http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:40:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new consoles of E3  (Read 935 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2004, 08:39:08 PM »

So, here's a fun topic - what do you think of all the new consoles making their debut here at this year's E3? To my knowledge, we have the following (with PR pieces linked where available, and in whatever order I think up this list):

1) The Nintendo DS
2) The Sony PSP
3) Nokia N-Gage QD
4) The DISCover and ApeXtreme consoles?
5) The Infinium Phantom?

So, what do you all think of these upcoming consoles? Will the public accept all these options? Will there be any games on them? Or will they simply cease to exist and vanish away in a ghostly puff of vaporware?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 08:55:11 PM »

Personally, I don't think any of the new consoles will do well.  I believe the sequels to the established consoles (Xbox, PS2, and nintendo) will do well (well maybe not so well for nintendo)

I think there's too many consoles out right now, and by adding more will dilute the market.  I don't see these new consoles bringing in enough customers to make a profit.  It would really have to be better than the established.  If they offer similar features, they really don't have much of a chance.

I think there's room for at least 1 more hand held console.  I think there's room to improve and having more features than what the GBA gave us.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 03:30:17 AM »

Unless its over priced or under powered, the public will accept the Sony PSP. I'm also kind of hoping we'll see the Nintendo DS catering to a more major game player.

Really though, I'm expecting big console annoucements. Ofcourse if the Xbox 2 isn't at E3, that will be a big let down.

I would like to think there will be atleast one. NEC developed one. Made a big deal about it. Maybe Nintendo or Sega or both will annouce it or their own systems.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 04:34:24 AM »

And my thoughts:

1) The Nintendo DS will turn many heads, but nobody will truly know what to make of it. Developers will sign up (as already stated), but just because Nintendo is #1 in the handheld business. Will it turn into another Virtual Boy though? A good question.

2) Current knowledge (just based on tech costs) place the Sony PSP at a very high purchase cost. Developers will be wary to join, as they don't know how many will be sold. However, this is Sony we're talking about here. The #1 leader in console sales.

3) I'm actually impressed with the redesign of the N-Gage QD. Not only does it not look like a steel taco, but it looks like they've taken all the complaints of the original and fixed them. Will I ever buy one? Between my GBA and my Tungesten T3, I don't need another portable gaming device. Nor do I really need a cell phone that can be a gaming console.

4) The DISCover and ApeXtreme consoles are nothing but glorified PCs in a box. Will they do well? Other companies have sold PCs in a box rather well (Gateway, Dell, etc), but this is the other extreme - Gaming PCs in a box, designed to play PC games on your home TV. I'm not quite sure how well they'll do.

5) It's still my opinion based on the complete and utter lack of any mention of the Phantom and of any companies working on the Phantom (as they're all announcing DS and PSP support) that the console will make the same appearance as Duke Nukem Forever. IE: None. I won't eat my hat if it is there, but I'll be rather surprised.

Thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 03:21:13 AM »

I think the PSP will do well initially. It's Sony after all, and if sales lag they have pretty deep pockets and could probably drop the price if necessary.  Nintendo will probably always rule in the handheld market (DS or no DS), so I guess it comes down to Sony's force of will as to whether they will survive in that sector.

Despite the improvements that Nokia has made to the N-Gage, it still strikes me as the answer to a question that no-one has really asked.

The DISCover and ApeXtreme consoles intrigue me, but I just can't see them making it. They will have to cost more than a "regular" console, and they can't really make up any losses on software. And you will need broadband (near your TV) and you'll be playing PC games on that TV with the corresponding lack of resolution (for most people). And then there's the control issues. Wireless keyboards & mice have come a long way, but will you want that in your living/family rooms? Will they be able to modify the control schemes for PC type games to work with console-like controllers? It just seems to me like there are so many ways these boxes could fail, and that their potential audience is too niche-y. Who knows? They could very well know something I don't.

Phantom? Even if they have a product to ship at some point, and even if it worked as advertised (two very big "ifs" IMO), they would have a lot of the same problems as the DISCover and ApeXtreme consoles. With the added stigma of their bad publicity to date. DIW.

No matter what, should be an interesting E3.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 01:34:58 PM »

Despite the improvements that Nokia has made to the N-Gage, it still strikes me as the answer to a question that no-one has really asked.

I hate to sound sour, but no matter what Nokia does for the N-Gage, I don't think it's possible to even salvage the concept. Way too many gamers have become sour to the mere concept of the N-Gage, including myself.

The only way I'd own one of these, even the new one, is if they gave it to me.

I think the PSP will do well initially. It's Sony after all, and if sales lag they have pretty deep pockets and could probably drop the price if necessary. Nintendo will probably always rule in the handheld market (DS or no DS), so I guess it comes down to Sony's force of will as to whether they will survive in that sector.

Price is a huge factor in the handheld market. As long as the GBA stays cheap, the PSP has a huge uphill battle to be fought. Parents like the GBA because it's a good, durable, low cost gift for their kids. The games are almost all safe for kids too. (Is there any M rated GBA games?)

A more adult handheld, which is what I see the PSP as being, will merely divide the handheld market into two separate entities - one for adults, and one for children.

By all means am I not saying that the GBA is exclusively for kids, but what I mean is that the primary target audience is the younger crowd.

As far as the DS goes - it's too early to tell, and I don't even know the price point of it, but it seems to be too gimmicky to be anything more than a novelty act. I hope I'm wrong.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37:59 PM »

I think the ability for the DS to play GBA games is a big benifit.  I don't think I am sold on the dual screen aspect, but the backwards compatibility feature kept me from writing it off entirely.  If two screens were that great we would all be running two monitors.  The stylus, no thanks.  Gimmick!!!

The PSP is a sweet looking piece of gear.  Wheter I am looking to drop $250-300 is another question.  Particularly with a new media format to look forward to.  I am still interested in seeing more, though.  Sony is drooling at the prospect of selling me all my games, music, and movies all over again on their little propriatory discs.

I could care less about the nGage.  If I had a regular cell phone that could play those games I would take notice.  I'm not buying a giant phone to play games on.  That's what the GBA is for.  I like a small cell phone that I carry in my pocket and don't notice.

The DISCover and Ape?  Not at all interested.  Why should I be, I have a PC.

Phantom.  I don't like subscriptions and not owning the physical product (games).  As it is, buy it cheap for parts.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:04:46 PM »

For some reason, I keep thinking Sony is going to shock everyone on the price of the PSP.  Whether they do it to lure developers, rapidly build a base or compete with the DS, I think they're going under $200 even at a good loss.  I wouldn't be shocked at $150.

Of course, I also predicted that Sony would drop the PS2 to $129 at E3 just to try to stick it to MS. :oops:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 10:47:43 PM »

1) The Nintendo DS
2) The Sony PSP
3) Nokia N-Gage QD
4) The DISCover and ApeXtreme consoles?
5) The Infinium Phantom?

I'll play along before class:

1.) Unless there is another use for that second screen other than RPGs, it better cost the same as a GBASP to survive.  

2.) Sony has their entire library to draw on including movies, music, and more.  Having seen (and touched) this thing, I can tell you that it will be hard to keep that #1 hat for Nintendo as this appears to be (finally!!) an "Adult's handheld"

3.) The QD?  Well, for those who don't own a phone and don't want the alternatives it might work, but I don't expect a commercial grand slam from this hardware iteration.  It'll do better than the original, but marginally.

4.) ApeXtreme - Despite the lame name (everything with Xtreme in the name fails) it actually works.  I couldn't believe my eyes...its gonna MSRP for around 4-500 bucks, supports DVR (free mind you, with support from Nvidia) and plays PC games nicely at a good resolution in my front room?  My wife will be thrilled as I won't be 'hibernating' in my office and we can play games like CSI and Longest Journey together on the comfy-couch.

5.) I'll leave this spot blank as that is my impression.  They had nothing to show as they 'couldn't get broadband in their area'.  Hmmm...I had no trouble getting a wireless connection.  I wonder if I offered them my wireless bridge, would I have gotten the demo they promised?  On top of that, its 50.00 more than any console and requires a 30.00 fee.  Uh...the Apex costs more but doesn't have that revolving cost and supports more.  Buhbye Phantom, I'm sure you'll stock-split another 10 times before this is over.

Again, just my impressions and opinions. smile  They don't reflect the site and such. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 02:10:17 AM »

1.) Unless there is another use for that second screen other than RPGs, it better cost the same as a GBASP to survive.

I don't know how you can go to E3 and not be impressed by the DS.

Worst case: If there is no creative uses of the second screen, it doesn't really hurt anything, does it?

2.) Sony has their entire library to draw on including movies, music, and more. Having seen (and touched) this thing, I can tell you that it will be hard to keep that #1 hat for Nintendo as this appears to be (finally!!) an "Adult's handheld"

I'll just ignore that "Adult" comment  :?  At the estimated price point Nintendo won't have any problem out pacing the PSP, and Sony doesn't have anything to "draw on" since its first party titles are few and it has little control over 3rd parties (especially since it now has ZERO market share, its only real selling point for both home consoles), I expect there will be good 3rd party at first, but I'll be surprised if PSP really takes off.

Further more the over-the-top cinematics that Square and others used to push the PS1/2 into popularity are now going to be crippled with the machine being tethered by battery life, a battery that will be drained by a moving disc media and large back-lit screen.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 02:56:25 AM »

We were told that the PSP will be crippled down to about 12 hours of constant gameplay before you have to recharge it. (Only about 3 hours for DVD play though)  

As for the DS, it won't hurt to have the second screen except the additional battery draw.  Of course, it also won't convince me to buy it either.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 04:39:30 AM »

We were told that the PSP will be crippled down to about 12 hours of constant gameplay before you have to recharge it. (Only about 3 hours for DVD play though)

Yeah, and the PS2 could push some ridiculous number of polygons too (upwards of 60 million if I remember correctly), of course, Sony failed to mention that those polygons were untextured, unlit, etc. Its a basic but effective tactic, tell a partial truth and it is good enough.

I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is Sony, as usual, has tested under the most ideal conditions and then reported those numbers.  I've never seen Sony's products as efficient and I find it hard to believe they've managed to overcome the drain of both the spinning disc drive and the large screen. Admittedly the disc drive doesn't have to be running non-stop but if the PS2 is any indication it will be doing plenty of spinning.

And if streaming game data for levels and what not doesn't do it,  FMV will definitely put the nail in the coffin (and then some). And I think it is no secret that many PS2 devs LOVE FMV.

At anyrate, battery life comes in second to price. And the price is ridiculous. If being adult means throwing money at overpriced electronics  then I don't want to grow up slywink In the off chance PSP ever drops below $200 dollars I'll re-think things. Assuming the library pans out better than I expect.

As for the DS, it won't hurt to have the second screen except the additional battery draw. Of course, it also won't convince me to buy it either.

Fair enough.  smile]

Anyway, I don't mean to sound inflammatory, I apologize if it seems that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: