http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:48:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Near Perfect Handheld...  (Read 1976 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2005, 05:17:13 PM »

Well, I love  the PSP. It is so much fun to play, and I dont feel like im playing a handheld when im playing it. However, there are some nagging probelms that really irritate me. Things I think sony whould have fixed or thought about before launching it. Here are my top 7 problems:

1. Battery indicator. Ok, we all know the PSP has a short battery life, but thats not even my complaint. I can deal with the short life, but why doesnt it let me know it is about to die? Why cant the indicatore turn red the way it does on the GBA and the DS. How did Sony not realize people would want this? I get irritated everytime it shuts off without warning. Just goes dead. Very frustrating.

2. Dead pixel issue. Enough said.

3. Game cases making the opening on the disc facing the removel side for most people. I have to remeber to remove it from the other side so I dont get my finger prints all over it. Easily fixable too, all they would have to do is change the cases. Not a big deal at all, but this post is about everything irritating me with it!

4. The battery doesnt charge while you are playing a game if it is plugged in. I was playing untold legends and I encountered problem number 1. So I plugged it in and continued playing (after restarting it). A few hours later (while still playing) I wanted to go play somewhere else, I unplugged it and walked away, only to have it die in less then 30 seconds. So frustrating.

5. Lack of a second anaolg stick. I love a good FPS game, and that is a little less possible without a second analog stick. I know it will be harder to enjoy at least.

6. Placement of the analog stick. I think it needs to be switched with teh d pad. My thumb gets very sore from the way I have to hold it to use the analog stick. I love the way the anaolg stick feels while playing, but its somewhat akward to use it. My hand cramped up yesterday while playing it  :shock: .

7. Lack of a self protecting design. I fixed it with only $10 by purchasing a little cover case for it. I dont think this is a major concern, but I think nintendo finally got it right, and sony hasnt seemed to learn fromt eh master about some of these issues yet.

Now, sinc this is my favorite handheld so far, I also want to point out the top 7 things for me with the system.

1. Games. Games, games games games. I have four games already, and at one time or another all of them have been called my favorite. Sony did the launch of games right. Lots avaliable, and lots of different varieties. While it is a bit heavy on the sports side, there are enough other games to help even this out.

2. Beautifull screen. Enough said, unless poblem number 2 is encountered.

3. Sleek design. Im not ashamed to pull it out in public. Its nifty, and everyone who has seen mine is impressed, and almsot all have said "I want that."

4. Built in wireless. Thank you sony, is all I can say.  Thank you thank you thank you.

5. Memory cards and USB compatability. While it sint the best MP3 player, it is funtcional, and the ability to put movies on it is great.

6. Analog stick. Yes! While it has some problems, it is a huge step up! I hope all handhelds in the future have analog sticks.

7. Sleep mode. A great feature, and it makes it much mroe compatible as a handheld.

Im really loving this little system. I was worried at first, but it has eased most of my fears. For one thing, the button issue seems to be a non issue. No problems there at all. The price was a problem at first, but the games are there, so once again, not a problem. Too bad sony didnt fix my first seven problems, this system would be perfect  frown .
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 06:58:32 PM »

The battery indicator blinks as it gets low on juice, but since your hand goes OVER the indicator, it's very possible you've missed it.

Also, I thought you COULD charge while playing, but I guess I was wrong.  Doesn't take long to charge however.

My biggest complaint is the use of Memory Sticks instead of the far more popular SD media.  Of course, being Sony, they just have to be stuboorn about it.  It's the VHS vs. Beta wars all over again, except Sony hasn't realized that they've lost.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 07:54:03 PM »

I agree with almost all of those points, Chrisoc13.  The game case one confuses me, though I hate that there's an exposed side to the cases at all.  How am I supposed to put those in my bag?  And why the hell is no one selling protective disc cases by themselves??  That is insane!

To me the biggest disappointment is with the analog stick only because it has huge potential, but it just misses by a little bit.  It should be switched with the d-pad, no question (or is that just my being more used to the Xbox controller - I always push the  square when I should be pushing X in games like NFL Street 2), and there absolutely should be two of them, if only because there hasn't been a single game yet that needs a 3D camera that has made acceptable camera controls.  But the biggest issue I have with the stick is that it's a little too sensitive.  Just a smidge, but enough to make real control moments (Tiger Woods comes to mind immediately, and some of the twitchier moments in Ape Escape) a pain.

I hope some game designers are building in an option so that you can switch to dual analog when that happens (and it will).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 08:51:12 PM »

There is a really cool Logitech case coming, that has a flip design that lets you stand the unit for movies, play games and shield the sun, etc.  A built in flip cover would be pretty cool I guess, but then some people would find other ways to cover it anyway.  I just think the PSP is more fragile by default then the Nintendo systems because of the nature of the screen and UMD drive.  The iPod doesn't have a case and people don't seem to complain.  That said, I do like the protection afforded by the Nintendo units, but I like the look of the PSP without one, so I'll be content with the Logitech case coming.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2362,CONTENTID=10181

I didn't know the unit didn't charge when you were playing games.  That sucks.  I agree that the battery is tough to determine as well, at least from what I've seen.  I just try and plug the PSP in nightly when I play it, so far it has been fine.  Not sure what'll happen when I go on a long trip with it.  Maybe I'll bring the GBASP and Advance Wars 2 for when the PSP dies ;-).

I have one dead pixel, not to big a deal.  If I had more then that I'd complain.  I barely notice it, usually just in Acid's load screens.

I completely agree about the analog stick's positioning!  I wish it was flipped with the dpad.  Maybe the d-pad will be used a lot in the future, but I really wish it was swapped.  I also wish another analog pad was present on the other side too.  FPS games will suck on the PSP without one, or any 3d games like Sly Cooper.

The PSP definitely has some flaws, but I think it is pretty solid.  I like the power/graphics so far, and am looking forward to some really good strategy games and RPGs.  Give me a game like Advance Wars but with PS2 graphics and I'll be in heaven!

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 09:15:01 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Im not ashamed to pull it out in public. Its nifty, and everyone who has seen mine is impressed, and almsot all have said "I want that."

I get that from women ALL the time! biggrin

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 09:25:14 PM »

LOL LOL

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 09:43:50 PM »

Battery time hasn't been a big issue for me at all.  I play whenever I do, and when I'm at home I just automatically plug it in to the charger whenever I'm not playing.  A couple of times the battery has been at 15% or so, but by that time I have the chance to charge it up.

And yep - I'm looking forward to some good RPGs and such as well.  Tenchi No Mon looks really good for a nice action/RPG that will HOPEFULLY be released in North America.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 09:47:17 PM »

Tenchi No Mon looks freakin' AWESOME

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 09:57:17 PM »

I am loving my PSP too.

I really wish it had a micro drive even a 5 gig one w/b be perfect.  That plus better music software would have made it the ultimate ipod killer.

re: analog stick...I am just glad to have one.  I am such a noob. At first at thought it was the speaker because of the texture on it.  Couldn't figure out how to move in Untold legends at first.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 10:51:22 PM »

Quote from: "algernon"
I really wish it had a micro drive even a 5 gig one w/b be perfect.  That plus better music software would have made it the ultimate ipod killer.

agreed - huge missed opportunity...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:35:19 AM »

I'd like to step in and cheer the psp for being a near perfect system as well. I am truely impressed with everything about these little gems.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 07:46:22 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

I disagree.  The PSP is way too big to be a practical audio device.  The 5gb microdrive could be great for putting videos on though.  I have no doubt that we will see drops in price for memory sticks in the future - I might even get a 1gb stick by the end of the year.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »

The PSP is a fantastic device, but it is in no way an iPod-killer. Would you take a PSP for jogging? Do you prefer using the D-pad to the iPod's scroll wheel? Do you like a small collection of unarranged songs in folders? The only-slightly-upgradeable-yet-incredibly-expensive proprietary memory is certainly an obstacle to Applecide.

I left the safety of my home with my PSP for the first time yesterday. The PSP is big, clunky, weighs down a jacket and won't fit in a pants pocket (and that's without a hard case), has a chintzy low-functioning remote (could a Sony MD remote work with the PSP?), the controls are poorly accessible by touch, it has low volume compared to other MP3 players, has a lower battery life, can't sync music lists...

I don't even think Apple makes the best MP3 player, but it has nothing to fear from the PSP.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 02:39:07 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Quote from: "semiconscious"

I disagree.  The PSP is way too big to be a practical audio device.  The 5gb microdrive could be great for putting videos on though.  I have no doubt that we will see drops in price for memory sticks in the future - I might even get a 1gb stick by the end of the year.

no, you're wrong slywink ...

okay, it's bigger (mostly heavier), but in a hard-shell case (with clip), still doable for jacket pocket, jogging, car audio (not to mention surgery audio - ipods've become pretty popular where i work), whatever - plus, for pretty much the same price as a pod, it can do all this other very cool video stuff...

i don't know,... maybe apple's lead is insurmountable at this point. one thing that has occurred to me is that maybe sony erred big-time with the name? by tying this 'digital media machine' directly to the playstation, they've, in a way, kinda thrown up a wall between it & the bigger world (aka market) of non-gamers - not a good thing if, like me, you really want the psp to succeed. they didn't have to do it - the new sony 'whatzit' would've worked for gamers just fine, & at the same time been a bit more interesting/seductive to people with little to no interest in games...

maybe i'm way off here, but, as i become more'n'more impressed by just how sweet the psp is, i'm thinking the almost exclusive gaming emphasis inherent in it's name was just an unfortunate piss-poor decision...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 05:24:30 PM »

There is a really cool Logitech case coming, that has a flip design that lets you stand the unit for movies, play games and shield the sun, etc. A built in flip cover would be pretty cool I guess, but then some people would find other ways to cover it anyway. I just think the PSP is more fragile by default then the Nintendo systems because of the nature of the screen and UMD drive. The iPod doesn't have a case and people don't seem to complain. That said, I do like the protection afforded by the Nintendo units, but I like the look of the PSP without one, so I'll be content with the Logitech case coming.

Just to be clear, my complaint is about the lack of game cases.  I'm actually fine with the slip-case Sony provided for the unit itself.  I remember griping when Nintendo got rid of protective cases for GB games as well (I think when they switched to GBC), but those were not exposed to the world as the PSP discs are.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 09:13:11 PM »

ps: out looking for mac/psp software, & found this (from macworld's psp hands-on preview)

Conclusion

Is the PSP an iPod killer, like some pundits would have you believe? Hardly. As a music player the PSP isn't as convenient, easy to use or full-featured as an iPod. It's bulkier, has more limited storage capacity and considerably worse battery life, too. My aging 15GB third-generation iPod won't be usurped by the PSP as my portable music player of choice.

But as an all-around entertainment platform, the PSP wins hands down. Not only does the PSP appeal to gamers -- Nintendo, look out -- but it reaches out to a much broader market of mainstream consumers who want a system versatile enough to do it all -- music, games, movies and photos. The PSP isn't the first device to test these waters, but from what I've seen, it has every bit the genre-reinventing power that the iPod had when it sprung onto the scene.

again, a different name might've helped, 'genre-reinventing'-wise...

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 10:37:31 PM »

The PSP has me torn.  In some ways it's one of the cooles gadgets to be released since the iPod.  In other ways it tries to be too much and comes across half-baked.  The iPod (and all other MP3 players for that matter) is a superior for the capacity and organization.  Portable DVD players allow me to utilize my 300+ disc colleciton without having to rebuy them all again.  It's nice to be able to view photos, but there's no way to plug it in to my TV for a slideshow.

I agree that the lack of a microdrive is disappointing, but understandable.  The price would've been jacked up too far.  If they could come out with a UMD writer and conversion program that would allow me to burn my movies it would be huge.

And I question if Sony is really going after the iPod market.  Personally I don't think they are at all.  I certainly wouldn't lug this thing around as it is just too clunky to be practical.  I can see having this in my laptop bag or inside coat pocket.  But it certainly won't go in your pants pocket and would make walking awkward even in a cargo pant pocket.  It just seems that they've wedged themselves in between markets. They're more feature rich than the Gameboys, lack alot of features of even some of the basic MP3 players and force us to buy our movie collection over again.  Then again the portable gaming experience is tops (except for the thumbstick placement).  I'm both excited and disappointed in it all at the same time.

That and dead freakin' pixel issues.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 01:00:55 AM »

Well, my impression has always been that the PSP was a gaming machine first, and a MP3/Video/Wireless Internet Access Thingy second.  So I guess it doesn't worry me that it appears to do its primary task very well and its secondary tasks above average.

Really I'd like to find something to complain about regarding the PSP, but, well, I can't.

(BTW:  $50 says we'll never see a UMD writer.  Why the hell would Sony use a proprietary format, then willingly open it up to pirates?!)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 01:02:24 AM »

This may be a stupid question but what is teh easiest way to change my music over to mp3 from wma. I have tons of music on my computer, but almost all of it is in wma format. I dont want to re rip it all, whats the easiest way to convert it? Ive done it before, just dont remember how.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 01:14:35 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
This may be a stupid question but what is teh easiest way to change my music over to mp3 from wma. I have tons of music on my computer, but almost all of it is in wma format. I dont want to re rip it all, whats the easiest way to convert it? Ive done it before, just dont remember how.
You'll need a converter--just google for one, there are a zillion out there.  Alternatively, go to CNet and find the highest-rated freeware one and use that.

Be warned, though: CD->WMA->MP3 is going to sound worse than CD->MP3.  Whether that's noticable or not is largely up to your ear to decide.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: