http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Movies - Release Day! Now with REAL Impressions!  (Read 8155 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
(Doing my best from memory)

Here are a few sets - Rural cabin, starship bridge, starship corridor, basement, desert, bombed out street, western town, urban bedroom, saloon, and western bank.  There are a total of 45.  

As for the horror movies - yes, you can make zombie movies, 'creature from the black lagoon' type movies, mummies, vampires, etc.  And yes, you can put a good variety of makeup on your actors so they look dead, beat up, goth, etc.  When I get two seconds to push together I'll get you a better list.  Hope that helps.

Actually that rocks!  See, I would never have suspected that much variety in monsters alone.  Putting makeup effects on actors is a big thing, that by itself guarantees alot of flexibility in what you can do.   Thanks for answering.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 01:14:04 AM »

Don't worry - you can dress your own freaks.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 01:25:39 AM »

So what kind of modabiliy does it have?  can you customize the skins on the the sets if you wanted to?  I know that you can reskin the face, I've done it in starmaker.  However, I'm curious if can, say, give that modern prison cell a futuristic makeover.
One of the better movies out there right now was a space epic, but it flashed to a prison scene that took place in a modern cell.  It was a bit offputting, can props like the water cooler be removed?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2005, 02:31:24 AM »

So I've been taking the time to watch some of the posted movies on the Lionhead site, hoping to get a sense of the possibilities.  

Of course most of it is crap, but 'Church of Blood' is very cool!  It is a very short movie, but it is very well edited and shows off some really good camera angles.  That's the kind of movie that makes me want to buy the game.  I hope there's more in the next couple of days since the game is out.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2005, 03:46:18 AM »

ok i have a question that you might have mentioned Ron in your review or others might have mentioned but i haven't noticed.......
how long in gameplay terms does it take to be able to throw a short film together?  i'm a casual gamer and i love this concept but dont have 30 hours of gaming to play before i could really do something.  does the sandbox mode give you the opportunity to get up and running right from the get go?
and again, sorry if this has been mentioned.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 04:26:23 AM »

Sandbox features are unlocked by performing the relevant research in the single player game.  You can certainly stitch together basic movies from a good selection of scenes right from the start, but none of the more advanced features will be available unless you spend some time going through the campaign.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »

The real question is, when do we start seeing complete movie remakes in The Movies?

I'd like to see a remake of The Matrix, Eternal Sunshine, and Serenity. Tongue
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 06:26:17 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

Almost immediately, I find myself wishing I could pull the game camera back further.  Even at the furthest zoom level, I feel like I have to scroll around a lot to determine a good location for the latest set or building.

If you press the "M" key, you get a zoomed out over view of the lot and can place buildings from this vantage point.

Just started the game and time flew by.  My lot looks like crap.  I need to work on where I build my sets.  Some other people have said it is good to focus on a couple of genres.  I agree.  So far most movies only have a single lead with extras.  I figure I can have a couple actors specializing in two genres each and have two directors specializing in two genres each and I'll pretty much be covered.

So far I'm having a blast.  I can't wait to get to more modern times and sets.  I'm really curious how the new technology is brought into play.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »

I'm loving it, too!  Don't forget the importance of not diluting your screenwriting pool, too.  It may take longer to write a movie, but the quality shoots up.

xbox live: nude rick james
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2005, 04:28:23 PM »

Attack of the Space Chickens! is the bee's knees.  I'm sorry, the SPACE bee's knees.  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2005, 06:35:10 PM »

Woot! I got it. Installing now. Got my orange juice and two bags of Reese's Bites. I'm going offline and I'll see you guys tommorow with detailed impressions.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2005, 10:30:17 PM »

I'm loving it, too! Don't forget the importance of not diluting your screenwriting pool, too. It may take longer to write a movie, but the quality shoots up.

Wait...assigning one screenwriter yields a better script than having multiple people working on it?  I was assuming that collaboration among multiple screenwriters would make for a better movie, but the game never told me one way or the other.

Maybe this explains why I'm getting consistently stomped in the awards.  frown

-Autistic Angel
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2005, 10:42:45 PM »

I was assuming that collaboration among multiple screenwriters would make for a better movie, but the game never told me one way or the other.

Not if it's true to Hollywood at all.  For example...

Stupid memory.  Failing me know.  See if I care! *huffs*

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »

I'm loving it, too! Don't forget the importance of not diluting your screenwriting pool, too. It may take longer to write a movie, but the quality shoots up.

Wait...assigning one screenwriter yields a better script than having multiple people working on it?  I was assuming that collaboration among multiple screenwriters would make for a better movie, but the game never told me one way or the other.

Maybe this explains why I'm getting consistently stomped in the awards.  frown

-Autistic Angel

You'll get stomped until about 1945, and then if you work hard you'll get your first one.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

Haha, that space chicken movie is pretty funny! Darn you, GT effect! I'm getting closer to buying this every minute...
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2005, 11:48:01 PM »

Ok, I've decided to put my money where my mouth is and upload my first creation using the Advanced Movie Maker... here it is: http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/1036 Feel free to point and jeer and tell me how bad it is. biggrin

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2005, 12:42:51 AM »

This kind of worries me Orgull, I know you're a big fan of this game and if THAT is what you can turn out, that doesn't say alot for the movie making capabilities of this game.

By the way, I'm Cecilbdemovies over there and gave you a 3.  That's because, relative to the stuff that's being posted, I felt your movie earned it.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2005, 01:40:42 AM »

Thanks gameoverman. You realize that was just my first attempt at using the AMM? I'll get better with practice, I promise! slywink

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2005, 05:52:34 AM »

I hope you do because your competition is getting better.   The quality of movies being posted is improving dramatically.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2005, 06:48:28 AM »

you HAVE to watch the movie, Scholastic Films Intelligent Design.

Its got my vote for 5 stars.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2005, 06:57:13 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that's the best movie I've seen there so far.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »

Picked it up last night arounf 8pm, next time I looked at the clock it was midnight. I wasn't even interested in this movie until this thread got going.

I find the stars to be fairly frustrating, requiring micromanagement. I think I'm cranking out too many movies keepign their stress up. I wanted to grind a bunch of movies to give my crew experience, but they don't seem to be getting much better.

I've thought about the screenwriting thing, I've been using 3 screenwriters collaborating, which helped me crank out movies like crazy. But their skill isn't going up very much.

Here's a question:
Can a destroy a building I don't need any longer? (old screenwriters building after I got the new one)

I'm also floundering for strategies to develop talent without destroying their novelty...

This game is definitely deeper than I guessed at the outset, there's a lot to dig into. The movies that are generated by screenwriters are amusingly bad. Maybe this weekend I'll do something better with the AMM and take it into post-production and see what I can turn out. Endless possibilities.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2005, 05:44:08 PM »

Is there anyway that you can superimpose pictures of your family members or friends over the faces of the actors?
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2005, 07:05:19 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Picked it up last night arounf 8pm, next time I looked at the clock it was midnight. I wasn't even interested in this movie until this thread got going.

I find the stars to be fairly frustrating, requiring micromanagement. I think I'm cranking out too many movies keepign their stress up. I wanted to grind a bunch of movies to give my crew experience, but they don't seem to be getting much better.

I've thought about the screenwriting thing, I've been using 3 screenwriters collaborating, which helped me crank out movies like crazy. But their skill isn't going up very much.

Here's a question:
Can a destroy a building I don't need any longer? (old screenwriters building after I got the new one)

I'm also floundering for strategies to develop talent without destroying their novelty...

This game is definitely deeper than I guessed at the outset, there's a lot to dig into. The movies that are generated by screenwriters are amusingly bad. Maybe this weekend I'll do something better with the AMM and take it into post-production and see what I can turn out. Endless possibilities.

Don't underestimate the tactic of churning out short crappy films, to keep the cash flowing, while you work on a blockbuster.  That's an argument for keeping the old writers' building.  You can have a worse writer work on his skills there and make crappy scripts (either to sell or to produce) while your best writer works alone to generate quality stuff at the fancier writers' building.  

Just a thought...

xbox live: nude rick james
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2005, 12:32:08 AM »

My Trip Through The Movies is the best one I've seen so far. Longer than most(8 mins 45 secs), but worth it.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »

lol My Trip through The Movies is brilliant.  the voice acting was too funny!

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2005, 01:33:23 AM »

The first couple of days watching people's movies, I thought that good subtitles would be enough.  

Now I'm thinking that voice overs will be the dividing line between 'good' movies and the rest.  Intelligent Design and Trip through The Movies just would not be as good with subtitles.

This is kind of bizarre in a way, since it mirrors the transition between real silent films and the talkies, how some stars lost their careers because they didn't sound good and therefore couldn't find work in talkies.

There's going to be a division between people who can't, or won't, do custom audio for their movies, and the people who have real voice talent.  I think subtitle users are in for some frustration as no one bothers to watch or rate their movies once they find out there are voice overs in it.

It's going to be alot of fun watching The Movies's community grow!
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2005, 12:22:38 PM »

I can't seem to stop playing this game!  About 5 hours ago I said "just one more movie..."

And here I am at 4:30 in the AM.

I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time.  Maybe not since X-Com.  Hmmm, X-Com. Maybe I can make an X-Com movie...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2005, 02:14:12 PM »

Gameoverman, I think you're right.  Silent vs. Talky will be a dividing line within the community itself.  For very valid reasons.  What I'm most curious about is how this will effect foreign players.  Will they keep voice overs in their native tongues while providing subtitles?  Will they forego subtitles?  Will they, instead of trying to fake English in audio or text, strive to tell their story through good acting and the vagueries of "simlish," following in The Tripletts of Belleville's footsteps?  And how will the community react to these various attempts?

I can't wait to see what storytelling methods develop with this thing.  It's gonna be a fun ride.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2005, 04:51:43 PM »

I restarted last night, considering my first 15 years or so a practice run. I'm doin better but still finding it hard to do all the things I want to do. I have some stars with some decent skills in various genres and directors to go along with them, but I can't seem to find the time to work in relationships which I assume will be what makes a star a star

I'm in the early 40s now and have yet to pull of an award. I've had a number one movie, but not at the right time for an award. I've had a number 2 star and been the number 2 production house. I have 1.8m dollars but I can't seem to buy myself an award win.

I'm loving the tycoon portion of the game, despite the problems I'm having. I need a hint book Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2005, 04:55:52 PM »

Thanks so much for making me go out and pick up this game...curse you all!!!!....biggrin

If you're in Canada and haven't picked up the game yet, it's currently on sale for 20 bucks off at Futureshop and Bestbuy $39.99 (Cdn).  I think the sale ends today though.

Just picked up my copy and have to wait till later today or tomorrow before I can get to install it and try it out.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2005, 02:45:35 AM »

Quote from: "Goonch"
Is there anyway that you can superimpose pictures of your family members or friends over the faces of the actors?

I did some skins with Starmaker a while back.  It was fairly involved and required a custom tool made by the fan base to extract the .pak file.  You could then use either Photoshop or the GIMP(GIMP  also invloved another freeware application to make the file translations because GIMP doesn't directly support the graphic file format like Photoshop) to overlay a picture onto the skinmap.   Of course, the skin isn't all you will need to make it look like someone you know, you will then need to get the face mesh right in starmaker.

Check out the Lionhead forums.  There should be a sub-forum for modding with a few FAQs.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2005, 10:55:43 PM »

Quote from: "ingrin"
Quote from: "Goonch"

I did some skins with Starmaker a while back.  It was fairly involved and required a custom tool made by the fan base to extract the .pak file.  You could then use either Photoshop or the GIMP(GIMP  also invloved another freeware application to make the file translations because GIMP doesn't directly support the graphic file format like Photoshop) to overlay a picture onto the skinmap.   Of course, the skin isn't all you will need to make it look like someone you know, you will then need to get the face mesh right in starmaker.

Check out the Lionhead forums.  There should be a sub-forum for modding with a few FAQs.

Thanks, however, that sounds a little too complicated right now. Maybe in the future it will open up. Until then I'm not really that interested.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2005, 12:52:20 AM »

So I bit the bullet and picked this game up.  I used the ini file techniques from the Lionhead forums to unlock everything in sandbox mode.  I goofed around briefly with the regular 'tycoon' game mode, it was surprisingly compelling.  I like to tinker with stuff and the tycoon mode lets you get your hands into basically everything.  Assuming micromanagement doesn't bug you, it's alot more fun than I thought it would be.

But really, I got it for the movie making and I'm not disappointed.  There's alot more depth than I thought there'd be from reading everyone's posts and seeing their movies.   Sure, you could say "Well, I can't do this....I can't do that...etc"  but there is so much you CAN do that you will get untold hours of moviemaking out of this before you have exhausted your options.   Heck, I've spent I don't know how long just in Starmaker, recreating my favorite moviestars before I even filmed a scene.

If you're a movie fan and like the idea of a game that lets you make your own movies, you HAVE TO HAVE this game, believe me.

I won't be posting a movie for a while, I figure it's gonna take me about a week to get the mechanics down, create my stars, and explore all the sets and scenes available before I'm ready to actually make a 'real' movie.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2005, 01:11:39 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
Heck, I've spent I don't know how long just in Starmaker, recreating my favorite moviestars before I even filmed a scene.

Wonder how easy it would be to remake films and recast the roles.  Maybe see what Raiders of the Lost Ark would've been like with Tom Selleck.  Or stick someone actually competent and attractive in the Andie MacDowell role in every film she's ever been in.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2005, 01:45:51 AM »

Here's something to inspire us:

This is a link to a thread on the Lionhead forum where someone has posted a tutorial on using Fraps and an external editor to make movies.  Included is a rapidshare link to a sample movie he(or she) made.  The movie itself is more of a music video, nothing particulary special, but it shows the true potential of this game.

Machinima is nothing new, but I'm convinced that this game makes it so much easier than ever before.  You could use various methods with other games to make movies with them, but this game is designed with moviemaking in mind- it's gold I tell ya!   That is IF you're into this sort of thing(which I am).
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"

I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time.  Maybe not since X-Com.  Hmmm, X-Com. Maybe I can make an X-Com movie...

Back off bucko, it was my idea first!
(I'm Skipdutch in this post)
http://www.czarbroadcastingnetwork.com/home/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=384&sid=2dd6c576dc4a3a06681ecb52ab7c2068
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2005, 02:30:18 AM »

I finally have something to complaing about in The Movies!

I wish it were easier to remove objects.  Or that they had made all the trailers have the same footprint.  When it is time to get rid of a trailer, unless I am missing something, I have to laboriously drag each item of furniture and each plant I put there, and then right click to get rid of them.

It takes an awful lot of time.  If they had made the trailers all take up the same space, I could just blow one up and drop a better one in its place.  If I do that without dragging all the crap away, the space the trailer has to put things in is tiny.

So, if I am missing some "erase object" tool, please let me know.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »

If anyone wants custom back drops
http://www.tmws.themoviesplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=964#964
Semaj

View Profile
hrm
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2005, 04:58:51 PM »

Anyone know the best way to help your actors reduce stress?

I'm before the first award show and everyone I have is stressed, I got a ton of stuff, but none of it seems to do much for reliving stress.

Do I justs end em all to the bar 24/7 and make em alchoholics?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: