http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:24:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official "ZOMG Hi2u Pokemans Trading!!1!" Thread (Plus Impressions)  (Read 10529 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2007, 11:35:31 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 26, 2007, 09:07:34 PM

I just got to the Pokemon contests.
It's a damn beauty peagant!

Yeah...I skipped that and the dough mixing mini game later on.  I hope I don't actually need to win those for something useful.  Are they just for flavor?
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2007, 01:24:10 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 26, 2007, 11:09:41 PM

Quote from: Magik on April 26, 2007, 11:08:31 PM

Why do pokemon ignore orders some times? I have a monferno who will ignore orders, fall asleep, and pretend to not hear me for like 3 or 4 rounds in a row! Very annoying!

If they're traded to you and you level them beyond your ability to control them, they do that. For instance, until you have two badges, you can only control a traded pokemon up to level 10. After you get your second badge, it's upped to 30, then I forget what the step-ups are after that.

That's it! Thanks! My monkey was too high of a level smile
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2007, 03:02:29 AM »

Quote from: Magik on April 26, 2007, 01:37:32 PM

Something neat...

For whatever reason the Japanese are trading lvl 1 starter pokemon for fairly common early catches. For instance, I traded 2 magikarp for a turtwig (male) lvl 1 and a Chimchar (male) lvl 1 w/pokerus + flamethrower (bred into him I am assuming)!

So, while it's hot, head to the GTS in Jublife city and start trading away those magikarp and shinxs and starlys for starters!

Japanese gamers rock! Yes, I'm stereotyping, but I've had some great experiences with nice people that simply help you out for no reason other than they want to.

I got a Japanese Level 1 Turtwig for a Level 5 Magikarp. I've offered up a Level 10 Magikarp for a Chimchar. See if I can get that one as well.

Good stuff!

Edit: Yup. Just got an Level 1 Chimchar from someone named Takashi. Nice stuff.

Is there any way to send mail to someone based on their ID No.? The Chimchar came with mail attached to him, but I have no idea how to reply to the guy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:22:01 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »

How exactly does the trading with Japan work?  I know you have to go to the GTS but exactly how do you do it?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 27, 2007, 11:48:24 AM

How exactly does the trading with Japan work?  I know you have to go to the GTS but exactly how do you do it?

You either find a Japanese pokemon already up for trade and give them the pokemon they're asking for, or you put one of yours up for trade and specify what you want in return.  In the latter case, it's not necessarily going to be a JP person that takes you up on your offer, but for now they're going to be the more active traders.

I'm not sure, but I think you'll increase your chances of an excellent Japanese trade if you give your pokemon a nickname.  I thought I heard that the JP version doesn't let them input English letters, so it's kind of a novelty for them to have an American pokemon.  Without a nickname, the critter's name switches over to Japanese in the trade.

Oh, and a public service announcement:  If you've gotten to the windmill area, there's a pokemon there that only appears on Fridays.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »

Ohh, now I see.  The reason American Magikarps are popular is that he is one of a dozen or so pokemon that have alternate pokedex entries if you have a foreign version.  The list is:

Ekans
Pikachu
Psyduck
Ponyta
Staryu
Magikarp
Wobbuffet
Heracross
Sneasel
Teddiursa
Houndour
Wingull
Slakoth
Roselia

Foreign versions of these guys will let you see their description in different languages, so all of them will probably give you a good chance of getting a great JP trade.
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »

Awesome! I will start fishing like mad now smile

Question:

Once a pokemon gets pokerus and is cured of it (eventually), can they re-catch pokerus? Or is that it?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2007, 02:14:09 PM

Ohh, now I see.  The reason American Magikarps are popular is that he is one of a dozen or so pokemon that have alternate pokedex entries if you have a foreign version.  The list is:

Ekans
Pikachu
Psyduck
Ponyta
Staryu
Magikarp
Wobbuffet
Heracross
Sneasel
Teddiursa
Houndour
Wingull
Slakoth
Roselia

Foreign versions of these guys will let you see their description in different languages, so all of them will probably give you a good chance of getting a great JP trade.

That's awesome! I gotta do that asap for a chimchar (though I don't have a dex entry for those yet) and a turtwig.

As for the windmill area... I think I'm unfortunately a bit far from there. I haven't progressed too far since the other day when I got the first badge. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
depward

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »

I put up a Magikarp for a Pickachu on the GTS.  I just want a dang Pickachu, OK?!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:38 PM »

Just a reminder, the Drifloon (balloon pokemon) appears only on Fridays during the day near the windmills. They are close to Floratown!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 27, 2007, 03:39:27 PM

I put up a Magikarp for a Pickachu on the GTS.  I just want a dang Pickachu, OK?!

icon_lol

TheMissingLink on PSN
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »

Ekans
Pikachu
Psyduck
Ponyta
Staryu
Magikarp
Wobbuffet
Heracross
Sneasel
Teddiursa
Houndour
Wingull
Slakoth
Roselia

Aha! That makes sense then. Time to hunt more Psyducks for trade bait. The next question becomes...

...I wonder what the names are of the dozen or so Japanese Pokemon that aren't in our versions. I'd like to get those.

The Japanese Chimchar and Turtwig that I got were from daycare eggs. Is that why they get an experience boost in combat? I was able to get the Chimchar and Turtwig to Level 17 in about two hours last night.

And thanks for the tip on the Windmill Pokemon. I was there last night and got the message about the once-a-week Pokemon. I'll try to pick him up today.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Would the Pokemon names be the same for the Pokemon with different pokedex entries?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:30:22 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on April 27, 2007, 07:27:44 PM

<multilingual pokemon list>

Aha! That makes sense then. Time to hunt more Psyducks for trade bait. The next question becomes...

...I wonder what the names are of the dozen or so Japanese Pokemon that aren't in our versions. I'd like to get those.
I think it's that same list no matter what country version you have.  There is an in-game NPC that can give you a German pokemon.

The Japanese Chimchar and Turtwig that I got were from daycare eggs. Is that why they get an experience boost in combat? I was able to get the Chimchar and Turtwig to Level 17 in about two hours last night.
Any traded pokemon will have boosted experience, but it has to be from someone else, you can't trade away and back for the effect.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Would the Pokemon names be the same for the Pokemon with different pokedex entries?
I believe so, it sounds like (for those dozen pokemon) it would let you scroll through the different language descriptions you've found.

The name itself will change to English unless they've renamed it a Japanese nickname.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »

Ok, I caught Drifloon on my lunch break, and this guy has got to be one of the creepiest characters to appear on an E rated game.

It's a ghost balloon, made of human souls.  It's description manages to both be really creepy and really adorable:

When it holds onto the hands of children with its string, it will try to pull the youngster to the underworld. Being so light, though, it only gets tossed around effortlessly.

I can see it now...

"Prepare for your death, child, for I have come for your soul.  Wait, stop that!  I am not a balloon, stop playing with me!"
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2007, 08:24:25 PM »

I also got the drifloon during my lunch break! It was kind of hard to hide it so that my manager wouldn't see me playing haha!

I love his description, but it is slightly creepy. eek
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2007, 07:57:43 PM

"Prepare for your death, child, for I have come for your soul.  Wait, stop that!  I am not a balloon, stop playing with me!"

I'm not sure I'll ever look at a balloon the same way from now. smile

depward

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Magik on April 27, 2007, 08:24:25 PM

I also got the drifloon during my lunch break! It was kind of hard to hide it so that my manager wouldn't see me playing haha!

I remember some dude / lady telling me where to find him, but I forgot.  Can you divulge the details for me pleeeeease?   icon_smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2007, 08:47:38 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 27, 2007, 08:44:21 PM

I remember some dude / lady telling me where to find him, but I forgot.  Can you divulge the details for me pleeeeease?   icon_smile

You can find him outside the Valley Windworks, east of the flower town.  Better hurry, I think he only appears during the daytime.  He'll be a visible sprite out in the open.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2007, 08:56:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2007, 08:47:38 PM

Quote from: depward on April 27, 2007, 08:44:21 PM

You can find him outside the Valley Windworks, east of the flower town.  Better hurry, I think he only appears during the daytime.  He'll be a visible sprite out in the open.
Shartpants, I'm at work.  DS BELOW THE DESK FTW?!

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2007, 08:47:38 PM

Better hurry, I think he only appears during the daytime.

Ack. I'm about 30 minutes on my way to Eterna City and lost. I'll never make it back in time, even if I knew the right direction to run. Next week.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »

Cute.

When I got my first badge, out of curiosity I opened my badge case and poked it with my stylus.  It made a little chime sound.  Neat.  The 2nd and 3rd badge made higher tuned chimes, like going up a scale.

But when I poked them in a row, I thought I heard a rubbing sound, like when you move your thumb over clean tupperware.  I intentionally rubbed a badge with my stylus, and sure enough it was a rubbing sound.

And then the badge turned lighter!  More rubbing made it even brighter, and finally it started to shine!  The chime it made when I poked it even got clearer.

So take pride in your badges, and keep them clean and shiny!
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »

UPDATE:

Just nabbed my 4th badge and trying to figure out what to do now smile I'm at 24 hours played time and as far as I can tell, I'm only at the half way point! Man this game has some legs!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »

At 24 hours, I just beat the third gym. How are you so quick?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

I think my pokemon were underpowered for the last fight. I ended up using close to 12 potions, 4 super potions, 3 moo milks for that 4th badge smile I'm sure if I spent more time leveling up my team I'd be closer to about 28 hours.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2007, 05:08:53 PM »

UPDATE:

I just got my first badge at Oreburgh City.  I headed back to Jubilife City to try out the GTS tonight.  I also posted my friend code in the multiplayer forum and added everyone there.  Unfortunately, I'm progressing much slower than everyone else here.  My son has already caught 78 Pokemon (including Dialga)!!!  icon_eek  I've been sick the past few days and haven't really played any games at all.  I'm going to trade with my son this weekend to get Dialga!

I've recently added an Onyx, Geodude (named: PeteRock), two Psyducks (one I named Iguanodon), Zubat and a Shinx.  My strategy is to identify a core team and level them up equally.  My second goal is to have backups for each leveled equally.  My Piplup (name:  Blueshift) is currently Level 14.  I think he evolves at Level 16.

XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2007, 05:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on May 02, 2007, 05:08:53 PM

My son has already caught 78 Pokemon (including Dialga)!!!  icon_eek  I've been sick the past few days and haven't really played any games at all.  I'm going to trade with my son this weekend to get Dialga!

I just captured Palkia, the Pearl version of Dialga (I've been powergaming a bit as I'm eager to get to the post-game stuff).  I'd love if we could work out a time to trade and then trade back Palkia and Dialga, as that's the only we can get those entered in each other's pokedexs.

By the end of the week I should be able to get my National List or whatever it's called, which opens up about 300 more pokemon to find.  If any of you have any favorite critters that you'd like me to grab for you, just let me know.  I just picked up some used copies of LeafGreen and Emerald on the cheap, so with those I'll even be able to bring over the starter pokemon from the previous generations.

So feel free to ask for anything you (or your kids) would like to have, and I'll see what I can do. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2007, 05:39:07 PM »

Don't worry Starshifter; my life's been busy enough that I haven't progressed much further than you myself.

I know we haven't had much trading/battle action between any of us yet, but I expect that we won't see much of that until several of us have finished the "main quest" of the game and everything opens up.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »

Why is it that certain Pokemon get to attack twice in a row?  This is pissing me off.  For example, I was battling a Psyduck.  He attacked once.  Then I get to choose my move to attack.  But, after choosing my attack, he gets to attack again before my move is activated!  WTF!  Two attacks in a row?  I've had several Pokemon lose because of this.  Does this game cheat?  I know the Speed stat dictates who gets to attack first but not twice in a row!  Am I missing something here???

XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »

I'm going to just assume that your pokemon is named Mantooth.  Did you see a "Mantooth flinched" message?  Or was Mantooth confused?  Did you just swich Mantooth in?  Does the enemy usually go 2nd, but then use an "always goes first" move like Quick Attack?  Did you use an item that round, perhaps to heal Mantooth?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2007, 07:35:08 PM

I'm going to just assume that your pokemon is named Mantooth.  Did you see a "Mantooth flinched" message?  Or was Mantooth confused?  Did you just swich Mantooth in?  Does the enemy usually go 2nd, but then use an "always goes first" move like Quick Attack?  Did you use an item that round, perhaps to heal Mantooth?

Definitely no flinch occurred.  Not confused either.  As a matter of fact, no status conditions at all.  I know about switching in that takes up a turn and using an item that does likewise.  The only thing I'm not sure of is the Quick Attack.  But, correct me if I'm wrong:  there is no way to see the enemies attack moves right?  So I could never know what moves are going against me until they do the move and it states what the attack is.  It just seems to happen normally.  They attack.  I register my attack.  They go again. Then my attack activates.  It must be something they are holding.

Mantooth.  Good one!   icon_lol

On another note.  How do you guys remember all the moves and what trumps what?  Do you have the battle grid next to you when playing?  Do you use the strat guide?  When you come up against a Pokemon you are not familiar with do you look it up to see what type it is so you can easily trump its moves?

Thanks!

XM Channel 76
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2007, 09:06:33 PM »

This is how I feel every time:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »

That 5th badge leader is a pain!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Her mismagius crushed 4 out of my 6 pokemon!! The gym leader afterwards in Canalave city is a pushover in comparison!

Also,
got pretty sweet trade today on the GTS: 1 level 6 magikarp for a lvl 51 Lucario!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

Don't forget that today's Friday, and another chance to get your adorable soul-devouring undead balloon at the Valley Windworks.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 04, 2007, 02:19:50 PM

Don't forget that today's Friday, and another chance to get your adorable soul-devouring undead balloon at the Valley Windworks.
Thanks for the reminder!

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on May 04, 2007, 02:44:22 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 04, 2007, 02:19:50 PM

Thanks for the reminder!
I named it Sharpton.

Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »

UPDATE:

Still chugging along here. I am up to 7 badges and heading out to get my 8th. Still need to level my team up a bit..the highest is lvl 43, but the rest are 35 and lower.

On a side note, I find I am getting tied up in the minutae...example: growing berries. I'd say I spend about 30 mins a day just farming those damn berries frown I think I will have to harvest all the ones that are ripe, then let the rest die...game time is scarce as is smile

Wonderpug, I saw you had houndours (sp?) bred on the Qt3 thread...just wondering if you could whip one up for me smile I don't really have much to trade, but let me know if you need anything! Thanks!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »

Sure thing, I was going to make up a batch on my lunch break.  I'm also doing a batch of Turtwigs, Chimchars, and Misdreavus if anyone wants one, and I also have some extra Charmanders from an earlier trade.

This poor Ditto I'm using to breed all these is going to need counseling after this.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 09, 2007, 02:09:11 PM

Sure thing, I was going to make up a batch on my lunch break.  I'm also doing a batch of Turtwigs, Chimchars, and Misdreavus if anyone wants one, and I also have some extra Charmanders from an earlier trade.

This poor Ditto I'm using to breed all these is going to need counseling after this.

Oooh..me! me!  I need a chimchar and a penguin guy if you can make one as well.  I need to add you to my friends list and have you add me.  My code is in the Pokemon thread in Multiplayer.  I would love a charmander as well.  If I remember my Pokemon lore, ditto is a guy that can mimic other pokemon, but how do you use it to make other pokemon?  Also, how did you get it?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 09, 2007, 02:28:57 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 09, 2007, 02:09:11 PM

If I remember my Pokemon lore, ditto is a guy that can mimic other pokemon, but how do you use it to make other pokemon?  Also, how did you get it?

You take the Ditto and the other pokemon you want to breed and throw them into the daycare with a bottle of wine smile

Dittos are pokemon you can catch after you complete the sinnoh pokedex and get the national dex. If I am not mistaken there are 150 in the sinnoh dex. After you get the national dex, you get a poketch app called the Pokeradar or something like that. You can use that pokeradar to find wild dittos.

Wonderpug, I'll PM you when I get home after work to arrange a time? Thanks!!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »

When you breed two pokemon of different species, the egg takes on the species of the mother.  When you breed a pokemon (male or female) with a Ditto, the egg always becomes the species of the non-Ditto parent.  This way you don't have to worry about finding a compatible species or a female of the species you want, plus Ditto is the only way to breed genderless pokemon.

Sadly it's not really feasible for me to collect Dittos to give out.  Oddly there's no way to breed Dittos themselves as they won't mate with each other, so the only way to get one is with the radar thingie which is a bit of a pain.

Ah, the sordid life of a shapeshifter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: