http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:10:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official "ZOMG Hi2u Pokemans Trading!!1!" Thread (Plus Impressions)  (Read 10595 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »

I know Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl will have a big online trading system in place, but I'm hoping that trading with people here on the forum will reduce the odds of receiving pokemon with names like "Scrotum" or ";0("

I'll be getting Pearl, so if anybody wants to let me know what sort of Pearl-specific pokemon they'd like to trade for, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them and pass them your way!  I'd love to receive some Diamond-specific guys in exchange, and the lower level they are, the better!  (I prefer raising them myself -- a Level 25 pokemon raised from birth tends to have much better stats than a Level 25 one found in the wild.

Also, bring on the impressions!  icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:31:05 PM »

I would also keep an eye on this thread for Pokemon Friend codes in the Multiplayer forum. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »

I can't believe how much I want this game.
And that I'm admitting it in public.

PSN ID: EduardoX
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:30:37 AM »

Circuit City has both versions on sale for $27.99 starting 4/22.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »

I'll be looking for trades too! icon_biggrin

For that matter, I'll probably be looking for some Japan & USA home-region guys in Forza 2 for trading as well when that comes out. My other "Pokemon" addiction. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »

I have yet to see any reviews. Is this supposed to be good for an adult with no Pokeman experience?
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 21, 2007, 04:18:18 PM

I have yet to see any reviews. Is this supposed to be good for an adult with no Pokeman experience?
I can't imagine it is going to be any different than the other Pokemon titles, in that you play a little kid roaming around collecting Pokemon. I'm sure it will get good reviews, but I don't know if you'll like it.... It's easy to pick up, but... do you like leveling up tons of different characters at once? That's basically all it is.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 21, 2007, 04:18:18 PM

IGN has a review up.  They gave it an 8.5 (with a reader average of 9.2!!  ...despite the fact that it isn't out yet.  Roll Eyes

On second look, I see Metacritic has a few other reviews up, too.  Average of 83 right now. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 06:19:31 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 12:19:48 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 21, 2007, 04:55:01 PM

do you like leveling up tons of different characters at once? That's basically all it is.

While that's the core of the game, one thing they've done with each new iteration that really helps make the game a lot more fun is provide more and more mini-game/exploration content. But yes, the core of the game does boil down to a level grind, much like many other rpg's that aren't story-focused (and even many that are).

Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:46:05 AM »

I'm pretty interested in this game. What are the differences between the Diamond Version and the Pearl Version? Thanks!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »

I just picked up mine this morning at Gamestop.  They opened an hour earlier for this!  I got both Pearl & Diamond.  My son chose Diamond, so I have Pearl.  I also got the strategy guide.  I will be looking to trade with you guys as well.  My son is playing right now and has already caught several.  We have to figure out how the trading works over the Internet because I definitely want to do this.  I will get my game started this evening.

Gotta catch them all!!!  icon_biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 22, 2007, 12:19:48 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 21, 2007, 04:55:01 PM

do you like leveling up tons of different characters at once? That's basically all it is.

While that's the core of the game, one thing they've done with each new iteration that really helps make the game a lot more fun is provide more and more mini-game/exploration content. But yes, the core of the game does boil down to a level grind, much like many other rpg's that aren't story-focused (and even many that are).
Don't get me wrong, I like the games.
Also, I'll post my friend code soon. I went with the "underdog" Pearl, as it seemed people were less interested in it. I've got a beaver and a bird. Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh.

Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »

man, they didn't have any Pearls left at my gamestop. I got the diamond smile
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »

Looking to buy 2 copies of this today.  One for son and one for me.  Confused by versions?  Thinking about buying 2 diamonds.  What is the difference?  Will both versions work together on wifi?  Should I buy 2 diamonds or a diamond & pearl?  Main reason for 2 copies is the wifi battles with my son. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »

Quote from: algernon on April 22, 2007, 04:28:34 PM

Looking to buy 2 copies of this today.  One for son and one for me.  Confused by versions?  Thinking about buying 2 diamonds.  What is the difference?  Will both versions work together on wifi?  Should I buy 2 diamonds or a diamond & pearl?  Main reason for 2 copies is the wifi battles with my son. 
The only difference is about 10 pokemon that are unique to each.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 06:36:37 PM »

Should I buy 2 diamonds or a diamond & pearl?  Main reason for 2 copies is the wifi battles with my son.

You should *definitely* buy one Diamond and one Pearl.  The two versions are 100% compatible for wifi battles with your son, but since each version has a few exclusive Pokemon that the other does not, you'll be able to trade them between the two versions.

Buying two copies of Diamond will still allow you to battle and trade with your son, but you'll wind up missing on some content (admittedly a pretty small percentage) and gain nothing in exchange.  Get one of each.

-Autistic Angel
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »

Anyone able to comment on whether a five-year-old would be able to play this? Too hard?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on April 22, 2007, 09:42:00 PM

Anyone able to comment on whether a five-year-old would be able to play this? Too hard?

There's too much reading in it for a 5 year old IMHO. I've had 2 sons play the Pokemon series and now a daughter that's 7. My daughter has only been able to really enjoy the game this year and she's a fairly advanced reader for her age. That being said my oldest son was able to enjoy the GBC versions at age 5, but he was an extremely advanced reader for his age group.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »

What starting Pokemon did everyone choose?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 02:47:23 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 23, 2007, 02:41:02 AM

What starting Pokemon did everyone choose?
Monkey named Mojo.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »

Piplup or whatever it is called Tongue

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 04:43:22 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 22, 2007, 10:11:38 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on April 22, 2007, 09:42:00 PM

There's too much reading in it for a 5 year old IMHO. I've had 2 sons play the Pokemon series and now a daughter that's 7. My daughter has only been able to really enjoy the game this year and she's a fairly advanced reader for her age. That being said my oldest son was able to enjoy the GBC versions at age 5, but he was an extremely advanced reader for his age group.

Yup. I went ahead and bought the Diamond version this afternoon just because I've always felt that as a gamer I should give one of these a try. If my son could play it, too, I figured it would be a bonus.

But you're right, there was definitely too much reading for the typical 5-year-old. My son is 5 years/4 months and he was pretty lost. I was reading stuff to him, but even then there is a lot of material to absorb. The text/play ratio is pretty high in the beginning.

Thanks though, for the answer.

And I grabbed Piplup for my starter Pokemon too.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »

Just an FYI for anyone that's interested, there's a new pokedex coming out next month.
It contains all the stats on 490 different pokemon.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 11:45:16 AM »

Picked Piplup too. Is there any way to get the other 2 at some point in the game?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »

Quote from: Magik on April 23, 2007, 11:45:16 AM

Picked Piplup too. Is there any way to get the other 2 at some point in the game?

Yes there is.  First, you have to breed your starting Pokemon with a Ditto Pokemon and the result will be the first evolutionary form of the starter Pokemon.  Then you can trade that with others.

I picked up Piplup as well because his final evolutionary form just looks so darn cool.  I'm talking ass kicking penguin cool!

XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 23, 2007, 12:13:59 PM

Quote from: Magik on April 23, 2007, 11:45:16 AM

Yes there is.  First, you have to breed your starting Pokemon with a Ditto Pokemon and the result will be the first evolutionary form of the starter Pokemon.  Then you can trade that with others.
If you happen to have a female starter, you can breed it even earlier.  The male doesn't have to be the same species, it just has to be the same family (needs to look similar, more or less.)

I went with the turtle, and he says he seems to be eager to start siring babies to trade away for our entertainment.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »

Awesome news on the starter breeding! I didn't know about that.

I picked Piplup because, well, it's a freaking penguin. Penguins are little tuxedo-mimicking bowling pins of whupass. Just ask Wallace & Gromit. icon_wink

Put in about three hours, really digging it. It's more of the same, but in the best sense of that!

Have you guys read about the Sinnoh Underground stuff that comes in later on the wireless? Awesome!

Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 23, 2007, 01:24:08 PM

Awesome news on the starter breeding! I didn't know about that.

I picked Piplup because, well, it's a freaking penguin. Penguins are little tuxedo-mimicking bowling pins of whupass. Just ask Wallace & Gromit. icon_wink

Put in about three hours, really digging it. It's more of the same, but in the best sense of that!

Have you guys read about the Sinnoh Underground stuff that comes in later on the wireless? Awesome!

Thank you for the breeding info! I have a female piplup (named Nyx smile ) I'm going to have to find a male penguin for her to mate with. Is that wireless stuff a downloaded patch or somehting? How do we get that?

Thanks!

Loving this game!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »

The underground is already in the game, I think he just meant you play it online via wireless.

In the underground you can design secret bases for the "flag retrieval" mini-game, where you play some kind of capture the flag game online where you can lay out traps to try and stop your friend.  The more flags you get online, the more you can do with your secret base (or something like that, more flags at least lets you clear out more rocks.)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 01:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Magik on April 23, 2007, 01:30:41 PM

I have a female piplup (named Nyx smile ) I'm going to have to find a male penguin for her to mate with.

The pokemon are really into the whole free love concept, and don't limit themselves to same-species romance.  Your penguin just needs to mate within it's "egg" group, which seems to be either "water 1" type, I guess 2-legged water creatures, or "ground" type.  Your penguin is pretty open minded.  Since she's the female, any mating you choose will result in a piplup egg.
Magik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »

Ahh! Ok, I misunderstood.

So what kinds of starting teams has everyone amassed?

I am 2:15 hours in and my team so far is:

Piplup
Starly
Shinx
Geodude

Pretty boring so far since they are just the random pokemon hanging around. From what I read Starly evoles into a powerhouse. Can't wait! I'm on the fence with Shinx and Geodude. I just may shelve them once I find something cooler.

Do you guys tend to pokeball every single new pokemon type you find? I find I'm being stingy with the creds so I don't buy too many pokeballs smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

How's piplup doing in the schools?  I heard the first school is great, but the next one is a royal pain.

Has anyone tried the char?

I'm not really going  to get to play until a little later today or maybe tomorrow, and this decision is always more agonizing than it should be for me, for some reason.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Magik
I am 2:15 hours in and my team so far is:

Piplup
Starly
Shinx
Geodude

Pretty boring so far since they are just the random pokemon hanging around. From what I read Starly evoles into a powerhouse. Can't wait! I'm on the fence with Shinx and Geodude. I just may shelve them once I find something cooler.

I actually put my Piplup into storage for now; I want to plan which ones to fight it against later to develop it's EV's properly. icon_biggrin

So far my team is just the ones I've captured:

Starly
Shinx
the little woodchuck guy
the cricket-looking thing
Zubat

I love Geodudes, I'll plunk one into my team once I've captured one! The Shinx is my favorite so far; I just dig the design on it, and it's pretty effective. Starly's working quite well too. I'm not so sure on how the cricket's going to work out, and I'm hoping to convert the woodchuck into my portable HM carrier as time goes on (I did that with one of the normal types in Sapphire).

Quote from: Magik
Do you guys tend to pokeball every single new pokemon type you find? I find I'm being stingy with the creds so I don't buy too many pokeballs smile

I'm not stingy with the credits early on since capturing a nice roster is my personal priority to get started in the game. I try to capture each species I run across. Pokemon fits well with my personal moderate obsessive collective disorder. icon_wink

depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »

I am a total Pokemon newb: never played a game before (well, aside from Pokemon Snap), the only Pokemon I know is Pickachu, and yeah, that's about it.

I picked up the Diamond version yesterday and played it for about three hours.  It's an addictive little sucker.

That being said, I'm not looking on anything extra - no Gamefaqs, no "evolution charts", no "what Pokemon are best", etc.  I'm going in blind.  I hope that, going through the game this way, I don't just kill my chances at being competitive for online battles & otherwise.  But eh, we'll see.

Things I like about the game thus far:

+I like being able to name my Pokemon.  Birdyface, Scratch, Blackie, Monkeydoo... I love being able to name my Pokemon and laugh whenever it says, "Go Monkeydoo!"
+There seems to be a nice deal of complexity when it comes to elements & moves for the Pokemon
+Real-time Poketch is neat
+Robust online mode looks like fun - trading battling, etc.

Some things I'm sorta leary about:
-Real-time Poketch - I only really play during the morning / evening due to, yes, having a job.  What about the Pokemon that appear during the day!?  I don't necessarily want to change my internal DS clock just because... well, I never did it for Animal Crossing.  So yeah.
-I'm guessing this game doesn't have much of a story... but I dunno

Really have enjoyed it thus far, being as how it's my first Pokemon game.  Looking forward to trading my crappy Pokemon for all of your REALLY good ones   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »

Quote from: depward
I'm not looking on anything extra - no Gamefaqs, no "evolution charts", no "what Pokemon are best", etc.  I'm going in blind.  I hope that, going through the game this way, I don't just kill my chances at being competitive for online battles & otherwise.  But eh, we'll see.

If you wind up playing the really hardcore players in your random online matches, you'll get schooled. So will I, and I would bet, most of us GT'ers. icon_wink I'll elaborate on that in a moment. Otherwise, yes, play with this attitude and you'll get a TON of fun out of the game(s)! icon_biggrin After a while, though, when you start putting together teams to play against us or to play the Battle Tower and the like, you'll want to pick up a decent pokedex-type guide to see what moves are available/teachable to which species, plus their general stat tendencies, as that'll help you put together the kind of team you want.

Kinda like learning unit/building capabilities and such in a game like Civilization, though that's obviously a very loose analogy.

Quote from: Depward
Things I like about the game thus far:

+I like being able to name my Pokemon.  Birdyface, Scratch, Blackie, Monkeydoo... I love being able to name my Pokemon and laugh whenever it says, "Go Monkeydoo!"
+There seems to be a nice deal of complexity when it comes to elements & moves for the Pokemon
+Real-time Poketch is neat
+Robust online mode looks like fun - trading battling, etc.

More than anything, I'm impressed by not only how much depth the core development/battling aspect of the games actually have, but also by the variety of gameplay elements they keep adding with each new iteration. I put 100 hours into Sapphire and STILL didn't see or do everything.

Quote from: Depward
-Real-time Poketch - I only really play during the morning / evening due to, yes, having a job.  What about the Pokemon that appear during the day!?  I don't necessarily want to change my internal DS clock just because... well, I never did it for Animal Crossing.  So yeah.
-I'm guessing this game doesn't have much of a story... but I dunno

Not much of a story, no; they've always been pretty shallow in this area, but I don't mind. As for the time concerns, I have the same concern; most of my playtime will be in the evening, with some morning/daytime on the weekends. This would bother me more if it weren't for the fact that you'll be able to trade not only with us, but in the global trade center too. I expect that filling out the pokedex will be a little more approachable due to this than it would be otherwise.

I don't plan to change my DS clock for this title either, but I had to resort to that occasionally in Animal Crossing to be able to do daytime stuff in the game (I rarely got to put in time on it before sundown).

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »

Oh, right; I forgot! As to the concern about using the "right" or "best" pokemon, sure, there are some that are superior to most others, but I prefer trying to use an eclectic variety. I like to try to use ones that are less popular, just for the fun of it! Or a theme team, or something else like that.

Sure, I have my personal favorites, mostly due to how they look and/or play, but for the most part I just like to try lots of different ones.

So far I think Shinx is going to be a permanent fixture in my party; the evolutions look cool too, and I really dig the little guy. I named it "Sparky". I named my Starly "Beaker". I love coming up with either pun names or names that seem to fit their personality. icon_wink

depward

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 23, 2007, 04:39:52 PM

Oh, right; I forgot! As to the concern about using the "right" or "best" pokemon, sure, there are some that are superior to most others, but I prefer trying to use an eclectic variety. I like to try to use ones that are less popular, just for the fun of it! Or a theme team, or something else like that.

Sure, I have my personal favorites, mostly due to how they look and/or play, but for the most part I just like to try lots of different ones.

So far I think Shinx is going to be a permanent fixture in my party; the evolutions look cool too, and I really dig the little guy. I named it "Sparky". I named my Starly "Beaker". I love coming up with either pun names or names that seem to fit their personality. icon_wink
Love my Shinx as well, though I don't find it particularly powerful as of yet.  Still leveling the dude though.  Its name is Graybeans - Gray is the name of my girlfriend's cat & I call it Graybeans.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Quote from: depward on April 23, 2007, 04:27:07 PM

That being said, I'm not looking on anything extra - no Gamefaqs, no "evolution charts", no "what Pokemon are best", etc.  I'm going in blind.  I hope that, going through the game this way, I don't just kill my chances at being competitive for online battles & otherwise.  But eh, we'll see.

You'll be just fine going in blind.  If you want to have some kind of uber online team later on, you can always go back and breed one after you beat the game.  Most of the real min/maxxing doesn't start till then anyways.

There's only a couple things I can think of that you could hurt yourself by going in without any idea how to play.  One, the TM moves you get can only be used once, so if you want one for someone specific later on you're out of luck if you've already used it.  (Although if it's on a male pokemon I think he can pass on the skill through breeding.)  And second, there's a handful of "legendary" pokemon that you'll only have one opportunity to capture.  These won't appear till the end-game, and they should be pretty obvious when you come across them.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 23, 2007, 05:03:56 PM

You'll be just fine going in blind.  If you want to have some kind of uber online team later on, you can always go back and breed one after you beat the game.  Most of the real min/maxxing doesn't start till then anyways.

There's only a couple things I can think of that you could hurt yourself by going in without any idea how to play.  One, the TM moves you get can only be used once, so if you want one for someone specific later on you're out of luck if you've already used it.  (Although if it's on a male pokemon I think he can pass on the skill through breeding.)  And second, there's a handful of "legendary" pokemon that you'll only have one opportunity to capture.  These won't appear till the end-game, and they should be pretty obvious when you come across them.
Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 05:46:02 PM »

Have you not mastered the artful technique of hiding your DS on your desk at work???  Since I have the white DS Lite, I just put it next to a white binder with a bunch of papers around and play!  Of course, sound is off.  Someone walks in and you just slip a paper over the DS.  Now, if you have the Onyx or Pink one your in trouble.  icon_wink

I just got started in the game.  I'm a manual reader so I had to finish reading the manual first.  I'm like Farscry in that I like to give them off the cuff nick names.  I know that the first Geodude I capture is going to be named PeteRock!!!  icon_lol

XM Channel 76
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: