http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:08:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Gametap - free option and new games  (Read 3527 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »

According to BluesNews, Gametap will be offering an advertising-supported free version of their service starting May 31.  They'll be starting with 30 games, with more added each week.  They will also offer games for sale, and have Tomb Raider : Anniversary on release day.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:15:57 PM »

That's very interesting. Free to play games that is not puzzle/simple games. Wonder how the advertising support works.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:50:24 AM »

With them getting the new TR game immediately, and stuff like the Sam & Max series Gametap is turning into a pretty impressive service.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:38:54 AM »

They'll also have the previous Tomb Raider, Legend, available on their free service  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:52:01 PM »

Hopefully this won't kill their bandwidth. Maybe they'll have seperate servers for the free stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:41 PM »

I really enjoy the Gametap service.  I signed up on a whim for the $.99 first month deal and have become quite accustomed to using the service.  There are enough games that I haven't played that always make the experience feel fresh.  It's nice to take a break at work and fire up some arcade classics.  While I am aware of all of the emulators available, it's nice not having to try to find ROMs and etc.  I highly suggest giving it a go.  Worst case scenario, you are out $.99.  While you do have to call to cancel, it's simple.  Give it a shot!

omgz
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »

I really like Gametap as well.  My $40 1-year subscription has been one of my better gaming investments.  Hell, it's worth it just for the Sam & Max games alone.  smile

They'll occasionally go through some dry spells, but there's usually at least 1-2 new games I week that end up playing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »

I'm eventually going to take 6 months off from buying new games and just work my way through some of the catalog of games Gametap has.  It's really a pretty awesome selection.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 03:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2007, 03:54:35 PM

I really like Gametap as well.  My $40 1-year subscription has been one of my better gaming investments.  Hell, it's worth it just for the Sam & Max games alone.  smile

They'll occasionally go through some dry spells, but there's usually at least 1-2 new games I week that end up playing.

Just curious. Where did you get a $40.00 1 year subscription. For that price, I think I would try it out. Heck that is less than the cost of one new game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on May 05, 2007, 03:28:33 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2007, 03:54:35 PM

Just curious. Where did you get a $40.00 1 year subscription. For that price, I think I would try it out. Heck that is less than the cost of one new game.

Sorry, it was $60, not $40.  Back in October, they did a 50% off special which came out to be $5 a month.  It was a complete no-brainer at that price, and I'll definitely re-up again next year.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »

I'll have to keep an eye out for a repeat of this. That price is a great deal.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 01:18:10 AM »

Quote from: warning on May 04, 2007, 04:53:07 PM

I'm eventually going to take 6 months off from buying new games and just work my way through some of the catalog of games Gametap has.  It's really a pretty awesome selection.

Doing that right now myself.. No game purchases planned until fall.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »

Don't know if it means anything Gametap wise, but their former VP of Marketing David Reid has joined NCSoft as vice president of marketing:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comics&Number=10662342&bodyprev=#Post10662342

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:22 AM »

Gametap now has a deal with THQ to bring their games to the service.  Included are Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K (presumably Dawn of War), Red Faction, Supreme Commander, Titan Quest, Saints Row 2, Puzzle Quest, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:34:23 AM »

Also, they're currently offering $59.95/year again... and $0.99 for 1 month. Is it possible to buy in on the 1 month plan and then swap over to the yearly plan if you like it?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 02:00:01 AM »

I think the $60 per year is standard. I'm paying $59.40 per year and this is the second year in a row doing so. Best value ever.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 02:38:28 AM »

Fallout gets added this week, doesn't it?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 04:17:22 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 23, 2008, 01:13:22 AM

Gametap now has a deal with THQ to bring their games to the service.  Included are Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K (presumably Dawn of War), Red Faction, Supreme Commander, Titan Quest, Saints Row 2, Puzzle Quest, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Their much hyped Codemasters and Eidos deals seem to have fallen apart.  They were supposedly going to have new Codemaster games available the same day they were released, yet the only one two I was interested in, Turning Point and Kane & Lynch, haven't made it onto the service yet.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 05:04:49 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on July 23, 2008, 01:34:23 AM

Also, they're currently offering $59.95/year again... and $0.99 for 1 month. Is it possible to buy in on the 1 month plan and then swap over to the yearly plan if you like it?

The .99 option automatically turns into the $9.95/month plan after the first month, so you'd probably have to pay $9.95 for one month before switching over, if it's possible to do so.

Quote from: Shkspr
Fallout gets added this week, doesn't it?
It's supposed to.

Quote from: CeeKay
Their much hyped Codemasters and Eidos deals seem to have fallen apart.  They were supposedly going to have new Codemaster games available the same day they were released, yet the only one two I was interested in, Turning Point and Kane & Lynch, haven't made it onto the service yet.
I don't think it has anything to do with the deals, but rather trying to get the games to work with the service.  Several games that were supposed to have already launched have been delayed because they haven't been able to iron out all the problems with getting them to work, including TP and K&L, Culpa Innata, and some others.  Kane & Lynch is supposed to be out this month, though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:06:45 AM by EddieA » Logged

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

Does it still not support Vista X64?
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »

Does the service have many problems with Vista32?

As I read through it I ddin't realize you could have sub accounts for the family that seems to make it a really good deal
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »

No problems with Vista 32. Dunno about 64.

But yeah you can create accounts for your family members and they have access to everything on the service same as you. It doesn't cost extra or have restrictions placed on them short of being able to activate parental locks on content. Any multiplayer games will also work on sub accounts. We don't play too many of those but we gave a few a try at the beginning, like Altered Beast, and they run fine with the two of us playing together on separate computers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »

well, I re-subbed using the .99 cent for one month option.  I'm having a wisdom tooth pulled on Thursday, and I figure it'll be a good way to kill time while I recover.  I found out that I need to turn off my AV when I try and play stuff, as it keeps on blocking GT and I cannot find any options to stop it from doing so.

I grabbed Fallout, and actually made it past the Radscorpion caves this time, but I forgot about the time limit and probably wasted too may days futzing around.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: