http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 08:54:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NEW 8-bit Mega Man is here and its only $10 you reflex-atrophied pansies!  (Read 3015 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

And it's supposedly coming exclusively to WiiWare. [edit: also on XBL and PSN]

And yes, it really is going to have 8-bit sounds and graphics:

short gameplay video

I'm aching for more information on the game, but it seems to have just begun to slowly leak out.  From what I hear, though, it's going to have the look and feel of an 8-bit NES game, but it'll take advantage of modern hardware to do things with the game that wouldn't be possible with just NES horsepower.  That's awesome.

I've also heard that it's going to be wicked crazy hard, but I can't tell if they mean that in modern game difficulty standards or "puts hair on your chest" NES era difficulty standards.  Either way, I'll be there with bells on.  Unless I have to beat Bell-Man first.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:45:43 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:21:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2008, 07:28:44 PM

I'm aching for more information on the game, but it seems to have just begun to slowly leak out.  From what I hear, though, it's going to have the look and feel of an 8-bit NES game, but it'll take advantage of modern hardware to do things with the game that wouldn't be possible with just NES horsepower.  That's awesome.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not. I mean, yeah, you could have a NES quality game but with tons of sprites and no flicker, or you could upgrade just a little and go to SNES level with the same bonus. Who knows.

But I do remember the classic games, and yes, they were awesome. Metal Blade for the win! biggrin

I've also heard that it's going to be wicked crazy hard, but I can't tell if they mean that in modern game difficulty standards or "puts hair on your chest" NES era difficulty standards.  Either way, I'll be there with bells on.  Unless I have to beat Bell-Man first.

There's a substantial difference between old-school and current-school when it comes to 'really hard', so who knows what they mean. The old-school Mega Man games were hard, but there were far harder games on the system as well (Ninja Gaiden, only as a start). Nowadays, yeah, nothing compares (short of maybe Ninja Gaiden again, go figure).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 07, 2008, 08:21:42 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2008, 07:28:44 PM

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not. I mean, yeah, you could have a NES quality game but with tons of sprites and no flicker, or you could upgrade just a little and go to SNES level with the same bonus. Who knows.

I'm trying to think of all the NES-defying tricks they could do that wouldn't kill the 8-bit feel.  More moving sprites at once is a safe bet, but what else?  Was there a limit to the size of an individual moving sprite?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm not sure this is the right direction for them to go.  I think it's a cool idea, but I would prefer to see something along the lines of 3-D rendered characters and backgrounds in a sidescroller.  I really want to get behind this, but I'm having trouble doing so.

BTW, one of the limitations, if you remember, is that certain parts of the music would cut out when certain sounds played.  There's also the aforementioned sprite flicker, and limitations on sprite sizes.  I'll bet this team is dusting off all the things that Capcom WANTED to do during their NES heyday and never really could.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:37 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 07, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure this is the right direction for them to go.  I think it's a cool idea, but I would prefer to see something along the lines of 3-D rendered characters and backgrounds in a sidescroller.  I really want to get behind this, but I'm having trouble doing so.

BTW, one of the limitations, if you remember, is that certain parts of the music would cut out when certain sounds played.  There's also the aforementioned sprite flicker, and limitations on sprite sizes.  I'll bet this team is dusting off all the things that Capcom WANTED to do during their NES heyday and never really could.

I think you are right, since they aren't really sized limited they can expand the music, make better animations, add things like parralax scrolling and multiple layers to each level etc. I too would've liked to see this idea on more of a SNES type level, but I can get behind this. I think they could do more color wise but then it wouldn't be Mega Man if they did.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:30 AM »

They do have a new female villain, Splash-Woman, so they're probably using the extra processing power to create digital cleavage.  This just wasn't possible with 8-bit technology, which is why Samus had to appear in a suit  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:27:15 AM »

i would like to see a release on cartridge...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:15:22 AM »

1Up has a list of the XBLA version's achievements.

* Jitterbug -- Clear the game in 60 minutes or less (20 Achievement points)
    * Invincible -- Clear the game without dying (30 points)
    * Almost Invincible -- Clear the game without continuing (20 points)
    * No Coffee Break Clear the game without using any Energy or Mystery Tanks (10 points)
    * Peacekeeper -- Clear the game by defeating the fewest number of enemies possible (20 points)
    * Conservationist -- Clear the game by using the least amount of Weapon Energy possible (20 points)
    * Gamer's Day -- Clear the game five times in one day (20 points)
    * Whomp Wily! -- Clear the game once (5 points)
    * Destroyer -- Defeat your 1000th enemy (20 points)
    * World Warrior -- Defeat every type of enemy (5 points)
    * Trusty Sidearm -- Defeat the eight Bosses with the Mega Buster (20 points)
    * Blue Bomber -- Defeat a Boss without getting damaged (10 points)

icon_eek eek  crybaby

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 08, 2008, 01:52:37 AM

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 07, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

I think you are right, since they aren't really sized limited they can expand the music, make better animations, add things like parralax scrolling and multiple layers to each level etc. I too would've liked to see this idea on more of a SNES type level, but I can get behind this. I think they could do more color wise but then it wouldn't be Mega Man if they did.

i read that the dev team is limiting themselves to what was possible on the NES system. you will be able to toggle flicker and slowdown in the options menu.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

I can't believe I missed the info on this when it was announced somehow. icon_eek I'll be ALL OVER this. I don't know that I'll ever get any but maybe one of those achievements though. Those are hardcore. There's only a handful of games I ever mastered to that degree.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »

Oh my god, this is so freaking awesome.  Remember the absolutely horrible original Mega Man box art?  Capcom as a joke printed up some "fake" Mega Man 9 box art and the Capcom Japanese guys made t-shirts of it.  Check it out --

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

MY EYES! DEAR LORD!

And yes, I'm old enough to have actually seen said box art from MM1. Yes, it really was that ugly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »

Nintendo, please, give me a new Mario game like this.  I would love a new 8-bit style 2d Mario. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 24, 2008, 07:39:46 PM

Nintendo, please, give me a new Mario game like this.  I would love a new 8-bit style 2d Mario. 

As much as I love old-schooling it, I'd rather they make a 2D Mario with 3D graphics. Just make sure that Mario is restricted to the 2D plane.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 24, 2008, 08:48:23 PM

As much as I love old-schooling it, I'd rather they make a 2D Mario with 3D graphics. Just make sure that Mario is restricted to the 2D plane.

Um, they already did this, it's called New Super Mario Brothers and it's on the DS   slywink  icon_lol ... A sequel to that would be nice though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:56:07 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 24, 2008, 08:48:23 PM

the old pixel approach would be an improvement - getting rid of the cheesy fake-Italian voice overs and the dopey 3D rendering style.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »

There's a humorous (and frightening) video of the many different ways of dying in the game here.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »

I don't think I want this anymore.  I didn't play Mega Man for the insane difficulty, thankyouverymuch.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 27, 2008, 02:14:39 PM

I don't think I want this anymore.  I didn't play Mega Man for the insane difficulty, thankyouverymuch.

Demo completely turned me off the game.  I'm just not as hard core as I once was.  I really enjoyed the Bionic Commando Remake.  Mega Man 9?  Not so much. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 03:18:41 PM »

Back in my day, I played games like this on a daily basis and I LOVED it. You felt GOOD when you won, as it was a game of skill.

Unfortunately I have too many other games on my plate at the moment to grab this one.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2008, 03:18:41 PM

Back in my day, I played games like this on a daily basis and I LOVED it. You felt GOOD when you won, as it was a game of skill.

Unfortunately I have too many other games on my plate at the moment to grab this one.

you're just afraid you're not hardcore enough anymore, arentcha?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2008, 04:00:17 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 27, 2008, 03:18:41 PM

you're just afraid you're not hardcore e :icon_neutral:nough anymore, arentcha?  Tongue

YUP!  Back in the 8-bit day, I only had to read the back of a game box to know if I'd love it or hate it.  One catch-phrase for me was "intense arcade action!"  I'd just sigh and put the game back on the shelf. Zelda was fine, Shadowgate and Metroid were fine, but Gauntlet - I still have nightmares about that game.  But it's even worse nowadays,  I have to research the difficulty levels, camera modes, button-mashing requirements, and confusing selections of combo attacks, to know if I even have a chance of enjoying the game.  icon_neutral

That said, I still defy anyone to call me non-hardcore... I mean, I've had surgery so I could keep gaming, lol.  Yesterday I was playing Infinite Undiscoveries with both thumbs taped up, a tennis elbow brace, and an icepack Ace bandaged to my left forearm.  I think that should at least get me an Honorary Hardcore Gamer award, even though I'm starting to sorta stink at many games now!  Tongue 

What was the topic again?  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »

I think anyone who has a 360 and a Wii is foolish to consider the XBLA version as the truly craptastic d-pad on the 360 controller would make this game a nightmare to play. If you have the classic controller the Wiiware version would be the way to go, hell it would even play better with the Wiimotes d-pad than the 360. I've been playing VC Mega Man 2 on my Wii and it's definitely a tough as nails game, but the classic controller has at least given me a figthing chance.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 27, 2008, 07:00:30 PM

I think anyone who has a 360 and a Wii is foolish to consider the XBLA version as the truly craptastic d-pad on the 360 controller would make this game a nightmare to play. If you have the classic controller the Wiiware version would be the way to go, hell it would even play better with the Wiimotes d-pad than the 360. I've been playing VC Mega Man 2 on my Wii and it's definitely a tough as nails game, but the classic controller has at least given me a figthing chance.

But the graphics are better on the 360, for some reason.  And there are achievements.  Now who's the fool, fool?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 27, 2008, 07:44:30 PM

But the graphics are better on the 360, for some reason.  And there are achievements.  Now who's the fool, fool?

the person who obsessively goes after immaterial wonderpoints?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2008, 09:52:38 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 27, 2008, 07:44:30 PM

the person who obsessively goes after immaterial wonderpoints?  icon_twisted

They may be intangible, but they are material, my friend.  Oh, so material...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »

If anyone has any questions about the game I've been putting time into it daily since the PSN version released and have been loving every controller throwing minute.  It's awesome, and I'd say more like Mega Man 2 (the best of them all) than any other Mega Man title previously released.  If you were scared off by the difficulty of the demo I think you should know that in my opinion Concrete Man's level was a pretty rough one to throw at people for their first taste of the game.  It's not the hardest level (Tornado Man, wtf man?!) but there are three or four levels that are easier.  Galaxy Man and Splash Woman's stages in particular are much more manageable.  Jewel Man's stage is pretty reasonable as well but Jewel Man himself is pretty tough without having his counter-power.

People are talking about how tough the game is, but so far it really doesn't seem that much harder than Mega Man 2 was when it was new and unfamiliar.  MM9 is nowhere near approaching Ninja Gaiden difficulty, and so far MM9 has always felt fair.  Incredibly evil at times, but fair.  You do need to dust off your circa 1988 reflexes, though.

My hit list as of 9/30
Concrete Man
Galaxy Man
Hornet Man
Jewel Man
Magma Man
Plug Man
Splash Woman
Tornado Man

Plug Man, you're next.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:29:31 PM by wonderpug » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »

THIS IS ON PSN?  I AM SO THERE.

gellar
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »

I may have to pickup MM9 after the praise it has been getting. I picked up Mega Man 2 just a few days ago and it brings back many great gaming memories. I wished they had released the Wily Wars instead, but I doubt they will ever release that in the US.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

It is controller-throwingly frustrating.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 11:20:51 PM »

As if the achievements weren't hard enough, the game also has "challenges" such as "Finish the game without taking damage".  eek

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 06:38:03 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 03, 2008, 11:20:51 PM

As if the achievements weren't hard enough, the game also has "challenges" such as "Finish the game without taking damage".  eek

LMAO, I can't even finish Achievements that say "get so-and-so from point A to point B without letting them take damage."  Hell, if I can get them there alive, that ought to be good enough, but... finish the game without taking any hits?  No, that is just soooo wrong - although of course I know that many, many people will do it. Not me though, and you can bank on that!  thumbsdown

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 05:17:22 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 27, 2008, 05:32:02 PM

That said, I still defy anyone to call me non-hardcore... I mean, I've had surgery so I could keep gaming, lol.  Yesterday I was playing Infinite Undiscoveries with both thumbs taped up, a tennis elbow brace, and an icepack Ace bandaged to my left forearm.  I think that should at least get me an Honorary Hardcore Gamer award, even though I'm starting to sorta stink at many games now!  Tongue 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »

I can't finish the demo. I finally figured out how to beat the third elephant, but I just lost interest.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 07, 2008, 05:17:22 AM

Quote from: mytocles on September 27, 2008, 05:32:02 PM

LOL, thanks, Izzy!  I'm going to print that out - and maybe have a t-shirt made of it, too!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »

Looks like I may need to break out my boxed copy of MM1 and start playing to get in the mood.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: