they have got to be on crack to think they will ever sell enough to justify another.  Quite honestly, I couldn't imagine ANYONE buying it, but that's neither here nor there.  Does it answer ANY of the shows questions? 

1. What is the smoke monster?
2. Just who the hell is Ben really and why are the new folks after him?
3. What is Dharma and what were they doing?
4. What is really under, or in, the island that makes it have all these strange properties?
5. Who will Kate end up with?  (for the ladies...)
6. Is Charlie really dead?
7. Who was in the coffin at the funeral Jack visited?
8. Why does Kate have Claire's baby back in the States in the future?
9. Why, in the future, is Saeed working with Ben to assassinate all these people?
10. Who is Jacob? 
11. Was the crash intentional or random event caused by Island magnetic anomaly?

and I could go on and on and on.  Does the game answer any of these?

Honestly?  Are you really expecting any of these things to really be revealed in a video game?  Something that maybe 1/10th of the shows audience will ever play (and I'm being extremely generous)?  No offense, mikeg, but you're a freaking loon.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

I know.  Just wishing since they will N E V E R be answered in the freakin show.   mad

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »

i didnt notice that Kate had clairs baby in the future....was that this season?(as it was doing some futureflashes at the end of the last season),i still have last weeks episode to watch(mum has recorded it for me,but she is putting this weeks episode on the same disc)

the smoke monster is something i wanna know as well.....oh,and while we are at it,why was jack seeing his dead dad on the island in season 1(if you remember,Jack was bringing his dad back to LA from australia,and his coffin was empty when he found it on the island)

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 01, 2008, 02:47:42 PM

Honestly?  Are you really expecting any of these things to really be revealed in a video game?  Something that maybe 1/10th of the shows audience will ever play (and I'm being extremely generous)?  No offense, mikeg, but you're a freaking loon.

They revealed the meaning of the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42) in an some sort of online web game, so it wouldn't be out of the question.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 01, 2008, 07:22:45 PM

i didnt notice that Kate had clairs baby in the future....was that this season?(as it was doing some futureflashes at the end of the last season),i still have last weeks episode to watch(mum has recorded it for me,but she is putting this weeks episode on the same disc)

the smoke monster is something i wanna know as well.....oh,and while we are at it,why was jack seeing his dead dad on the island in season 1(if you remember,Jack was bringing his dad back to LA from australia,and his coffin was empty when he found it on the island)

Um, no.  We didn't spoil anything.  Heh.  No baby for Kate.  Certainly no baby that has a big reveal at the end that it's Claire's baby (though that was one of their more obvious surprises). 

Jack did see his father a few times in the first season.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 01, 2008, 09:20:16 PM

They revealed the meaning of the numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42) in an some sort of online web game, so it wouldn't be out of the question.

According to the producers, mobisodes and online stuff is all canon but the videogame is not. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 01, 2008, 09:20:16 PM

i didnt see/play that.....so,what is the meaning of the numbers?(if you know)

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 06:58:10 AM »

The numbers are part of the Valenzetti Equation, which predicts the moment at which the human race destroys itself.  One of Dharma's goals was to change one of the numbers in order to stop this from happening.  The fact that the numbers keep coming up shows that they haven't succeeded, which I thought was a pretty clever way of explaining why these numbers show up all over the place.  There's a full article at Lostpedia.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »

So, now that this game is $13.56 at Circuit City right now, do those who have played it think it is even worth that?   Price is good til the 4th I believe irregardless of what it says on the package.  I went by CC this morning and the package said $29.99 but rang up $13.56.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

hmm,i would base it on how well you like the show,the game is good,but far too short...$13 seems quite good though

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »

well, i picked this up on the cheap from cc and finished it over two days.  not a lot of game here, and i was pretty surprised that each episode goes by as quickly as it did.  i really disliked the caves in the early part and the smoke monster dynamite section, but overall it wasn't bad.  just too damn short.  i would have been royally pissed if i bought this full price as there isn't a shred of replay value over getting achievements.  i damn near maxed out on the first run anyways once i knew about the flashback items.

anyone want to try this can have it for $8 shipped otherwise i may just sell it to gamestop. 

and yeah, the graphics were pretty damn nice, but i missed the little touches that were in uncharted (wet clothes after passing through water, shadows and particle effects, etc).  they did manage to make the jungle confusing enough to pass for a real one as i got turned around a few times.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: