http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 03:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The next 'Hot Coffee' - Manhunt 2  (Read 775 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »

Yeah, that's right - the next 'Hot Coffee' 'incident' has been revealed, and it's in your copy of Manhunt 2 (only on the PSP for now):

Wanna play Manhunt 2 the ways it's supposed to be played? Simple, just delete the "replace original file" scripts in the game code. A group of hackers allege to have done just that, altering the PSP game file and 'unlocking' the otherwise filtered gore. It's not quite on the scale of Hot Coffee -- remember kids, explicit sex is much worse than gratuitous violence -- but this latest scandal (call it "Hot Pliers") could become just as overblown, despite the hack being currently limited to the portable version of Manhunt and requiring a homebrew-enabled PSP, along with some basic ISO manipulation. Quick! Hide your PSPs before the grownups burn them!

While I wasn't interested in the game at all (the ultra-violence of the series never was my 'thing'), I might have to poke around just to see how violent the game truly was before the ESRB gave the devs the banhammer.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »

And I'm sure this 'incident' has nothing to do with Rockstar publicity-whoring for their new game.  This act is tired. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2007, 02:03:16 PM

While I wasn't interested in the game at all (the ultra-violence of the series never was my 'thing'), I might have to poke around just to see how violent the game truly was before the ESRB gave the devs the banhammer.

There is a ten minute video floating around that shows off the uncensored violence.  If you want I can see if I can dig up the link.

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2007, 02:08:55 PM

And I'm sure this 'incident' has nothing to do with Rockstar publicity-whoring for their new game.  This act is tired. 

I would genuinely be shocked if it was intentional.  Hot Coffee hurt GTA far more than it helped and cost Take 2 a lot of money.  If Rockstar was stupid enough to let Manhunt 2 be "uncensored" so easily then I would chalk it up more to incompetence and/or rushing to make a new ship date. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »

Maybe it's just because I'm not a fan of Rockstar in general (that's a whole 'nother discussion), but I find it odd that they're the only devs that run into this sort of 'problem'.   

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2007, 02:17:45 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm not a fan of Rockstar in general (that's a whole 'nother discussion), but I find it odd that they're the only devs that run into this sort of 'problem'.   

Oh no doubt they push things as far as they can (to the detriment of the entire industry at times IMO).  But eventually extra PR and notoriety aren't worth the expense of doing large recalls, repressing new discs, being subject to fines and lawsuits, etc.  Plus, they might reach a point where the retailers don't even want to carry their products.  BB isn't going to turn down a GTA game, but they might tell Rockstar to screw off for Manhunt 3. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »

Is anyone even planning on buying this game? 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »

The 10 minute video was posted on GAF.  Maybe it was the fact that there was no context for the violence and there was no music or anything going on to make it seem dramatic, but that was probably the first time I looked at a video game and thought that the violence was inappropriate.  It's just one guy doing absolutely brutal things to another guy (well, lots of other guys, just one per scene) using pretty common objects like knives, shovels, crowbars and circular saws.

But there really isn't a lot of context, is there?  Isn't the object of the game basically to just sneak up on people and kill them?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:52:34 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2007, 02:24:09 PM

I may get the Wii version eventually, but right now there are too many other games coming out that are above it on my list.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 03:00:50 PM »

Word on the street is that the 'change' is a whopping 5 lines of text editing in a total of 2 files. Basically something that can be EASILY done if you have a way to extract the ISO, edit said files, and rebuild the ISO.

And after a few minutes of looking around, yes, I found the 'uncensored' version being advertised for downloading. Frankly doesn't surprise me at all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

Based on all the mainstream media attention this title has received I have a feeling we will be appalled at how well it sells.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2007, 02:24:09 PM

I didn't even realize it was out until I saw a review at gamespot, haha. this game is going to tank bad.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 01, 2007, 06:56:03 PM

Based on all the mainstream media attention this title has received I have a feeling we will be appalled at how well it sells.

I'm leaning toward bomb myself.  Maybe during a slow month but the market is too crowded right now. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:40:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2007, 07:02:52 PM

Quote from: JCC on November 01, 2007, 06:56:03 PM

I'm leaning toward bomb myself.  Maybe during a slow month but the market is too crowded right now. 

that's what I'm thinking.  I'm kind of surprised they didn't delay it until early next year, but then again I don't remember the first having much fanfare at release either.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2007, 02:03:16 PM

Yeah, that's right - the next 'Hot Coffee' 'incident' has been revealed, and it's in your copy of Manhunt 2 (only on the PSP for now):

Wanna play Manhunt 2 the ways it's supposed to be played? Simple, just delete the "replace original file" scripts in the game code. A group of hackers allege to have done just that, altering the PSP game file and 'unlocking' the otherwise filtered gore. It's not quite on the scale of Hot Coffee -- remember kids, explicit sex is much worse than gratuitous violence -- but this latest scandal (call it "Hot Pliers") could become just as overblown, despite the hack being currently limited to the portable version of Manhunt and requiring a homebrew-enabled PSP, along with some basic ISO manipulation. Quick! Hide your PSPs before the grownups burn them!

Just go to where I sent you.. Please do not go poking around that board you might get shot.
The ManHunt2 before the sensors.
http://allhiphop.com/forums/thread/18797903.aspx

FYI its not the tone down version as stated..

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: