http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 05:36:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The oldies are calling me back  (Read 1963 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:58:58 AM »

I haven't played a PC game since I got my XBOX in 2003 (Christmas), yet, the classics are calling me back.

I've got the urge to play some Disciples, some Civ. 2., finally finish Brood War and Warcraft III.

It's odd that after such a long time there's still that tug.  It remains to be seen whether I actually do though....

Any bouts of nostalgia going on with anyone else?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »

Yep, after it was mentioned the other day I played through Neuromancer again.  I have also reinstalled NWN and played through the expansion packs of those two recently.  What I really need to do is sit down and finally BEAT the Wind Waker.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:15:42 PM »

I too am getting the itch to play some PC games again for the first time in 2 or 3 years.  I'd like to give the Baldur's Gate series another shot, or maybe finish the original System Shock or Ultima VII.    I'm certainly not lacking for games: finding time is the problem.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:49:11 PM »

I just played the first three levels of Unreal the last couple days.  They were just as amazing as the first time.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 05:24:27 PM »

Not really the "oldies" ATB, but I have a serious problem with replaying what I consider classics. Right now, on my start menu, are the following games that I have already beaten and intend to replay or have already started replaying in the last few weeks:

Homeworld 2
Warcraft 3+TFT
Rome:Total War
Half Life 2
Max Payne 2 (finished 3 times)
Planescape:Torment (finished 3 times)
Baldur's Gate 2
Republic Commando
Freespace 2 (3 times)
Freespace (3 times)
Freelaner
Starlancer (3 times)
Warhammer:DOW

and more. Seriously, cry for me, for I have a disease.  crybaby
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 06:04:02 PM »

I rebuilt my gaming system and now I'm reinstalling all of my games...or at least a lot of them.  I will try to post a pic of my start menu sometime.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 06:24:53 PM »

I just recently finished Fallout Tactics and Max Payne 1. Ive got Galactic Civilizations, Master of Orion, Space Empires 4 GOLD on here. And right now Im playing Alien vs Predator 2. Im on the pred missions so more than halfway done again.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 11:12:25 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
And right now Im playing Alien vs Predator 2. Im on the pred missions so more than halfway done again.

What a GREAT game!  Man, I love how the different missions intersect each other.  The way the Predator missions begin is straight out of an earlier scene with the marine.  That was one of the many little touches that really made the title shine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »

I've been spending some quality time with The Ur-Quan Masters.  And I'm eagerly awaiting that remake of Quest For Glory 2 that's in the works.  I'll have to see if I can dig up Neuromancer again, based on Ron's recommendation.  I tried to give the book to my girlfriend to read but alas, her geek quotient is disappointingly low. :cry:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:03:38 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Daehawk"
And right now Im playing Alien vs Predator 2. Im on the pred missions so more than halfway done again.

What a GREAT game!  Man, I love how the different missions intersect each other.  The way the Predator missions begin is straight out of an earlier scene with the marine.  That was one of the many little touches that really made the title shine.

Ever since this game Ive hoped they'd make a pure human game. It was the most tense and knee jerk inducing fun ever along with System Shock 1 and 2. I just loved the human campaign the most. Im now a little baby facehugger looking for a mommy smile

I was caught a little off guard with the graphics. I remember them looking better than they do but thats memory for ya. Still looks great just not as great as I recall.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:34:56 AM »

A few years ago I got a copy of AvP2 on clearance at Circuit City for 5 bucks.  I've been meaning to try it out. Hey, that's what we need to do: twist the CG effect to work on backlogs instead of new games!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 01:02:07 AM »

We could pick an oldie but goodie and do a Console Gold Challenge.  Remember those from Gone Gold?  We pick an old game and all agree to start on it at the same time and play through it together, discussing it along the way.

Fun stuff!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 01:11:33 AM »

Oh, I remember the Challenges.  It'd be fun to see those again, both for PC and console games.  Who knows?  My playing time is pretty limited, but maybe a Challenge would keep driving me onward.

I'd vote yes.  I might even be able to participate--but no "CG Challenge: Morrowind GOTY" (mytocles)...
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 04:43:39 AM »

Well I finished AvP2. I took my time and played each species' campaign per evening.

I got a question though ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why was the head evil doctor a synthetic? Was he so badly injured before that he had to be remade in a synthetic body? I did'nt know they could do that. With a living human.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 04:44:27 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
We could pick an oldie but goodie and do a Console Gold Challenge.  Remember those from Gone Gold?  We pick an old game and all agree to start on it at the same time and play through it together, discussing it along the way.

Fun stuff!

Challenges rock the effing vote. We should have a poll to decide the first game, choose a variety of genres.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 05:34:57 AM »

Yall serious or what? Those games that yall mention is um, a little bit dry. I be back tomorrow and post 5 good oldie games for the pc. I have over 390 pc games,  so i will make sure to post some good ones.

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 05:40:57 AM »

Quote from: "The General"
Yall serious or what? Those games that yall mention is um, a little bit dry. I be back tomorrow and post 5 good oldie games for the pc. I have over 390 pc games,  so i will make sure to post some good ones.

Dear god, just go away. Some of these games are all time classics and you, who have proven to have absolutely no concept of quality in gaming, are telling us they are dry? What was the last PC game you talked about? What was it...Turok 2!!!
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 05:52:17 AM »

Fun stuff!

Neuromancer  biggrin
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 06:19:12 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Yep, after it was mentioned the other day I played through Neuromancer again.  I have also reinstalled NWN and played through the expansion packs of those two recently.  What I really need to do is sit down and finally BEAT the Wind Waker.

I have NWN Platinum sitting here (forever now) and still have yet to play it for the first time.  I also have BGII:SoA awaitintg a first go. :oops:
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 03:45:32 PM »

Ironic seeing this post... I just fired up X-Com on the dos emulator dosbox last week (i think thats what its called)  And have been playing all the way through.  I don' t know if any of you recall an article in CGW recently that stated that old games aren't as fun now as they were when they were new... What a bunch of HOOEY!  Xcom (for me at least) is still just as engaging and fun even with the old graphics engine.  

In fact it was that article that made me try it out to see if he was right.  Thank god he was wrong! smile

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 03:45:38 PM »

Well rage , the only game that i see that is mention in this thread that is good, is unreal. I have unreal GOLD( 2 Episodes) and its a good game. And dont hate on turok 2, that game sold millions and millions of copies, both on pc and n64 back in the day. And its still good now, in 2005.

You think it's funny?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »

Turok was nothing but a simulation of fog at a distance of 5 feet.

Anyways I discovered I can play the Half Life 1 addons for free if I own HL so Im playing Opposing Force. I thought Id played them all but guess I missed this one. I know I played Blue Shift and some quality  mods like Azure Sheep, USS Darkstar, and They Hunger. Seems like there was another one but I cant think of it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 04:30:24 PM »

Was Azure Sheep the one where you had to travel with the woman through the game?  If so, it was pretty cool.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 08:01:18 PM »

6 games that i have , and even tho old, stillg great.

Requiem avenging angel, Kingpin life of crime, urban chaos( GTA KIller ) , Sonic 3D Blast & Sonic R , Need for Speed II SE.

You think it's funny?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 09:33:47 PM »

Was Azure Sheep the one where you had to travel with the woman through the game?  If so, it was pretty cool.

Not that I recall.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 02:26:45 PM »

My vote for CG Challenge: Civ 2. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: